PDA

View Full Version : Big trout discussion on podcast

BeastMan
02-19-2016, 11:36 AM
On the Fish Strong with Salt Brothers podcast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fish-strong-salt-strong-brothers/id1073473354?mt=2&i=363237679

If you want to listen, start at about 13 mins and run until 16:15. He's talking about how he most effectively gets big trout in Florida. He says on his charters, the biggest numbers come on 5-7 inch live mullet. He says smaller baits will work but smaller fish will often beat the bigger fish for the smaller bait. He goes on to say he hears MS & LA angkers have so many trout (including small fish), we focus on smaller baits to catch more fish. He said there are definitely big trout there and if you use big baits you can eliminate the smaller fish bites. Essentially this is a big bait big fish opinion which is nothing new but I thought it was interesting hearing a big trout guide in Florida critiquing MS & LA trout anglers.

BrunswickDawg
02-19-2016, 01:25 PM
I guess that is one of the reasons I have a hard time with the trout here. I'm too lazy to go seining or cast-net before going out and get some bait fish. Sticking with live shrimp can limit you in the marshes - and the rays like it too, which is just a pain in the ass.

Uncivilengineer
02-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Live croakers are the bomb if you can get them. The sell them in Pass Christian at the Harbor Marina. Later in the year we throw a cast net for live pogies.

SpeckleDawg
02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Live croakers are the bomb if you can get them. The sell them in Pass Christian at the Harbor Marina. Later in the year we throw a cast net for live pogies.

Yep, Roscoe is my go-to for live croakers. As much as I enjoy fishing artificial lures for trout, my favorite thing to do is soak some big live croakers in late spring. That usually produces my biggest catches each year.