PDA

View Full Version : Turner to A&M done deal

state66
02-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Cant make this shit up folks. Good lord.

Statefan
02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
David Turner?

Coach34
02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
yeah- I just got a text. Confirmed

state66
02-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Yes

Big4Dawg
02-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Wtf is wrong with our program. We lost every single coach from the defensive staff.

jumbo
02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
mother ****er. seriously?

state66
02-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Its unbelievable

Thick
02-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Orgeron to State!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
This shit is getting laughable at this point. Why the lateral move?

jumbo
02-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Has any team ever had to replace an entire defensive staff that wasn't going through a HC change?

engie
02-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Lost whole defensive staff while offensive staff is untouchable...

Dawgology
02-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Orgeron to State!!

Would it not be funny if Preachermatt was right finally. But I think we will get a "young up-and-comer". It would be cool to throw the DL coach and asst head coach title at Orgeron with a $700k price tag and see what he says.

Statefan
02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Not to mention A&M isnt the safest place for a coaching staff with Sumlin in charge....

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Would it not be funny if Preachermatt was right finally. But I think we will get a "young up-and-comer". It would be cool to throw the DL coach and asst head coach title at Orgeron with a $700k price tag and see what he says.

I thought he already made more than that

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Something is seriously wrong with our program right now.

I wish their was some transparency about what's going on. These are lateral moves. People don't do this if they are happy.

I've never seen this many people jump ship after a team was ranked number 1. How does this happen?

Dawgtini
Interesting that the CL can "break" this but knew nothing about NCAA in Oxford for 3 YEARS. **

PassInterference

This.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Sad, but true. It just makes no sense that Mullen wouldn't move Sallach off the field after they were going to do it once before.

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Yet no Ole Miss coaches have left. Wonder why?

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 09:49 AM

I wish their was some transparency about what's going on. These are lateral moves. People don't do this if they are happy.

I've never seen this many people jump ship after a team was ranked number 1. How does this happen?
I don't understand it either. But there has to be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Not unless it's just money. We will never keep any good guys if we don't pony up

Coach34
02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
We cant give away someone from our offensive staff

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Has anyone ever asked this question: how can MSU ever build a championship program if our coaches are all poached while we are building the program?

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 09:52 AM
I refuse to believe it is just money. Turner has left before. On the upside this lets Sirmon bring in "his" guy. Hopefully it will be a positive in th long run.

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Isn't it possible that Sirmon may have his own guy in mind for the job? Just a thought.

Boodawg
02-23-2016, 09:53 AM
So um doesn't lose any of their key coaches that I know of, in the wake of the investigation, and we lose our entire defensive staff. What gives?

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Isn't it possible that Sirmon may have his own guy in mind for the job? Just a thought.

Well he better now. This just sux

Big4Dawg
02-23-2016, 09:54 AM
So um doesn't lose any of their key coaches that I know of, in the wake of the investigation, and we lose our entire defensive staff. What gives?

Yep.

We really need to quit worrying about OM's cheating/success and focus on what we need to do to keep our coaches for more than 2 years after any success or getting the shitty ones fired.

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Bama lost almost their entire defensive staff this year. I like that comparison better and a lot less little brother.

Dawgface
02-23-2016, 09:56 AM

That's a possibility and the positive spin one can make. Let's hope that's the case.

Jack Lambert
02-23-2016, 09:57 AM
I think it's a good thing. Maybe we will get guys who will plan for games better. It's not like our defenses hasn't given up a lot of yard the past few years. Ole Miss shamed our defensive staff last year. They all should have been fired anyways for the shit show they planed.

Homedawg
That's a possibility and the positive spin one can make. Let's hope that's the case.

Well if you want a positive spin. But that's not the case.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
focus on what we need to do to keep our coaches for more than 2 years after any success or getting the shitty ones fired.
Wasn't Turner just promoted?

Really Clark?

Um. Everybody kind of knows what they are about and don't want them. Luke tried to get out this year for USM. They didn't even interview him.

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Its not unusual for new coordinators to want their own guys when they take a job. Someone that goes along with their coaching philosophy and someone they know. Not saying that's whats happening but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I like to study on all the possiblities before I freak out over something. Not always good just to react on emotion lol

dawgday166
02-23-2016, 10:01 AM
This is starting to resemble Stans' last few years as HC at State. There is some behind the scenes turmoil that folks must not be discussing or something similar.

Boodawg
02-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Well at least Sirmon hasn't left yet. ***

StThierry
02-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Have to wonder if this is the eventual end of CM

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 10:04 AM

I laughed at this, well done!

dawgday166

Based on history ... this will be his last year at State.

Dawgtini
Its not unusual for new coordinators to want their own guys when they take a job. Someone that goes along with their coaching philosophy and someone they know. Not saying that's whats happening but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I like to study on all the possiblities before I freak out over something. Not always good just to react on emotion lol

You mean we can't go straight to Mullen is an ass, we suck, YANKEE, erebody wants out of starkghanny. We poorz!! Jeez, how much little brother do some have to go straight to NM talking points.

Jarius
02-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Us losing Turner is not a good thing, but the UM staff is not just staying there because they love Oxford and Freeze so much. They are staying there because everyone in the coaching profession knows that they are only worth a crap because of the talent that they accumulate and they aren't going to be able to recruit that way at other schools because other schools don't drive 150 mph down the interstate. They hired a bunch of washed up has beens and guys with criminal records that all of a sudden turned into ace recruiters late in their career. It's the equivalent to Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, etc. hitting for more power at the end of their career than they did at the beginning.

Homedawg

Again- turner left on his own free will. He wasn't pushed out by any shape, form or fashion.

Liverpooldawg

The UM staff is under a BIG cloud at the moment. Think about it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Yet no Ole Miss coaches have left. Wonder why?

BrunswickDawg
02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Not judging good or bad - but since he entered coaching in 1986, Turner has never spent more than 3 years in one place. Moving on seems to be his MO.

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2016, 10:09 AM
In all honesty our defense has sucked the last few years. I'm not that fussed about making a clean break.

state66
This is major red flags on the type of program Mullen is running. Ive never seen a prpgram with this type of attrition.

Commercecomet24
You mean we can't go straight to Mullen is an ass, we suck, YANKEE, erebody wants out of starkghanny. We poorz!! Jeez, how much little brother do some have to go straight to NM talking points.

I'm to old and seen to much to just react without studying all angles first. Things are never as bad or as good as they seem.

Dawgface
02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
This is starting to resemble Stans' last few years as HC at State. There is some behind the scenes turmoil that folks must not be discussing or something similar.

Most of us have concluded that Dan does not want to be here. Based on his job inquires. The assistants might think.....why should they hang around? Get out while the getting is good. I hope that's not the case.

Liverpooldawg

It's not that hard to figure out dude. Would you hire a stock trader who was under active public investigation by the SEC?

Edited to say this was for shotguns post, not yours.

msstate7
Maybe turner was upset about us hiring an outside DC.

Hey preacher, how about Ed O as co-DC**

engie
02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Calling it now -- Tosh Lupoi to State. Coached DL with Sirmon at Washington and is current outside linebackers coach at Bama @ $425k. Every bit the recruiter that Ogre is. Pay him $500k, make him co-DC, and let's churn this milk into butter.

Tbonewannabe
If nothing else, I am glad he got Simmons before he left. At least he didn't screw us over like Townsend did right before signing day. We now have a little while to hire someone before spring training.

C222
Wtf is wrong with our program. We lost every single coach from the defensive staff.

I tried to warn you.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Calling it now -- Tosh Lupoi to State. Coached DL with Sirmon at Washington and is current outside linebackers coach at Bama @ $425k. Every bit the recruiter that Ogre is. Pay him $500k, make him co-DC, and let's churn this milk into butter.

By far the best post in this thread.

C222
02-23-2016, 10:13 AM
I think it's a good thing. Maybe we will get guys who will plan for games better. It's not like our defenses hasn't given up a lot of yard the past few years. Ole Miss shamed our defensive staff last year. They all should have been fired anyways for the shit show they planed.

So the guy that kinda saved our awful recruiting class is leaving and it's a good thing? Don't be that guy.

Tbonewannabe

Sounds like a great get. We have a few guys to recruit MS, it would be great to get some more recruiters to broaden our recruiting areas.

jumbo

Would be 100% on board with this. Mullen/Sirmon better make a great hire.

Commercecomet24

Now there's a rational thought! We have to start learning to spin this stuff ourselves. Everyone else spins it to their advantage, why can't we?

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 10:14 AM
This is major red flags on the type of program Mullen is running. Ive never seen a prpgram with this type of attrition.

Do a little research. Mullen's number as a whole are actually pretty average. Numerous coaches in the SEC have lost more over the last 4 years.

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Do a little research. Mullen's number as a whole are actually pretty average. Numerous coaches in the SEC have lost more over the last 4 years.

This is accurate. It happens, its part of the profession. And its amazing that it only happens to programs that are successful. Wonder why that is?

dawgwood
02-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Assistants that left the coaching staff under Dan Mullin rarely match or find better success at other jobs.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX

Correct, his problem is more with the ones he isn't losing.

Liverpooldawg
Now there's a rational thought! We have to start learning to spin this stuff ourselves. Everyone else spins it to their advantage, why can't we?

Because we are poor old little brother Mississippi State and our fans don't know how to act any other way. Our fanbase needs to grow a pair, and more importantly, a brain.

PassInterference
02-23-2016, 10:20 AM

THIS. (that's twice today...Engie is on it)

PassInterference
02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
It could be worse. Turner could have left us in January, leaving our DL crootin out to dry.

IIRC, Mullen took some actions a while back to keep coaches from leaving before NSD. So that's a big, big plus.

Prentis
02-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Why is everyone saying that all of the coaches are just leaving? If you ask me all of them left for a better gig, except Turner, and Manny just wanted to go home.

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 10:23 AM
So many coaches leaving. Gotta stop this shit before it spreads to Hev......

Commercecomet24
02-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Now this is funny!

HoopsDawg
02-23-2016, 10:27 AM
A&M has really put together a great staff. Chavis and Turner on D. They just hired an excellent O-line coach. They have recruited very well. I look for them to be very strong the near future.

No positive spin to us losing Turner. He was our best recruiter and probably best coach. It's going to be tough to find a D-line coach at this point. May have to look to a non-Power 5 conference. Thank you Turner for signing Jeff Simmons before you left.

HoopsDawg

Hev and Knox have been here since the beginning.

Dawgtini
Most of us have concluded that Dan does not want to be here. Based on his job inquires. The assistants might think.....why should they hang around? Get out while the getting is good. I hope that's not the case.

And that is why good/great young coaches like T Buck, Sirmon, Linguist decided to come on board so that they could be looking for a job again next year? I don't buy it. As someone said above, a "clean break" may be just what the doctor ordered. I think Mullen has recommitted and is retooling his entire organization. The hate for some of the offensive coaches is just internet rumor and innuendo, and we may even see some changes there. However, our offense has been in the top quartile of the conference the last several years, so I don't know that a lot of changes are necessary there.

engie

It's funny and sad that, at this point right now, Gonzo is the only assistant remaining that I'd hate to lose...

RougeDawg
02-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Until Dan stops being a Yankee and also stops meddling with and tinkering with the defense, we will continue to see this. Honestly, please raise your hand if you'd want to work for someone who knows little about what you do but constantly tries to tell you how you could do your job better. And on f*cking top of that he will not get rid of one of your colleagues who absolutely sucks and covers an area which the head boss has the most experience? Jesus some of you throw logic and perspective out the windows when you put on your maroon glasses. Wake up. This comes from the mismanagement at the top.

engie
02-23-2016, 10:28 AM

And Sallach...

BHildreth3
02-23-2016, 10:31 AM
It's so obvious that these coaches are sick and tired of working for Mullen, except his good friends (Sallach, Hev and Gonzo) and then you have Knox who know one seems to want.

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 10:33 AM
It's so obvious that these coaches are sick and tired of working for Mullen, except his good friends (Sallach, Hev and Gonzo) and then you have Knox who know one seems to want.

If you are going to tote water for UNM, at least throw in the obligatory **YANKEE!!!11!!!**

Coach34
02-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Nobody changes DC's like we do- nobody. So all this "other schools have more turnover is BS"...our defensive turnover has been ridiculous. Mullen's boys staying are the only reason the numbers seem decent

HaggardDawg
02-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Turner leaving has everything to do with Mullen. The cold hard fact is Turner is willing to risk working for a coach who is on the hot seat than work another day for Dan. It's that simple. It's no secret that Mullen treats the defensive staff like crap. Here's proof that Mullen has a management problem (understatement of the year). Every single coach on staff in the last year with even the slightest marketability has left. The only ones left are Dans boys Hev, Gonzo, and Sallach. Gonzo is the only one who deserves a job out of those three.

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 10:39 AM

And that's mind blowing. We lose all these guys, but Hev continues to fail and stay

Coach007
02-23-2016, 10:39 AM
This wasn't a surprise. I don't begrudge Mullen nor Turner! Both handled this with like friends and pros.

engie
02-23-2016, 10:40 AM
The hate for some of the offensive coaches is just internet rumor and innuendo, and we may even see some changes there. However, our offense has been in the top quartile of the conference the last several years, so I don't know that a lot of changes are necessary there.

This offense was as disappointing as any at MSU. They were still pretty good -- but they were expected to be alot better.

I don't know how you can argue that there is a double standard there on the pressure we put on guys. Until 2014, MSU had never had an offense statistically better than the defense nationally. I had shown that before.

DL - 09 - Turner
10 - 12 - Wilson
13 - 15 - Turner
16 - ?

LB - 09 - Torbush
10 - Diaz
11 - 14 Collins
15 - Diaz
16 - Sirmon

S - 09 - 15 Hughes
16 - Linguist

CB - 09 - 12 - Smith
13 - 15 - Townsend
16 - Buckley

DC - 09 - Torbush
10 - Diaz
11 - 12 - Wilson
13 - 14 - Collins
15 - Diaz
16 - Sirmon

OL - 09 - 16 - Hevesy

RB - 09 - 16 - Knox

TE - 09 - 16 - Sallach

WR - 09 - 10 - Hudspeth
11 - Mirando
12 - Brewster
13 - 15 - Gonzalez

QB - 09 - 13 - Koenning
14 - 16 - Johnson

OC - 09 - 13 - Koenning

Pretty clear difference in the standards we are holding guys to there...

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Nobody changes DC's like we do- nobody. So all this "other schools have more turnover is BS"...our defensive turnover has been ridiculous. Mullen's boys staying are the only reason the numbers seem decent

We should have kept Torbush? Diaz leaves for Texas after 1 year. You think we should have kept Wilson? Collins goes to Florida and Diaz to his hometown of Miami. Without context you make a valid point but when you list each DC and what happened the narrative is much different than what you want to paint.

Coach007
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
We should have kept Torbush? Diaz leaves for Texas after 1 year. You think we should have kept Wilson? Collins goes to Florida and Diaz to his hometown of Miami. Without context you make a valid point but when you list each DC and what happened the narrative is much different than what you want to paint.

Yep!

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
This wasn't a surprise. I don't begrudge Mullen nor Turner! Both handled this with like friends and pros.

boom! Thanks, coach.

engie
02-23-2016, 10:51 AM
It's not that we lose guys -- it's that we lose guys that we want to keep to lateral moves.

If we were losing the underperformers at an equal rate instead of keeping them entire tenures -- I'd be 100% fine with everything that's happening. Just hate to keep losing good coaches while coaches that I think much lower of manage to stick around and get raises...

CottonDog
02-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Haven't we pretty confidently had the best offenses in school history under Mullen? Maybe his buddies are better than they are getting credit?

jumbo
02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
It's not that we lose guys -- it's that we lose guys that we want to keep to lateral moves.

If we were losing the underperformers at an equal rate instead of keeping them entire tenures -- I'd be 100% fine with everything that's happening. Just hate to keep losing good coaches while coaches that I think much lower of manage to stick around and get raises...

This all day. If he left to go be a DC or even an HC, then sure go for it. But this move is lateral at best and if the reports are true he's taking less money.

smootness
02-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Can someone name all the guys who weren't forced out that left in lateral moves? Off the top of my head, I can think of Turner twice, and then you can argue Diaz to Miami. That's it.

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Look, I don't know why everyone is so surprised about this. Mullen is going to be a 7-8 win coach for the foreseeable future at MSU in most years. We may vary to 6 wins or even 9 or 10 in certain seasons depending on the strength of the competition but we are what we are and its not going to change. I'm not going to get pissed about it because we have certainly been much worse and the SEC is tougher than its ever been to win at a high level. Our offense will always be pretty good but keeping coaches like Hev and Sallach based on friendship will keep us from getting to max potential because we can't get the talent at the OL to sign with us that we need to be big time. They really drag down the recruiting potential, especially Hev. On defense, we will be average most of the time and a training ground for defensive coaches who are constantly looking for other jobs because Mullen dumps on them, we don't pay top dollar to assistants, and we aren't a truly "high profile" program in the minds of a lot of assistants. We are a minor bowl team most years under Mullen and most MSU fans will be happier if they just accept that. I've long moved on from the "building a championship program" mantra that Mullen started out with. Mullen and staff don't/can't recruit at a high enough level nor do we hire and retain top assistants at a level necessary to routinely compete for championships in the SEC. At this point I've resigned myself to it being sort of what it is. There is only so much "coaching up" you can do when you can't retain continuity among the staff and you are missing too many top recruiting targets at key positions. And like I said, there are much worse things at MSU that winning 7 to 8 football games most years because I've lived through a lot of it.

Coach007
02-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Who? Who have we lost to lateral moves? Collins? No. He left for a team loaded with defensive talent who has a higher ceiling for lay. Was it Townsend? Going to the NFL?? Who are all of these lateral move coaches?

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 10:59 AM
This offense was as disappointing as any at MSU. They were still pretty good -- but they were expected to be alot better.

I don't know how you can argue that there is a double standard there on the pressure we put on guys. Until 2014, MSU had never had an offense statistically better than the defense nationally. I had shown that before.

DL - 09 - Turner - Left to work for his pal and new head coach Joker
10 - 12 - Wilson - You wanted to keep him?
13 - 15 - Turner - ???? possible he wanted to move for reasons other than **AZZ!! YANKEE!!1!!** ??
16 - ?

LB - 09 - Torbush - You wanted to keep him?
10 - Diaz - left for a HUGE raise to TEXAS. A team with a legendary coach and coming off a fairly recent NC
11 - 14 Collins - Left for FLORIDA. Lateral? Maybe. Definitely more fertile recruit territory and with a new staff and opp. to grow his resume
15 - Diaz - Left to back to his home town with a new head coach. I bet he stays several years
16 - Sirmon - Welcome!

S - 09 - 15 Hughes - Left to become a HEAD COACH
16 - Linguist - Welcome!

CB - 09 - 12 - Smith - According to some on here he was ASKED to leave. You wanted to keep him?
13 - 15 - Townsend - Did a great job and had a shot to go back to the NFL where he wanted to be.
16 - Buckley - Welcome!

DC - 09 - Torbush -**SEE LB info above**
10 - Diaz
11 - 12 - Wilson
13 - 14 - Collins
15 - Diaz
16 - Sirmon

OL - 09 - 16 - Hevesy - Has been serviceable most years. Many on here were singing his praises for making chicken salad just over a year ago.

RB - 09 - 16 - Knox - Other than last year, we have had a consistent stud RB

TE - 09 - 16 - Sallach - I would say that TE have been a strength since the emergence of Green and RoJo

WR - 09 - 10 - Hudspeth - Left to be a HEAD COACH
11 - Mirando - Really, you though we should have kept him?
12 - Brewster - Wanted to keep him and he wanted the prestige over the $$$ for FSU. Good career move for him?
13 - 15 - Gonzalez - Doing an outstanding job!

QB - 09 - 13 - Koenning - Did fine and made room for Johnson
14 - 16 - Johnson - Awesome hire. Welcome!

OC - 09 - 13 - Koenning - In name only, and Mullen has done well since his departure.

Pretty clear difference in the standards we are holding guys to there...

So really, I don't see any MAJOR problem. Would more continuity be nice? Sure, but almost everyone listed above made a career improvement in title, location, or family life.

Coach007
02-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Can someone name all the guys who weren't forced out that left in lateral moves? Off the top of my head, I can think of Turner twice, and then you can argue Diaz to Miami. That's it.

You can't even argue Diaz.... The guy went home!

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 11:01 AM

There is the problem. Your opinion, or mine, of the "other coaches" doesn't mean squat. It's Mullen's ass, not ours. He gets to make the call. We have to live with it.

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2016, 11:03 AM

MSU to Texas or Miami is a lateral move? We may see it that way but most don't. That is a fact.

Jarius
02-23-2016, 11:03 AM
I think that some of our fans consider these lateral moves when they really are not considered lateral in the coaching circles. Florida DC is an upgrade in prestige. Texas DC is an upgrade in prestige and pay. Miami DC is an upgrade in prestige. Texas A&M is an upgrade in prestige. Head coach is an upgrade in prestige. NFL db coach is an upgrade in prestige. Some of the pay is the same because we now have SEC money and can pay with the likes of anyone, but it is easier to win at other spots and it is considered an easier spot to work your way up at these other jobs our coaches are taking. We can stick our head in the sand all that we want, but MSU is not a destination spot for the overwhelming amount of people we are looking to hire.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 11:07 AM
This all day. If he left to go be a DC or even an HC, then sure go for it. But this move is lateral at best and if the reports are true he's taking less money.

What percentage accross the country are not lateral? Steele leaves LSU for Auburn. That's at least lateral. Chavis left last year for A & M. Both, same job, same division in the same conference. There are more lateral moves than what many would call promotional.

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 11:10 AM
MSU to Texas or Miami is a lateral move? We may see it that way but most don't. That is a fact.

I didn't blame Manny the first time he left but after basically being rehired by MSU the second time around when he was almost considered tainted goods I do believe he owed it to MSU to stay at least 3 years. But, in today's world its every man for himself so he did the one and done thing again. Yes, going back to a place where you have some roots is nice but being a man of your word should mean something as well.

17thebears
02-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Engie, you know better than to think we are about to pay someone $150k more than Turner made last year, in their first year here.

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 11:14 AM

I tend to agree with you. Mullen having 1 foot out the door last year probably put a bad taste in our coordinators' mouths. Our headman need to show some long-term commitment to our program somehow. What's his buyout clause? If we really want him long-term, that should be raised.

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 11:19 AM
I didn't blame Manny the first time he left but after basically being rehired by MSU the second time around when he was almost considered tainted goods I do believe he owed it to MSU to stay at least 3 years. But, in today's world its every man for himself so he did the one and done thing again. Yes, going back to a place where you have some roots is nice but being a man of your word should mean something as well.

What....? You must think we shouldn't fire anyone either at any time unless their contract runs out. That's our "word"

Coach007
02-23-2016, 11:21 AM

That's not how it was. It's not how it works. I love the people around me, but if one of them came to me and said the had the opportunity to go home and do the same thing. I would stand-up, walk to him and tell him I get it..... In the end, his number 1 priority isn't to me. It's to his family.

If you can't grasp that it has nothing to do with a debt that he supposedly owed Mullen and MSU, I don't know what to tell you! Some times life isn't about MSU or football.

Coach007
02-23-2016, 11:23 AM
I tend to agree with you. Mullen having 1 foot out the door last year probably put a bad taste in our coordinators' mouths. Our headman need to show some long-term commitment to our program somehow. What's his buyout clause? If we really want him long-term, that should be raised.

Oh look... A bear showed up!

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2016, 11:24 AM

Yep

TrapGame
02-23-2016, 11:27 AM
If Miami doesn't hire Richt we would have kept Manny. Richt is still a good coach and not a retread hire.

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 11:28 AM

2 thumbs up!!

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 11:28 AM
That's not how it was. It's not how it works. I love the people around me, but if one of them came to me and said the had the opportunity to go home and do the same thing. I would stand-up, walk to him and tell him I get it..... In the end, his number 1 priority isn't to me. It's to his family.

If you can't grasp that it has nothing to do with a debt that he supposedly owed Mullen and MSU, I don't know what to tell you! Some times life isn't about MSU or football.

Whatever, the man can do what he wants but he came back saying he would not leave for another DC position. Heck, I wasn't even asking for that, just give us a few years of continuity before leaving even if it is lateral. What other P5 school was even looking at Manny after the Texas disaster?

archdog
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM

One has nothing to do with the other, so why compare the two different situations.
We have the opportunity to build something new at MSU with this string of hires. Time to get it put together for the long haul.

OSCAR
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Been sick all morning and finally get on the board to this. Geeze.

archdog
02-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Not to mention the fact that Turner has been here through like 6 defensive coordinators. That has to be tough working for that many different supervisors over his last 8 years or so.

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 11:33 AM
What....? You must think we shouldn't fire anyone either at any time unless their contract runs out. That's our "word"

Who has Mullen EVER fired that was left without a job at another P5 school? Even Torbush ended up at Kansas. Mullen has been much more loyal to his assistants in that regard than the reverse. I know there have been a couple that he has encouraged to "look around" but none were forced out before having a good landing spot. And the situation with Manny was a little different in the sense that we sort of revitalized his career. Using us as a stepping stone twice is not ideal for sure. I really don't have any issue with Turner leaving now, he came in and gave us 3 or 4 good years and moved on, I'm fine with that. Being a one and done twice like Manny, not so much.

Coach007
02-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Whatever, the man can do what he wants but he came back saying he would not leave for another DC position. Heck, I wasn't even asking for that, just give us a few years of continuity before leaving even if it is lateral. What other P5 school was even looking at Manny after the Texas disaster?

I don't know that anybody thought Miami would have been an option for him. It is what it is, andi have seen enough in Mullen to know that he makes great hires and we don't miss a beat. I trust his judgement

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 11:37 AM
I don't know that anybody thought Miami would have been an option for him. It is what it is, andi have seen enough in Mullen to know that he makes great hires and we don't miss a beat. I trust his judgement

As has been stated, we are probably hurt more on the recruiting front than actual on field coaching. Mullen makes some pretty good hires so on the field coaching will be fine with the turnover, I'm not too worried about that, however, it does take time to build relationship with HS coaches and that's where we get dinged and we often see the results on signing day. Guys like Hev and Sallach that have been around well, I'm not sure how many HS coaches want a relationship with them.

BrunswickDawg
02-23-2016, 11:41 AM
As has been stated, we are probably hurt more on the recruiting front than actual on field coaching. Mullen makes some pretty good hires so on the field coaching will be fine with the turnover, I'm not too worried about that, however, it does take time to build relationship with HS coaches and that's where we get dinged and we often see the results on signing day. Guys like Hev and Sallach that have been around well, I'm not sure how many HS coaches want a relationship with them.
Which makes the office recruiting jobs we hired so important. Those guys will be a huge help with an all new staff. All our new hires have strong recruiting reps.

Bdawg
02-23-2016, 11:41 AM

That's pretty funny. I know my posts are low but in no way I am a bear. What did I say that would make you think that. Are you saying you don't mind your coach looking around? I sure as hell don't like it! And if I worked under him, I wouldn't like it either. Don't call me a bear again, please.

Dawgology
02-23-2016, 11:43 AM
With all of the talk about turnover I thought I would look at efficiency rankings since Mullen took over. Here is what I got from football outsider.com:
Offense Def
2015. 21. 51
2014. 28. 21
2013. 46. 25
2012. 87. 59
2011. 88. 28
2010. 69. 12
2009. 44. 72

Might explain why our D coaches are poached so much. Just thought it was interesting numbers.

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Using us as a stepping stone twice is not ideal for sure.

Maybe we need to realize that's what we are. At least to a lot of people

NCDawg
02-23-2016, 11:47 AM

It would be the best move we could make in my opinion.

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Wow. Firing on all cylinders today, Coach. Way too much mature, sensible dialog from you for many of these folks today. +100

chef dixon
02-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Maybe we need to realize that's what we are. At least to a lot of people

Any rational fan knows this and has known this the entire time.

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 11:53 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Coach again.

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Any rational fan knows this and has known this the entire time.
You mean we aren't level with Texas and Miami.... well I'll be.....

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 11:55 AM

We just hired some well respected high school coaches to help with our issues in that regard. I think Mullen is recommitted and is building the staff - on and off the field - to make another jump with this, OUR, program. It is happening. Enjoy it!

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Uhhhh.....ever heard of Auburn? Win the NC and 2 years later fired their staff.

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2016, 02:16 PM

And they're 2 of the 3 everyone here would axe in a heartbeat.

Until Dan stops being a Yankee and also stops meddling with and tinkering with the defense, we will continue to see this. Honestly, please raise your hand if you'd want to work for someone who knows little about what you do but constantly tries to tell you how you could do your job better. And on f*cking top of that he will not get rid of one of your colleagues who absolutely sucks and covers an area which the head boss has the most experience? Jesus some of you throw logic and perspective out the windows when you put on your maroon glasses. Wake up. This comes from the mismanagement at the top.

Been saying for years Dan is a big micromanager. We've been seeing the fruits, but it wasn't blindingly obvious until this season. Anyone with a functioning brain should've known no successful HC changes his DC EVERY DAMN YEAR.

dawgday166
02-23-2016, 02:17 PM

You're correct Coach ... every season we dominate KY and usually another SEC E team that sucks, and then squeak out wins against 1 - 2 SEC W teams that are having down years. Oh, and we beat up on those stellar OOC opponents we face too.

NCDawg
02-23-2016, 02:18 PM
If Miami doesn't hire Richt we would have kept Manny. Richt is still a good coach and not a retread hire.

Kid of ironic Miami would hire Richt, a job that Mullen apparently wanted, and Richt hired Diaz away from Mullen.

TrapGame
02-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Kid of ironic Miami would hire Richt, a job that Mullen apparently wanted, and Richt hired Diaz away from Mullen.

LOL, I guess if Mullen had gotten the Miami job he would have taken Manny with him.

parabrave
02-23-2016, 02:34 PM

with the exception of 3 or four bad plays and a 4th and 25th OM had a kickass defense.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 02:51 PM
with the exception of 3 or four bad plays and a 4th and 25th OM had a kickass defense.

They were 10th in the league in scoring and total defense in conference only games last season.

TrapGame
02-23-2016, 03:37 PM

Memphis disagrees.

PassInterference
02-23-2016, 03:47 PM

3 or 4 plays and 4th & 25? Arkansas moved the ball at will on OM. Everybody remembers 4th and 25, but Arkansas did just about whatever they wanted on offense during that game.

Percho
02-23-2016, 03:51 PM
You're correct Coach ... every season we dominate KY and usually another SEC E team that sucks, and then squeak out wins against 1 - 2 SEC W teams that are having down years. Oh, and we beat up on those stellar OOC opponents we face too.

Eight years ago and beyond that, we could not beat those teams.

dawgday166
02-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Eight years ago and beyond that, we could not beat those teams.

So you want to stop there then?

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 04:15 PM
So you want to stop there then?

Nobody said a thing about stopping. Most understood when Mullen got here that the right guy would take a decade to build the program to what it needs to be and that wins and losses would never (and this is for every school athletic program that has ever existed) be a straight upward trajectory. The decade is not up and we still have work to do.

dawgday166
02-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Nobody said a thing about stopping. Most understood when Mullen got here that the right guy would take a decade to build the program to what it needs to be and that wins and losses would never (and this is for every school athletic program that has ever existed) be a straight upward trajectory. The decade is not up and we still have work to do.

Ok ... we'll see in a couple of years then. And I think that is reasonable. Clean slate on D staff ... let's see how they do and how they stick.

I have always been bothered by the DC turnover and I believe Mullen mucks with the D too much. I also don't like how he's quick to blame them for an L. He needs to get that O working top-notch all the time (not just for the first 8 games of 2014, which is really the only time it's been that good). Being able to consistently run a 2 minute offense when it's needed would be nice, as well as having good special teams.

Don't know if you notice, but an L is never the Os fault. And many times to me it has been.

Dawgtini
02-23-2016, 04:47 PM
simplistic, but effective.

http://i.imgur.com/1gTyZ40.png

Tripp McNeely
02-23-2016, 05:06 PM
simplistic, but effective.

http://i.imgur.com/1gTyZ40.png

Somebody PLEASE pin this post!!

dawgday166
02-23-2016, 05:26 PM
I believe there needs to be a statue built for him lol.

Coach34
02-23-2016, 05:41 PM
LOL, I guess if Mullen had gotten the Miami job he would have taken Manny with him.

that was their plan. Mullen had the Miami job until Richt got fired

Coast Dawg
02-23-2016, 05:45 PM
It would be the best move we could make in my opinion.

Think he's got a kid at LSU and one going this fall. He's making good $ too, maybe not $700K but not too far off. Love to have him, but don't think he'd come.