PDA

View Full Version : Craig Sword

mk1984
02-25-2016, 11:08 AM
In my opinion he deserves a big shout out and is a big reason this team is playing much better. Throughout the season many of you have made the statement "I can't wait for this senior class to be gone." I for one wish Sword had another year under Howland. I think it goes to show how bad Rick Ray was as a coach and how good Howland is in developing players.

Please don't turn this into a bash Coach Ray thread but rather a praise of Sword for his hard work. He could have given up the way his Senior year started but he has improved throughout the year.

The thing I have always noticed about Sword is he always gives 100%. Its not always pretty but his effort is never lacking. I think he has developed into a great leader. One last comment about Sword is a moment of true leadership was after we beat Vandy at the buzzer the players exited the court except for Q who was doing an interview. As soon as the interview is over Sword comes sprinting out of the tunnel to celebrate with Q. Not only did he give Q his moment of glory he also was genuinely happy for him. Mind you this was all after he had fouled out of the game and could have went to the end of the bench and pouted but no he continued to cheer on his teammates and was involved in every time out.

He is a true leader and think he deserves a little praise especially after the beating he took on here throughout the season.

Political Hack
02-25-2016, 11:10 AM
He played like a Sr last night. Looked great and played within himself only forcing the issue when he really had to. Outside of one missed free throw down the stretch, I don't think he could've played any better.

Great post too. He's been ripped, often time unfairly IMO, on the boards. Good to see him get recognition when he deserves praise.

It_Could_Happen
02-25-2016, 11:17 AM
I know he's a junior but you can say the same about IJ as well. I really like how he has found a role and bought into it. He isn't taking nearly as many shots and when he does he makes most of them.

Coach34
He has played hard and had his moments- but he missed another crucial FT in the last 2 mins last nite. Those are often the difference in winning and losing. I do respect him and his effort- and he did come back after the FT to hit a big shot to tie the game. But those crucial points at the line always huge- and another miss when we had to have it.

BrunswickDawg
I'm feeling the same about Ware too. They have come into their own with this team.

Tbonewannabe
He plays great Defense also. I wish we had him for one more year. We lost a lot of close games getting up to speed on how Howland wants this team to play. I hope he gets the chance to play somewhere next year.

shannondawg
02-25-2016, 11:19 AM
I know he's a junior but you can say the same about IJ as well. I really like how he has found a role and bought into it. He isn't taking nearly as many shots and when he does he makes most of them.

My sentiments exactly. Glad he is coming back.

It_Could_Happen
02-25-2016, 11:21 AM
My sentiments exactly. Glad he is coming back.

Agreed I know Newman is most likely back, and there is a lot of hype surrounding peters, but I really think IJ can contribute next year. It may be off the bench but I do think he will contribute.

maroonmania
02-25-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm glad the team is still playing hard and I look really forward to next year but I'm still VERY disappointed it took as long as it did for Howland to get this team to finally start playing at a competitive level to have a chance to win some SEC games. Should have happened much earlier with a team as veteran as this one. I can't get too pumped about the good wins lately because they are still meaningless in the sense that we have no shot at any postseason. Besides Q and maybe Newman (depending on whether he stays), we are still essentially starting over with a brand new team next year. But no doubt it will be a much more talented team but lacking in experience.

chef dixon
02-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Has been BY FAR our best player the last 4 years.

Tbonewannabe
02-25-2016, 03:01 PM
I'm glad the team is still playing hard and I look really forward to next year but I'm still VERY disappointed it took as long as it did for Howland to get this team to finally start playing at a competitive level to have a chance to win some SEC games. Should have happened much earlier with a team as veteran as this one. I can't get too pumped about the good wins lately because they are still meaningless in the sense that we have no shot at any postseason. Besides Q and maybe Newman (depending on whether he stays), we are still essentially starting over with a brand new team next year. But no doubt it will be a much more talented team but lacking in experience.

I also had high hopes of maybe making the tourney but at least the NIT. If you look at Howland's history, he pretty much takes the first year to get the program stable. After that comes big jumps in records. Hell, he had to teach everyone how to set a pick. If he had more time before the season I am sure we would probably haved looked at the beginning how we look now.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
02-25-2016, 10:14 PM
speaking of Sword....Does anyone know how he got the nickname "Chicken"?