PDA

View Full Version : CBS on Newman & Draft

Big4Dawg
02-24-2016, 10:48 AM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25492818/malik-newmans-nba-draft-decision-more-difficult-after-tough-season

Malik Newman's NBA Draft decision more difficult after tough season
By Sam Vecenie / Staff Writer
February 23, 2016 04:33 PM ET
As a top-five recruit in the 2015-2016 freshman class, Mississippi State guard Malik Newman was supposed to come in and take college basketball by storm with his ability to score the basketball. Unfortunately, things have not gone as planned and they're getting worse by the day.

During his press conference Monday, Bulldogs' coach Ben Howland said Newman's status going forward is still up in the air due to a back injury suffered during a fall against Vanderbilt.

"It's still a question as to whether or not he'll be able to play in (the Texas A&M) game," Howland said. "The back is locked up good. He got an MRI and he's seeing a doctor today in Columbus and I'll have more information later today."

Given this information, that back injuries tend not to heal overnight, and that the Bulldogs' season is coming to an end relatively soon, this seems like as good a time as any to discuss what exactly happened to Newman's freshman season.

Looking on the surface, it wouldn't necessarily be readily apparent that Newman's season has gone by the wayside. Thus far, he's averaging 12.3 points, three rebounds and 2.2 assists per game. Nothing earth-shattering there, but not necessarily awful. The problem is when you get into his levels of efficiency and overall development. Newman hasn't really made strides as a playmaker this season -- his 13.2 assist rate vs. 13.3 turnover rate isn't exactly spectacular -- and his defense has been about what you'd expect from a freshman adjusting to a tough scheme under Howland.

So given that, let's talk about his bread and butter as a prospect: his scoring ability. That's going to be where Newman makes his money as a pro, as a combo guard who can fill the scoreboard with points. His shooting slash line of 38.8/39.4/69.7 belies a lot of the problems he's had so far -- and actually speaks to some of the concerns NBA scouts had about him coming into his collegiate career.

In high school, Newman was known as a shot-maker who could create and make difficult shots. During his freshman year though, it's been just about the opposite. Thus far, the best part of the 6-foot-4 guard's game has been his ability to make catch-and-shoot jumpers. He's taken 82 jumpers off of the catch, and made them at a clip of 1.36 points-per-shot. That's good enough for the 94th percentile in college basketball, according to Synergy Sports. It speaks to ability he has to shoot, which is something that's never really been questioned in regard to him.

The bigger problem has been his ability to create clean looks, something he was able to do in high school due to strong lateral quickness and terrific ball-handling ability, but hasn't been able to do thus far in college. Newman's numbers attempting to score off the dribble this season have not been great. He's taken 49 jumpers off the bounce, only making them at a .63 points-per-shot clip. That's in the 30th percentile nationally according to Synergy Sports. His problems are shown in his percentages inside the arc, a place Newman excelled in high school. From the mid-range -- an area I'll define as 10-to-19 feet from the basket -- Newman is only making 29 percent of his shots according to ShotAnalytics.com. Near the basket, his numbers are just as bad, making 37.5 percent of his looks in halfcourt sets and only 43 percent of his shots overall according to Synergy.

The problems there are evident statistically and with the eye test, and it's difficult to judge how much scouts should shrug them off versus how many red flags they raise. There are three explanations for Newman's struggles, two of which you can point to as excuses on the positive side for Newman's stock and one of which points more negatively toward him. The first is simply that Newman has been injured a lot this season. Howland alluded to that in his press conference Monday, noting all of the little nicks he's had to go through this season.

"Think about all the different little things he's gone through, from the turf toe to the cramping to now the back," Howland said. "Sure it's frustrating. It's part of it you know how you deal with that adversity is everything."

Those are certainly mitigating factors for Newman physically, and they're particularly problematic for a player who doesn't exactly have elite size, length or elevation to begin with. That's the second explanation for why Newman is struggling, simply that he may have bigger problems to work with on his game.

At 6-4 with a 6-5 wingspan, Newman isn't exactly perfect from a frame point of view. In high school, he was simply just more skilled than everyone and got by with it. Now though, it seems like that lack of length is raising issues once Newman gets into the lane, making it easier to close down on the combo guard and making it more difficult for him to get the necessary separation to score. It's also worth noting that while Newman does have strong lateral quickness, he's never necessarily been the most explosive vertical player. That plus the lack of length points to why his numbers near the rim are as bad as they are, and could point to genuine struggles for him in the future.

However, one way to help Newman get separation against other players is with the ball-screen, and that's not something Mississippi State has done much of this season. So far this season, Mississippi State as a team is 295th nationally in the percent of time they make plays in the pick-and-roll according to Synergy. Nearly 1,300 players around the country have made more plays in the pick-and-roll than Newman has this season with either a shot, pass or turnover.

That speaks to a bit of a problematic fit in the Bulldogs' offense, which is something borne out not only by the numbers but simply in the way that the offense can get bogged down from time to time. Mississippi State assists on fewer of its made field goals than all but one other SEC team, which points to an offense that can often get bogged down with ball-stopping -- something Newman certainly contributes to. Since 2002, Howland has never had a team finish outside of the mid-point nationally in assist percentage, and his team's average percentile finish has been in the 74th percentile nationally. This season, Mississippi State is on pace to finish in the 27th percentile nationally.

Realistically, this just hasn't been a great fit from the start for Newman in terms of play style. This isn't to cast stones at one side or the other, it just is what it is. And the combination of the three factors I raised above is going to make for an awfully difficult evaluation for NBA scouts and executives. Newman will almost assuredly at least declare for the NBA draft this offseason given the new rule that will allow players to return to college 10 days after the combine if they do not like their stock. That means Newman will get a chance to work out in front of NBA people for at least a little while, who will then have to determine if it's worth spending a pick on him.

Right now, I do have Newman as a top-50 prospect and I believe there is a good chance he would be selected in the draft despite his limitations. Plus, there's also an argument that going undrafted could benefit him given the fact that he'd assuredly -- barring injury -- get some sort of contract, likely with a larger guarantee than what would be provided for him in the D-League if a team simply wanted to keep his draft rights active (ex. Andrew Harrison last season). Still though, players under Howland tend to make a rather large leap from their freshman to sophomore seasons, so it could behoove Newman to ride it out despite a tenuous fit and see if he can rebuild his stock.

Both decisions are risky in their own right. If he doesn't rebuild his stock, he'd be in an even worse position next offseason, and he'd be passing up a fair amount of money. Newman has one of the toughest choices to make regarding his draft stock, and I certainly don't envy him in what has been a tough season to this point.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2016, 10:50 AM
He's going to go to the combine work out & then go from there. It only takes 1 team to fall in love & make a promise. I hope he decides to come back, get healthy, & stronger & have a great sophomore year. If not I wish him the best & hopes he kills it.

Jack Lambert
02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
There will be teams who followed him in high school who will remember how good he was and make excuses to why he wasn't as strong in the NCAA.

maroonmania
02-24-2016, 12:06 PM
He's going to go to the combine work out & then go from there. It only takes 1 team to fall in love & make a promise. I hope he decides to come back, get healthy, & stronger & have a great sophomore year. If not I wish him the best & hopes he kills it.

Well selfishly I would like for him to come back but I'm not going to go into depression if he doesn't. Even at this stage of Malik's freshman season I would say he is what, maybe our 3rd or 4th best player even when healthy? And we've got lots of talented guys coming in next year. If he decides he doesn't want to come back I don't think Howland will miss a beat in revitalizing our basketball program.

Thick
02-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Well, getting stronger and improving his skill set with a solid season under his belt would benefit our program, but I believe it would give him a tremendous and much needed confidence boost. In my opinion, I think he's a little shell shocked by the competition level, and going to the next level is the biggest jump in intensity, size, strength, and skill set. He needs to stay!

Dawg61
02-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Well, getting stronger and improving his skill set with a solid season under his belt would benefit our program, but I believe it would give him a tremendous and much needed confidence boost. In my opinion, I think he's a little shell shocked by the competition level, and going to the next level is the biggest jump in intensity, size, strength, and skill set. He needs to stay!

The bread isn't done rising. Best not to rush it and open the oven. Newman isn't ready. Period. His daddy better wise up before he pushes his son into a bad decision they can't fix later. Newman leaving this year is a bad decision.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2016, 01:50 PM
The bread isn't done rising. Best not to rush it and open the oven. Newman isn't ready. Period. His daddy better wise up before he pushes his son into a bad decision they can't fix later. Newman leaving this year is a bad decision.

Horatio isn't pushing.

Dawg61
02-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Horatio isn't pushing.

He needs to be pushing him to stay.

chef dixon
02-24-2016, 02:12 PM
I don't get why we continue to kind of dog him on this board. He's been a pretty good player despite expectations plus he's been banged up. He's not dumb either. He will make the right decision for himself. I'm still super glad he came to state regardless. If he does decide to come back, he and Q will be an incredible duo. I'd love to see him start a season without turf toe, which is a horrendous injury for a basketball player.

Dawg61
02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
I don't get why we continue to kind of dog him on this board. He's been a pretty good player despite expectations plus he's been banged up. He's not dumb either. He will make the right decision for himself. I'm still super glad he came to state regardless. If he does decide to come back, he and Q will be an incredible duo. I'd love to see him start a season without turf toe, which is a horrendous injury for a basketball player.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm not dogging Newman. He's one of the best freshman we've had in the last decade. I'm more frustrated that he's still strongly considering making the leap this year. 99.9% of all freshman aren't ready to go NBA. Newman is in that 99.9%. That isn't a dig at him. It's reality. I want nothing more than for Newman to become a HOF NBA player with $300 mill in the bank. If he leaves this year he won't reach even a fraction of that. That's were my frustrations lie.

HancockCountyDog
02-24-2016, 02:50 PM
I can't speak for everyone but I'm not dogging Newman. He's one of the best freshman we've had in the last decade. I'm more frustrated that he's still strongly considering making the leap this year. 99.9% of all freshman aren't ready to go NBA. Newman is in that 99.9%. That isn't a dig at him. It's reality. I want nothing more than for Newman to become a HOF NBA player with $300 mill in the bank. If he leaves this year he won't reach even a fraction of that. That's were my frustrations lie.

The problem is that if you aren't ready to get drafted by the NBA in the lottery or first round after your freshman year in college, you probably won't get drafted in first round.

Lets put it like this, last year there were just as many freshman drafted as there were Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors drafted combined.

Why do you think Dante Exum decided to go pro after just a handful of games. Didn't want to show teams what he couldn't do in college. The 2014 draft is littered with freshman whose stock would have plummeted if they had stayed in school - Noah Vonleh, James Young, and several others.

If he leaves now, some NBA team may think that he has some next level that he hasn't reached yet. If he sticks around and has another year like this year, he is done as far as the first round and the NBA.

Personally I hope he goes pro and gets drafted in the first round. If he doesn't, it is going to be used against us when we are recruiting 1 and done players. That is the pool we are fishing in now;

maroonmania
02-24-2016, 03:12 PM

I don't believe anyone is dogging him that I know of because he is a good player. The reason it APPEARS at times like folks are dogging him is that he is being held up to the standard of a one and done player. That's a whole different deal but that's all we've been told he would be since before he signed with anybody. And that's a high level to be held to given that one and done players are expected to be fairly dominant in college.

smootness
02-24-2016, 03:20 PM
The problem is that if you aren't ready to get drafted by the NBA in the lottery or first round after your freshman year in college, you probably won't get drafted in first round.

Lets put it like this, last year there were just as many freshman drafted as there were Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors drafted combined.

Why do you think Dante Exum decided to go pro after just a handful of games. Didn't want to show teams what he couldn't do in college. The 2014 draft is littered with freshman whose stock would have plummeted if they had stayed in school - Noah Vonleh, James Young, and several others.

If he leaves now, some NBA team may think that he has some next level that he hasn't reached yet. If he sticks around and has another year like this year, he is done as far as the first round and the NBA.

Personally I hope he goes pro and gets drafted in the first round. If he doesn't, it is going to be used against us when we are recruiting 1 and done players. That is the pool we are fishing in now;

I agree with most of this, except I'm not that concerned with it being used against us if he sticks around. I don't think it'd be that effective for other teams to use it, and even if they do, while we may be in on a 1-and-done type here and there, we're not going to be bringing in many of those guys at all. We're going to more than likely be mostly in on the guys who are in the 30-100 range with a Newman type here and there...pretty much what our 2016 class is.

HSVDawg
02-24-2016, 03:21 PM

First of all, he isn't going 1st round. There is literally no chance of that at this point and the fact that it keeps getting brought up as even a remote possibility is somewhat silly.

Secondly, it is a logical fallacy to think that his future would be better if he can "trick" a team into drafting him (in the 2nd round, if at all).

There are two possibilities of what could happen if he declares after this year:
1) He goes 2nd round or undrafted, but busts his ass and makes a roster for a decent (but not exceptional) paycheck.
2) He goes 2nd round or undrafted, gets cut and ends up in the D-league making peanuts or over in Europe.

Option 1 is obviously the best case scenario for him, but even if that happens he is still looking at a very small contract over 2 or 3 years before he has a chance to renegotiate for serious money. Option 2 will always be available to him regardless of when he declares. However, if he comes back, he has the chance to prove his worth and get a lot more money on the front end if he's a first rounder / lottery pick, and all he's giving up is the possibility that he MIGHT make 600-700k next year. At the end of the day, Malik either is an NBA talent or he isn't, and the jury is still out on which of those is true. If he is good enough, the reward for returning an extra year (multiple millions of dollars more over his first 3 years) far outweighs the risk of him losing out of one year of pay on a rookie contract for 2nd round / UDFA. If he isn't good enough, it doesn't matter what he does because he is going to wind up in the D-league or overseas anyway.

For his own best interest, he should cone back another year and try to show the scouts something that gets him a 1st round selection.

smootness
02-24-2016, 03:22 PM
I don't believe anyone is dogging him that I know of because he is a good player. The reason it APPEARS at times like folks are dogging him is that he is being held up to the standard of a one and done player. That's a whole different deal but that's all we've been told he would be since before he signed with anybody. And that's a high level to be held to given that one and done players are expected to be fairly dominant in college.

But if you look at the other players in this class, he was still rated properly. This has been a pretty disappointing HS class. You have Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, and then everybody else. There have been a few that have been better than Newman (Stone, Jaylen Brown, Rabb, Zimmerman) but not many. He was about where he should have been around the bottom of the top 10 or so.

smootness
02-24-2016, 03:23 PM
First of all, he isn't going 1st round. There is literally no chance of that at this point and the fact that it keeps getting brought up as even a remote possibility is somewhat silly.

Secondly, it is a logical fallacy to think that his future would be better if he can "trick" a team into drafting him (in the 2nd round, if at all).

There are two possibilities of what could happen if he declares after this year:
1) He goes 2nd round or undrafted, but busts his ass and makes a roster for a decent (but not exceptional) paycheck.
2) He goes 2nd round or undrafted, gets cut and ends up in the D-league making peanuts or over in Europe.

Option 1 is obviously the best case scenario for him, but even if that happens he is still looking at a very small contract over 2 or 3 years before he has a chance to renegotiate for serious money. Option 2 will always be available to him regardless of when he declares. However, if he comes back, he has the chance to prove his worth and get a lot more money on the front end if he's a first rounder / lottery pick, and all he's giving up is the possibility that he MIGHT make 600-700k next year. At the end of the day, Malik either is an NBA talent or he isn't, and the jury is still out on which of those is true. If he is good enough, the reward for returning an extra year (multiple millions of dollars more over his first 3 years) far outweighs the risk of him losing out of one year of pay on a rookie contract for 2nd round / UDFA. If he isn't good enough, it doesn't matter what he does because he is going to wind up in the D-league or overseas anyway.

For his own best interest, he should cone back another year and try to show the scouts something that gets him a 1st round selection.

He also gets to that 2nd contract quicker if he comes out, though.

dawgs
02-24-2016, 04:23 PM

I disagree about guys either being 1st round picks after their freshman season or not at all. Guys can improve a lot over time. Some nba franchises like taking talented guys with 3-4 years of college experience under their belt, especially guards. the best guard combo in the nba is made of up 2 3 year college players that were drafted in the lottery - curry and klay Thompson. Blazers have a top 5 backcourt with lilliard and McCollum, both 4 years college guys drafted in the lottery. Hell, best comparison might be Russell Westbrook, who averaged like 3 points per game as a freshman and was the 4th pick after his sophomore season under our very own Ben howland.

So there's no reason Malik can't come back healthy and better prepared for college competition next season, dominate and turn that into a lottery pick and a very good or great nba career.

Johnson85
02-24-2016, 04:55 PM
If he is good enough, the reward for returning an extra year (multiple millions of dollars more over his first 3 years) far outweighs the risk of him losing out of one year of pay on a rookie contract for 2nd round / UDFA. If he isn't good enough, it doesn't matter what he does because he is going to wind up in the D-league or overseas anyway.

I think you have this backward. If you're good enough, the reward for returning is not that big and is probably negative. You'll improve your first contract, but the difference between the first pick and the last pick of the first round is like $10M over three years, which can easily be made up by having an extra year in your prime to get a big contract. Of course most players are not going to move from the 2nd round or undrafted to a top 5 pick by coming back for a year.

The only way people benefit from staying in college is (1) to be the type of player that plays their way into the first round even though they're not actually good enough for the NBA (getting them 3 years of guaranteed money) (2) being a fringe player that needs to improve in college to ensure he gets a good shot at the NBA (which has become less important as Europe has become a viable route to the NBA) or (3) be the type of player that's not going to make it in the pros regardless, so might as well enjoy being a big shot in college.

I'm thinking it's not going to be clear what the right decision was for Malik until you have the benefit of hindsight.

Bully13
02-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Why do we not pick and roll more and can someone explain our points off of assists he's talking about? He seemed to be contradicting himself

dawgs
02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
I think you have this backward. If you're good enough, the reward for returning is not that big and is probably negative. You'll improve your first contract, but the difference between the first pick and the last pick of the first round is like $10M over three years, which can easily be made up by having an extra year in your prime to get a big contract. Of course most players are not going to move from the 2nd round or undrafted to a top 5 pick by coming back for a year.

The only way people benefit from staying in college is (1) to be the type of player that plays their way into the first round even though they're not actually good enough for the NBA (getting them 3 years of guaranteed money) (2) being a fringe player that needs to improve in college to ensure he gets a good shot at the NBA (which has become less important as Europe has become a viable route to the NBA) or (3) be the type of player that's not going to make it in the pros regardless, so might as well enjoy being a big shot in college.

I'm thinking it's not going to be clear what the right decision was for Malik until you have the benefit of hindsight.

Where do you think Russell Westbrook would've been drafted in 2007 after averaging 9 min, 3.4 pts, .8 rebounds, .7 assists, and .4 steals per game?

I don't remember anyone thinking lillard, McCollum, curry, or klay Thompson were taking big risks staying in school for 3-4 years either.

Sometimes guys need to be ready when they get in the league if they want to maximize their talent and opportunity when they get there. If they aren't ready, they end up buried in the bench or in the D-league or in Russia or something, and never actually maximize that talent.

dawgs
02-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Why do we not pick and roll more and can someone explain our points off of assists he's talking about? He seemed to be contradicting himself

We don't make assists leading to baskets very often.

Political Hack
02-24-2016, 05:41 PM

That's about all fans can do. Whatever he decides I hope it ends up being the best for his long term future. Would love to see him back, but ultimately he's got to make the best decision for himself. I think that's coming back, but it could turn out leaving now is smarter than waiting another 12 months.

dawgs
02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
I don't think an extra year or 2 in college hurts guards as much as it does big men. Often big men are drafted purely on size and being athletic, but the longer they linger in college, the more apparent it becomes they can't actually play basketball very well and wouldn't be on the court if they weren't 6'10" or taller. Guards on the other hand usually aren't physical freaks, they are of more normal build and height (relatively speaking, 6'4" towers over most of us I'm sure), so it's more important they have a more mastered grasp of the game when they come out. They can't afford to be complete crap and keep earning a check while they figure it out, because if they do, most teams will move on to the next 6'4" combo guard that handles it pretty well and can shoot to see if he's the right guy. But the 7'0" guy will get a lot more chances to see if he can put it together because you can't teach size.