PDA

View Full Version : Holy mother of God...

messageboardsuperhero
02-19-2016, 11:47 PM
One game and the world comes to an end. We lost to a good, much more experienced team tonight. The only thing that was really frustrating to me was our pitchers not competing with the game on the line. Seven walks? Damn, that has to change. And FAU did have a couple of Texas leaguers drop in with RISP in the seventh. By far the most disappointing moment of the night for me was when Ethan Small went away from the fastball after the FAU hitter hit the long foul ball- our freshmen and relief pitchers need to learn that you have to compete and throw your best pitch when it counts. Be the stud that you are and make him hit your 96 MPH smoke instead of going away from your best stuff.

For the first time in years, our team passes the eye test physically. We mashed the ball pretty well tonight against a good staff and scored at least one run in five of the nine innings. People need to understand that we are starting almost all freshmen in the middle of the field- and we are as inexperienced as I have ever seen us in the field. We are really talented though and will get better and better. Wait a while before freaking out.

engie
02-19-2016, 11:54 PM
Yep.

defiantdog
02-19-2016, 11:58 PM
This Oban 14 allowed me to remember that it's still February.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2016, 12:01 AM
I agree with everything said here, but I think the MSU fan base is just sick of losing. PERIOD...

I don't think tonight's loss has everything to do with baseball. I think it's a continuation of the frustration of the Alabama & Ole Miss football games, our shitastic basketball season, & our underwhelming recruiting class. People are just sick of others going in dry on us & want a reason to get excited, have hope, & believe MSU can win a championship

The MSU fan base needs a reason to get excited for more than one 3 hour bowl game right now. I think that's the reason for much of the outrage. It's been a tough 3 months & people desperately want to reason to cheer

baseballfan
02-20-2016, 12:02 AM
You do realize that the freshmen pitchers were not calling their pitches. Chill on the negatives. This team is loaded and showed a lot of positives tonight. They will get better. The talent is there both offensively and defensively. All the freshmen got their feet wet and were able to get the first game jitters out of the way.

maroonmania
02-20-2016, 12:12 AM
I agree with everything said here, but I think the MSU fan base is just sick of losing. PERIOD...

I don't think tonight's loss has everything to do with baseball. I think it's a continuation of the frustration of the Alabama & Ole Miss football games, our shitastic basketball season, & our underwhelming recruiting class. People are just sick of others going in dry on us & want a reason to get excited, have hope, & believe MSU can win a championship

The MSU fan base needs a reason to get excited for more than one 3 hour bowl game right now. I think that's the reason for much of the outrage. It's been a tough 3 months & people desperately want to reason to cheer

You speak the truth. Its almost like we must continue to be punished by some higher sports power for being given a national runner up season in baseball and 5 weeks at #1 in football because relatively speaking its pretty much been a sh*t sandwich in everything since then.

Coach34
02-20-2016, 12:23 AM
We are a top 20 baseball program historically. We missed the NCAA Tourney last year. Anything less than top 32 in unacceptable

BayouDawg
02-20-2016, 12:33 AM
the question I have is why are we in rebuilding mode when our coach has been here what 9 or 10 years? We're supposed to be one of the most tradition rich programs in the country. So why can't we consistently reload like Vandy, LSU, Fla, and USCe? We've been on a damn near free fall since the the great '13 season. The last I checked Cohen is the second highest paid in the SEC only behind LSU's coach. I just don't understand what's going on with our program right now

djaymsu5
02-20-2016, 12:36 AM

That's exactly how I feel. I know others more than likely do too. Do I have hope and think we will turn it around? Yes I do but it's going to take patience. Something that is hard to come by when we are continuously losing in every sport.

War Machine Dawg
02-20-2016, 12:42 AM
the question I have is why are we in rebuilding mode when our coach has been here what 9 or 10 years? We're supposed to be one of the most tradition rich programs in the country. So why can't we consistently reload like Vandy, LSU, Fla, and USCe? We've been on a damn near free fall since the the great '13 season. The last I checked Cohen is the second highest paid in the SEC only behind LSU's coach. I just don't understand what's going on with our program right now

Excellent questions. And we're shelling out that type of money for these results? Holy shit. Time for Cohen to shit or get off the pot.

zdawg
02-20-2016, 12:44 AM
One game and the world comes to an end. We lost to a good, much more experienced team tonight. The only thing that was really frustrating to me was our pitchers not competing with the game on the line. Seven walks? Damn, that has to change. And FAU did have a couple of Texas leaguers drop in with RISP in the seventh. By far the most disappointing moment of the night for me was when Ethan Small went away from the fastball after the FAU hitter hit the long foul ball- our freshmen and relief pitchers need to learn that you have to compete and throw your best pitch when it counts. Be the stud that you are and make him hit your 96 MPH smoke instead of going away from your best stuff.

For the first time in years, our team passes the eye test physically. We mashed the ball pretty well tonight against a good staff and scored at least one run in five of the nine innings. People need to understand that we are starting almost all freshmen in the middle of the field- and we are as inexperienced as I have ever seen us in the field. We are really talented though and will get better and better. Wait a while before freaking out.

Are you sure the pitch selection was his decision ?
Agreed : this team is going to be really good.

messageboardsuperhero
02-20-2016, 12:54 AM
Are you sure the pitch selection was his decision ?

I know that when Butch was here the catchers called the games with the pitchers having the option to shake off pitches. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Regardless of who made the final call, I disagreed with the decision... And not because of the end result either.

ETA: And of course what made it worse was the breaking ball hanging up in the middle of the zone instead of getting buried in the dirt.

JohnnyQuid
02-20-2016, 01:28 AM

this is me. looking for something to be excited about

mstatefan91
02-20-2016, 02:09 AM
Defend it all you want, but a top program does not lose to Florida Atlantic in their opener.

Edit to say that if we win both tomorrow, I'll have more faith. If we lose both... just no

BayouDawg
02-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Defend it all you want, but a top program does not lose to Florida Atlantic in their opener.

Yep. Sure they're a solid team but guess what we play in the SEC where every team is solid at worst. It just worries me how the same things that cost us last year cost us tonight. Not getting hits with runners in scoring position and the bullpen collapsing. I know we got 17 hits and that sounds great but it doesnt matter if you get 50 hits if you can't hit with runners in scoring position. The seasons still young so maybe we can improve. If we can go 3-1 this weekend we'll be fine. I figured we would split with FAU. I just didn't think we'd lose the opener with our ace on the mound.

mstatefan91
02-20-2016, 02:26 AM
Yep. Sure they're a solid team but guess what we play in the SEC where every team is solid at worst. It just worries me how the same things that cost us last year cost us tonight. Not getting hits with runners in scoring position and the bullpen collapsing. I know we got 17 hits and that sounds great but it doesnt matter if you get 50 hits if you can't hit with runners in scoring position. The seasons still young so maybe we can improve. If we can go 3-1 this weekend we'll be fine. I figured we would split with FAU. I just didn't think we'd lose the opener with our ace on the mound.
My thoughts exactly. Dakota unfortunately set the tone for the game by giving up two runs (basically all on his own) in the first inning.

zdawg
02-20-2016, 06:09 AM
You do realize that the freshmen pitchers were not calling their pitches. Chill on the negatives. This team is loaded and showed a lot of positives tonight. They will get better. The talent is there both offensively and defensively. All the freshmen got their feet wet and were able to get the first game jitters out of the way.

Totally agree with every point.

Blackout
02-20-2016, 08:03 AM
On the field is on the field. Shit happens results wise, at-em balls for example.

I'm most worried about our blockhead coach still playing for one run in the 6th inning of a tie ballgame. Those types of decisions aren't result oriented they are decision oriented. Bunting one man to 2nd base to set up the 9 hole.. In a TIE game... Early as the 6th!... Icing on the cake when the bunter hits a bomb his next AB.

engie
02-20-2016, 08:04 AM
We are a top 20 baseball program historically. We missed the NCAA Tourney last year. Anything less than top 32 in unacceptable

We fell out of the top 32 already?

engie
02-20-2016, 08:07 AM

Edit to say that if we win both tomorrow, I'll have more faith. If we lose both... just no

Don't watch much baseball do you? Florida Atlantic was RPI #17 last year and returned a ton. They were a gnats ass away from being a host team.

engie
02-20-2016, 08:09 AM
My thoughts exactly. Dakota unfortunately set the tone for the game by giving up two runs (basically all on his own) in the first inning.

No, the heck, he didn't. Please just quit. We were not trailing when he came out of the game.

engie
02-20-2016, 08:10 AM
On the field is on the field. Shit happens results wise, at-em balls for example.

I'm most worried about our blockhead coach still playing for one run in the 6th inning of a tie ballgame. Those types of decisions aren't result oriented they are decision oriented. Bunting one man to 2nd base to set up the 9 hole.. In a TIE game... Early as the 6th!... Icing on the cake when the bunter hits a bomb his next AB.

This one is fair. It was a dumb decision at the time.

Blackout
02-20-2016, 08:19 AM
We fell out of the top 32 already?

My issue with Cohen is that we mostly underachieve in the regular season per the talent we have (in game management decisions contribute to this). One host during his tenure is a miserable failure. It's not about top 32... I don't want to be a National Seed's 2 seed.... Top 24 or pack your bags.

SDDawg
02-20-2016, 09:46 AM
This Oban 14 allowed me to remember that it's still February.

God bless you man, that is my absolute favorite too. That'll get you through a tough night with ease.

engie
02-20-2016, 09:58 AM
My issue with Cohen is that we mostly underachieve in the regular season per the talent we have (in game management decisions contribute to this). One host during his tenure is a miserable failure. It's not about top 32... I don't want to be a National Seed's 2 seed.... Top 24 or pack your bags.

Also fair.

mstatefan91
02-20-2016, 10:27 AM
No, the heck, he didn't. Please just quit. We were not trailing when he came out of the game.
He did set the tone. He made up for it, but he set the tone.

dawgs
02-20-2016, 11:16 AM

Yep. And baseball being a complete shitshow and about as bad as I've seen it last season plays a role here. Can't help but get that "here we go again" feeling.

dawgs
02-20-2016, 11:22 AM

F*** top 24, I want to host. There's nothing better than a regional at the dude. Nothing. And why not host a damn super regional too? I'd literally fly across the country if we were a national seed hosting a regional, spend the week visiting family and friends, then hopefully cap off the trip hosting a super regional. I've been wanting to do that ever since I left Starkville in 2004 and haven't had that chance.

Blackout
02-20-2016, 11:29 AM
F*** top 24, I want to host.

Absolutely!

I'm saying anything less than top 24 is a FAILED regular season