PDA

View Full Version : Baseball preview

Todd4State
02-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Here are my thoughts. I start with closer because that's my favorite position.

Closer- We're going to see a committee of closers because Houston's arm doesn't bounce back quickly from day to day. That's why he will probably start in the minors and I see him having a similar pro career arc as Holder. Houston will be one of the closers. Humphreys will be one- and yes he had a bad last outing but that happens to everyone- even Mariano Rivera blew the World Series once. It's all about how you come back the next time and I think Humphreys will be fine. The third one could be Ryan Rigby, Paul Young, or Jacob Billingsley. Young has looked better and better each time out and that's good to see coming off of Tommy John. Rigby is going to be one of the best lower arm angle guys in the league. The coaches love Billingsley although he has gotten hit some in the scrimmages. He's a high 80's guy with a really good curveball that's tough on right hand hitters. We don't really have an obvious LH guy but I really like Ethan Small and Kale Breaux in that role and Tatum will see some time there as well. Keegan James might be a wild card for the bullpen as well because his fastball is in the low 90's already.

Rotation- Hudson and Sexton have spots locked up. Too much has been made about Hudson's walks and not enough has been made about how he has gotten better each time out. Sexton has been the best of any starter we have had. He could take over as the ace at some point. The third spot is between Daniel Brown, Vance Tatum, Ethan Small, and Noah Hughes. Brown has it for now- and rightfully so. I wouldn't be surprised if Small earns it later on though. We just have to see how he does. I like Tatum at midweek because of our schedule and I'd rather have a veteran going up against some of those teams than a freshman. Small could change my mind if he is ready. Hughes has looked good in the scrimmages- but he needs time to develop. He has a bright future as well.

Catcher- We're a LOT better here than we were last year. Elih Marrero is going to start at least until Jack Kruger's arm is 100%. He's not your typical freshman having grown with a MLB catcher in his house. He's going to be a little more advanced in calling games and he has shown that so far. Only question I have is how quickly can he adjust to SEC pitching? Kruger is the best hitter among the catchers and I'm still not sure how he is defensively because he hasn't been 100%. Playing at Oregon should help him out some. Lovelady is an elite defender but he can't hit. Collins might catch some although he is better at third base.

Infield- Lowe should be the first baseman and he is going to surprise some experts. He's another JUCO guy that played at a D-I school- Mercer. Cole Gordan played well, but he just isn't quite where Lowe is. Hunter Stovall and Luke Alexander are going to play a LOT. Fans are going to love Stovall and Alexander is MLB caliber defensively right now. Again, how quickly can they adjust to SEC pitching? I can't see Holland contributing much because of injuries. Gridley is a good player and he is going to have to compete to stay in the lineup. Collins is our best third baseman right now. I expect him to be much better as a hitter now that he is 100%. Playing third should help keep him healthy plus he is actually better defensively there than he is at catcher. Luke Reynolds showed that he could hit but he has struggled defensively. I expect him to be a DH/PH guy and he could be good in that role. I'd move him to the OF if it were me.

Outfield- Rooker has taken a step forward and I'm expecting a big year from him. Robson is one of the best lead off guys and bunters in the SEC. He needs to hit some more doubles and triples though. We'll see how Reid Humphreys does at the plate- but it does sound like he is a better overall player at least defensively. He needs to hit some bombs for us whether he hits for average or not. Cody Brown is just a baseball player. He always finds his way into the lineup and he performs no matter what. He's just now becoming an upper classman too. Cody can run, he can hit for average, and he makes plays in the field. Michael Smith is a guy that can fly and he can defend as well as anyone. He hit well in the scrimmages too- so we'll see him some. Jake Mangum came into a situation where there were a ton of upper classmen outfielders and all he did is play his ass off and make it known that he should be in the discussion for playing time as well.

DH- I expect Kruger to be the main guy until he gets healthy. After that as you can see there are a ton of guys.

Special Teams- Like I said, I think Luke Reynolds could be a really good weapon off the bench for us as the top pinch hitter. Cole Gordan is a guy we could use as a pinch hitter if we need a home run. As far as pinch runners go- Michael Smith would be my top guy there. Especially since I know he can also be a good defensive replacement in the field too. Mangum is pretty fast as well. Again, lots of options.

The schedule is without question the most difficult we have had since Cohen has been here. I think we will take our lumps from time to time simply because of that. But we also have a lot more margin for error and the good news is pitching is now a strength for us. So, I expect us to win our share of games too. If we win four out of the six against the PAC 12 teams, we should be pretty optimistic. I like the way our team has been built though- we have some power arms and a few drop down guys and we have a good mix of power and speed. That said, we could be top heavy as a lineup because we may be playing three freshmen at a time and you just never know what you are going to get out of them. We should be better defensively as well- as long as we don't play Collins at catcher and Reynolds at third a lot. One thing freshmen can adjust to more quickly sometimes is defense and I think Marrero and Alexander are more advanced than most freshmen in that department. As far as hitting the young guys are going to have to learn how to make adjustments on the fly and the quicker they do that the better they are going to be.

It should be a fun year!

Hail State!

K9 Avenger
02-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks for putting this together...a ton of great information there. I really look forward to seeing what this pitching staff looks like under Wes Johnson...excited to see how Cohen blends in all the new guys as well. It should be a fun year and I can't wait until tomorrow.

baseballfan
02-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I agree with you. I predict we will see Sexton emerge as the ace and Small will be in the weekend rotation. Robson will be a beast at the plate.

Backwoodsdawg
02-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Good analysis Todd, It really boils down to who Cohen will play in certain spots. Does he have balls enough to play 3 freshman at a time, does he play favorites or is he gonna mix it all up, who knows. But from what I've seen is if he will man up and play the BEST "baseball players" no matter of age or favoritism we will be very good. If he doesn't look for more of the same from last year. What's that old saying...You can rub on turd all you want and it will never turn into a diamond! Well I think most of you will get that!

So let's get it on and see what happens. Hoping for a great weekend.

smootness
02-18-2016, 09:39 AM
So who are we looking at for guys with the possibility to bust out offensively? Because we will need a few.

Obviously we know Collins has the potential to hit really well. And I know Humphreys and Rooker have the talent but have to go out and do it. What about Lowe? Is this a guy who may hit .260 with 10 HR on the top end? Can Michael Smith be a really good bat if he emerges?

Backwoodsdawg
02-18-2016, 10:20 AM
My guess would be Lowe. He had a good fall and has been killing it in the spring. Collins has struggled along with Hump for the most part and Rooker is all or nothing with nothing being more present than the all. But all 3 have knocked the cover off of the ball at times too. I think Smith and Lowe have been the most consistent. 4 of the new guys have shown they can get it done in scrimmages but not in real games yet so it's hard to know how they will turn out yet.

shoeless joe
02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Slightly OT...are this weekends games on SEC network+?
Won't he able to make it to a game til Sunday.

CarolinaDawgs
02-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Great info. I think Tatum has earned the Sunday spot IMO based off of last year and his summer/fall/spring. D Brown also has been good but wining SEC games are too valuable to not have a vet and competitor like Tatum. Nothing against D Brown but just the how I feel. I think we are going to be very unimpressed with Hudson unless he can have better control, not to say that it hasn't improved but elite hitters and lineups in the SEC are patient.

We have a good problem though in having too much pitching. Should be fun to watch.

Dawg496
02-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Slightly OT...are this weekends games on SEC network+?
Won't he able to make it to a game til Sunday.

Looks like tomorrow night's game will be on SEC Network+:

http://secsports.go.com/tv-schedule/_/date/20160219

maroonmania
02-18-2016, 11:54 AM
So I guess I'm not understanding why we don't go ahead and make Houston a starter if he is one of our very best pitchers but his arm does not snap back quickly and we have other viable options for the closer role?

Backspin
02-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Very good analysis Todd. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Lotta new faces and youth will be on the field at times. Several question marks and a lot of potential on this team. It certainly has the potential to be a fun year and get back to M over S baseball. Expectations are high from a lot of directions. It's going to come down to coaching.

Todd4State
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
So I guess I'm not understanding why we don't go ahead and make Houston a starter if he is one of our very best pitchers but his arm does not snap back quickly and we have other viable options for the closer role?

Great question. Some of it's because we have a LOT of quality starters- like I said Hudson and Sexton are no brainers. After that we have some really good arms as well- Small, Daniel Brown, Tatum, and Houston among others. Someone has to not start or sit on the bench. Of course at that point it becomes a question of how you utilize everybody to the best of their abilities. Houston hasn't gone very deep in any of the scrimmages he has pitched in- that has to factor in as well. If we're only going to get three innings out of him, we might as well use him like a Lindgren.

Todd4State
02-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Great info. I think Tatum has earned the Sunday spot IMO based off of last year and his summer/fall/spring. D Brown also has been good but wining SEC games are too valuable to not have a vet and competitor like Tatum. Nothing against D Brown but just the how I feel. I think we are going to be very unimpressed with Hudson unless he can have better control, not to say that it hasn't improved but elite hitters and lineups in the SEC are patient.

We have a good problem though in having too much pitching. Should be fun to watch.

I love Tatum. If he pitches well he might end up in the rotation. But as of now it's going to be Daniel Brown based on the rotation they released a day or two ago.

Hudson has to not try to be too fine and I think he will be OK. He had 41 K's to 7 BB's in the Cape Cod League in 42 IP.

maroonmania
02-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Great question. Some of it's because we have a LOT of quality starters- like I said Hudson and Sexton are no brainers. After that we have some really good arms as well- Small, Daniel Brown, Tatum, and Houston among others. Someone has to not start or sit on the bench. Of course at that point it becomes a question of how you utilize everybody to the best of their abilities. Houston hasn't gone very deep in any of the scrimmages he has pitched in- that has to factor in as well. If we're only going to get three innings out of him, we might as well use him like a Lindgren.

True, but base on what I saw last year I would put Houston ahead of Brown or Tatum. Haven't seen Small enough to know but I would think Houston would easily be in a 4 man rotation unless we see some FR really step up and be dominant.

Todd4State
02-18-2016, 09:30 PM
True, but base on what I saw last year I would put Houston ahead of Brown or Tatum. Haven't seen Small enough to know but I would think Houston would easily be in a 4 man rotation unless we see some FR really step up and be dominant.

I can understand that and that would have been true at the end of the year. But development happens in the Cape Cod League and also during the fall and things change sometimes with players.

CarolinaDawgs
02-18-2016, 10:26 PM
I can understand that and that would have been true at the end of the year. But development happens in the Cape Cod League and also during the fall and things change sometimes with players.

I can agree with this and Tatum is starting against Memphis Tuesday so Im not worried about his spot in the rotation, but remember he had a sub 2 ERA in the cape until last few games. Houston is a bullpen guy to me, really shined out of the pen at the end of last year.

Todd4State
02-18-2016, 11:12 PM
I can agree with this and Tatum is starting against Memphis Tuesday so Im not worried about his spot in the rotation, but remember he had a sub 2 ERA in the cape until last few games. Houston is a bullpen guy to me, really shined out of the pen at the end of last year.

That's great news. Memphis is a good team and I'd rather have a veteran going up against them than a freshman. That probably means that Small starts Sunday.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Good info Todd

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Hopefully this shows we are willing to move around the rotation to win important games. Memphis is a good team, no use wasting a great outing on Sunday if we get spanked on Tuesday.

zdawg
02-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Here are my thoughts. I start with closer because that's my favorite position.

Closer- We're going to see a committee of closers because Houston's arm doesn't bounce back quickly from day to day. That's why he will probably start in the minors and I see him having a similar pro career arc as Holder. Houston will be one of the closers. Humphreys will be one- and yes he had a bad last outing but that happens to everyone- even Mariano Rivera blew the World Series once. It's all about how you come back the next time and I think Humphreys will be fine. The third one could be Ryan Rigby, Paul Young, or Jacob Billingsley. Young has looked better and better each time out and that's good to see coming off of Tommy John. Rigby is going to be one of the best lower arm angle guys in the league. The coaches love Billingsley although he has gotten hit some in the scrimmages. He's a high 80's guy with a really good curveball that's tough on right hand hitters. We don't really have an obvious LH guy but I really like Ethan Small and Kale Breaux in that role and Tatum will see some time there as well. Keegan James might be a wild card for the bullpen as well because his fastball is in the low 90's already.

Rotation- Hudson and Sexton have spots locked up. Too much has been made about Hudson's walks and not enough has been made about how he has gotten better each time out. Sexton has been the best of any starter we have had. He could take over as the ace at some point. The third spot is between Daniel Brown, Vance Tatum, Ethan Small, and Noah Hughes. Brown has it for now- and rightfully so. I wouldn't be surprised if Small earns it later on though. We just have to see how he does. I like Tatum at midweek because of our schedule and I'd rather have a veteran going up against some of those teams than a freshman. Small could change my mind if he is ready. Hughes has looked good in the scrimmages- but he needs time to develop. He has a bright future as well.

Catcher- We're a LOT better here than we were last year. Elih Marrero is going to start at least until Jack Kruger's arm is 100%. He's not your typical freshman having grown with a MLB catcher in his house. He's going to be a little more advanced in calling games and he has shown that so far. Only question I have is how quickly can he adjust to SEC pitching? Kruger is the best hitter among the catchers and I'm still not sure how he is defensively because he hasn't been 100%. Playing at Oregon should help him out some. Lovelady is an elite defender but he can't hit. Collins might catch some although he is better at third base.

Infield- Lowe should be the first baseman and he is going to surprise some experts. He's another JUCO guy that played at a D-I school- Mercer. Cole Gordan played well, but he just isn't quite where Lowe is. Hunter Stovall and Luke Alexander are going to play a LOT. Fans are going to love Stovall and Alexander is MLB caliber defensively right now. Again, how quickly can they adjust to SEC pitching? I can't see Holland contributing much because of injuries. Gridley is a good player and he is going to have to compete to stay in the lineup. Collins is our best third baseman right now. I expect him to be much better as a hitter now that he is 100%. Playing third should help keep him healthy plus he is actually better defensively there than he is at catcher. Luke Reynolds showed that he could hit but he has struggled defensively. I expect him to be a DH/PH guy and he could be good in that role. I'd move him to the OF if it were me.

Outfield- Rooker has taken a step forward and I'm expecting a big year from him. Robson is one of the best lead off guys and bunters in the SEC. He needs to hit some more doubles and triples though. We'll see how Reid Humphreys does at the plate- but it does sound like he is a better overall player at least defensively. He needs to hit some bombs for us whether he hits for average or not. Cody Brown is just a baseball player. He always finds his way into the lineup and he performs no matter what. He's just now becoming an upper classman too. Cody can run, he can hit for average, and he makes plays in the field. Michael Smith is a guy that can fly and he can defend as well as anyone. He hit well in the scrimmages too- so we'll see him some. Jake Mangum came into a situation where there were a ton of upper classmen outfielders and all he did is play his ass off and make it known that he should be in the discussion for playing time as well.

DH- I expect Kruger to be the main guy until he gets healthy. After that as you can see there are a ton of guys.

Special Teams- Like I said, I think Luke Reynolds could be a really good weapon off the bench for us as the top pinch hitter. Cole Gordan is a guy we could use as a pinch hitter if we need a home run. As far as pinch runners go- Michael Smith would be my top guy there. Especially since I know he can also be a good defensive replacement in the field too. Mangum is pretty fast as well. Again, lots of options.

The schedule is without question the most difficult we have had since Cohen has been here. I think we will take our lumps from time to time simply because of that. But we also have a lot more margin for error and the good news is pitching is now a strength for us. So, I expect us to win our share of games too. If we win four out of the six against the PAC 12 teams, we should be pretty optimistic. I like the way our team has been built though- we have some power arms and a few drop down guys and we have a good mix of power and speed. That said, we could be top heavy as a lineup because we may be playing three freshmen at a time and you just never know what you are going to get out of them. We should be better defensively as well- as long as we don't play Collins at catcher and Reynolds at third a lot. One thing freshmen can adjust to more quickly sometimes is defense and I think Marrero and Alexander are more advanced than most freshmen in that department. As far as hitting the young guys are going to have to learn how to make adjustments on the fly and the quicker they do that the better they are going to be.

It should be a fun year!

Hail State!

Very Good T4S !
Thanks !

HSVDawg
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Looks like you can go ahead ans delete those 3 sentences about Reynolds. He gone.