PDA

View Full Version : Mullen

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 01:28 PM
This is pretty random but I was just thinking to myself, if Mullen loses to Freeze again next year, how many on this board would be ready to move on?? Not trying to start a huge argument or board war. Just thought it would be a interesting topic. I personally would be ready for a change especially if we were to look as bad against them as we have the last 2 years.

archdog
02-22-2016, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't be ready to move on just because he loses to UM. The bigger story to me is our lack of competitive fight in the final month of the season. Looks like we lose our edge around the Kentucky game every year. We see UM beat Alabama 2 years in a row. We haven't sniffed the panties of beating them yet.

I almost always take the entire season into consideration when judging our teams overall success and failure. Two years ago, almost a total failure due to us closing the season terribly and recruiting. This past season, we at least won our bowl game which cleans up some of the animosity. If we beat LSU, aTm and Auburn this next year, its going to go a long way into some leeway for the UM game. It all matters when looking at whether we cut bait and make a switch.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 01:37 PM
This is pretty random but I was just thinking to myself, if Mullen loses to Freeze again next year, how many on this board would be ready to move on?? Not trying to start a huge argument or board war. Just thought it would be a interesting topic. I personally would be ready for a change especially if we were to look as bad against them as we have the last 2 years.

Depends on our season- not just one game. We are a 6-6 team next year with 4 huge toss-up games - @Kentucky, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Win 3 of those to go 8-4? It's been a solid season. 2-2 gets you 7-5. 1-3 is 6-6 and 0-4 is 5-7.

6-6 or worse? It's time to move on
7-5 or better? He gets one more to see what he can do.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Depends on our season- not just one game. We are a 6-6 team next year with 4 huge toss-up games - @Kentucky, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Win 3 of those to go 8-4? It's been a solid season. 2-2 gets you 7-5. 1-3 is 6-6 and 0-4 is 5-7.

Ok so hold on. Im assuming you think OM is a L. And @ Kentucky cannot be a tossup. We are better than that

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't be ready to move on just because he loses to UM. The bigger story to me is our lack of competitive fight in the final month of the season. Looks like we lose our edge around the Kentucky game every year. We see UM beat Alabama 2 years in a row. We haven't sniffed the panties of beating them yet.

I almost always take the entire season into consideration when judging our teams overall success and failure. Two years ago, almost a total failure due to us closing the season terribly and recruiting. This past season, we at least won our bowl game which cleans up some of the animosity. If we beat LSU, aTm and Auburn this next year, its going to go a long way into some leeway for the UM game. It all matters when looking at whether we cut bait and make a switch.

We should beat Auburn and A&M, I believe thats a reasonable if not a given expectation. Beating LSU @ Baton Rouge will be tough.

MadDawg
02-22-2016, 01:43 PM

I fully expect the fans to turn on Mullen this year. We will most likely lose to the bears again this year. Not because they are that much better, but it will be in oxford and they will have the more experienced QB. Three losses to them will be more than our fickle fans will be able to handle.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Ok so hold on. Im assuming you think OM is a L. And @ Kentucky cannot be a tossup. We are better than that

They will be at home and return alot of starters
We lost 7 draft picks and have alot of questions...we struggled @Kentucky for 3 quarters in 2014 with a much better team

@Kentucky is a toss-up in 2016

Coach34
02-22-2016, 01:49 PM
We should beat Auburn and A&M, I believe thats a reasonable if not a given expectation. Beating LSU @ Baton Rouge will be tough.

Auburn and A&M are much more talented...LSU will beat by 20 in BR

basedog
02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Kentucky has problems bigger than Msu. 2014 has nothing to do with 2016.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 01:54 PM
We lost 7 draft picks and have alot of questions...we struggled @Kentucky for 3 quarters in 2014 with a much better team

Damn man you really think we are going to suck

OSCAR
02-22-2016, 01:56 PM
It would depend on what the rest of the season looked like. Beating them is not our only goal for a season.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Auburn and A&M are much more talented...LSU will beat by 20 in BR

Idk man we must have really different opinions on our overall talent because the only spot that I see that we have major questions is CB. The OL cant be much worse than it was last year and Elgton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun both looked solid and probably didnt play enough. (Dans fault). I like what we have everywhere else, its definitely good enough to beat Auburn and A&M at home. If we lose both of those I would probably be done with Mullen

chef dixon
02-22-2016, 01:59 PM

Yea considering "Fitz throws better than Dak and we would have the same record with him this year" after the Troy game.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-22-2016, 02:02 PM

We return 15 guys who started against NC St & that doesn't include guys like Nelson Adams, Elgton Jenkins, & Jamal Peters who all started at least 2 games.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Yea considering "Fitz throws better than Dak and we would have the same record with him this year" after the Troy game.

Who in the hell said that? I think Fitz is gonna be pretty good but he wasnt better than Dak last year

Johnson85
02-22-2016, 02:23 PM

6-6 will definitely be disappointing, but I don't think it gets him fired unless most of the teams on our schedule end up being bad.

AROB44
02-22-2016, 02:30 PM
I fully expect the fans to turn on Mullen this year. We will most likely lose to the bears again this year. Not because they are that much better, but it will be in oxford and they will have the more experienced QB. Three losses to them will be more than our fickle fans will be able to handle.

Reading this board, I thought they already had. Mullen will probably be gone after the 2017 season.....and then we can start over again.

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Who in the hell said that? I think Fitz is gonna be pretty good but he wasnt better than Dak last year

Several people. There was at least one thread about this very topic last fall. But to qualify it a bit, many were referencing where Fritz and Dak were at the same stage of their career. But some were saying we would have had the exact same record at that point if Fritz was the starter and thought Fritz was the better pure passer but Dak just understood the system and reads so much better that it made him look better. I think that was the bulk of the arguments back then.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
We return 15 guys who started against NC St & that doesn't include guys like Nelson Adams, Elgton Jenkins, & Jamal Peters who all started at least 2 games.

Yeah, but those 7 losses are huge starting with the best QB in school history. Chris Jones, Bear Wilson, Beni Brown, Calhoun, and Redmond are all going to the combine.

I don't see any draft picks on our roster in the junior or senior class except for Fred Ross.

SDDawg
02-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Mullen will get his fire back and beat Freeze in Oxford next year. The shine is off Freeze: he is a known and documented cheater that will be under a ton of pressure. The gravy train will dry up for many of their players. VHS will not be nearly the home field advantage it has been next season when the program is under so much scrutiny.

Dan gets his mojo back at Freeze's expense next year and wins 8 games in the process.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but those 7 losses are huge starting with the best QB in school history. Chris Jones, Bear Wilson, Beni Brown, Calhoun, and Redmond are all going to the combine.

I don't see any draft picks on our roster in the junior or senior class except for Fred Ross.

If Richie Brown, Nick James, AJ Jefferson, Fred Brown, Ced Jiles (when healthy) and others arent draftable then we have a hell of an undraftable class

Ifyouonlyknew
02-22-2016, 03:06 PM

Yes we lost 7 really good 1's I was just responding to the __________ returns so & so starters.

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
If Richie Brown, Nick James, AJ Jefferson, Fred Brown, Ced Jiles (when healthy) and others arent draftable then we have a hell of an undraftable class

Richie is looking at 2nd or possibly even 1st round next year before the season starts. Donald Gray has possibility of getting up the draft boards with a great year. A lot of talent with him.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Idk man we must have really different opinions on our overall talent.....I like what we have everywhere else, its definitely good enough to beat Auburn and A&M at home. If we lose both of those I would probably be done with Mullen

Get ready to be done with Mullen. This talent that you speak of, we return a total of 0 five stars in the junior and senior class combined and only 6 4 stars. This is courtesy of the 247 composite. So out of the junior and senior class combined, we have a total of 6 players ranked higher than 3 stars. Go compare that to AU, Bama, LSU, A&M, and even Ole Miss' roster. That's about on par with Vandy and UK.

Bucky Dog
02-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Please stop this thread! Just like the Cohen's replacement. I mean we are our own worst enemy sometimes! Give at rest guys!

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Bookmark this post, none of those players will be drafted with the possible exceptions of Nick James and R. Brown as late round picks.

Political Hack
02-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Richie is looking at 2nd or possibly even 1st round next year before the season starts. Donald Gray has possibility of getting up the draft boards with a great year. A lot of talent with him.

I think Richie will be drafted but 1st round is a little high...

Richie, Fred, and Nick James all have a shot. Most of the talent next year is young, but I think we've got a good mix of experience and talent. We desperately needed some talent injected into the S spot and we get that. I expect that to help our secondary a lot, a long with the depth of the LB corps. I think we're going to be more balanced and better defensively. I also think we'll go back to running the ball more with a ground control O. Special teams should be just as good if not better. If we're better defensively and better on special teams, along with an improved running game, wel be a lid to handle for a lot of teams. I expect 7-8 wins next season.

Could care less about the egg bowl as it pertains to "keep or fire" Dan. Much more to weigh than that.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Please stop this thread! Just like the Cohen's replacement. I mean we are our own worst enemy sometimes! Give at rest guys!

Relax. People are just talking football. It's an interesting hypothetical.

Bucky Dog
02-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Relax. People are just talking football. It's an interesting hypothetical.

I have no problem with the hypothetical of our schedule or players and such, but the thread is basically asking what it would take to fire Mullen. That's what I have a problem with.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:29 PM
I think Richie will be drafted but 1st round is a little high...

Richie, Fred, and Nick James all have a shot. Most of the talent next year is young, but I think we've got a good mix of experience and talent. We desperately needed some talent injected into the S spot and we get that. I expect that to help our secondary a lot, a long with the depth of the LB corps. I think we're going to be more balanced and better defensively. I also think we'll go back to running the ball more with a ground control O. Special teams should be just as good if not better. If we're better defensively and better on special teams, along with an improved running game, wel be a lid to handle for a lot of teams. I expect 7-8 wins next season.

Could care less about the egg bowl as it pertains to "keep or fire" Dan. Much more to weigh than that.

Unless Mullen brings back the Fullback he used his first 2 years, we won't have much more success running the ball.

beretta
02-22-2016, 03:31 PM
What is interesting to me is that appears Mullen has now gone full court press and may be getting re-energized. I don't think he is going anywhere, and its not because he is stuck or we are stuck. He has had his ass beat on the field by bama every year, and now 2 years in a row by freeze, and a third in a row seems likely. His perception he is getting killed in state by both bama and UM, and along with him being stuck at MSU because of his salary and arrogance, I think it is a good thing to see him go 'all in' and get re-focused. Seeing him hire more recruiting personal inside with Peterson, and 2 new defensive coaches that are known recruiters tells me that he is not just going to roll over and die.

Wish he would have done this year ago, but I guess he didn't have to. He is adapting, and I hope it works out. I also hope he learns to not call a power run on 3rd and 13 down by 14 in the 4th qtr. Those are fireable offenses to me.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:31 PM
I have no problem with the hypothetical of our schedule or players and such, but the thread is basically asking what it would take to fire Mullen. That's what I have a problem with.

After that recruiting class, losing Dak, keeping Hev, plus returning veteran talent or lack thereof, it's going to be an ugly season for Mullen on the message boards. Lose to Ole Miss again, which I expect, and it's going to be really ugly.

dawgs
02-22-2016, 03:34 PM

I don't think it's fickle at all. I mean, Dan has failed to build on the best run of football our program has ever seen while teams we play every single season are running laps around us in recruiting. Dan also gets a tight butthole against good teams and his biggest single fault is being too hardheaded to recognize he should change some things for the betterment of the program. No one is perfect and everyone will make mistakes, the best are those that realize they didn't make the best decision and have the wherewithal to try something else. Dan seems like he refuses to make changes because that will be an admission of failure and instead keeps slamming the QB between the tackles against elite DLs because it worked against vandy.

dawgs
02-22-2016, 03:39 PM

LBs that aren't elite pass rushers have a very hard time getting drafted early in the draft. Richie is an inside LB and not a freak of nature, so the odds of him going in the top 2 rounds next year are pretty much nil.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Our OL will be no better than 10th or 11th best in the SEC. We will run the ball a little better in 2016- but not a whole lot. Our running game is still going to be Holloway, Williams, and 2 others getting limited carries.

Our DL certainly wont be better than last year and may not be as good. Now, Sirmon might do a good job and be more creative to get pressure off the edge- but until I see it- I'm not going to count on it.

Our Secondary is going to be worse. Safety play may improve some- but CB play will be worse. Calhoun locked down Treadwell because he is a pro CB- and you saw the rest of the Secondary get torched. Well, that is what returns for 2016.

We had 2 LB's that knew everything last year- and kept us in good position, lined up correctly, etc. Now we are down to one of those guys. Our Defensive IQ dropped when Bennie left.

Right now I see a team that has some good WR's, a QB that throws a great deep ball but is inexperienced, a questionable OL and DL- questionable depth on either, and a weak Secondary. It's a 6-6 team that could end up 5-7 or best case 8-4 if everything goes perfectly. And we know things never go perfectly.

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Interesting thread. Deflection works.

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 03:50 PM
LBs that aren't elite pass rushers have a very hard time getting drafted early in the draft. Richie is an inside LB and not a freak of nature, so the odds of him going in the top 2 rounds next year are pretty much nil.

We will see. Have seen several project him in the second round already. Some as low as 5th. If he gets his speed down a little more and has another very productive year it's not out of the question he will be a solid 2-3 round pick. It's all conjecture at this point and see who comes out as well.

NCDawg
02-22-2016, 03:53 PM
After that recruiting class, losing Dak, keeping Hev, plus returning veteran talent or lack thereof, it's going to be an ugly season for Mullen on the message boards. Lose to Ole Miss again, which I expect, and it's going to be really ugly.

I think Mullen's refusal to change the OL coach is what will ultimately bring him down. It's apparent that our primary weakness for years has been the offensive line, and Mullen's steadfast refusal to do anything about it is puzzling.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Our OL will be no better than 10th or 11th best in the SEC. We will run the ball a little better in 2016- but not a whole lot. Our running game is still going to be Holloway, Williams, and 2 others getting limited carries.

Our DL certainly wont be better than last year and may not be as good. Now, Sirmon might do a good job and be more creative to get pressure off the edge- but until I see it- I'm not going to count on it.

Our Secondary is going to be worse. Safety play may improve some- but CB play will be worse. Calhoun locked down Treadwell because he is a pro CB- and you saw the rest of the Secondary get torched. Well, that is what returns for 2016.

We had 2 LB's that knew everything last year- and kept us in good position, lined up correctly, etc. Now we are down to one of those guys. Our Defensive IQ dropped when Bennie left.

Right now I see a team that has some good WR's, a QB that throws a great deep ball but is inexperienced, a questionable OL and DL- questionable depth on either, and a weak Secondary. It's a 6-6 team that could end up 5-7 or best case 8-4 if everything goes perfectly. And we know things never go perfectly.

That's a completely realistic take on our team at this point. People can disagree, but if they do it's not based on any sort of factual evidence. It's just being hopeful.

Rankin could blow up and play like the 4 star LT we hoped we signed. Calhoun could play better than Malone. A RB could emerge out of the blue. Fitz or Staley could make us forget about Dak. Sirmon could create pressure off the edge somehow even though we lack speed at DE. Durr or someone could be a stud at corner. I mean all of those things could happen, but it's just not something you can project at this point.

BoomBoom
02-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Flip the tables on him. Openly interview for the position WITHOUT firing him. If you land the right guy, hire him and fire Mullen. If not, give Mullen another year.

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Im surprised you are as down on the DL as you are. I think we should be pretty solid up front with Nick James, Nelson Adams, AJ Jefferson, Simmons if he plays, Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, Jonathan Calvin was playing his ass off down the stretch last year. I think your expectations as far as that group is a little low but thats just my opinion. OL cant be any worse, has to be better with Jenkins and Calhoun starting Mullen really doesnt have a choice but to play them now. Our safeties are going to be nasty and at corner as I said earlier I agree with you. Just hope chris stamps and maruice smitherman are good because Cleveland and Graham looked horrendous. My expectations are 7-8 wins but if our best win is kentucky it wont be and shouldnt be acceptable for a guy 8 years into his time here

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Bookmark this post, none of those players will be drafted with the possible exceptions of Nick James and R. Brown as late round picks.

Im not disagreeing with you Im just saying that if none of them outside of those 2 get drafted, then we have got to have one of the best undrafted player classes ever because that whole group of guys have made plays in the SEC

GTHOM
02-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Get ready to be done with Mullen. This talent that you speak of, we return a total of 0 five stars in the junior and senior class combined and only 6 4 stars. This is courtesy of the 247 composite. So out of the junior and senior class combined, we have a total of 6 players ranked higher than 3 stars. Go compare that to AU, Bama, LSU, A&M, and even Ole Miss' roster. That's about on par with Vandy and UK.

If we dont beat Auburn and A&M at home with they way they have looked on the field and how A&M looks like a trainwreck right now internally then we will seriously need to think about moving on thats all im saying. We cant accept that.

smootness
02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Flip the tables on him. Openly interview for the position WITHOUT firing him. If you land the right guy, hire him and fire Mullen. If not, give Mullen another year.

That would be literally the dumbest thing we could possibly do.

smootness
02-22-2016, 04:42 PM
I really like Calvin and Jefferson off the edge next year. I think that's our best combo of DEs since Mullen has been here.

If Nick James can continue to put it together, I think our DL is going to be really, really good.

DancingRabbit
02-22-2016, 04:44 PM

Dan seems to be fairly well respected around college football, exception being Mississippi based message boards. "Good Jackie" was so long ago that Dan is seen as the coach that made State relevant. If State did what you suggest most potential hires would think we were crazy.

For us to get a new coach, Dan gets hired away, or has two 6-win or worse seasons in a row before he gets fired.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Im surprised you are as down on the DL as you are. I think we should be pretty solid up front with Nick James, Nelson Adams, AJ Jefferson, Simmons if he plays, Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, Jonathan Calvin was playing his ass off down the stretch last year.

I think James played pretty good ball this past season and will do well again as he works toward an NFL shot. AJ is pretty good too. Nelson Adams is solid but he isnt Chris Jones. Corey Thomas will be ok. Fletcher will be ready to play some, as will Simmons. DT wont be bad.

DE is a huge concern. Calvin looked good in the bowl game and does provide more of the speed rush we have needed. Can he hold up and be physical vs LSU, Auburn, and those guys? Who in the hell are the back-up DE's? We have to have 2 more guys that can play DE- and I havent seen them yet.

Our safeties were not very good last year. They wont make the move to "nasty". Could they be much improved? Absolutely.

We say our OL cant be worse- and I agree- but they need some real improvement if Fitz is going to be successful. We cant depend on him to throw it 40 times like we did Prescott. Not in 2016. We'll be looking at a guy that throws 12-13 interceptions if we do. As long as it takes RB's to adjust to our offense apparently- look for alot of Holloway and Williams early, so not much new there.

Hell, I'm scared of SC in Game 2. They have some talent on D returning and if Boom is able to ugly the game up and force some turnovers- we gonna be in for a fight vs them.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 04:58 PM
For us to get a new coach, Dan gets hired away, or has two 6-win or worse seasons in a row before he gets fired.

Mullen didnt get his Foundation contract extended this year after winning 9 games- so that better open some people's eyes as to what is really going on. His buyout went wayyyy down because of that. His antics at the end of the season cost him with people that had been in his corner. 6-6 and another loss to Oxford- and its going to get interesting.

MadDawg
02-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Mullen didnt get his Foundation contract extended this year after winning 9 games- so that better open some people's eyes as to what is really going on. His buyout went wayyyy down because of that. His antics at the end of the season cost him with people that had been in his corner. 6-6 and another loss to Oxford- and its going to get interesting.

Like I said, a loss to the bears making it three in a row and he will have lost the fans. Well most of them anyway. I don't know if that translates into instant firing, but it gets pretty miserable around MSU when the fans turn on the coach.

bulldawg28
02-22-2016, 05:34 PM
I think James played pretty good ball this past season and will do well again as he works toward an NFL shot. AJ is pretty good too. Nelson Adams is solid but he isnt Chris Jones. Corey Thomas will be ok. Fletcher will be ready to play some, as will Simmons. DT wont be bad.

DE is a huge concern. Calvin looked good in the bowl game and does provide more of the speed rush we have needed. Can he hold up and be physical vs LSU, Auburn, and those guys? Who in the hell are the back-up DE's? We have to have 2 more guys that can play DE- and I havent seen them yet.

Our safeties were not very good last year. They wont make the move to "nasty". Could they be much improved? Absolutely.

We say our OL cant be worse- and I agree- but they need some real improvement if Fitz is going to be successful. We cant depend on him to throw it 40 times like we did Prescott. Not in 2016. We'll be looking at a guy that throws 12-13 interceptions if we do. As long as it takes RB's to adjust to our offense apparently- look for alot of Holloway and Williams early, so not much new there.

Hell, I'm scared of SC in Game 2. They have some talent on D returning and if Boom is able to ugly the game up and force some turnovers- we gonna be in for a fight vs them.

I know you like to stick with your words but this is not Croom's team. We actually have legitimate SEC talent with legitimate SEC coaching. We're not bottom feeders under Mullen. You like to bitch and moan too much.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 05:51 PM
I know you like to stick with your words but this is not Croom's team. We actually have legitimate SEC talent with legitimate SEC coaching. We're not bottom feeders under Mullen. You like to bitch and moan too much.

We finished 6th in the West this past year and I dont think we will be as good. There's only one more spot to fall

Dawgface
02-22-2016, 05:59 PM

As it should have.

fishwater99
02-22-2016, 06:02 PM

My Bear buddies said we won't win in 2016, 2017 or 2018. If that's true then that would be 5 losses in a row, and past time for Dan to go...

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 06:05 PM
We finished 6th in the West this past year and I dont think we will be as good. There's only one more spot to fall

It was a pretty tight race in the west though. Win the Egg Bowl or beat LSU with a last second FG and we finish what? 3rd with 9 reg season wins. We didn't obviously but it was a close race from 2-6.

chef dixon
02-22-2016, 06:07 PM
My Bear buddies said we won't win in 2016, 2017 or 2018. If that's true then that would be 5 losses in a row, and past time for Dan to go...

Ole Miss was probably a 7-5 team at best last year if they don't pick up Chad Kelly. That sucks to think about, but anything can happen and they could lose their momentum at any moment.

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2016, 06:11 PM
That would be literally the dumbest thing we could possibly do.

Yes, it would. Total insanity.

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Well, if your bear buddies said so.............

bulldawg28
02-22-2016, 06:19 PM

I don't get the falling to the bottom mindset. Dude we won more than 6 games with Chris Relf at the helm. This offense won't struggle to score against teams. There are too many playmakers and a more mobile Qb. The defense will be solid with playmaking safeties to help the new full time corners and NFL Lb's stopping the run. The pass rush will be better with faster players and more play making ability players there as well. We're winning more than 6 games.

Maroonthirteen
02-22-2016, 06:20 PM
We will not beat them next year. Sorry. But..... No, State shouldn't fire him regardless of the win total.

With that said, State isn't going to have to fire him. He will take another job. He maybe re-energized but I believe he learned from last go around and won't pass on a Maryland type job next year. ESPECIALLY if OM gets a hand slap and he learns what he is up against in recruiting for the fore seeable future.

dawgoneyall
02-22-2016, 06:24 PM

I would still have fired his ass after putting his name in the hat for the Miami job.
That is totally unacceptable.

was21
02-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Personally, I don't use the OM game as a litmus test. It's always obviously a good thing to win that particular game. Nevertheless, it's not like the old old olden days when winning that game would make a season when all the other games were lost. I don't think Mullen's head hangs in the balance over this one game regardless.

Coach34
02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
I don't get the falling to the bottom mindset. Dude we won more than 6 games with Chris Relf at the helm. This offense won't struggle to score against teams. There are too many playmakers and a more mobile Qb. The defense will be solid with playmaking safeties to help the new full time corners and NFL Lb's stopping the run. The pass rush will be better with faster players and more play making ability players there as well. We're winning more than 6 games.

We won 6 games with Relf in 2011...we also had an NFL OG and TB playing with him. We dont have either one of those for 2016. You had OM go 0-8 in the SEC that year too for an easy win. There are no easy West wins these days.

Liverpooldawg
02-22-2016, 06:52 PM
MSU people always think the sky is falling at the drop of a hat.

Bothrops
02-22-2016, 07:33 PM
I think we could be better at multiple positions, but the competition is gonna be tougher, with the exception of Arkansas and Kentucky, although the latter is on the road. I think we'll get raped in Baton Rouge, the competitive last few years in that series are over. So much depends on Fitz and Staley, if one of those guys can hit the ground running we could win 8.

Todd4State
02-22-2016, 07:36 PM
The last two MSU coaches that lost three Egg Bowls in a row were asked to step down.

Todd4State
02-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Personally, I don't use the OM game as a litmus test. It's always obviously a good thing to win that particular game. Nevertheless, it's not like the old old olden days when winning that game would make a season when all the other games were lost. I don't think Mullen's head hangs in the balance over this one game regardless.

We can not claim superiority in Mississippi and continue to lose the Egg Bowl. Even if we go 12-1.

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 07:44 PM
The last two MSU coaches that lost three Egg Bowls in a row were asked to step down.

Who where they and what were their overall records?

Bishop6
02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
My two cents... Mullen has brought our program back to a respectable program from the depths of hades. The fact of the matter is he could have bailed on MSU every single year he's been here and hasn't. Over this same time I've seen everyone in the west not named Bama struggle at some point even though having "better" recruiting than us. I am very happy to have Dan as our coach. Every year he's been here I have been excited about our team and I have been around long enough that that hasn't always been the case.
I like what we have returning and I especially like the fact that we have embraced redshirting our younger players and are not always looking/hoping for a secret weapon to magically appear. I like that we have broaden our coach selection from a bunch of Alabama rejects. I always hated that we have tried to be Alabama West! I want us to have our own identity and I think that's what he has been trying to do.
I for one am not going to write-off next season in February. Go Dawgs!

Coach34
02-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Losing 3 EB's in a row would really suck- but our season comes down to 4 games...

LSU, Bama- automatic losses and probably brutalized

4 OOC's- should be wins
SC and Kentucky- Should win but will be toughly contested

Thats 6-2

That leaves 4 games- @OM, and home to Auburn, A&M, and UPig...

OM has 9 starters returning but talented back-ups to fill in
A&M returns alot and got a transfer QB from Oklahoma
Auburn returns alot and added a great recruiting class. People get excited about us signing Simmons- Auburn signed 3 Simmons-type players
UPig returns 20/22 on their D 2 deep...like Fitz, their QB has been biding his time as the back-up...

Gonna be an interesting season- because we have no ****ing clue right now whats going to happen

RealHastings
02-22-2016, 08:34 PM
we have no ****ing clue right now whats going to happen

This.

It's always fun to speculate, hell I enjoy it myself. I am predicting our floor as 7 wins and ceiling at 9. But ultimately, this quote really sums it up. Really no one has a clue.

Political Hack
02-22-2016, 08:49 PM
This.

It's always fun to speculate, hell I enjoy it myself. I am predicting our floor as 7 wins and ceiling at 9. But ultimately, this quote really sums it up. Really no one has a clue.

Ark lost their best RB arguably last season, OM lost the best OL in the nation for half a season, Auburn completely flipped out of nowhere, Florida's defense took over a stretch of the season, Fournette faded as quickly as he flamed up, etc...

No one knows what's going to happen, but most people who follow closely enough can predict a reasonable W/L estimate. You say 7 - 9. I think that's reasonable. I say 7-8, which is close but I think LSU, Bama, and A&M might hand us our asses while we're in every other game. Egg is always a toss up but the home team should have the clear advantage. That's a ceiling of 8 right now likely.

bulldawg28
02-22-2016, 09:42 PM
We won 6 games with Relf in 2011...we also had an NFL OG and TB playing with him. We dont have either one of those for 2016. You had OM go 0-8 in the SEC that year too for an easy win. There are no easy West wins these days.

Lol...And this team doesn't have more NFL talent than 2 guys? Who is this great tailback your speaking of? Give it a break. We're not bringing in a green team with no experience. You can talk about every SEC team and what they're bringing back but the real truth is the dawgs are bringing back experience and talent as well

Todd4State
02-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Who where they and what were their overall records?

Emory Bellard 37-42

Rockey Felker 21-34

My point remains though- we have not had a coach including Croom lose three in a row and keep his job.

I do not want to be second place in Mississippi even if we are 8-4 every year.

Todd4State
02-22-2016, 10:59 PM
Lol...And this team doesn't have more NFL talent than 2 guys? Who is this great tailback your speaking of? Give it a break. We're not bringing in a green team with no experience. You can talk about every SEC team and what they're bringing back but the real truth is the dawgs are bringing back experience and talent as well

Vick Ballard?

Really Clark?
02-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Emory Bellard 37-42

Rockey Felker 21-34

My point remains though- we have not had a coach including Croom lose three in a row and keep his job.

And to carry it further the were both 1-4 in the last five meetings against UNM. I understand where you are coming from but the overall losses is what cost them not just the EB. Mullen won't be fired just for losing 3 straight, if he does, unless there is a total collapse for the entire season and he loses the team.

chef dixon
02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Returning players doesn't necessarily mean good news. Yea Arkansas returns everyone on a defense that couldn't stop anything whatsoever. Its kind of like how we keep returning some players in our secondary that just don't improve. It is true though that we don't really know what's going to happen. I'm really worried about our QB play on top of a weak running game.

fishwater99
02-23-2016, 12:09 AM
We will not beat them next year. Sorry. But..... No, State shouldn't fire him regardless of the win total.

With that said, State isn't going to have to fire him. He will take another job. He maybe re-energized but I believe he learned from last go around and won't pass on a Maryland type job next year. ESPECIALLY if OM gets a hand slap and he learns what he is up against in recruiting for the fore seeable future.

So he will take another job for less money?
Who the Hell will hire him after. 7-5 season next year?
We are stuck with him.

Coach34
02-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Returning players doesn't necessarily mean good news. Yea Arkansas returns everyone on a defense that couldn't stop anything whatsoever. Its kind of like how we keep returning some players in our secondary that just don't improve. It is true though that we don't really know what's going to happen. I'm really worried about our QB play on top of a weak running game.

no- but they were extremely young. UPig fell off on D in 2015 because of their losses from 2014 when they were a really good D. Now that they have recovered- one would expect them to be better in 2016.

Todd4State
02-23-2016, 12:48 AM
And to carry it further the were both 1-4 in the last five meetings against UNM. I understand where you are coming from but the overall losses is what cost them not just the EB. Mullen won't be fired just for losing 3 straight, if he does, unless there is a total collapse for the entire season and he loses the team.

I remember Felker resigning and not being able to beat Ole Miss was a BIG reason why he "resigned". Of course, if he beat Ole Miss more than once he would have had a 6-5 season which may have changed things at that time too.

At any rate I don't think coaches are usually fired for just one thing- even if it is losing to a rival. And if we went down that path with Dan, I don't think that would be the sole factor either- but I do think it would be a big part of it.

After last season and being realistic about what our team returns plus the schedule, he needs to beat Ole Miss this year to stay in my personal good graces. Of course my personal opinion amounts to a hill of beans but I would be willing to bet a lot of MSU fans feel the same way. Heck, I might even give him a pass if he at least looks like he gives a crap during the Egg Bowl even in a loss.

Todd4State
02-23-2016, 12:50 AM
So he will take another job for less money?
Who the Hell will hire him after. 7-5 season next year?
We are stuck with him.

The only way I think Dan would ever do that would be if we told him to leave and take whatever his agent finds. And honestly I bet Scott would play the re-assign Hevesy card first before it even came to that.

bulldawg28
02-23-2016, 03:27 AM
no- but they were extremely young. UPig fell off on D in 2015 because of their losses from 2014 when they were a really good D. Now that they have recovered- one would expect them to be better in 2016.

Dude you make no sense. Arkansas can be "really young" with no experience but they'll be better. We can be young, talented, with experience and yet we have no hope. Your agenda is baffling.

bulldawg28
02-23-2016, 03:28 AM
I remember Felker resigning and not being able to beat Ole Miss was a BIG reason why he "resigned". Of course, if he beat Ole Miss more than once he would have had a 6-5 season which may have changed things at that time too.

At any rate I don't think coaches are usually fired for just one thing- even if it is losing to a rival. And if we went down that path with Dan, I don't think that would be the sole factor either- but I do think it would be a big part of it.

After last season and being realistic about what our team returns plus the schedule, he needs to beat Ole Miss this year to stay in my personal good graces. Of course my personal opinion amounts to a hill of beans but I would be willing to bet a lot of MSU fans feel the same way. Heck, I might even give him a pass if he at least looks like he gives a crap during the Egg Bowl even in a loss.

You're comparing Rocky Felker to Dan Mullen? Wow

smootness
02-23-2016, 03:37 AM
Anyone expecting Arkansas to be better is insane. People thought they would take a step forward this year because they returned a bunch of people from a mediocre offense, but they all overlooked the fact that they lost a lot of their defense, which is what carried them. Well, this year they return a bunch from a defense that wasn't any good, but they lose most of their offense, which is what carried them last year. They won't be better and might be worse.

FISHDAWG
02-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Anyone expecting Arkansas to be better is insane. People thought they would take a step forward this year because they returned a bunch of people from a mediocre offense, but they all overlooked the fact that they lost a lot of their defense, which is what carried them. Well, this year they return a bunch from a defense that wasn't any good, but they lose most of their offense, which is what carried them last year. They won't be better and might be worse.

yep ... Toledo and Texas Tech just said AMEN

Coach34
02-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Dude you make no sense. Arkansas can be "really young" with no experience but they'll be better. We can be young, talented, with experience and yet we have no hope. Your agenda is baffling.

If you cant understand how a young defense from 2015 returns 9 starters and every single one of its back-ups will be improved in 2016 then I cant help ya.

We lost 5 starters on defense (6 technically with Jackson making 11 starts) and every one of them will be getting drafted. I simply dont believe our D will be better in 2016 than 2015 after losing 5 draft picks. I am of the opinion it wont be quite as good. I clearly stated why. Thats not an agenda- its called reasoning.

dawgs
02-23-2016, 11:21 AM
My two cents... Mullen has brought our program back to a respectable program from the depths of hades. The fact of the matter is he could have bailed on MSU every single year he's been here and hasn't. Over this same time I've seen everyone in the west not named Bama struggle at some point even though having "better" recruiting than us. I am very happy to have Dan as our coach. Every year he's been here I have been excited about our team and I have been around long enough that that hasn't always been the case.
I like what we have returning and I especially like the fact that we have embraced redshirting our younger players and are not always looking/hoping for a secret weapon to magically appear. I like that we have broaden our coach selection from a bunch of Alabama rejects. I always hated that we have tried to be Alabama West! I want us to have our own identity and I think that's what he has been trying to do.
I for one am not going to write-off next season in February. Go Dawgs!

Mullen could've bailed if he was willing to take the Arkansas st job, but he didn't get the Miami, uga, Maryland, penn st, and whatever other P5 jobs he's been linked to because he didn't want them, he didn't get them because they chose someone else. If he didn't want those jobs, his name wouldn't be floated as a serious candidate every time one opens up. You don't hear shaw or briles or freeze mentioned very often as serious candidates for bigger/richer programs (or even lateral P5 moves), because they tell their agents to hang up the damn phone.

maroonmania
02-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Mullen could've bailed if he was willing to take the Arkansas st job, but he didn't get the Miami, uga, Maryland, penn st, and whatever other P5 jobs he's been linked to because he didn't want them, he didn't get them because they chose someone else. If he didn't want those jobs, his name wouldn't be floated as a serious candidate every time one opens up. You don't hear shaw or briles or freeze mentioned very often as serious candidates for bigger/richer programs (or even lateral P5 moves), because they tell their agents to hang up the damn phone.

Yea, hard to believe he wouldn't take the Ark St job.***************

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 12:07 PM

What? There were like half a dozen NFL team jobs rumors linked to Shaw at one point or another just this year. Briles had heavy talks with Texas before they decided on Strong and Briles "shot down" the rumors he was leaving. Florida couldn't come up with enough pine logs for Freeze.

dawgs
02-23-2016, 12:31 PM
What? There were like half a dozen NFL team jobs rumors linked to Shaw at one point or another just this year. Briles had heavy talks with Texas before they decided on Strong and Briles "shot down" the rumors he was leaving. Florida couldn't come up with enough pine logs for Freeze.

Their names get tossed around initially, but I can't remember any of them actually being a guy the public considered to be a real possibility when the hiring time came except maybe briles/Texas, but I'd say "I am a Baylor bear" is a stronger denial of rumors than whatever the hell vague bullshit Dan says when asked about it. Even if you count Texas against briles, that's literally a top 5 job in the country, he's not rumored for every new age booster driven search (Maryland), every has been (Miami), every underachieving program that should be winning titles (uga), or every has been coming off a nuke job in the PR department and by the ncaa (Penn st). In all his years putting up results at Baylor, briles has been a serious candidate for 1 truly elite opening. If Dan has been a Texas candidate and that was it, he wouldn't be self-sabotaging his own recruiting efforts and pissing off the fanbase.

Really Clark?
02-23-2016, 12:35 PM
They're names get tossed around initially, but I can't remember any of them actually being a guy the public considered to be a real possibility when the hiring time came except maybe briles/Texas, but I'd say "I am a Baylor bear" is a stronger denial of rumors than whatever the hell vague bullshit Dan says when asked about it. Even if you count Texas against briles, that's literally a top 5 job in the country, he's not rumored for every new age booster driven search (Maryland), every has been (Miami), every underachieving program that should be winning titles (uga), or every has been coming off a nuke job in the PR department and by the ncaa (Penn st). In all his years putting up results at Baylor, briles has been a serious candidate for 1 truly elite opening. If Dan has been a Texas candidate and that was it, he wouldn't be self-sabotaging his own recruiting efforts and pissing off the fanbase.

Yeah but Briles didn't come out and say that until Texas let him know he wasn't getting the job. That was 48 hours before Strong was officially announced. Real easy to make a definite statement when you were no longer a candidate.

GTHOM
02-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Emory Bellard 37-42

Rockey Felker 21-34

We have a winner here

dawgs
02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah but Briles didn't come out and say that until Texas let him know he wasn't getting the job. That was 48 hours before Strong was officially announced. Real easy to make a definite statement when you were no longer a candidate.

If the only job Mullen had been a serious candidate for in the last 7 years was uga, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But no, Mullen is chasing after every P5 job with a pulse. Sorry, but it's true. That's why it's killing us on the recruiting trail.

"Son, have you ever heard of Maryland being worth a damn in football?"

"No sir, I'm too young to remember the 1 or 2 good seasons under Ralph friedgen"

"Exactly and Starkville and msu sucks so bad that Mullen is desperately chasing after that job right now, that should tell you how much he believes in his program down there. Do you honestly think he'll be around in a few years if he's chasing 3 tier P5 gigs like Maryland as if they are elite jobs today?"

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 12:26 PM
If the only job Mullen had been a serious candidate for in the last 7 years was uga, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But no, Mullen is chasing after every P5 job with a pulse. Sorry, but it's true. That's why it's killing us on the recruiting trail.

"No sir, I'm too young to remember the 1 or 2 good seasons under Ralph friedgen"

"Exactly and Starkville and msu sucks so bad that Mullen is desperately chasing after that job right now, that should tell you how much he believes in his program down there. Do you honestly think he'll be around in a few years if he's chasing 3 tier P5 gigs like Maryland as if they are elite jobs today?"

Get out of here with Maryland. He didn't pursue that at all. That's a bogus claim. Heck a bunch of "insiders" never even heard of any contact from them. Just a message board post. And it's pretty ironic that the only ones pushing he pursued Maryland or there was definitely something there are the same ones who are wanting him gone. And I'm sure those posts are not printed off to show recruits to help the agenda. I know that didn't happen did it? You want to talk Miami, that was the ONLY legitimate interview. At best Georgia was a call from the AD but Smart and Herman were the 2 names that where getting that job.

Colorado was a false claim years ago, VT, Rutgers, VA this year were false claims. The only 3 you can make a definite case he pursued is Penn State and Miami.

Dawgtini
02-24-2016, 12:28 PM

You left off this part:
"and son, you know I will tell you exactly what you want to hear so that your soul will be safe with me. Even if Mullen doesn't leave, you know what I have told you is true. Just read the Spirit or some of those posters with "dawg" in their name on ED. You'll see, you'll see. Oh, and you know Mullen is a damnable YANKEE!!11!! too, right?"

bulldawg28
02-24-2016, 05:11 PM
If you cant understand how a young defense from 2015 returns 9 starters and every single one of its back-ups will be improved in 2016 then I cant help ya.

We lost 5 starters on defense (6 technically with Jackson making 11 starts) and every one of them will be getting drafted. I simply dont believe our D will be better in 2016 than 2015 after losing 5 draft picks. I am of the opinion it wont be quite as good. I clearly stated why. Thats not an agenda- its called reasoning.

SO now your hyping our defense? Every single person that left last year has someone with playing experience replacing them. If by chance the new starters don't have playing experience means they beat out a veteran which puts better talent on the field.

Political Hack
02-24-2016, 05:28 PM
SO now your hyping our defense? Every single person that left last year has someone with playing experience replacing them. If by chance the new starters don't have playing experience means they beat out a veteran which puts better talent on the field.

I think we're going to be younger and more talented with new coaches and schemes and actually might surprise a few folks. I don't see how our defense can be worse. We had great personnel and used it pretty horrendously.

bulldawg28
02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
I think we're going to be younger and more talented with new coaches and schemes and actually might surprise a few folks. I don't see how our defense can be worse. We had great personnel and used it pretty horrendously.

Indeed

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 07:02 PM
You're comparing Rocky Felker to Dan Mullen? Wow

I'm comparing their Egg Bowl records the last five years of their careers. It would be identical if Dan loses this year.

dawgs
02-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Get out of here with Maryland. He didn't pursue that at all. That's a bogus claim. Heck a bunch of "insiders" never even heard of any contact from them. Just a message board post. And it's pretty ironic that the only ones pushing he pursued Maryland or there was definitely something there are the same ones who are wanting him gone. And I'm sure those posts are not printed off to show recruits to help the agenda. I know that didn't happen did it? You want to talk Miami, that was the ONLY legitimate interview. At best Georgia was a call from the AD but Smart and Herman were the 2 names that where getting that job.

Colorado was a false claim years ago, VT, Rutgers, VA this year were false claims. The only 3 you can make a definite case he pursued is Penn State and Miami.

His name would stop popping up as a legitimate candidate if he wanted it to. And his "I'm the coach and Mississippi state and don't talk about rumors" responses to questions about his candidacy got old 4 years ago. I know words are non-binding ("I'm only leaving Oxford if it's in a pine box"), but at least fake like you aren't even entertaining the thought of leaving, not this evasive bullcrap.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 08:39 PM
His name would stop popping up as a legitimate candidate if he wanted it to. And his "I'm the coach and Mississippi state and don't talk about rumors" responses to questions about his candidacy got old 4 years ago. I know words are non-binding ("I'm only leaving Oxford if it's in a pine box"), but at least fake like you aren't even entertaining the thought of leaving, not this evasive bullcrap.

I don't agree and other coaches give the same speak as well. I thought this was a pretty good article about it.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/12/2/9834528/dan-mullen-miami-hurricanes-head-coach-interviews-mississippi-state-bulldogs-mark-richt

And he can't stop other schools making candidate lists that he is not involved in those jobs. And that has been circulated a lot with him falsely. Footballscoop is not our friend but are real good about being a "source" to a lot of reporters and team site pages. I believe they were the first to throw out the VT and VA jobs as him being a candidate.

Leroy Jenkins
02-24-2016, 08:40 PM
This thread makes my penis soft.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 08:42 PM
This thread makes my pens soft.

Have you tried the old cheap Bic pen? They are hard.***

Leroy Jenkins
02-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Have you tried the old cheap Bic pen? They are hard.***

Nice

dawgs
02-24-2016, 09:15 PM
I don't agree and other coaches give the same speak as well. I thought this was a pretty good article about it.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/12/2/9834528/dan-mullen-miami-hurricanes-head-coach-interviews-mississippi-state-bulldogs-mark-richt

And he can't stop other schools making candidate lists that he is not involved in those jobs. And that has been circulated a lot with him falsely. Footballscoop is not our friend but are real good about being a "source" to a lot of reporters and team site pages. I believe they were the first to throw out the VT and VA jobs as him being a candidate.

Right, they just are always looking to hurt Mississippi state. Come on, we are pretty insignificant in the national scope of things, there's no reason for national reporters to try to tear us down unnecessarily. They are reporting either facts or rumors that they have very good reason to be true.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Mullen talked to Maryland, Miami, and Georgia. Anybody that doesn't believe that is very gullible or just stupid

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Right, they just are always looking to hurt Mississippi state. Come on, we are pretty insignificant in the national scope of things, there's no reason for national reporters to try to tear us down unnecessarily. They are reporting either facts or rumors that they have very good reason to be true.

Dude. You can ask the ones who believe exactly like you do what Footballscoop is about and have reported and given erroneous info as a "source" for years. That's just not me saying that. It's ran by a UNM grad. Coach34 and I don't agree on this topic as a whole but he will tell you Footballscoop most definitely has given out false info on our guys, including Mullen, in the past. Did this year as well.

DancingRabbit
02-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Mullen talked to Maryland, Miami, and Georgia. Anybody that doesn't believe that is very gullible or just stupid

Then I suspect you have a lot of stupid or gullible members of your board. Including me.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 10:03 PM

He interviewed with Miami. The AD at Georgia called but he was down the list and was told that. Smart and Herman were 1, 2. He did not pursue Maryland and at best a few sources said they reached out to him. Several say there were no conversations. And since Miami was already open and he was having conversations at the end of the season with them Maryland wasn't even realistically in play even with the timeline. I know you are confident with your sources but so are other people. And I was pretty spot on with the Miami stuff I posted even the day of the hire. Richt was 1 and Mullen and Schiano were 2. Butch was backup plan or thy were going to interview some more. I thought they may go Schiano but it would have been Mullen if Richt hadn't changed his mind. For a few hours that day it appears that you would have gotten your wish.

Don't call someone who has info differing from you stupid or gullible. Especially when they haven't hide that at any point. You want say it's a differing of info that fine and I will go along with that. I have said I don't always have the best on a lot of stuff. But will stand behind it either way. And to this day the Maryland info has not changed and it was from the same sources that gave me heads up about Miami.

bulldawg28
02-24-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm comparing their Egg Bowl records the last five years of their careers. It would be identical if Dan loses this year.

Rocky couldn't hold Dans jock strap

Todd4State
02-24-2016, 10:15 PM
Rocky couldn't hold Dans jock strap

And your still missing my point. Nowhere did I say that Dan was as bad as Felker. I did say that the past five years his record would be the same as Felker's Egg Bowl record if he loses in 2016.

It's not hard.

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Then I suspect you have a lot of stupid or gullible members of your board. Including me.

yep

**edited to add**- mostly gullible

Coach34
02-24-2016, 10:35 PM
He interviewed with Miami. The AD at Georgia called but he was down the list and was told that. Smart and Herman were 1, 2. He did not pursue Maryland and at best a few sources said they reached out to him. Several say there were no conversations. And since Miami was already open and he was having conversations at the end of the season with them Maryland wasn't even realistically in play even with the timeline. I know you are confident with your sources but so are other people. And I was pretty spot on with the Miami stuff I posted even the day of the hire. Richt was 1 and Mullen and Schiano were 2. Butch was backup plan or thy were going to interview some more. I thought they may go Schiano but it would have been Mullen if Richt hadn't changed his mind. For a few hours that day it appears that you would have gotten your wish.

Don't call someone who has info differing from you stupid or gullible. Especially when they haven't hide that at any point. You want say it's a differing of info that fine and I will go along with that. I have said I don't always have the best on a lot of stuff. But will stand behind it either way. And to this day the Maryland info has not changed and it was from the same sources that gave me heads up about Miami.

Mullen was #1 for Miami until Richt got fired
He had talks with Maryland
He had multiple talks with the Georgia AD about the job and the AD just couldn't swing hiring him. The Georgia brass wanted Smart.

He talked to 3 different schools about their coaching openings- and had his buyout not been so big- we may have parted ways. This is the very reason his Foundation contract wasn't extended after winning 9 games. Now you can believe it or not- that's up to you. But this comes from the Bryan Building

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Mullen was #1 for Miami until Richt got fired
He had talks with Maryland
He had multiple talks with the Georgia AD about the job and the AD just couldn't swing hiring him. The Georgia brass wanted Smart.

He talked to 3 different schools about their coaching openings- and had his buyout not been so big- we may have parted ways. This is the very reason his Foundation contract wasn't extended after winning 9 games. Now you can believe it or not- that's up to you. But this comes from the Bryan Building

And the majority of that I stated with what I posted in some form. If you had read it all. But he did not pursue Maryland and at best they may have contacted him but he did not interview or pursue that job. And that comes from the same sources that is giving nearly the same info about Georgia and Miami that you just did. And also from 2 third party's that has no link to us and no reason to lie. And they both give similar info about Georgia and Miami you just did. Somebody may have put out some sort of smoke screen about Maryland but I suspect it has a lot more to do with the agenda. Because this has been played up after the fact. Unlike Georgia and Miami who were discussed during that present timeline. And info was coming in at that time. Maryland was not. VT was not. VA was not.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Mullen has made us look foolish against the Bears. I'll not have Freeze keep lookin like Saban when he's in our house! They own us right now and it's just no fair. Mullen had Dak and wasted him!

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Mullen has made us look foolish against the Bears. I'll not have Freeze keep lookin like Saban when he's in our house! They own us right now and it's just no fair. Mullen had Dak and wasted him!

Now is really not the time. Enforcer

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 10:53 PM
Now is really not the time. Enforcer

Why come at me for tellin the truth? #1 team and then we get stomped by Bo Freakin Wallace! Then Dak's final game at home and we get stomped! Lets put up a fight against them with whoever will do it...certainly doesnt look like its DAN

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Why come at me for tellin the truth? #1 team and then we get stomped by Bo Freakin Wallace! Then Dak's final game at home and we get stomped! Lets put up a fight against them with whoever will do it...certainly doesnt look like its DAN

Don't forget to click an ad.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Don't forget to click an ad.

Sorry for wanting a winner

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:00 PM

The highest winning percentage we have had for nearly 70 years.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:01 PM
The highest winning percentage we have had for nearly 70 years.

There's one game a year! And we dont win it lately. It's about the Egg. AND THEY HAVE IT!

Coach34
02-24-2016, 11:02 PM

its more about us getting hammered by upper level football teams- not OM per se. It just so happens they have been pretty damn good the last 2 years. Just like us- they will take a step back in 2016. Only problem is we wasted our game at home and now have to go to Grenada without the Lake next year

Coach34
02-24-2016, 11:03 PM
There's one game a year! And we dont win it lately. It's about the Egg. AND THEY HAVE IT!

ok- now you are almost in Troll Town. 1 more chance

Nobody thinks there is 1 game a year

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Sorry I'm fired up. I want to win that game and that's what it comes down to. I want a coach who puts a premium on it.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:06 PM

Trolling trolling trolling. And no. Only UNM douches come on here thinking we believe it's only about the EB.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Trolling trolling trolling. And no. Only UNM douches come on here thinking we believe it's only about the EB.

I'm sorry I'm not the best at message boards and that I'm new to this but I thought we could come and talk about what we wanted here. I gave my reasons why I wanted to see changes. People are getting mad because I like winning egg bowls

Coach34
02-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Well, while that game is very important - there is more than 1 game per year that matters.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry I'm not the best at message boards and that I'm new to this but I thought we could come and talk about what we wanted here. I gave my reasons why I wanted to see changes. People are getting mad because I like winning egg bowls

Ok. What specifically should be changed? Besides the arbitrary win the game and put a premium on it. And as coach said, the vast majority in here are not going be focused on just one game. It's about consistant play against the top opponents.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Ok. What specifically should be changed? Besides the arbitrary win the game and put a premium on it. And as coach said, the vast majority in here are not going be focused on just one game. It's about consistant play against the top opponents.

For one thing I'd like to see a more active recruiter! Instead on just crossing fingers and hoping, I want someone who takes the time to lock down the hometown kids and cast a wide net.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:25 PM
For one thing I'd like to see a more active recruiter! Instead on just crossing fingers and hoping, I want someone who takes the time to lock down the hometown kids and cast a wide net.

I meant specifics to win the EB. That is your only concern you were talking about earlier. It appears that is being addressed. As it should and continue to be looked at.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:27 PM
I meant specifics to win the EB. That is your only concern you were talking about earlier. It appears that is being addressed. As it should and continue to be looked at.

Well I cant say I know how to win an EB or else maybe I would be a coach- but motivating the guys, keeping them focused, not overlooking the games at the end of the season. I'm not the man with the answers but I dont know if Dan is either.

DancingRabbit
02-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Well, while that game is very important - there is more than 1 game per year that matters.

I think you're being gullible.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:34 PM
Well I cant say I know how to win an EB or else maybe I would be a coach- but motivating the guys, keeping them focused, not overlooking the games at the end of the season. I'm not the man with the answers but I dont know if Dan is either.

Well he had the right answer for 19 of the last 26 games. And again like has been mentioned before, it's about trying to get over the hump beating ranked teams. Which are the games we have lost at end of both the past 2 years.

bigdawg2828
02-24-2016, 11:36 PM
Well he had the right answer for 19 of the last 26 games. And again like has been mentioned before, it's about trying to get over the hump beating ranked teams. Which are the games we have lost at end of both the past 2 years.

You're right Clark. Everything's perfect.

Really Clark?
02-24-2016, 11:44 PM

Yeah. I didn't say that at all. Reading comprehension.

Dawgtini
02-25-2016, 08:21 AM
So let me get this straight. You just said you have no idea how to accomplish your stated one goal, so instead you will just whine and patronize other posters who actual have an idea of how to accomplish their stated goals. Sounds like "wahhh, you suck! It's my dolly and I am taking home!"

bulldawg28
02-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Do I have a secret admirer?

Dawgtini
02-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Or an evil twin? Nega-28?

Really Clark?
02-25-2016, 09:15 AM

I Was wondering if it was your little 12 year old brother. Ha

dawgday166
02-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Not sure why y'all think he's a troll ... I agree with what he's saying about Freeze owning Mullen. It's pissed me off how apathetic we came out to play OM last 2 years. We should of destroyed an injury plagued OM team in 14, and I thought we should have won this year too. Certainly should have in 2012 also. I hate to say it, but Freeze is more creative in O play calling as a whole than Mullen IMO. But just beating OM is not all of the equation either.

As for the last 2 years winning 19 games, 8 of those came against OOC teams that remind me of Stansbury's scheduling. Of course after 2005 he would always lose that 1 OOC game to a >150 RPI team and kill his at-large tourney chances.

4 more of the 19 games came against the weakest teams in the SEC East. Then throw in a weak bowl opponent this past year as a win. Throw in another win against a horrible Auburn team this past year and you're looking at 5 fairly decent wins against somewhat above mediocre opponents.

No one can argue Dan't record against AP ranked opponents ain't very good.

bulldawg28
02-25-2016, 10:54 AM
I Was wondering if it was your little 12 year old brother. Ha

Lol.. I'd whup his ass if he were my brother.

bulldawg28
02-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Not sure why y'all think he's a troll ... I agree with what he's saying about Freeze owning Mullen. It's pissed me off how apathetic we came out to play OM last 2 years. We should of destroyed an injury plagued OM team in 14, and I thought we should have won this year too. Certainly should have in 2012 also. I hate to say it, but Freeze is more creative in O play calling as a whole than Mullen IMO. But just beating OM is not all of the equation either.

As for the last 2 years winning 19 games, 8 of those came against OOC teams that remind me of Stansbury's scheduling. Of course after 2005 he would always lose that 1 OOC game to a >150 RPI team and kill his at-large tourney chances.

4 more of the 19 games came against the weakest teams in the SEC East. Then throw in a weak bowl opponent this past year as a win. Throw in another win against a horrible Auburn team this past year and you're looking at 5 fairly decent wins against somewhat above mediocre opponents.

No one can argue Dan't record against AP ranked opponents ain't very good.

Trolls Trolls everywhere

dawgday166
02-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Maybe I don't understand what a troll is then. I thought it was an OM fan posing as a MSU fan. Or is it someone who points out true facts that others would rather not acknowledge?

Really Clark?
02-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Maybe I don't understand what a troll is then. I thought it was an OM fan posing as a MSU fan. Or is it someone who points out true facts that others would rather not acknowledge?

A troll doesn't have to be a rival fan. You have some of your own fans who troll just to inflame a board. It was some of his rhetoric, especially his firsts posts that were traveling in troll land. Even Coach34 warned him.

Also, using selective facts doesn't make it true facts. What you posted about his numbers are true. What you are not posting however is the fact that the numbers show a true incline of the win totals over his career. It also doesn't take in the fact that against our history, which is very relevant, the numbers are very good. Any coach who is winning at a .150 clip above that's schools historic average is doing a very good job. When you look at history from traditionally bottom feeding Power 5 schools, his winning percentage above the history is some of the best during the same stretch. You probably can't find 3-4 in history that have done much better. That has nothing to do with wanting to continue a steady rise. But a steady rise will never and has never been a straight line.

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2016, 11:39 AM

You are also looking for every opportunity to denigrate our wins. Everyone plays a mostly weak OOC schedule. You don't hear Bama fans saying "Saban gets most his wins off OOC - look we played UL-Monroe, MTSU, and Charleston Southern, he shouldn't get credit for winning the games we are supposed to. And AU sucks, and we should beat them every year regardless." You sure as hell don't see The Cult Up North downplaying their wins - which included New Mexico State, UT-Martin, Fresno State, Vandy, a "horrible" AU, and a weak OSU in a bowl game. No, they preach 10-3, Sugar Bowl, ya ya.

dawgday166
02-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Ok ... have to keep that in mind. I'm not trying to denigrate our wins ... but beating top 25 teams is pretty important to me too, especially when we have the personnel to do it. I'm all for seeing some how it progresses over next 2 or 3 years. I think the goal should be ... as Mullen stated when he came here .. is to compete for championships. If you lose only to Bama every year you're doing that. And I honestly don't expect Dan to ever beat Saban. Don't like that but no one else beats him very often so it is what it is.

mparkerfd20
02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
With all the negativity of this board lately it's getting harder and harder to distinguish trolls and OM fans from just plain Ole dumbasses.

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Ok ... have to keep that in mind. I'm not trying to denigrate our wins ... but beating top 25 teams is pretty important to me too, especially when we have the personnel to do it. I'm all for seeing some how it progresses over next 2 or 3 years. I think the goal should be ... as Mullen stated when he came here .. is to compete for championships. If you lose only to Bama every year you're doing that. And I honestly don't expect Dan to ever beat Saban. Don't like that but no one else beats him very often so it is what it is.

And beating Top 25 is important - as it should be to everyone. However, we need to keep a couple of things in mind. First, historically, we are terrible against Top 25 teams. It's not an excuse for not being better, but it also means it is something that shouldn't surprise anyone about our program regardless of where we are ranked. Second, over the past 10 years being in the SEC West has greatly skewed our record due to the shear number of how many Top 25 teams we play year in, year out. Big10 schools are lucky to play 3 a year. Big 12 get 3-4. Most years we have at least 4 on our schedule - some years as many as 6 - (at least ranking at the time we play them, not necessarily end of year). Odds are stacked against you playing that many ranked teams.

People have started discounting the LSU/A&M/AU run in 2014 as something not as good - when at the time we played them everyone felt they were one of the top teams in the country. You can easily make the argument that we ruined their seasons and sent them into the tank because none of them recovered from their beat downs. Did we finish it? No. And that is disappointing. 2015 didn't play out the way we hoped. But, in the end, we were one game a away from a 2nd straight NY6 game and weren't eliminated from the SECW until late November for the 2nd year in a row. How often could we say that? But, we have to quit using that to tarnish how far we have come as a program as use it a fuel to get us over the hump.

DancingRabbit
02-25-2016, 01:46 PM
And beating Top 25 is important - as it should be to everyone. However, we need to keep a couple of things in mind. First, historically, we are terrible against Top 25 teams. It's not an excuse for not being better, but it also means it is something that shouldn't surprise anyone about our program regardless of where we are ranked. Second, over the past 10 years being in the SEC West has greatly skewed our record due to the shear number of how many Top 25 teams we play year in, year out. Big10 schools are lucky to play 3 a year. Big 12 get 3-4. Most years we have at least 4 on our schedule - some years as many as 6 - (at least ranking at the time we play them, not necessarily end of year). Odds are stacked against you playing that many ranked teams.

People have started discounting the LSU/A&M/AU run in 2014 as something not as good - when at the time we played them everyone felt they were one of the top teams in the country. You can easily make the argument that we ruined their seasons and sent them into the tank because none of them recovered from their beat downs. Did we finish it? No. And that is disappointing. 2015 didn't play out the way we hoped. But, in the end, we were one game a away from a 2nd straight NY6 game and weren't eliminated from the SECW until late November for the 2nd year in a row. How often could we say that? But, we have to quit using that to tarnish how far we have come as a program as use it a fuel to get us over the hump.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone did an analysis that showed a large percentage of our Top 25 matches were actually against Top 10 teams. The SECW is not for sissies.

Dawgtini
02-25-2016, 01:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone did an analysis that showed a large percentage of our Top 25 matches were actually against Top 10 teams. The SECW is not for sissies.

You and Brunswick make excellent points....again. The SEC West is TOUGH and has produced the NC winner or contender every year Mullen has been here.

GTHOM
02-25-2016, 10:52 PM

The only consistency Mullen has had against top opponents is the bad kind. We beat 3 good teams in a row in 2014, after that stretch we have not seen the same fire and intensity in any part of our program. I dont see how anyone who is not a full out Mullenite can argue against this. Not saying you are Mullenite im just making a point

Really Clark?
02-25-2016, 10:58 PM
The only consistency Mullen has had against top opponents is the bad kind. We beat 3 good teams in a row in 2014, after that stretch we have not seen the same fire and intensity in any part of our program. I dont see how anyone who is not a full out Mullenite can argue against this. Not saying you are Mullenite im just making a point

That's out of context of what I was talking about with that poster. He was only concerned about beating UNM. While it's an important game, I think most of us are more concerned about all the tough games, not just the EB. I wasn't saying he was consistantly in those games. It's actually a pretty odd deal to be so consistant against the teams you are so suppose to beat and not pulling the upsets on the other end. Most coaches, who have had similar success, might slip up from time to time but have the upset to offset it.

GTHOM
02-25-2016, 11:05 PM
That's out of context of what I was talking about with that poster. He was only concerned about beating UNM. While it's an important game, I think most of us are more concerned about all the tough games, not just the EB. I wasn't saying he was consistantly in those games. It's actually a pretty odd deal to be so consistant against the teams you are so suppose to beat and not pulling the upsets on the other end. Most coaches, who have had similar success, might slip up from time to time but have the upset to offset it.

Oh. Regardless of context I just dont see how anyone can argue that we have not been the same program since the Auburn game in 2014. When we won and everybody in the stands was chanting ''We're #1'' I figured it would come back to bite us in the ass. Just didnt think it would last all the way through the next season. I realize becoming number 1 was a cool deal and all but I feel like our intensity dropped because of it.

Really Clark?
02-25-2016, 11:25 PM
Oh. Regardless of context I just dont see how anyone can argue that we have not been the same program since the Auburn game in 2014. When we won and everybody in the stands was chanting ''We're #1'' I figured it would come back to bite us in the ass. Just didnt think it would last all the way through the next season. I realize becoming number 1 was a cool deal and all but I feel like our intensity dropped because of it.

Where did I make that argument in those posts? You are going on a tangent that has nothing to do with what I was pointing out to that poster. Not being argumentative just trying to clarify for you. Maybe we are lost in translation.

BrunswickDawg
02-26-2016, 07:47 AM
I don't disagree with the fact that we lost something since then, but I don't think it has anything to do with "getting soft" because we were #1. I think it was multi-faceted. Dak was definitely banged up by the end of KY if not before. #1 put a target on our back and teams gear up for that. With that target, came people adjusting to what Dan was calling and Dan didn't adjust to the adjustments - something Dan can legitly be criticized for.

This year, I think Dan over adjusted because 1) he knew our OL sucked; 2) we were not prepared for Robinson leaving; 3) Dan was trying to prove Dak was an NFL QB and altered our O getting the team and coaching out of what we do well (just like with Russell).
It didn't work out as well as we would like. It's why OL recruiting has to improve - another legit complaint.

Dawgtini
02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't disagree with the fact that we lost something since then, but I don't think it has anything to do with "getting soft" because we were #1. I think it was multi-faceted. Dak was definitely banged up by the end of KY if not before. #1 put a target on our back and teams gear up for that. With that target, came people adjusting to what Dan was calling and Dan didn't adjust to the adjustments - something Dan can legitly be criticized for.

This year, I think Dan over adjusted because 1) he knew our OL sucked; 2) we were not prepared for Robinson leaving; 3) Dan was trying to prove Dak was an NFL QB and altered our O getting the team and coaching out of what we do well (just like with Russell).
It didn't work out as well as we would like. It's why OL recruiting has to improve - another legit complaint.

I agree with a lot of this, but I think our offense did well, we just were out of synch with what we typically do best. Maybe what we did this past season was what we could do best. We lost 4 games last year. We lost LSU with a missed field goal. I think the real reason was because we waited about a half a quarter to change our game plan for attaching them. At ATM we looked the worst. We fumbled and dropped out way to defeat. With Bama we were just over matched. I think Dan should have been more willing to change his play calls to score and not run the same ole plays every time we were near the goal line. We moved the ball well and for the team and number of plays the D held well but had 2-3 breakdowns that killed us. Against OMU I think Dak and others were pressing too hard early and OMU to advantage. We still had our chances but again just didn't seem willing to scrap enough of the game plan and go all out to win. Dan can do that - see Ark this year. I don't think we lost anything after being #1 other than some key leaders for the past season and a lot of guys dinged up at the end of 2014. The fact that we had #1 by our name made overcoming that even tougher. In no way do I think we got "soft". We lost some key leadership before and during the season and we played a more finess pass heavy style than usual.