PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting info ...

dawgday166
02-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Rosie made the point in his Boneyard today that we've never had a great defense in the Mullen era ... which I can't argue with too much.

Something interesting I discovered tho ... some food for thought.

Taking a look at some history ... in 2009 2 of seven losses scored 19 and 3 points (that's the best year and not too bad). 2010 scored 14 or less in 3 of 4 losses. in 2011 scored 17 or less in 5 of six losses. In 2012 scored 17 or less in 3 of 5 losses and another one where we scored 20. 2013 scored 16 or less in 3 of 6 losses and another one where only 20 were scored. In 2014 scored 20 or less in 2 of 3 losses. In 2015 scored 19 or less in 3 of 4 losses.

It runs both ways. If I counted correctly, Mullen has lost 12 games when 21 or more points were scored and 5 of those were in 2009. Again if I counted correctly, 23 times a game has been lost while scoring less than 20. I did a little additional research and last year only 4 teams in SEC had scoring defenses giving up less than 20 a game ... and 3 or those were in the East. One was Missouri.

Seems like the moral of this story is ... score more than 20 and we'll just about win.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 09:33 PM
When we recruit better on the OL- we'll be able to score more than 20 on good teams

Joe Schmedlap
02-24-2016, 09:36 PM
When we recruit better on the OL- we'll be able to score more than 20 on good teams

Will State be able to recruit better at offensive line as long as Hev is in the house?

dawgday166
02-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Unless I misunderstood, Rosie also said that there were rumblings right after the bowl game than Dan wanted to overhaul the D and that included everyone (Turner too). That's cool if it's true ... he the head man and ALL the responsibility is on his shoulders. So it seems that Dan has a method to his madness and we're gonna have a "great" D now.

I'm just sorta thinking though that based on the above information I posted, it somewhat seems to me that a cog or two in the offensive scheme of things and/or personnel may need some further scrutiny.

Dallas_Dawg
02-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Will State be able to recruit better at offensive line as long as Hev is in the house?

Vegas would have it at 50:1, NO

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:39 PM

In my opinion? No. We have 7 full years of evidence. Hev's best OL recruits are Day and Clausell to this point.

Commercecomet24
02-24-2016, 10:40 PM

The only thing holding us back from taking the next step.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:42 PM
Unless I misunderstood, Rosie also said that there were rumblings right after the bowl game than Dan wanted to overhaul the D and that included everyone (Turner too). That's cool if it's true ... he the head man and ALL the responsibility is on his shoulders. So it seems that Dan has a method to his madness and we're gonna have a "great" D now.

I'm just sorta thinking though that based on the above information I posted, it somewhat seems to me that a cog or two in the offensive scheme of things and/or personnel may need some further scrutiny.

We gave up 30+ twice and 50 in our last 3 SEC games.

Means people think that losing 4 draft picks from that D is going to make us better next year? I'll believe it when I see it

dawgday166
02-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Yea ... D sucked for most part. I think D line may be ok next year. They better be cause the secondary is gonna be awfully inexperienced. My expectation won't be too high with all the inexperience of coaches and players.

Maybe Turner's D line couldn't really destroy Mullen/Hev's O line this past year in practices. If that's the case then I would've fired Turner too LOL.

MSUDawg99
02-25-2016, 12:54 PM

No I think he said that it didn't necessarily include Turner.

NCDawg
02-25-2016, 01:04 PM

short answer-NO imho.

smootness
02-25-2016, 01:35 PM
We gave up 30+ twice and 50 in our last 3 SEC games.

Means people think that losing 4 draft picks from that D is going to make us better next year? I'll believe it when I see it

Well, Redmond didn't play in those games you mentioned. So we lose Chris Jones, Beniquez Brown (who will be a late pick), and? Who else are you projecting to be drafted?

Coach34
02-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Well, Redmond didn't play in those games you mentioned. So we lose Chris Jones, Beniquez Brown (who will be a late pick), and? Who else are you projecting to be drafted?

Calhoun and Ry Brown are getting drafted also

Joe Schmedlap
02-25-2016, 01:39 PM
short answer-NO imho.

If this is true, then Mullen can honestly say "we have met the enemy, and he is us".

Dawgtini
02-25-2016, 02:01 PM
If this is true, then Mullen can honestly say "we have met the enemy, and he is us".

Pogo being brought up on the board twice in less than a week. Things are definitely looking up!

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Pogo being brought up on the board twice in less than a week. Things are definitely looking up!

http://www.foldedspace.org/images/pogo.gif

War Machine Dawg
02-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Can't underestimate the impact of losing Market, either. He may not have been the most athletically gifted player, but he was the leader of the secondary and had a football IQ off the charts.

Taog Redloh
02-25-2016, 02:39 PM
When you run an up-tempo offense, your defense suffers a little. That's why John Chavis will never shut people down at Texas A&M. You almost have to run a bend-don't-break defense, simply for practicality. It's kind of a trade off.

The reason Alabama and other teams run a pro-style offense is not because they are boring.....it's because it minimizes turnovers and can grind the clock assuming your offense has enough talent. That rests your defense, thus the defense gets better.

Personally, that's why I prefer a true Mullen offense - a run based offense - rather than a pass happy spread. I really like RichRod's offense too, keeps the clock running. We know we have to innovate at MSU, but we also have good defensive talent. I'd rather play defense than play controlled chaos two-hand touch crap like A&M does.

Really Clark?
02-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Can't underestimate the impact of losing Market, either. He may not have been the most athletically gifted player, but he was the leader of the secondary and had a football IQ off the charts.

Very true. One of my favorite players the last few years. Hate hate hate he had the injuries.

dawgday166
02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
On O line this year I'm hoping Jenkins, Calhoun, and Rankin show up in big way. And someone out of this stable of young RBs we have.

engie
02-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Yet you argued the exact opposite from 2012 to 2013 -- when we lost 4 starters on D that are still hanging around the NFL along with 3 other starters. Lost 7 on D -- got ALOT better in 2013 on that side.

It's amazing to me that nothing has really changed in the program -- yet the script has totally reversed -- even while the success level has gone up.

Tbonewannabe
02-25-2016, 02:54 PM
I just hope Aeris Williams has now been in the program long enough to get more touches than Shumpert. I can only hope we move Shump to fullback where he has a chance at the NFL. Both of these happen and somehow our Oline will look better. It would help if Simmons comes in like Clowney and kicks QB ass at DE and AJ Jefferson continues to live in the backfield. We go back to running the spread OPTION instead of Texas Tech flinging it around. Having 2 big QBs to run downhill will definitely benefit us.

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Yet you argued the exact opposite from 2012 to 2013 -- when we lost 4 starters on D that are still hanging around the NFL along with 3 other starters. Lost 7 on D -- got ALOT better in 2013 on that side.

It's amazing to me that nothing has really changed in the program -- yet the script has totally reversed -- even while the success level has gone up.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' - RWE

RougeDawg
02-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Either this is rhetorical or you forgot these **. That's the only answerable question.

Coach34
02-25-2016, 03:11 PM

i know I argued that the offense would be much better with Prescott at QB as opposed to Russell- I don't remember arguing the D would vastly improve. I did say that our DL would improve though- helping our D- because we would no longer play Cherry and others- and add Jones, Eulls to DT, and other improvements. I acknowledge that Wilson sucked- but the problem with that is that Manny doesn't suck.

You have to examine personnel Engie. The SEC is a LOS league. We lack there in 2016 IMO. Couple that with weak CB's- could be a long year

smootness
02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Calhoun and Ry Brown are getting drafted also

We'll see.

We do not lack on the DL for 2016, though. That's kind of crazy.