PDA

View Full Version : Observations

preachermatt83
02-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Guys, there is a ton to take away from yesterday. I haven't looked at the game threads yet so I apologize if someone has already stated some of this but here is my opinion.

- First and foremost, we lost and that's not good at all
- However we got two bright spots... 1) Solid starting pitching. Hudson let his nerves bother him a bit in the first but then really settled into a groove and did a very good job. 2) hitting the ball was very good. More extra base hits than we are used to and even a dinger. 3) the young position players did a very good job all around. We have some very solid young players.
- the main negatives I took away were ... 1) out hitting wasn't timely (that's a lineup issue) and 2) our bullpen struggled mightily BUT there were a ton of kids pitching in their first major college game in their lives and the moment was too big for them. Jarred Padgett didn't throw long but he handled himself with the most confidence out of all the young guys.
- I think we rebound fine. I see us winning the remaining 3 of this weekend. Going 3-1 in opening weekend should def be a positive.

cujo
02-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Guys, there is a ton to take away from yesterday. I haven't looked at the game threads yet so I apologize if someone has already stated some of this but here is my opinion.

- First and foremost, we lost and that's not good at all
- However we got two bright spots... 1) Solid starting pitching. Hudson let his nerves bother him a bit in the first but then really settled into a groove and did a very good job. 2) hitting the ball was very good. More extra base hits than we are used to and even a dinger. 3) the young position players did a very good job all around. We have some very solid young players.
- the main negatives I took away were ... 1) out hitting wasn't timely (that's a lineup issue) and 2) our bullpen struggled mightily BUT there were a ton of kids pitching in their first major college game in their lives and the moment was too big for them. Jarred Padgett didn't throw long but he handled himself with the most confidence out of all the young guys.
- I think we rebound fine. I see us winning the remaining 3 of this weekend. Going 3-1 in opening weekend should def be a positive.
I graduated from Prep. Not bashing. Just observing. Yes, I was at the game.

Tbonewannabe
02-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Breaux looked good for a few batters then the wheels came off. There is definitely a vast talent upgrade in the pitching staff if they settle down.

BiscuitEater
02-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Guys, there is a ton to take away from yesterday.

Agree that losing is never good BUT did notice that several of the biggest gripes about Cohen and his 'never gonna change attitude.' There were some positive 'take aways.' ..

Cohen 'won't' go with better bats. Noticed that the players picked the bats.
Cohen is 'stuck' on upperclassmen and won't play the 'better' young uns. Don't know when we have ever played that many FR and newcomers to start a year under Cohen. (NEW bitch I saw on Twitter is now .. "Cohen is throwing them out there too early and destroying their confidence")
Cohen won't let them swing at the first pitch. Say what you want BUT they came out swinging and were aggressive.

Bottom line .. Cohen haters are gonna find 'new' things to bitch about.

Blackout
02-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Cohen haters are gonna find 'new' things to bitch about.

Same ol same ol for me (see 6th inning)