PDA

View Full Version : Violations Question

Beaver
02-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Tonight I witnessed a middle aged man buy dinner for 2 large Ole Miss football players (didn't recognize their faces but they were wearing OM gear and discussing football) at a high end restaurant in the Jackson area.

I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time, but would that constitute an impermissible benefits violation?

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Tonight I witnessed a middle aged man buy dinner for 2 large Ole Miss football players (didn't recognize their faces but they were wearing OM gear and discussing football) at a high end restaurant in the Jackson area.

I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time, but would that constitute an impermissible benefits violation?

Yes it is a violation under the premise they are receiving a meal strictly because they are a recognized student athlete. Even if the person was not a RAI before that point, the moment he purchased the meal he became a RAI and committed a violation. And yes it happens all the time.

BeardoMSU
02-23-2016, 12:02 AM
"If you have facts about a violation, email compliance@olemiss.edu. If not, please don't slander the young men" - Do I do, not as I say...

BossDawg
02-23-2016, 01:28 AM

They call that "a date" at UMiss. Whoever the man was probably sent texts to all his friends just to make them jealous.

Beaver
02-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Yes it is a violation under the premise they are receiving a meal strictly because they are a recognized student athlete. Even if the person was not a RAI before that point, the moment he purchased the meal he became a RAI and committed a violation. And yes it happens all the time.

Gotcha. Seems pretty easy to get away with since you could claim you have befrended the football players somehow. I forgot two mention that there were two other guys at the table who were probably in college. So I guess they could just claim to be friends of the football players, and the middle aged man just wanted to treat his son and his "friends" to dinner.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 01:41 AM
Gotcha. Seems pretty easy to get away with since you could claim you have befrended the football players somehow. I forgot two mention that there were two other guys at the table who were probably in college. So I guess they could just claim to be friends of the football players, and the middle aged man just wanted to treat his son and his "friends" to dinner.

It would still be a violation even with the regular students "friends" receiving a meal as well. The NCAA is pretty specific about free meals and what is permissible. Now let's say this guy wanted to treat them to a meal. He could have a player or few players over to his house "occasionally" for a home cooked meal. That is actually ok as long as it doesn't happen often. I think most consider once a month as permissible. He could treat the entire team to a meal on campus or at a normal team meal site that is catered. Those meals would be fine. It's treating them outside of those occasions that is the violation.

WinningIsRelentless
02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
They are former Ole Miss players in Jackson training for the combine probably. Aaron Morris and the Bell kid is who you probably saw.

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Depends on if the football players gave the guy a reacharound to pay for their part of the dinner. They are allowed to work.

Beaver
02-23-2016, 11:24 AM
They are former Ole Miss players in Jackson training for the combine probably. Aaron Morris and the Bell kid is who you probably saw.

Good call. Just looked them up and those were definitely the two players I saw. Now it makes sense why they are in Jackson. So, it's not actually a violation since they are now former players...

DudyDawg
02-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Good call. Just looked them up and those were definitely the two players I saw. Now it makes sense why they are in Jackson. So, it's not actually a violation since they are now former players...

I'd hope not or they wouldn't be alone