PDA

View Full Version : Johnny jones

msstate7
02-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Down 10 at Arkansas... If lsu doesn't make the tourney, does jones get canned? No way lsu should be this average

BeardoMSU
02-23-2016, 08:25 PM
He is turrible.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Stans didn't leave the SEC, he just took over LSU.

smootness
02-23-2016, 08:28 PM
He absolutely should be.

chef dixon
02-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Yes. What good is recruiting if it doesn't even get you in the dance?

HoopsDawg
02-23-2016, 08:32 PM
could be the first team since 1978 to have the no. 1 pick and not make the tourney. I'm not sure how many teams even made the tourney in '78.

BeardoMSU
02-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Stans didn't leave the SEC, he just took over LSU.
He's a lot worse than Stans, who never had close to the talent this dude has.

msstate7
02-23-2016, 08:37 PM
I kinda hope lsu goes ahead and fires jones. If they don't this year, I think it's certain next year bc they aren't recruiting near the level they usually do. I don't want lsu to fire jones next year once Howland starts getting us really turned around. I don't want them offering Howland... Maybe just a crazy theory

CadaverDawg
02-23-2016, 08:39 PM
He's a lot worse than Stans, who never had close to the talent this dude has.

Yep, Stans woulda won the SEC this year with that talent.

Woulda gotten bounced by a Play-in Game winner in the Round of 32, but would have won the SEC.

LC Dawg
02-23-2016, 08:43 PM

Woulda gotten bounced by a Play-in Game winner in the Round of 32, but would have won the SEC.

It's funny because it's true.

confucius say
02-23-2016, 09:19 PM

So true

BeardoMSU
02-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Damn, lol.

RougeDawg
02-23-2016, 09:25 PM
Wanted to post this last night. Jones has eased more talent than Stans ever did. He gone if they miss tourney. Radio guys down here were all but saying it today on radio before tonight.

messageboardsuperhero
02-23-2016, 11:11 PM
Johnny Jones is the worst coach I've seen in a long time. You'd be hard pressed to find 10 more talented teams in college basketball, but he's going to have them miss the tournament. That's a fireable offense. It's disgraceful how bad LSU is right now.

mic
02-23-2016, 11:26 PM
JJ makes Stands look like John Wooden ..

War Machine Dawg
02-24-2016, 01:05 AM

It's funny because it's true.

So true

Damn, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/i1JJ3ea.gif

MarketingBully
02-24-2016, 01:19 AM
I kinda hope lsu goes ahead and fires jones. If they don't this year, I think it's certain next year bc they aren't recruiting near the level they usually do. I don't want lsu to fire jones next year once Howland starts getting us really turned around. I don't want them offering Howland... Maybe just a crazy theory

He would go to an Adidas school if he leaves. I would think Kansas would be a threat if Self left or maybe Louisville if Rick Pitino retired. Hopefully Louisville gets hammered hard by the NCAA so that threat would be done away with. I don't think he would go to another SEC school. I hope that he stays here at least 10+ years. I think he could win a national title at MSU. He is probably the best coach we have hired in any sport.

Johnson85
02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
He would go to an Adidas school if he leaves. I would think Kansas would be a threat if Self left or maybe Louisville if Rick Pitino retired. Hopefully Louisville gets hammered hard by the NCAA so that threat would be done away with. I don't think he would go to another SEC school. I hope that he stays here at least 10+ years. I think he could win a national title at MSU. He is probably the best coach we have hired in any sport.

Agree on LSU. If he leaves, it's not going to be for a practically lateral move. Any of the elite schools could be a threat, but I honestly think he's so focused on basketball that lateral moves that might make sense because of being in a place closer to family or just a place he'd rather live aren't going to be appealing to him.

smootness
02-24-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm not that worried about Howland leaving. He's not going to be attractive to an elite school again until he completely turns us around, and he's already about to be 59. I just don't see programs like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc. looking in his direction. Those programs don't hire guys that will only be around for a few years.

Johnson85
02-24-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm not that worried about Howland leaving. He's not going to be attractive to an elite school again until he completely turns us around, and he's already about to be 59. I just don't see programs like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc. looking in his direction. Those programs don't hire guys that will only be around for a few years.

That's what I thought too, but then I looked at how old a lot of elite basketball coaches are, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect another 10 to 15 years out of Howland. I do think it will be viewed as a slight negative when those schools look at him, but I don't think it will be a deal breaker like I assumed at first.

HancockCountyDog
02-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Down 10 at Arkansas... If lsu doesn't make the tourney, does jones get canned? No way lsu should be this average

He makes Stans look like Bobby Knight.

chef dixon
02-24-2016, 02:18 PM
That's what I thought too, but then I looked at how old a lot of elite basketball coaches are, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect another 10 to 15 years out of Howland. I do think it will be viewed as a slight negative when those schools look at him, but I don't think it will be a deal breaker like I assumed at first.

If howland only stays 3 years, I'd still owe him my left nut for all he will have done for our basketball program

Joe Schmedlap
02-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Johnny Jones is the worst coach I've seen in a long time. You'd be hard pressed to find 10 more talented teams in college basketball, but he's going to have them miss the tournament. That's a fireable offense. It's disgraceful how bad LSU is right now.

It's actually enjoyable how bad LSU is right now.

smootness
02-24-2016, 03:31 PM

But the elite programs are looking for a guy who is going to be around for a long time.

Coach K - 33 when Duke hired him
Bill Self - 41 when Kansas hired him
Roy Williams - 38 when Kansas hired him, 53 when UNC hired him
Tom Izzo - 40 when Mich. St. hired him
Rick Pitino - 37 when Kentucky hired him, 49 when Louisville hired him
John Calipari - 50 when Kentucky hired him

Before Williams, UNC hired Doherty at 38 and Dean Smith at 30. Kentucky hired Gillispie at 48 and Tubby Smith at 46. UCLA hired Howland at 46, Alford at 49, Lavin at 32, and Harrick at 50.

These coaches may coach into their late 60s and 70s, but that's not when they're hired by big-time schools. The only real outlier is Guthridge at UNC at 60, and that was a unique circumstance. Howland will be past 60 at the point in which he would get a look from an elite school, and that's a big mark against him at that point. I just can't see them coming after him.

whosyourdawgy
02-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Saw a tweet today about firing Jones. It said with the state of things in LA and their budget crunch that they can not afford to fire him right now. Interesting! So he will keep his job because they can't afford to pay his buyout and bring in another and pay him what is necessary to hire the right guy