PDA

View Full Version : Is 2016 MSU baseball comparable to 2017 MSU basketball?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm not a baseball guy so I don't have an answer, but I've been wondering if it is valid to compare 2015's baseball team (last year) to 2016's basketball team (this year), and in turn, compare 2016's baseball team (this year) to 2017's basketball team (next year).

We lost a lot of players from last year's baseball team, & based on win-loss, a lot of it seems to be positive attrition that will be replaced by better talent. Addition by subtraction. The same can be said for this year's basketball team, which will lose 5 seniors on top of the 3 that were cut.

Out with the old, in with the new. This year's baseball team is younger, and seems to be more talented, although the talent is clustered together in the Junior & Freshman classes. Next year's basketball team will be remarkably young, and remarkably more talented, although 95% of our talent will be freshmen or sophomores.

Different sports, but I consider a JR/FR-laden baseball team to be comparably young to a SO/FR-laden basketball team. I am excited about next year's basketball team b/c our youth & talent will make it a foundation year that we will build off of towards a championship year. I am not concerned with W-L results next year, so much as I want to see development & promise.

I want to know if I should be similarly excited about this year's baseball team, without placing all emphasis on winning now. We have youth & talent, so is this also a foundation team that we can build off of towards a championship team; or are we due to take a step back due to potential early exits or an imbalanced roster? If we start lose games due to inexperience, can I put my nose to the wind & maintain hope for next year; or do I chalk up a lost cause & call for program changes?

I've made this comparison in my ill-informed mind, just wondering if there is any merit to it. Either way, excited for a fresh start in both cases.

engie
02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
This is a peak year in baseball, not an early stage rebuild. Gonna put 5 pitchers in the top 10 rounds. The freshman class is exciting, so that part can be called similar...

Big4Dawg
02-19-2016, 04:01 PM
weird tidbit looking at roster.

4 seniors
17 juniors
4 sophomores
15 freshmen

What's up with our super small sophomore class?