PDA

View Full Version : In football news, I heard we had a scrimmage...

Coach34
08-12-2013, 02:38 PM
and the defense pretty much took it to our O...dont really have any details- just that the D is definitely ahead of the O at this point and our LB's "look incredible"

msstate7
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Good. I love it when we're a defensive team

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
and the defense pretty much took it to our O...dont really have any details- just that the D is definitely ahead of the O at this point and our LB's "look incredible"

As much as I enjoy the misery of bastards to the north, I would much rather talk MSU than the hopeful destruction of the bear program.

Great to hear about defense, its not surprising, we should have an elite defense this year. I think Oklahoma State finds that out in week 1.

engie
08-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Yep -- last year was the first time under Mullen that we heard about "the offense getting the best of the defense"...Hindsight shows what that was...

I'm basically 100% confident that our offense is ahead of where it was at this point last year. As such, the defense must be looking pretty salty...

Jack Lambert
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
We have been to more Bowl games because of our defense then because of our offense. Even croom got to a bowl game with a good defense.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm basically 100% confident that our offense is ahead of where it was at this point last year. As such, the defense must be looking pretty salty...

I really think the OSU game is going to be a showcase game for our defense. I know some are worried about IT, but I think it will shine a light on the talent on our defense for the entire country to see.

At the end of the day, you can't buy that publicity and when we win that game, our schedule sets up great for an early season run.

SignalToNoise
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I look forward to seeing an aggressive defense this year. Would also be nice to see the defensive line causing some disruption. I've forgotten what that looks like.

messageboardsuperhero
08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
I look forward to seeing an aggressive defense this year. Would also be nice to see the defensive line causing some disruption. I've forgotten what that looks like.

This.

It seemed like our D-Line was borderline scared to get in the backfield and be disruptive all last year.

Johnson85
08-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Unless we are working on implementing a lot of new plays to try to cater to TR's strengths, you'd think our offense would be as good or a little better than last year, so hopefully this means our D has gotten much better.

msstate7
08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Unless we are working on implementing a lot of new plays to try to cater to TR's strengths, you'd think our offense would be as good or a little better than last year, so hopefully this means our D has gotten much better.

Wonder how much is just better scheme

codeDawg
08-12-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't know. I get nervous when I hear either side dominating. I get that our D should be nasty this year, but our offense shouldn't be too bad either. Hopefully they catch up. We need the O and the D to be trading blows at this point.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't know. I get nervous when I hear either side dominating. I get that our D should be nasty this year, but our offense shouldn't be too bad either. Hopefully they catch up. We need the O and the D to be trading blows at this point.

Don't forget that Malcolm was out, as was Fred Ross, which I think will be two important parts of our offense this year if healthy. Joe Morrow better step his shit up, because apparently injury is the only thing that is going to keep Ross from stealing PT if he doesn't rise up

Irondawg
08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Don't know if we're talking about the same scrimmage, but I know in the first one we apparently had a lot of drops by WR and given our inexperience there it's not totally surprising.

Here's my question going into the Okie state game. Let's say we look good moving the ball on the ground and some of the short stuff. But TR is taking a few sacks and the intermediate routes just aren't working. So we basically look like we did in the bowl game - do we insert Dak and just see what happens?

I love TR, I want him to succeed, but we just seem so better better setup to be a ground and pound team than an air it out team.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't forget that Malcolm was out, as was Fred Ross, which I think will be two important parts of our offense this year if healthy. Joe Morrow better step his shit up, because apparently injury is the only thing that is going to keep Ross from stealing PT if he doesn't rise up

I told you, Morrow is most likely the latest Great MSU Hype Machine Bust. He's tall and fast, but that's it. I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he's a football player.

jumbo
08-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I told you, Morrow is most likely the latest Great MSU Hype Machine Bust. He's tall and fast, but that's it. I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he's a football player.

having a legitimate WR coach for an entire year is going to be huge for Morrow. I'm not saying he is going to come out and have 1000 yards this year, but I think he starts to show the potential everyone said he had

Coach34
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I love TR, I want him to succeed, but we just seem so better better setup to be a ground and pound team than an air it out team.

I think there will certainly be a quicker trigger in 2013- if needed

CadaverDawg
08-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't know if we're talking about the same scrimmage, but I know in the first one we apparently had a lot of drops by WR and given our inexperience there it's not totally surprising.

Here's my question going into the Okie state game. Let's say we look good moving the ball on the ground and some of the short stuff. But TR is taking a few sacks and the intermediate routes just aren't working. So we basically look like we did in the bowl game - do we insert Dak and just see what happens?

I agree with you, and we SHOULD bring Dak in in that situation....but Goat will say that we're crazy.

Goat even said that "Mullen only does what's in the best interest of the offense...he's not just trying to play towards the Sr QB"(paraphrasing, Goat).....but I say BS, or else we would have seen Dak in several games down the stretch last year and especially the Northwestern game after Russell's 3rd pick. Hopefully since he doesn't have to worry about Russell leaving or something, he can have a quicker hook this year if things start going bad for the O. Or best case scenario, Tyler lights it up this year and Dak gets lots of PT when we are up BIG in several games. Should be interesting.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
having a legitimate WR coach for an entire year is going to be huge for Morrow. I'm not saying he is going to come out and have 1000 yards this year, but I think he starts to show the potential everyone said he had

I think so too, and I really hope so because he has the size to be a force. I also think the young guys competing for PT will really force Morrow to step up his game. I just haven't seen that aggressiveness from him the few times I've seen him. If you are that big, you have to go after the football like it's yours and nobody else's, but he plays a soft brand of WR from what I've seen so far.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Im hearing that the the freshman are going to pass him on the depth chart by mid season.

engie
08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Wonder how much is just better scheme

Most of it. Better scheme and players actually playing in position for the most part...

engie
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM

If the ground game and some short stuff is working, why do we need to make a change? The only reason we needed to pull Tyler in the Gator Bowl was his mistakes -- not because he was failing to move the ball.

It's actually ideal for us to grind the pace of the game way down and keep their offense off the field. If our ground game is working like it should, and the short stuff is working, we'll play action them to death before when it gets late with that #112 pass defense...

codeDawg
08-12-2013, 04:31 PM

How long is Ross out? Doesn't he have a broken wrist? I'm no ortho, but that sounds awful.

I'm just hopeful our run blocking improves 20x over last year. There is nothing we can do about inexperience at WR, but the OL should be healthy and know what they are doing. Last year the injuries showed up in the running game.

The running game is going to have to create opportunities in the passing game, and the young guys are going to have to shine when it's time.

I am very happy with the reports about the D though. We should be able to hang around with anybody if these reports are accurate.

engie
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I thought it was Fred Brown that was out with the wrist -- not Fred Ross... Am I wrong?

CadaverDawg
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
How long is Ross out? Doesn't he have a broken wrist? I'm no ortho, but that sounds awful.

I'm just hopeful our run blocking improves 20x over last year. There is nothing we can do about inexperience at WR, but the OL should be healthy and know what they are doing. Last year the injuries showed up in the running game.

The running game is going to have to create opportunities in the passing game, and the young guys are going to have to shine when it's time.

I am very happy with the reports about the D though. We should be able to hang around with anybody if these reports are accurate.

Fred Brown broke his wrist. I think Ross's injury was minor...a groin or something.

And yes, I agree about the Oline....unfortunately I think our running issues had more to do wi scheme than anything. When you run a spread option run, and your QB is no threat to run, it's pretty easy to key in on a 190 LB RB and take him down. Hopefully our changes like the under center look, will help the run game.

Coach34
08-12-2013, 04:43 PM
our running game issues were more scheme related than OL-related.

maroonmania
08-12-2013, 04:57 PM

The last time we signed a tall, rangy, athletic WR from the MS Gulf Coast it didn't go so well. Was hoping this time would be different but I'm getting the sinking feeling that maybe it won't be. Will reserve judgement though until I see what happens this year, he is still only a Sophomore.

Ronny
08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
...every college football team in the nation claims their defense is ahead of the offense. And it's not bullshit; it's true.

Put it this way: What if you played defense & were tasked with learning around 12 defensive schemes, compared to an offensive player who is tasked with learning around 50 brand new plays? As well as having to polish up & remember all the old plays?

Which side do you think would be the side that can afford to go full bore every scrimmage & not worry about mistakes?

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2013, 09:25 PM
I think so too, and I really hope so because he has the size to be a force. I also think the young guys competing for PT will really force Morrow to step up his game. I just haven't seen that aggressiveness from him the few times I've seen him. If you are that big, you have to go after the football like it's yours and nobody else's, but he plays a soft brand of WR from what I've seen so far.

You're seeing exactly what I am, Cadaver. Unless Gonzalez can fix Morrow's head, he'll never make an impact. He just doesn't fight for the ball or even acts like he wants it. No one denies the physical skills. But soft WRs don't make it in this league, and Morrow is soft.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
You're seeing exactly what I am, Cadaver. Unless Gonzalez can fix Morrow's head, he'll never make an impact. He just doesn't fight for the ball or even acts like he wants it. No one denies the physical skills. But soft WRs don't make it in this league, and Morrow is soft.

This is why I am excited about Wilson. Basketball players usually have the ability to go up and get the ball because they are so used to rebounding and rebounding and catching jump ball are very similar.

Dawg61
08-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Somewhere Fred Ross doesn't appreciate you calling his groin "minor"**

EnterpriseDawg
08-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Morrow come from a high school that mostly runs? So right there he is already at a disadvantage behind other WRs out of high school. Not to mention he hasn't had one position coach for more than one year. It's just taken him longer than most to find his way, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Also not sure how one bust of a receiver and one struggling receiver have anything to do with an entire area of the state?

camsu
08-13-2013, 07:05 AM
I think Wilson will redshirt so Morrow has to step up. I think Billy will get it done with him, "glass half full" but with Lewis and Chappelle taking a lot of pressure off him he will see the light. It also seems like Russell worked with him all summer, so just surving that 1st hit in the OKS game and hanging onto the ball he moves forward

HIGHDOG
08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
if ross doesn't get well soon, he's destined for a RS....1st post - nice board!!...tom

Homedawg
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
if ross doesn't get well soon, he's destined for a RS....1st post - nice board!!...tom

I don't think Ross has much of a chance to rs. Unless his injury lingers for 7-8 games. I think he and probably Wilson will play and the rest rs.

bocfarm
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm just not sure on Morrow...everyone keeps saying "the light bulb just hasn't come one yet"

Beginning to wonder if there's one up there, we'll know early this season

jumbo
08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Morrow come from a high school that mostly runs? So right there he is already at a disadvantage behind other WRs out of high school. Not to mention he hasn't had one position coach for more than one year. It's just taken him longer than most to find his way, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Also not sure how one bust of a receiver and one struggling receiver have anything to do with an entire area of the state?

yes...his HS ran the wing T if I remember correctly

Bothrops
08-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Ross should be good to go by the 31st. I think Wilson will play this year. I was looking forward to seeing Fred Brown. Does anyone know how long he may be out?

Coach34
08-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Brown could be back by Auburn last I heard