PDA

View Full Version : Some weekend baaseball thoughts

bulldogcountry1
02-26-2016, 10:43 AM
It goes without saying that we need to go 4-0 this weekend, but there are things I would like to see that would be more encouraging, big picture-wise.

- We've GOT to have some solid starting pitching performances from first pitch for 6+ innings. No struggling thought first before getting settled in.

- Along the same lines, we need to have more quick innings, defensively. I looked back, and we had only 5 1-2-3 innings all weekend. Just like last year, it feels like we had to fight for every out, and we can never make anything easy. We also let the leadoff get on way too many times.

- Collins better keep hitting like an All-American because he is a liability on defense. He only played in 3 games and had 3 errors and a passed ball. We know that Cohen has little tolerance for poor defensive play, but I also think Collins continues to get the benefit of the doubt through this weekend.

- Cody Brown needs more opportunities against RHP.

- Keep playing Marrero. He looks a bit lost at the plate, but he managed to get hit first hit on Sunday. That should give him a boost. He looks more like a seasoned Junior behind the plate, and he needs PT. I don't know what the timetable is on Kruger's arm, but if he's even comparable to Marrero defensively, then that will make us better by freeing up the DH spot.

- I want to see some intensity and some leadership out there, and not just when someone hits a double. I want to see some mofos who freaken hate to lose and fight until the end.

Taog Redloh
02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm a big fan of Marrero, but I'm not sure we have a spot for him right now. I think he's going to be one of our best players the next two years though, make no mistake about that.

Kruger has to play, and all he can do is DH right now. Collins has to hit, but he sucks at 3B. Seems the only solution is moving Collins back to C until Kruger's arm heals, then DH-ing Collins.

msstate7
02-26-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm a big fan of Marrero, but I'm not sure we have a spot for him right now. I think he's going to be one of our best players the next two years though, make no mistake about that.

Kruger has to play, and all he can do is DH right now. Collins has to hit, but he sucks at 3B. Seems the only solution is moving Collins back to C until Kruger's arm heals, then DH-ing Collins.

Not sure Collins' offense would make up for his subpar catching. Our pitchers need all the help they can get and I think lovelady (terrible bat and all) is who needs to catch

Tbonewannabe
02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Not sure Collins' offense would make up for his subpar catching. Our pitchers need all the help they can get and I think lovelady (terrible bat and all) is who needs to catch

We know what we get with Lovelady so do we go with Marrero right now and hope he starts to hit? I am not sure I saw a big difference in Marrero and Lovelady defensively. Is Lovelady just better at calling the pitches?

msstate7
02-26-2016, 11:56 AM
We know what we get with Lovelady so do we go with Marrero right now and hope he starts to hit? I am not sure I saw a big difference in Marrero and Lovelady defensively. Is Lovelady just better at calling the pitches?

No problem with playing marrero early. I was just comparing lovelady to Collins for some odd reason and didn't even think of marrero. I just prefer lovelady over Collins

Taog Redloh
02-26-2016, 12:02 PM
No problem with playing marrero early. I was just comparing lovelady to Collins for some odd reason and didn't even think of marrero. I just prefer lovelady over Collins

I may be reaching here, but I'm not convinced Collins absolutely HAS to play. I want to see Stovall at 3B.

msstate7
02-26-2016, 12:05 PM
I may be reaching here, but I'm not convinced Collins absolutely HAS to play. I want to see Stovall at 3B.

I don't like being weak defensively at 3b and LF for sure. Hopefully Collins will pick it up at 3b.

Looks like I'll be dealing with this all summer too with the braves likely fielding Olivera and Garcia haha

bulldogcountry1
02-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Collins need to show that he is different than Reynolds.