PDA

View Full Version : Can the NCAA place scholly limitations on a class that's already signed and in house?

Indndawg
02-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Say the NCAA saw the OM signing class of 16 as being just as egregious as 13, could the NCAA force them to give up say...10 schollies and not count towards future limitations?

PassInterference
02-22-2016, 12:07 PM
I'd rather frame it this way..

Ole Miss knew it was under investigation. It new the 2013 class was being looked at, yet they pulled the same shit in 2016. Sort of like a school kid getting in trouble again while on his way to the principal's office.

They're going to get hit even harder for that.

But I think there is no precedent for the NCAA pulling a guy's scholarship. They could suspend people, but that's it. Scholarship reductions will count against future classes.

Bully13
02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm waiting for some of their 2016 class to either transfer of lose 2 yrs eligibility , in all seriousness, if are caught cheating with this 2016 class, I can't see anything but hammer time all things considered.

Johnson85
02-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Say the NCAA saw the OM signing class of 16 as being just as egregious as 13, could the NCAA force them to give up say...10 schollies and not count towards future limitations?

Don't think there's any way they're going to force UM to drop players currently on scholarship. That would be a PR nightmare. If they were going to do anything to try to accelerate when UM feels the pain from sanctions, they would just allow players to transfer without sitting out, which I think they have done to other programs before?

BeastMan
02-22-2016, 01:19 PM
NCAA limiting schollies doesn't necessarily limit how many you sign. If you have 15 over 3 you have 5 schollies a year to limit the overall 85. Technically you could sign 25 if you cut older guys. Obviously the smartest path is processing older marginal guys and signing less to reach the scholly numbers limitations.

maroonmania
02-22-2016, 01:31 PM
If they find issues with guys coming in this year you would think there would at least be some loss of eligibility on some if nothing else. Heck, we had Redmond losing nearly 2 years off some clothing and a car discount so...

Reason2succeed
02-22-2016, 05:46 PM
NCAA limiting schollies doesn't necessarily limit how many you sign. If you have 15 over 3 you have 5 schollies a year to limit the overall 85. Technically you could sign 25 if you cut older guys. Obviously the smartest path is processing older marginal guys and signing less to reach the scholly numbers limitations.

Crap!!! I had never considered that schools would/could "cut" older players when they have scholarship reductions. Once again this is another way that players pay for the sins of the real lawbreakers, the school.

There needs to be a way to make athletic programs and boosters pay for violations that do not harm innocent players directly. I think open transfers would do the trick.