PDA

View Full Version : Herard

msstate7
02-25-2016, 08:15 AM
What type of big man is he? Is he gonna be a scorer or mainly a defensive guy?

louisvilledawg
02-25-2016, 09:32 AM
I think he'll be an offensive guy. Saw some of his highlights and looks to have decent footwork and is good with his back to the basket. I haven't seen a jump shot, just shots around the rim. Which is probably want we want with a guy that's 6'11".

His junior year he avg 16.0 pts and 10.6 reb a game

defiantdog
02-25-2016, 10:01 AM
I think he'll be an offensive guy. Saw some of his highlights and looks to have decent footwork and is good with his back to the basket. I haven't seen a jump shot, just shots around the rim. Which is probably want we want with a guy that's 6'11".

His junior year he avg 16.0 pts and 10.6 reb a game

I've always heard that he was a defensive guy.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-25-2016, 10:19 AM
offensively I see him as a guy who works to get position & then take high percentage shots around the basket. No range but I can see him developing a 10-15 ft jumper like Gavin did his last 2 years.

Defensively I see him as a post up defender more than a rim-protector. He will keep guys from getting position, & be strong in 1-on-1 situations, whereas Ado will be more of a help side shot blocker.

I think his main asset is strength & on both sides he will do most of his work before the ball gets to the paint. My comparison is Al Jefferson. Great around the basket & hard to move out of his spot.

HoopsDawg
02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
What type of big man is he? Is he gonna be a scorer or mainly a defensive guy?

He's sort of a throwback, back to the basket big man. I worry about him getting in foul trouble, but we will have good depth next year with Ado. Ado is mainly a defensive guy right now, but should be a threat offensively in a couple of years.

archdog
02-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Our version of Shaquille O'Neal. No matter what anyone says. We need a new force down low.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
My biggest question with Herard right now is his conditioning. We need him to get in great shape like Gavin has done. He's a huge guy but he needs to tone up his body & work on his conditioning because he'll be our primary source of interior scoring. He won't have to carry the offense but if he can give us 8-12ppg & 5-7rpg that would be huge for us.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Our version of Shaquille O'Neal. No matter what anyone says. We need a new force down low.

Easy Romeo

Political Hack
02-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Ado is the defensive big man and will be a trash man on offense. With his length I could see him being a 4-8 PTs per night, 8-12 rebounds, and 4-6 blocks. I think he'll be the closest thing to Jarvis we've had in the paint since Swat left. I also think Howland will strongly consider playing Ado a lot if Herard isn't ready to step in and score 10+ points a game and run the floor like a guard.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Ado is the defensive big man and will be a trash man on offense. With his length I could see him being a 4-8 PTs per night, 8-12 rebounds, and 4-6 blocks. I think he'll be the closest thing to Jarvis we've had in the paint since Swat left. I also think Howland will strongly consider playing Ado a lot if Herard isn't ready to step in and score 10+ points a game and run the floor like a guard.

I love Ado's potential on defense but he is beyond raw on offense. If he's playing more than Herard he made an incredible jump in these next 10 months or we're in big trouble.

Big4Dawg
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
I've always heard that he was a defensive guy.

Heart is more of an all-around center. Ado is the defensive guy w/ his 7'4" wingspan. "The 6-foot-11 center averaged 9.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 7.3 blocks per game for the Hawks during his sophomore campaign." I can't find his junior stats but did find this:

"There's only two players in the NBA with a longer wingspan than Abdul," said Linzy Davis, Ado's guardian. "He is the best shot-blocker I have coached, which includes LaMarcus Aldridge and the Lopez twins [Brook and Robin]. When NBA coaches compare what Abdul can do at the NBA level versus other players, he has a chance to be a lottery pick. There will be a lot of NBA clubs who will see Abdul as the missing piece. He reads pick-and-rolls, can defend the 3, 4 and 5 positions, blocks shots, rebound and beat his man down the floor. His best days are ahead of him as Ben Howland develops Abdul."

Thick
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Signing another PF, and going to Italy in August will be very helpful for this young group. Next year should be fun to watch the talent evolve and come together. Very smart on Howland's part to jump start the relationship building process in my opinion.

trob115
02-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Any new names on guys we want to add to this class?

Political Hack
02-25-2016, 11:08 AM
I love Ado's potential on defense but he is beyond raw on offense. If he's playing more than Herard he made an incredible jump in these next 10 months or we're in big trouble.

Everyone looks at offense to compare players though. Ado is head and shoulders better at protecting the rim. It's not close. In fact no one we've put on the floor since Jarvis is close. I don't see how you sit someone who is an elite level game changer on the squad we'll have next year. I understand you have to get Herard his minutes, but I'd be damned if I did it at the expense of taking an elite shot blocker off the floor when you know 90% of your scoring production is coming from G's and F's.

HoopsDawg
02-25-2016, 11:09 AM
My biggest question with Herard right now is his conditioning. We need him to get in great shape like Gavin has done. He's a huge guy but he needs to tone up his body & work on his conditioning because he'll be our primary source of interior scoring. He won't have to carry the offense but if he can give us 8-12ppg & 5-7rpg that would be huge for us.

That's where the foul trouble will creep in- lack of conditioning.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Everyone looks at offense to compare players though. Ado is head and shoulders better at protecting the rim. It's not close. In fact no one we've put on the floor since Jarvis is close. I don't see how you sit someone who is an elite level game changer on the squad we'll have next year. I understand you have to get Herard his minutes, but I'd be damned if I did it at the expense of taking an elite shot blocker off the floor when you know 90% of your scoring production is coming from G's and F's.

Even Swat only played about 15min/game his freshman year.

fishwater99
02-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Signing another PF, and going to Italy in August will be very helpful for this young group. Next year should be fun to watch the talent evolve and come together. Very smart on Howland's part to jump start the relationship building process in my opinion.

The summer trip will be great for the team..