PDA

View Full Version : Might be the worst reffing ever

tcdog70
02-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I am sick of us getting ****ed by the Refs. They have killed Chicken with some bogus fouls. He was playing His ass off.Q is hell on wheels.

beretta
02-16-2016, 11:56 PM
i was sitting right behind the bench....literally i heard howland at every time out.....ive seen some bad reffing, but this wasn't that bad.....when i say that, we got away with a lot tonight....a ton!....we just played piss poor and missed more layups than my 5 years olds team....that is what sucked the most....they outplayed us, we won.....we could have easily won with an average first half....

archdog
02-17-2016, 09:05 AM
swords last foul was probably the laziest call I have ever seen. The ref didn't put himself in position to even see if there was a foul. Still blew the whistle though.

MarketingBully
02-17-2016, 09:43 AM
i was sitting right behind the bench....literally i heard howland at every time out.....ive seen some bad reffing, but this wasn't that bad.....when i say that, we got away with a lot tonight....a ton!....we just played piss poor and missed more layups than my 5 years olds team....that is what sucked the most....they outplayed us, we won.....we could have easily won with an average first half....

The biggest break we got last night was when they said the ball went off Vandy but it went off Q but they should have called a foul there anyway so it is a moot point. We drove and created contact leading to Vandy fouls but they swallowed their whistle. Even John Saunders pointed it out several times and he is pretty objective. They also made some bad calls which they called fouls and we didn't foul on the other end. They should have called two charges on Vandy's players since they were out of control and lowered their shoulder into Sword. Wasn't the worst called game but they still sucked. I didn't think we "got away" with a lot myself and I am pretty knowledgeable. Not sure what you are referring to

maroonmania
02-17-2016, 09:47 AM
I will just say in general that SEC basketball officiating does seem to be at a lower level than it used to be. Not sure why but that does seem to be the case. I do know that it usually seems anything we do on defense is considered a foul. I didn't watch the game last night so I can't comment on it specifically.

sleepy dawg
02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
1. Refs aren't out to get us. They don't care 1 way or another about us. They make too much money to give a shit, or to **** something up with their "career".
2. Some other conferences are committed to have the absolute best referees irregardless of "track record". The SEC is not interested in this. Granted, this has changed some now that they have a new guy in charge of officials, but there's still a lot of the old SEC refs. A lot of refereeing (like anything else) is very political. And just because you have a guy who's been to the final 4 doesn't make him a good ref. A truly good ref isn't just trying to keep the coaches happy. A good ref calls fouls exactly as he sees them, and doesn't call fouls he can't see.
3. As it stands, a good ref can work in the Horizon League and do just as well as an SEC ref. Until the SEC makes the commitment to get the best refs like some other conferences have done and have the games called right, a lot won't change.
4. Rules have changed this year. And they changed last year. It's harder than ever to play defense. I hear folks all the time now saying something was a bullshit call when the ref called it by the book. You may not agree with the new rules, but don't criticize the refs for calling the game by the rules.... Since I didn't watch the game with anyone here, this is not directed at anybody in particular, just sayin...
5. To me there are 2 really bad things a lot of refs do, and it seems the worst in the SEC. One is (as someone may have eluded to above) is "anticipate" a call. Often, referees call a foul even if they didn't 100% see it, but rather they didn't have a good look, but they believe it was probably a foul, so they call it. Many refs do this as part of their game, and it shouldn't be done. Another thing a lot of "big time" refs do is try to please coaches by keeping the fouls even. Since coaches get to rate referees and can even block a couple per year, it's important to some referees to keep the coaches as happy as possible. To do this, they may call more fouls on one team, or let some slide to keep the foul differential from getting too lopsided. If 1 team has twice as many fouls as another team, that coach is probably going to give the refs of that game a poor rating.

tcdog70
02-17-2016, 02:24 PM
vandy players stepped out of bounds and no call resulted in a 3 pointer. 3 bogus calls on Chicken. The bogus call in our favor with Q. Ware got hammered more than once, in which JS said "they sure are letting them play". Travis also got hammered and no call. Over the back of Ware and the foul was called on Him.