PDA

View Full Version : Spring Roster is up....

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 10:38 AM
No Gus Walley. Dez Harris is listed. 65 total scholarship players. 18 signees, leaves us 2 under the limit at a minimum.

20 scholarship seniors. Only 9 scholarship Juniors, WTF. And that's including Dez Harris who is iffy, Damien Williams who is a QB, and Logan Cook who is a punter. So potentially only 6 real position players. Class balance is going to be way off.

Westdawg
02-22-2016, 10:53 AM
i have a feeling there were spots left open for a reason.....dont know WHY/WHAT that might be........

Westdawg
02-22-2016, 10:54 AM
with Gus, you gotta feel for the guy. He played really well, just had a couple concussions and you can't fault him for having to step away.

HoopsDawg
02-22-2016, 11:16 AM
with Gus, you gotta feel for the guy. He played really well, just had a couple concussions and you can't fault him for having to step away.

Yep, he had the knee injury then took some big hits this past season.

maroonmania
02-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Yep, and he took some real cheap shots this past season. A couple that didn't even get called and he got at least one concussion from that. Apparently targeting of the head didn't count as a penalty if you were hitting Gus.

engie
02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
That roster needs work, as usual for our official site. It's embarrassing how much/often they get it wrong. Still listing Taveze, not including the 3 Fr and 2 Jrs already there and going through spring practice, etc...

I count 19 seniors, 9 JRs, 18 Sophs, 17 Fr... 63 true(signed) scholly players. Graves and Ward neither are IMO -- even if we granted them to them in the past(and probably will going forward) due to our undersigning.

Like I've posted before -- we are going to be about 10 short before this is said and done and we are kicking off the regular season -- with a huge senior class. And the lack of balance is exacerbated if we don't undersign in the 2017 class to provide wiggle room to sign guys for the 2018 class. It's essentially self-imposed probation. We should have signed 4-5 more JUCOs this year(putting us at 87-88 overall at this point) which would have given us 16-17 JRs(incl the 3 we did sign) and basically fixed a balance issue that we actually made worse.

mic
02-22-2016, 12:06 PM
That roster needs work, as usual for our official site. It's embarrassing how much/often they get it wrong. Still listing Taveze, not including the 3 Fr and 2 Jrs already there and going through spring practice, etc...

I count 19 seniors, 9 JRs, 18 Sophs, 17 Fr... 63 true(signed) scholly players. Graves and Ward neither are IMO -- even if we granted them to them in the past(and probably will going forward) due to our undersigning.

Like I've posted before -- we are going to be about 10 short before this is said and done and we are kicking off the regular season -- with a huge senior class. And the lack of balance is exacerbated if we don't undersign in the 2017 class to provide wiggle room to sign guys for the 2018 class. It's essentially self-imposed probation. We should have signed 4-5 more JUCOs this year(putting us at 87-88 overall at this point) which would have given us 16-17 JRs(incl the 3 we did sign) and basically fixed a balance issue that we actually made worse.

I agree.. We always rip ESPN and other sports outlets for their lack of knowledge and laziness when it comes to our athletics... Yet we continue to be just as inept...

ScottH
02-22-2016, 12:12 PM
That roster needs work, as usual for our official site.

I'm shocked. ***

Bothrops
02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
We let too many kids slip away from us in this last one. And I'm not just talking about the guys we fought for at the end. We just didn't get on it early enough.

Johnson85
02-22-2016, 01:10 PM

I'm not following something. With the numbers you're posting above, even if we sign the full 25 in 2017, doesn't that leave us with 60 scholarship players going into 2018, which means we can sign the full 25 again in 2018?

Jack Lambert
02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm not following something. With the numbers you're posting above, even if we sign the full 25 in 2017, doesn't that leave us with 60 scholarship players going into 2018, which means we can sign the full 25 again in 2018?

Folks here just try to put too much thought into shit. I say don't worry about it will all work out in the end. We will probably sign some JUCO guys in the late fall. They are not going to let those scholy good unused.

engie
02-22-2016, 02:30 PM

You've got it all twisted somewhere...
We can sign up to about 35 in this class as well...

Todd4State
02-23-2016, 01:03 AM

If you undersign you can roll over the spots to the next class, so since we're about 10 under we could and should have a Houston Nutt big class this year. And engie is right- we should have taken some JUCO guys to try to fill in some gaps. I would have taken a JUCO RB, WR, 3 o-linemen, and another CB.

Todd4State
02-23-2016, 01:06 AM

Dan's roster management is pretty laughable. Especially since it could be solved by a basic spreadsheet.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Only issue is you can't sign 35 anymore regardless of how many spots you have. We are at 83. Regardless of how we got there it's 83. You can sign 27 per sec mandated rules. Add that 2 we carry over and that's 29. The limit to count back is 5. Even with constructive roster management and number crunching you are pretty much stuck at 30 with the rules in place. So I would expect 28-30 in the next class tops. I don't wanna take 35 bodies regardless. But 30 contributors is a different story.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-23-2016, 07:40 AM
The cool thing about having a big class is you can take some athletes that you don't know what position they are yet. Similar to the Brandon Bryant's, JT Grays, Tubby Lewis', and Justin Cox's of the world. Guys like Reddix, Blackmon, and Murphy come to mind in the coming classes

engie
02-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Only issue is you can't sign 35 anymore regardless of how many spots you have. We are at 83. Regardless of how we got there it's 83. You can sign 27 per sec mandated rules. Add that 2 we carry over and that's 29. The limit to count back is 5. Even with constructive roster management and number crunching you are pretty much stuck at 30 with the rules in place. So I would expect 28-30 in the next class tops. I don't wanna take 35 bodies regardless. But 30 contributors is a different story.

Do what?
SEC teams have gone north of 30 practically every year since the new rules were put in place.