PDA

View Full Version : Let's throw out some DL names thread

BeastMan
02-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Here's a few of the top of my head:

Tosh Lupoi- current OLM coach at Bama. Young guy known as a recruiter.

Rick Petri- current La Tech DL coach. This is your experience guy that you know can coach X's and O's. Been at Duke, Miami, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and more.

Bam Hardmon- current Troy DL coach. Young up and comer. Spent a couple years at Idaho before going to Troy. Played LB at Florida early 2000s and is familiar with SEC. Played in NFL.

Deke Adams- current DL coach at East Carolina. Played at USM so here is your MS ties guy. He was with Fedora at USM and then at NC. Next he was on Spurrier's staff at SC coaching Clowney, Quarrels, and crew.

Mike Pelton- current DL coach at Georgia Tech. Before that he coached at Auburn and with Chiz at ISU. Went to Auburn and played in NFL. As hard as we're hitting Bama he could help there plus familiarity with the SEC.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
L D Scott at Louisville. May be a tough pull since it's his alma mater. But is a young good coach and great recruiter.

BeastMan
02-23-2016, 12:47 PM
L D Scott at Louisville. May be a tough pull since it's his alma mater. But is a young good coach and great recruiter.

Just heard he only made 150k last year. We could double that without blinking should we chose to

CadaverDawg
02-23-2016, 12:47 PM
It's only a matter of time before we start having to set our sites on lesser names. Our program is starting to develop a reputation and people will eventually take notice and turn down interviews/offers. UNLESS they just view us as a stepping stone. That may work...but no established coaches will touch us after much more of this turnover. My opinion.

BeastMan
02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
It's only a matter of time before we start having to set our sites on lesser names. Our program is starting to develop a reputation and people will eventually take notice and turn down interviews/offers. UNLESS they just view us as a stepping stone. That may work...but no established coaches will touch us after much more of this turnover. My opinion.

This is a DL gig. Not a DC. A lot of these guys don't make a ton of money that I listed and we can give all of them raises. Do we go poach a coach from Bama or Auburn? Probably not. But we can get up and comers easily. That's what Mullen has consistently done.

Jarius
02-23-2016, 12:58 PM

The sooner our fans realize that our job is a stepping stone job to 99.99% of the people we are in the market to hire the sooner we can all stop melting every time someone leaves.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Brick Hailey

Big4Dawg
02-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Tosh Lupoi worked/friends with Sirmon btw.

BeastMan
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Brick Hailey

I'd be thrilled. I think Texas is a sinking ship but they just recruited so well they got some offseason momentum. I wonder if we could poach Brick. If this Strong/UL booster's wife deal got messy enough, maybe he'd leave for more money.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2016, 01:08 PM
I'd be thrilled. I think Texas is a sinking ship but they just recruited so well they got some offseason momentum. I wonder if we could poach Brick. If this Strong/UL booster's wife deal got messy enough, maybe he'd leave for more money.

Brick only made $250k last year.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Brick just turned down A & M and Texas matched their offer. Don't know what that offer was but suspect around $350-450,000.

basedog
02-23-2016, 01:19 PM

I remember when we use to beg for Coaches to come to Msu as a "stepping stone".

Dawgbite
02-23-2016, 01:34 PM
All college coaching jobs are stepping stones outside of 5-10 Head Coaching positions and they are mostly at the mercy of the NFL. It will be OK, I'm sure we will be able to field a team next fall.

Johnson85
02-23-2016, 01:37 PM

What DL coaches would you want that don't view DL coach as a stepping stone? I get there are people out there that are in the latter part of their career that recognize the ability to be a head coach or even DC has passed them by, but how many of them want to go recruit the way we need our DL coach to recruit?

smootness
02-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Oh please. We used to be concerned because none of our coaches every left for better gigs. Now we're concerned because they are?

The fact that we have so many assistants move onto better jobs is an advantage in attracting more talented coaches. The question as to whether the turnover rate is worth the upgrade in coaching ability is a legitimate question, but this will absolutely not hurt our ability to attract other names.

BeastMan
02-23-2016, 01:51 PM
No one is throwing out names. Names gents. Who do you want to interview?

Jarius
02-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Is there a chance that one of the HS coaches that we hired could move to an on the field role and then backfill one of their roles? I know Peterson wants on the field.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Is there a chance that one of the HS coaches that we hired could move to an on the field role and then backfill one of their roles? I know Peterson wants on the field.

No. We don't want Peterson coaching DL.

Jarius
02-23-2016, 02:07 PM
No. We don't want Peterson coaching DL.

I was thinking more along the lines of shuffling someone else to DL and putting Peterson in their spot, but I have no idea what Peterson even specializes in (by your comment I am going to assume that it is offense).

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 02:10 PM
All college coaching jobs are stepping stones outside of 5-10 Head Coaching positions and they are mostly at the mercy of the NFL. It will be OK, I'm sure we will be able to field a team next fall.

This is the most accurate post in the whole thread. Accept for a very few elite programs ALL coaching jobs have to be viewed as stepping stone jobs. Hell Belichik loses coaches every year and they don't seem to melt, and talk about a tough son of a gun to work for.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-23-2016, 02:13 PM
No one is throwing out names. Names gents.

Probably because there is a good chance that most anyone names won't be the hire haha No one saw Sirmon coming.

deltadawg99
02-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Lance thompson would be a great hire. Would have to give him recruiting coordinator or co-DC title I would think.

TOSH LUPOI has a prior relationship with sirmon and would be a great hire too.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Elijah Robinson at Temple. Good up and coming coach and learned from the best at Penn State.

TUSK
02-23-2016, 02:59 PM
Lance thompson would be a great hire. Would have to give him recruiting coordinator or co-DC title I would think.

TOSH LUPOI has a prior relationship with sirmon and would be a great hire too.

Yup. And to the point of "losing coaches/stepping stone, etc", Tha Bahr used to say "I love losin' em", with regards to coaches moving on to better gigs...

I that sentiment should still be applicable today.

CadaverDawg
02-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Yup. And to the point of "losing coaches/stepping stone, etc", Tha Bahr used to say "I love losin' em", with regards to coaches moving on to better gigs...

I that sentiment should still be applicable today.

Yea, except we're losing guys to parallel jobs. Hell, coaching defense for Sumlin is a death warrant unless you're getting your salary doubled.

Many won't agree with me, but that's fine.

jumbo
02-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Tosh would be a great hire. Robbie and Steve both think he gets a call.

basedog
02-23-2016, 03:59 PM
If so I'm thinking our DC got into Mullen's ear and Turner saw the light! Just guessing but it seems if Tosh is indeed in the mix and gets on board then it would be a upgrade.

Hopefully Mullen has the right right man for the DC job and things get better. Let's hope that is the new agenda.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Paul mentioned an interesting name. While not a pull that will have any type of national cred but Larry Williams at Hinds.

tcdog70
02-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Don't you think Sirmon has a list of Coaches he would like to work with. I'm sure he already knows who he would like to coach his DL. Come on, we might get better. Everything that happens isn't always negative.

fader2103
02-23-2016, 04:47 PM
I know everyone is on the " every asst. coach needs to be a helluva recruiter" mind set right now, but with a young defensive staff. I would like a seasoned guy on the D side. I will admit DL coaches is probably the ones I know least about so. I could be swayed either way on this hire.

TUSK
02-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Yea, except we're losing guys to parallel jobs. Hell, coaching defense for Sumlin is a death warrant unless you're getting your salary doubled.

Many won't agree with me, but that's fine.

Yeah, that's not good...

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Thinking of a name with MS ties. Fred Taite is at Cal. From Hattiesburg and played at USM.

Schultzy
02-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Don't you think Sirmon has a list of Coaches he would like to work with. I'm sure he already knows who he would like to coach his DL. Come on, we might get better. Everything that happens isn't always negative.

This is the big positive to me, Sirmon gets to pick his own DL coach and that will be better for cohesiveness on that side of the ball than keeping a lone holdover plus the new guy will be more beholden to Sirmon for hiring him.

Turner gets to work for Chavis and that's a positive for him plus it's a better situation to be the new guy than the only holdover with a new DC.

RealHastings
02-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Coach O to State. It's a #done #deal.

the59dawg
02-24-2016, 12:46 AM
Brick Hailey

would be another second termer