PDA

View Full Version : Statistical Craziness

messageboardsuperhero
02-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Our record is currently 5-10 in conference, but look at the PPG averages between us and our opponents in league play:

MSU PPG: 72.5
Opposition PPG: 72.8

We're a lot closer to a middle of the pack SEC team than the record would indicate.

msstate7
02-26-2016, 08:32 AM
One position (pf) has held us back from being an nit team

Tbonewannabe
02-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Howland also didn't have very long to improve the team before we were playing games. You can tell a big difference from the beginning of the season and now. Several of the teams we lost to early, now we would beat the shit out of them. Malik being hurt pretty much the whole year has also affected us making the NIT or even the tournament. If Malik is 100% for the year then I think we would at least be on the bubble.

gravedigger
02-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Our record is currently 5-10 in conference, but look at the PPG averages between us and our opponents in league play:

MSU PPG: 72.5
Opposition PPG: 72.8

We're a lot closer to a middle of the pack SEC team than the record would indicate.

As someone who works in statistics, it amazes me how the point you made is missed so often. Of course cliches keep us from realizing it.

"I dont care as long as we win"
"There are no moral victories"
"Second place is just the first loser"

But stats tell us something else. Trends.

FreeBoosie
02-26-2016, 09:42 AM
We have lost 9 games by 6 points or less.(6 of those are SEC games)

Dawgtini
02-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Howland also didn't have very long to improve the team before we were playing games. You can tell a big difference from the beginning of the season and now. Several of the teams we lost to early, now we would beat the shit out of them. Malik being hurt pretty much the whole year has also affected us making the NIT or even the tournament. If Malik is 100% for the year then I think we would at least be on the bubble.
I agree. Malik not being 100% has held us and him back. It's a shame, but if by chance he comes back it could end up being something of a silver lining for next year.

msstate7
02-26-2016, 10:09 AM
We have lost 9 games by 6 points or less.(6 of those are SEC games)

We lost 9 by 6 or less last year with 8 being sec games. I'm happy with Howland, but we've underachieved this year

Liverpooldawg
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
We lost 9 by 6 or less last year with 8 being sec games. I'm happy with Howland, but we've underachieved this year

Underachieved? If anything they have overachieved. It's hard to win when you basically only have two or possibly three players with the talent to really play in your league. They have improved a lot during the year, even the less talented ones. For the first time in a long time we look like a basketball team.

msstate7
02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Underachieved? If anything they have overachieved. It's hard to win when you basically only have two or possibly three players with the talent to really play in your league. They have improved a lot during the year, even the less talented ones. For the first time in a long time we look like a basketball team.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we should've beat southern, umkc, aTm (without house), and tenn at home