PDA

View Full Version : My Lineup for this weekend would be...

preachermatt83
02-24-2016, 12:31 AM
1- Robson- cf
2-Gridley- 2b
3-Krugar- DH
4-Rooker-RF
5-Hump-LF
6-Collins-3b
7-Lowe-1b
8-Alexander-SS
9-Mererro-C

1st 3 off the bench
Brown
Gordon
Stovall

Starters
Game 1-Hudson
Game 2- Sexton
Game 3- Houston
Game 4- Brown

Closer
Hump/Young

First 3 out of the pen
TATUM
Padgett
Hughes

CadaverDawg
02-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Not bad.

At least we'd be bunting Gridley instead of Krugar when Robson gets on.

msstate7
02-24-2016, 01:05 AM
1- Robson- cf
2-Gridley- 2b
3-Krugar- DH
4-Rooker-RF
5-Hump-LF
6-Collins-3b
7-Lowe-1b
8-Alexander-SS
9-Mererro-C

1st 3 off the bench
Brown
Gordon
Stovall

Starters
Game 1-Hudson
Game 2- Sexton
Game 3- Houston
Game 4- Brown

Closer
Hump/Young

First 3 out of the pen
TATUM
Padgett
Hughes

In your lineup, 2-6 are all right handed. Need to break them up with lowe

War Machine Dawg
02-24-2016, 01:17 AM
I'd go with this:
1. Robson - CF
2. Gridley - 2B
3. Kruger - C
4. Rooker - LF
5. Lowe - 1B
6. Hump - 3B
7. Collins - DH
8. Alexander - SS
9. Brown - RF

Fri - Hudson
Sat - Tatum
Sat - Sexton
Sun - TBD/Staff - Maybe Breaux or Padgett

Pen: Houston, Padgett, Breaux, Young (assuming his elbow isn't effed up), Rigby, Brown

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 01:57 AM
I'd go with this:
1. Robson - CF
2. Gridley - 2B
3. Kruger - C
4. Rooker - LF
5. Lowe - 1B
6. Hump - 3B
7. Collins - DH
8. Alexander - SS
9. Brown - RF

Fri - Hudson
Sat - Tatum
Sat - Sexton
Sun - TBD/Staff - Maybe Breaux or Padgett

Pen: Houston, Padgett, Breaux, Young (assuming his elbow isn't effed up), Rigby, Brown

I was about to ask the board what they thought about Hump at third base. No question he looked better there than Collins. Kruger will catch whenever his arm is ready, and when that happens, I think we'll see your lineup at least in the field. That certainly looks like our best offense/defense combo right now. I could see Michael Smith platooning with Cody Brown though. As far as the batting order I'd keep Kruger at second at least for now because he is hitting so well in the two hole.

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2016, 08:54 AM
I liked Sunday's Lineup

Robson CF
Kruger DH
Lowe 1B
Rooker RF
Collins 3B
Hump LF
Gridley 2B
Alexander SS
Marrero C

I think we need to keep getting Marrero ABs, even though he's struggling a bit. I don't know what the timetable is on Kruger's arm, but I don't want to see Collins catching at all. I'd rather have Lovelady in the lineup, but he can't be much better than Marrero, offensively.

We need get Cody Brown more involved somehow. I'm not sure how, but these things tend to work themselves out with injuries and slumps. I just don't see a .300 hitter riding the bench all year.

As for pitching, I want to see Tatum starting. I don't know about the pen. Nobody really stood out to me and dominated. We will see this weekend who was able to shake off the nerves and is ready to work.

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2016, 09:06 AM
I was about to ask the board what they thought about Hump at third base. No question he looked better there than Collins. Kruger will catch whenever his arm is ready, and when that happens, I think we'll see your lineup at least in the field. That certainly looks like our best offense/defense combo right now. I could see Michael Smith platooning with Cody Brown though. As far as the batting order I'd keep Kruger at second at least for now because he is hitting so well in the two hole.

I'd like to see Hump at 3rd. Collins hasn't impressed so far, but he didn't have a whole lot of chances.

If Collins doesn't have a big offensive year, then he would be no different than Reynolds - a guy who is an average hitter, but can't excel at a defensive position.

Backwoodsdawg
02-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Hump is very hot with the bat right now, but our future defensively at 3rd is definitely not the Hump. He played ok there Friday night because he had about 1 ball hit to him. A third baseman can't turn his head on a hot ground ball, and yes I have seen enough practices and scrimmages to know this will eventually be a problem. Hump will have to stay on the field right now cause the ball looks like a beach ball to him though that is for sure!

I hope our hot bats stay hot when we see something besides a high school pitcher as well. That kinda worries me because we didn't hit our own pitching that well outside of a few players, and they just so happened to be in the top 4 or 5 spots average wise after this weekend regardless of the amount of ab's they had. That tells me we have a few pure hitters but we will need more to stay hot when the pitching gets up over 90mph in which it did not for one single pitch this past weekend. The highest velo I saw was 89 and that was from a couple of the "closer" types that came in late a couple of games.

There was plenty to be happy about from the weekend but a ton that needs to be improved on or we WILL follow the same path as last year!

shoeless joe
02-24-2016, 10:16 AM
I'll be attending my first game Saturday so my opinions are based on observations from last yr and watching a few innings on my phone.

Tatum has some of the best "stuff" on the team. I'd like to see him start but if we can find a way to seed him twice a weekend that would work.

I've been impressed with the at bats that hump and Lowe have put together.

Cody brown needs to be in the line up. He's the gritty tough nosed type player we need.

msstate7
02-24-2016, 10:20 AM
I'll be attending my first game Saturday so my opinions are based on observations from last yr and watching a few innings on my phone.

Tatum has some of the best "stuff" on the team. I'd like to see him start but if we can find a way to seed him twice a weekend that would work.

I've been impressed with the at bats that hump and Lowe have put together.

Cody brown needs to be in the line up. He's the gritty tough nosed type player we need.

I'd like to see Cody too, but who you sitting to play him? Kruger can't be sit right now. Not sure you wanna sit hump or rooker, so I have a hard time seeing where to play Cody

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm getting Brown a couple of starts to get AB's. He hit .300 last year. We need his bat and grittiness. Other than Robson and Lon Kruger- nobody starts every game on the weekend. We have 12-13 guys needing AB's right now.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Not sure you wanna sit hump or rooker, so I have a hard time seeing where to play Cody

why? You are talking about playing a guy that hit better than them last year

msstate7
02-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Rooker has 4 doubles thru 4 games... Hump has 5

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Rooker has 4 doubles thru 4 games... Hump has 5

lets slow down on that. SD's pitching was atrocious. They gave up double digits in 3 of 4 games.

Against real pitching- they didn't fare nearly as well

Ifyouonlyknew
02-24-2016, 10:48 AM
lets slow down on that. SD's pitching was atrocious. They gave up double digits in 3 of 4 games.

Against real pitching- they didn't fare nearly as well

It was split pretty even. Hump hit 2 doubles against FAU & 3 against SDSU. Rooker hit 2 doubles against both FAU & SDSU.

Backwoodsdawg
02-24-2016, 11:08 AM
It was split pretty even. Hump hit 2 doubles against FAU & 3 against SDSU. Rooker hit 2 doubles against both FAU & SDSU.

Coach34 is right. I don't care if it was FAU or SDSU none of the pitchers were very good. The FAU pitchers didn't have great stuff or any velo either. I honestly have seen better high school pitching. The difference in those games were they handled our pitching just fine. They also had the desire and talent to come up with key 2 out hits and we didn't, well, outside of a couple of new guys that did in crucial moments late in a games! That is why we stranded so many runners.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 11:16 AM

They both feasted on SD pitching. It's ok if they sit a game to get Brown some AB's in a couple games. It's ok to sit Collins to get Alexander a start...Get Mangum some AB's...nobody has proven anything yet

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2016, 11:55 AM
FAU's pitcher that shut us down was sitting around 85 on his fastball. We couldn't do anything with him, and they were stroking our 93-94. If we can't hit our own pitching, but other teams can, then we have a long way to go.

maroonmania
02-24-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm getting Brown a couple of starts to get AB's. He hit .300 last year. We need his bat and grittiness. Other than Robson and Lon Kruger- nobody starts every game on the weekend. We have 12-13 guys needing AB's right now.

Brown is one of the few guys we have that plays with an edge. I think his attitude rubs off on guys so for that reason, if nothing else, he needs to get a shot at a starting position. I really can't believe he didn't start any of the games last weekend. Heck, I would sit Gavin Collins before Cody Brown.

Backwoodsdawg
02-24-2016, 12:21 PM
FAU's pitcher that shut us down was sitting around 85 on his fastball. We couldn't do anything with him, and they were stroking our 93-94. If we can't hit our own pitching, but other teams can, then we have a long way to go.

Most definitely agree here!

Backwoodsdawg
02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Brown is one of the few guys we have that plays with an edge. I think his attitude rubs off on guys so for that reason, if nothing else, he needs to get a shot at a starting position. I really can't believe he didn't start any of the games last weekend. Heck, I would sit Gavin Collins before Cody Brown.

You are 100% correct. One kid that hasn't been mentioned much too is Stovall. He plays the game harder than anyone I've seen there in a while, kinda like Frazier and Pirtle. He played some this weekend and had 4 at bats, the 2 hits he had came with 2 outs and he had rbi singles both times. Mentalities like this is what will get it done when the game is on the line. There are others like that as well on the team, Hopefully we will see some of the guys you all speak of get a chance to compete in a meaningful situation soon.

missouridawg
02-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Can Kruger play defense? What position?

msstate7
02-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Can Kruger play defense? What position?

Catcher I think

sandjunky
02-24-2016, 01:14 PM
You are 100% correct. One kid that hasn't been mentioned much too is Stovall. He plays the game harder than anyone I've seen there in a while, kinda like Frazier and Pirtle. He played some this weekend and had 4 at bats, the 2 hits he had came with 2 outs and he had rbi singles both times. Mentalities like this is what will get it done when the game is on the line. There are others like that as well on the team, Hopefully we will see some of the guys you all speak of get a chance to compete in a meaningful situation soon.

Stovall should be in the lineup - one that's been doubted his whole life and plays with a chip on his shoulder; doesn't hurt that he's talented too

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2016, 01:25 PM

I want to go out on a limb here and say that Robson isn't completely safe, and he could be one to give some ABs to Brown. It's fair to expect Robson to bat over .300, play good defense, and steal 25 bases, but he's a punching singles hitter. I would much rather have Brown batting with men on base than Robson. Both being lefties, though, means this probably won't happen.

msstate7
02-24-2016, 01:27 PM
I want to go out on a limb here and say that Robson isn't completely safe, and he could be one to give some ABs to Brown. It's fair to expect Robson to bat over .300, play good defense, and steal 25 bases, but he's a punching singles hitter. I would much rather have Brown batting with men on base than Robson. Both being lefties, though, means this probably won't happen.

Robson can turn a single into a double quick though. Robson also gets Kruger fastballs when Jacob is on base

preachermatt83
02-24-2016, 01:38 PM
For those wanting Stovall and Brown to start, who do you want to bench to play them? I agree they need to be used but no way RIGHT NOW, I'm benching Rooker, Hump, Gridley, or Kruger.

Backwoodsdawg
02-24-2016, 02:00 PM
For those wanting Stovall and Brown to start, who do you want to bench to play them? I agree they need to be used but no way RIGHT NOW, I'm benching Rooker, Hump, Gridley, or Kruger.

Your right those 4 are hot. I guess all you can do is get them in early for some games this weekend surely we will beat Umass Lowell and Nicholls State...but who knows they may have another 85 mph shut down pitcher!

preachermatt83
02-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Your right those 4 are hot. I guess all you can do is get them in early for some games this weekend surely we will beat Umass Lowell and Nicholls State...but who knows they may have another 85 mph shut down pitcher!

I just hope they stay hot.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 03:36 PM
You sit Hump and Rooker a game each to get Brown a start. You're playing a guy instead that batted .300 last year and was your leading hitter. You're not playing a scrub. Plus, the competition level isnt top notch. Get key guys AB's. Brown is a veteran LH'ed bat. He needs playing time.

This isnt hard

DogDaddy
02-24-2016, 04:26 PM

2015 SEC Stats

Brown - 24-90 (.267)
Humphreys - 22-84 (.262)
Collins - 26-105 (.248)
Rooker - 11-37 (.297)

I was curious about the comparison between the 4 so I looked. Since the consensus seems to be the pitching from this past weekend was "discounted", these are only SEC stats.

Steakonastick
02-24-2016, 04:30 PM
No way you sit Hump or Rooker why they are both swinging a good bat. Cody Brown hit .262 in the sec last year and had 9 rbi's. He is a good hard nosed kid but there is a reason why he won't play baseball again after this year.

Maybe when Kruger gets healthy a spot opens but I would rather move Collins to DH and let Stovall play 3rd.

RiverCityDawg
02-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Interesting that folks complain about Cohen tinkering with the lineup but then when he starts to get somewhat consistent with a lineup they start complaining that he isn't changing the lineup enough.

I like what he's done with the lineup so far. Let guys establish their roles - starters start and backups sub in when we're up big or when their number is called to pinch hit/run or play defense.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Rooker and Hump played in OOC games too- just like Brown. Brown led off for us- which provides fewer RBI's ops

And when I checked the schedule- we aren't playing an SEC team this weekend

Political Hack
02-24-2016, 05:33 PM
If its that close you play your veteran leaders who will play their guts out and push the new guys. The new guys should be made to be "clearly, head and shoulders better" before you put them on the field at the expense of a proven commodity. They all need to play right now, but benching one of your hardest playing guys when he's performing just as well as the new guys isn't going to help team chemistry, develop leadership, or instil any amount of work ethic into your other players.

Steakonastick
02-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Team chemistry also will suffer when you play veterans over talent. Let's complain when Mullen plays the veterans over younger guys. But Cohen needs to play the veterans over the talent. There is a reason why Rooker, Humpreys, and Robson played in the cape.

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Team chemistry also will suffer when you play veterans over talent. Let's complain when Mullen plays the veterans over younger guys. But Cohen needs to play the veterans over the talent. There is a reason why Rooker, Humpreys, and Robson played in the cape.

THIS. It would be one thing of Rooker, Humphreys, and Robson weren't hitting- but that's not the case. I like playing guys as long as they are playing well. Doesn't matter if it's a true freshman or a redshirt senior. Also, the three guys that have seen the most action are upper classmen. I know Mangum has played a lot- but he also hit better than most everyone in the scrimmages and basically earned it. That hasn't translated to the field as of yet- but I don't mind Cohen giving him the nod on opening day.

The "problem" with Cody Brown right now is our outfield is crowded. But his fan club is going to be a lot happier once Kruger gets healthy and can catch. That will move Marrero to the bench and open up the DH spot for someone like Rooker, Humphreys, or Collins- which would mean Humphreys to third base- and essentially will open up a spot for Cody Brown. Cody is not only competing for a spot with three guys that made the Cape- but it's also three guys that D1Baseball rated among the top 100 OF's in the country. And none of them are underclassmen really- they have all been at MSU for three years so there shouldn't be any upperclass/underclass unhappiness.

I do know this about Cody- he will find his way into the lineup at some point and he will play well when he does. That's what he has done the whole time he has been at MSU.

Taog Redloh
02-24-2016, 06:56 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA someone just got OWNED

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Interesting that folks complain about Cohen tinkering with the lineup but then when he starts to get somewhat consistent with a lineup they start complaining that he isn't changing the lineup enough.

I like what he's done with the lineup so far. Let guys establish their roles - starters start and backups sub in when we're up big or when their number is called to pinch hit/run or play defense.

It goes to show you can't please everyone.

Political Hack
02-24-2016, 07:06 PM

It's not veterans over talent. It's 270-300 for the year with some anticipation of being more experienced and a little better than that against what amounts to an unproven commodity. Sitting the vets hasn't worked out great thus far.

As for Mullen, I don't care who he plays and rarely engage in that discussion. I'm sure he has good reasons to play smarts over talent in football. It's his system. He knows what he needs to prioritize. It may be the same with Cohen this year. Time will tell, but right now we're off to a truly shitastic start.

Steakonastick
02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
So let's play him over 2 guys that hit:

.462 4 doubles and 6 rbis
.429 5 doubles and 4 rbis

Heck why did we start Kruger. We should had Holland at DH he did hit .274 in the sec last year. I'm sure he would hit .285 this year.

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 07:17 PM
It's not veterans over talent. It's 270-300 for the year with some anticipation of being more experienced and a little better than that against what amounts to an unproven commodity. Sitting the vets hasn't worked out great thus far.

As for Mullen, I don't care who he plays and rarely engage in that discussion. I'm sure he has good reasons to play smarts over talent in football. It's his system. He knows what he needs to prioritize. It may be the same with Cohen this year. Time will tell, but right now we're off to a truly shitastic start.

The starting pitching is off to a shitastic start. We're first or second in the SEC in most offensive categories. We should be 3-1 right now if we didn't decide to bring in a bunch of freshmen in a row in game one when we should have used Blake Smith, Rigby, Houston, Tatum, or even Humphreys all probably would have gotten the job done. And yes, we got shut out the second game and that was on the hitting for sure- but we're not off to a shitastic start because of our outfielders not hitting. In fact when Cody did get to play he was the only one that didn't get to hit.

And I'll be honest- if we weren't playing Humphreys, Rooker, or Robson- I'd certainly be questioning it right now. This is not a Zack Jackson situation.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 07:47 PM

Lol- some veterans have talent too- kinda like the guy that led us in hitting last year

Coach34
02-24-2016, 07:52 PM
So let's play him over 2 guys that hit:

.462 4 doubles and 6 rbis
.429 5 doubles and 4 rbis

yes

Hump went 3/9 vs Fla Atl- .333 and Rooker was 3/8...the averages are overblown right now and you know it. Nobody is saying sit them on the bench for 10 games. But if makes PERFECT sense to sit Rooker 1 game and then Hump 1 game. That way Hump and Rooker make 3 starts- Brown makes 2- and your guys get quality AB's

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Hudson to start Friday. Sexton/Brown on Sat. Sunday up in the air but Tatum may get the nod or go platoon route.

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Hudson to start Friday. Sexton/Brown on Sat. Sunday up in the air but Tatum may get the nod or go platoon route.

Actually Cohen said that it will be either Tatum or Houston whichever one they don't use in relief on Sunday. I'm wondering if we may see that happen midweek once the PAC 12/SEC schedule starts and we go to three games on the weekend and we see Tatum or Houston pitch midweek and one pitch the weekend in relief.

Also of note Cohen said that Paul Young should be good to go. That's a huge break for us. He looks really good and we're going to need him out of the bullpen.

And he said that if he had to do it over again he wouldn't have pitched the freshmen Friday night.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Actually Cohen said that it will be either Tatum or Houston whichever one they don't use in relief on Sunday. I'm wondering if we may see that happen midweek once the PAC 12/SEC schedule starts and we go to three games on the weekend and we see Tatum or Houston pitch midweek and one pitch the weekend in relief.

Also of note Cohen said that Paul Young should be good to go. That's a huge break for us. He looks really good and we're going to need him out of the bullpen.

And he said that if he had to do it over again he wouldn't have pitched the freshmen Friday night.

Good deal. I didn't get to hear the interview but that was twitted. Definitely good new about Young. He looked really good. He has been snake bit with injuries.

War Machine Dawg
02-25-2016, 01:50 AM

Robson can turn a single into a double quick though. Robson also gets Kruger fastballs when Jacob is on base

Robson is the prototypical leadoff guy and the catalyst of our offense. He makes everything go at the top. Benching him would be insane. We look to have plenty of pop behind him with Hump, Rooker, Kruger, Lowe, etc. Unless he starts hitting .220 and forgets how to play D, he should be safe. He's Canadian Rafael Furcal for us.

CarolinaDawgs
02-25-2016, 09:12 AM
What do you want from Tatum for him to get the start every Sat or Sun? Kinda confused... Also gives us a Lefty Arm in the rotation...
Talk about hitters being unbalanced..
Hudson-90-93
Tatum-88-91 lefty
Sexton 85-88 righty with ferocious change up

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Reading through the first two pages of this thread, I see a lot of people complaining that Cohen won't mix up the lineup. But all of last season we complained that Cohen mixed up the lineup too much and wouldn't let hitters get into a groove/would take them out of the lineup after a good game. We have guys that are actually hitting really well at the moment and Cohen is not taking them out of the lineup, just like everyone wanted last year. But now we want him to take out our hot hitters and give other people ABs.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Should have kept reading, plenty have beat me to the irony. But, to provide context:

We hit 20 2Bs in four games this weekend, 13 against SDSU and 7 against FAU.

Going through box scores from last season, it took us 12 games to hit 20 2Bs. In those 12 games we played:
Cincy x3 (15-41)
Miami (OH) (13-39)
Marshall x2 (20-32)
Alabama A&M x2
Alcorn
Arizona x2
Samford

So people trying to discount how we hit against SDSU (C34), we couldn't hit as many doubles in 12 games last year that we hit in 4 this year while playing at least 7 games against teams that were as bad or worse than this SDSU team(who actually finished 33-23 last season).

Coach34
02-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Reading through the first two pages of this thread, I see a lot of people complaining that Cohen won't mix up the lineup. But all of last season we complained that Cohen mixed up the lineup too much and wouldn't let hitters get into a groove/would take them out of the lineup after a good game. We have guys that are actually hitting really well at the moment and Cohen is not taking them out of the lineup, just like everyone wanted last year. But now we want him to take out our hot hitters and give other people ABs.

My problem with Cohen is not starting some other guys early that DESERVE to start- it's his constant changing of starting someone- giving them only 2 AB's- then jerking them out. Not everybody deserves to start- but our leading hitter from last year does deserve a few.

Political Hack
02-25-2016, 10:51 AM
My problem with Cohen is not starting some other guys early that DESERVE to start- it's his constant changing of starting someone- giving them only 2 AB's- then jerking them out. Not everybody deserves to start- but our leading hitter from last year does deserve a few.

Seems reasonable to me.

I seen it dawg
02-25-2016, 12:09 PM
If Cody brown is part of the teams plans he absolutely needs to get some game ABs. And sitting rooker and hump for a game allows that to happen. We are gonna need Cody at some point and when that happens he can't be coming off the bench after sitting for 6,8 or 12 games because he hasn't gotten meaningful abs because rooker and hump are "hot" it's ****ing stupid not to get him some ABs. Period. If you are arguing against it just stop because it's stupid.

preachermatt83
02-25-2016, 12:11 PM

NAILED IT!!!

HoopsDawg
02-25-2016, 12:12 PM
If Cody brown is part of the teams plans he absolutely needs to get some game ABs. And sitting rooker and hump for a game allows that to happen. We are gonna need Cody at some point and when that happens he can't be coming off the bench after sitting for 6,8 or 12 games because he hasn't gotten meaningful abs because rooker and hump are "hot" it's ****ing stupid not to get him some ABs. Period. If you are arguing against it just stop because it's stupid.

I wouldn't bench Rooker or Hump all season. I'm glad Cohen hasn't shuffled his lineup as much.

Coach34
02-25-2016, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't bench Rooker or Hump all season. I'm glad Cohen hasn't shuffled his lineup as much.

based on what? Hump hit .230 last year and is likely going to come in around .275 this year

CarolinaDawgs
02-25-2016, 03:39 PM
based on what? Hump hit .230 last year and is likely going to come in around .275 this year

Got a crystal ball?

Coach34
02-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Got a crystal ball?

i did for Hump last year- he hit damn near exactly what I predicted

Steakonastick
02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
ill gladly take Humpreys hitting .275 with 8 or so home runs and 40 RBI's from the six hole. Cohen is playing his talent right now and until they struggle Brown is out of luck. It's nothing against him but there is a reason why went to the cape. And why they are ranked the top 100 players at their position by D1. Brown got 4 at bats last weekend so it's not like he did not get to step on the field.

We complained about the revolving lineups last year. Now Cohen sticks to a main core and we complain.
We complained about Punch and Judy corner outfielders. And now we play guys that are 6'2 210.
And we want our slap hitters back.

maroonmania
02-26-2016, 02:23 PM

Look, I'm not here to bang the drum for Cody Brown, if you want to get Collins and Hump both in the lineup there may not be a spot for Brown while Kruger is taking up the DH spot. But can somebody tell my why in the blue blazes JAKE MANGUM got the start in LF over Cody Brown last Friday night. That was just stupid and I'm sure it was strictly because of the lefty/righty matchup but if that was the case you would have thought it would have made more sense to put Michael Smith in left. We got nothing out of Mangum at the plate in that game.

Political Hack
02-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Cohen always does this. Not sure why we're all debating it to be honest. Pretty standard for everyone to look at his OOC lineups and go WTF!?!?!?! As long as he wins come post season I'll be happy. He can play BoZo the Clown for all I care.

baseballfan
02-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Small, Breaux, Padgett need to pitch. They need the innings to hone their stuff.

baseballfan
02-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Small is one of the best lefties that can start. Tatum is better in mid relief

Todd4State
02-27-2016, 11:53 PM
ill gladly take Humpreys hitting .275 with 8 or so home runs and 40 RBI's from the six hole. Cohen is playing his talent right now and until they struggle Brown is out of luck. It's nothing against him but there is a reason why went to the cape. And why they are ranked the top 100 players at their position by D1. Brown got 4 at bats last weekend so it's not like he did not get to step on the field.

We complained about the revolving lineups last year. Now Cohen sticks to a main core and we complain.
We complained about Punch and Judy corner outfielders. And now we play guys that are 6'2 210.
And we want our slap hitters back.

Exactly. I'm glad we have too many good players though.

Todd4State
02-27-2016, 11:56 PM
Look, I'm not here to bang the drum for Cody Brown, if you want to get Collins and Hump both in the lineup there may not be a spot for Brown while Kruger is taking up the DH spot. But can somebody tell my why in the blue blazes JAKE MANGUM got the start in LF over Cody Brown last Friday night. That was just stupid and I'm sure it was strictly because of the lefty/righty matchup but if that was the case you would have thought it would have made more sense to put Michael Smith in left. We got nothing out of Mangum at the plate in that game.

Mangum was one of our best hitters in the scrimmages. It hasn't translated to the field yet though.

Todd4State
02-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Small is one of the best lefties that can start. Tatum is better in mid relief

All those guys you mentioned - they will get innings against Alcorn.

FAU hammered them.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 12:37 AM
There is a reason brown didn't play in the cape.....

Coach34
02-28-2016, 10:58 AM

ISWYDT

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 04:40 PM

Same reason why MLB scouts agree with me about him, same reason why he is STILL hitting worse than Rooker, Robson, and Humphreys, and same reason why his ass is sitting today.

But I'm glad his Dad is paying for the board. Apparently.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Same reason why MLB scouts agree with me about him, same reason why he is STILL hitting worse than Rooker, Robson, and Humphreys, and same reason why his ass is sitting today.

But I'm glad his Dad is paying for the board. Apparently.

Well that escalated quickly...I'm gonna disagree with you civilly. Humphries is a softball hitter. He is as good as he will ever be and the book is easy and generic on him. Yes he can hit the ball out of the park but it's not worth having him in the lineup. He needs to pitch.

And I don't give a flying **** what MLB scouts say about Brown. What they say doesn't mean shit for what he does for our team. He's a gritty gamer who is a leader and is the kind of dirtbag guy that needs to be in the lineup. No he isn't going to hit bombs and is gonna have to grind for everything he gets but he is a winner and a glue guy that needs to play.

You and the major league scouts can be right about who you named and that's ok. Of course you and them are wrong about humphreys as a hitter. But Brown needs to play at least 80% of the games from the starting lineup for our team to be as good as it can be and I don't see why it's so hard unless stats is all you look at.

You went straight blackout here.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Well that escalated quickly...I'm gonna disagree with you civilly. Humphries is a softball hitter. He is as good as he will ever be and the book is easy and generic on him. Yes he can hit the ball out of the park but it's not worth having him in the lineup. He needs to pitch.

And I don't give a flying **** what MLB scouts say about Brown. What they say doesn't mean shit for what he does for our team. He's a gritty gamer who is a leader and is the kind of dirtbag guy that needs to be in the lineup. No he isn't going to hit bombs and is gonna have to grind for everything he gets but he is a winner and a glue guy that needs to play.

You and the major league scouts can be right about who you named and that's ok. Of course you and them are wrong about humphreys as a hitter. But Brown needs to play at least 80% of the games from the starting lineup for our team to be as good as it can be and I don't see why it's so hard unless stats is all you look at.

Just so we're clear, you think that you're a better judge of baseball talent than people who do that for a living and are hired by professional baseball teams specifically for that purpose?

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Just so we're clear, you think that you're a better judge of baseball talent than people who do that for a living and are hired by professional baseball teams specifically for that purpose?

The ones that think hump is going to be successful as a pro hitter....yes I am a better judge.

Again I don't care what the scouts say about our players. What they say isn't what's necessarily best for our program. We don't make lineups based on what a pro scout thinks. College baseball is made up of a lot of great kids that are glue guys that you have to have to be a successful program. And never play an inning of pro ball.

We had a kid named Maniscalco a while back that if I remember right was pretty damn good for our program. Don't recall him being a successful pro....

Coach34
02-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Why didn't Hunter Renfrow play in the Cape?

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-28-2016, 06:23 PM
The ones that think hump is going to be successful as a pro hitter....yes I am a better judge.

Again I don't care what the scouts say about our players. What they say isn't what's necessarily best for our program. We don't make lineups based on what a pro scout thinks. College baseball is made up of a lot of great kids that are glue guys that you have to have to be a successful program. And never play an inning of pro ball.

We had a kid named Maniscalco a while back that if I remember right was pretty damn good for our program. Don't recall him being a successful pro....
Then there's no arguing with you on that, since you're better than the professionals.

Has Hump done anything to suggest he's not a great kid or isn't a "glue guy"?

Maniscalco played because he was the best player on the team at his position. Cody Brown has not proven that he is the best LF on our team.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
This isn't strictly about Brown vs Hump. Has hump hit .275 yet? Look I get it that Hump absolutely looks the part and part of it is everybody knows he has talent and are thinking the light has got to click on. He hasn't done anything to mitigate his weaknesses at the plate since he got here. Probably a great athlete, plays hard, a good kid etc...but I'm turning him into a closer and a hitter off the bench late against a left handed pitcher because he may be able to run into one. I've watched him hit a lot and his book is easy. Get ahead and then pound the hell out of him with breaking balls. And it works.

Shit keep playing him and I hope he hits .275. If he does he will have made some great improvements and it will make our lineup much better. He no doubt will have a major impact if he hits .275. He's got work to do.

dawgday166
02-28-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't think there are too many that make the bigs as a hitter batting .275 in college.

mic
02-28-2016, 06:39 PM
The unwarranted love for Hump on this board is as great or great than the unwarranted hate for IJ..

Coach34
02-28-2016, 08:25 PM
The unwarranted love for Hump on this board is as great or great than the unwarranted hate for IJ..

He's the most popular .230 hitter in State history

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 08:38 PM

Well, you took a shot at me so I stood up for myself. Which was weird to me.

I don't disagree with any of your assessments on any of that. I think Humphreys gets drafted as a pitcher too.

But what I think you are missing with all due respect is that we are a better lineup with BOTH rather than sitting one or the other. And that can and probably will happen once Kruger can move back to catcher. You take Hump out- we have less power. You take Cody out we aren't as scrappy. Plus, we have to play a freshman at catcher which is also less than ideal.

Homedawg
02-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Here's my deal w hump. He has "potential" to hit for power. Key word potential. He's never done it. He hasn't hit for avg. and he's is beyond a liability in the of. If he hit 250 and hit 12-15 hrs I'd be willing to go w him as a bad defender. However, out of all the things I just listed, the only certainty is he is a bad defender. 12-15hr? Not likely. Hit 250, hasn't done it yet. And if he does hit below 300 it won't be worth it if he is a not power threat. That's all. I hope he proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier. But I'm not counting on it.

baseballfan
02-28-2016, 09:02 PM
All those guys you mentioned - they will get innings against Alcorn.

FAU hammered them.
FAU hit the starting pitchers. That doesn't mean they quit pitching. Breaux did walk some. Gotta get better. Small gave up 1 hit. He's not a closer. Breaux is good at middle relief. Small is better as a starter or mid relief not a closer. Small needs innings.

Hump needs to focus on one thing - hitting. He's not a pitcher.

Coach34
02-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Hump needs to play some...Brown is a must play. The rift is some people thinking Hump is an absolute "must-play every day". Hell, I dont know that Brown is a "must-play" vs top flight LHP's. We have alot of guys that needs AB's right now. It needs to be done giving them starts and 3-4 AB's in a game. Thats what the early schedule is for. I cant stand the giving someone 2 AB's and then pulling them crap Cohen does year after year.

Cody had a good weekend
Hump rebounded some today
Rooker struggled some
Mangum needs to be told he will be a spot player to get experience as a Freshman
Smith is a defensive replacement
Collins doesnt have a defensive position

We got some things to straighten out

Coach34
02-28-2016, 09:20 PM
So by my count- we have 3 people in this thread that have been actually paid to teach the game of baseball as well as play after HS. And all 3 remind people that Hump has yet to hit .250 or double digit HR's. None of the three believe he can be a consistent college hitter. His hype is because he was highly-rated in HS. He is basically the football equivalent of Damien Robinson.

baseballfan
02-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Stovall needs to play. Hudson has a lot of pressure on him. He's pitching well. He's getting comfortable being the Friday guy. Houston and Young are closers. Small will be Sunday starter if given a chance. Tatum is best at mid relief on Friday

Coach34
02-28-2016, 09:48 PM
I think the talent on the mound will work itself out. Gotta log some innings.

We've got to get better in the batter's box

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Well, you took a shot at me so I stood up for myself. Which was weird to me.

I don't disagree with any of your assessments on any of that. I think Humphreys gets drafted as a pitcher too.

But what I think you are missing with all due respect is that we are a better lineup with BOTH rather than sitting one or the other. And that can and probably will happen once Kruger can move back to catcher. You take Hump out- we have less power. You take Cody out we aren't as scrappy. Plus, we have to play a freshman at catcher which is also less than ideal.

Are you steakonastick? Go back and read, I never took a shot at you. Wouldn't do that bc I respect your baseball opinions, don't agree with all of them which is ok but I respect them.

I hope hump hits I really do. But he hasn't changed the book on himself since he's been here and that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

Todd4State
02-29-2016, 12:17 AM
Are you steakonastick? Go back and read, I never took a shot at you. Wouldn't do that bc I respect your baseball opinions, don't agree with all of them which is ok but I respect them.

I hope hump hits I really do. But he hasn't changed the book on himself since he's been here and that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

I apologize.

Todd4State
02-29-2016, 12:26 AM
FAU hit the starting pitchers. That doesn't mean they quit pitching. Breaux did walk some. Gotta get better. Small gave up 1 hit. He's not a closer. Breaux is good at middle relief. Small is better as a starter or mid relief not a closer. Small needs innings.

Hump needs to focus on one thing - hitting. He's not a pitcher.

Yes my point is they need to be brought along slowly. I thought we threw them to the wolves a little bit last Friday. Let them have some success and build on it.

Steakonastick
02-29-2016, 12:48 AM
Well my guess was Humpreys hit .262 last year in the sec. Would think he could easily improve that number. He's at .382 so far in non conference play. He was below .300 this time last year.

After this weekend I'm more worried about Lowe at first. He's had some bad luck with balls hit right at people. We need his bat to break up Kruger, Rooker and Collins. We will find out a lot about our team the next two weeks.

Very good weekend by Cody by the way.

Love the fire that marrero plays with. He proably put a dent in home
Plate after his stomp when Rigby got out of that jam.

Blackout
02-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Well my guess was Humpreys hit .262 last year in the sec. Would think he could easily improve that number. He's at .382 so far in non conference play. He was below .300 this time last year.

Kruger's hitting .517 now, he probably should be at .700 this time next year*

Stats at this point don't mean shit

Steakonastick
02-29-2016, 08:26 AM
So a player improving his average .12 from sec play to the next year is impossible?