PDA

View Full Version : Former player Rod Gibson added to the staff???

Coach34
02-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Rumblings out there we are adding Gibson to the staff and Callaway's coach to replace Sleepy.

msstate7
02-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Aren't we recruiting at least 2 callaway coaches?

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, don't remember much about him, but I like the strategy.

I think trading out Hughes, Manny, Townsend, & Sleepy for Buckley, Sirmon, Linquist, Peterson, & Gibson, is probably a net win. We get more national recruiting coverage, along with locking down the home front.

If we could only replace Sallach with Peterson, because Peterson is 5 billion times the on field coach that Sallach is, & make Hev's impact on recruiting as minimal as possible, I'd feel pretty good about the coaching staff.

HancockCountyDog
02-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Aren't we recruiting at least 2 callaway coaches?

We are recruiting at least 3 Callaway players.

gtowndawg
02-16-2016, 01:12 PM
The same Rod Gibson that scored the glorious TD against LSU on the last play of the game back in the 90's? Supposedly knocked out and could not recall scoring.

maroonmania
02-16-2016, 01:15 PM
The same Rod Gibson that scored the glorious TD against LSU on the last play of the game back in the 90's? Supposedly knocked out and could not recall scoring.

Yep, that's him.

HoopsDawg
02-16-2016, 01:19 PM
We are recruiting at least 3 Callaway players.

that worked well with the meridian players.

msstate7
02-16-2016, 01:53 PM

We didn't get meridian's coach**

Big4Dawg
02-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Looks like its Patrick Austin. Was formley HC at Callaway

Coach34
02-16-2016, 01:55 PM
So much for the OM propaganda machine saying we were hiring Noxubee's coach to secure Simmons

BankerDog
02-16-2016, 01:57 PM
We already have Emmanuel Dabney committed from Callaway. We just offered another one think it's Blackmon and are probably going to land Aaron Odom, a DE comparable to Speaks. They have the top WR in 2018 in Malik Heath. Former DL Darius Brown has really helped us down there, he is their new DL coach. Really wish Otis Ridley could've hyped is up to Moreis and Rod Taylor.

HancockCountyDog
02-16-2016, 01:58 PM

I have my own thoughts on the Meridian kids, one is going to Juco, I think the safeties will be good but not great, and the WR ended up at JUCO.

If there was one position this year Im ok missing, it was safety.

I have no idea how good the Callaway kids are, and I have some opinions on Callaway kids in general that are based on what I have heard from bear people about their Callaway kids that I will keep to myself.

Im all for reaching out to the areas that we have to recruit well in order to be successful.

I will say this again though, we absolutely have to recruit at a national level out of state this year. There is simply not enough SEC talent in MS this year even if we were able to land 75% of the top kids. If you don't believe me, look and see how many kids in state will actually be offered by rival SEC schools. It will be less than 12.

state66
02-16-2016, 02:41 PM
One thing is for sure and That is Mullen is putting an emphasis on putting together a staff that can recruit.

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Do you think Mullen is preparing to Ole Miss to go on probation?

Why else do you allocate this significant of resources to the in-state recruiting?

It's almost like Mullen has been given a heads up that the state is about to be his & he is loading up on in-state guys to fend off Bama, LSU, & Auburn once Ole Miss is out of the picture

BrunswickDawg
02-16-2016, 02:57 PM

Why else do you allocate this significant of resources to the in-state recruiting?

It's almost like Mullen has been given a heads up that the state is about to be his & he is loading up on in-state guys to fend off Bama, LSU, & Auburn once Ole Miss is out of the picture
Would also jibe with not taking "filler" to take up all our spots this year leaving a huge class for next year.

Commercecomet24
02-16-2016, 03:15 PM

I been thinking this for awhile as well. These hires he's made give us coaches that have been successful recruiting nationally and also men who are well connected in state. I think Dan knows exactly what's coming for the Bears and is positioning us to put a lockdown on the state!

DawgFromOxford
02-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Have we finally filled all our open staff positions then? or are there still more spots that can/need to be filled?

War Machine Dawg
02-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Hmmm, don't remember much about him, but I like the strategy.

I think trading out Hughes, Manny, Townsend, & Sleepy for Buckley, Sirmon, Linquist, Peterson, & Gibson, is probably a net win. We get more national recruiting coverage, along with locking down the home front.

If we could only replace Sallach with Peterson, because Peterson is 5 billion times the on field coach that Sallach is, & make Hev's impact on recruiting as minimal as possible, I'd feel pretty good about the coaching staff.

He scored the winning TD against LSU in '99 and was a bad to the bone fullback. Would love to get him on the field to replace Knox.

Reason2succeed
02-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Mullen has been reading "The Art of War". He let Freeze destroy himself and now he is preparing to dominate. The x-factor in all of this is the NCAA's willingness to put their foot down and give OM the punishments they deserve.

Back when everyone was complaining about the guys we "lost" I tried to suggest that Mullen was already addressing the recruiting void left by Tony Hughes departure. And boy has he addressed it. It's almost like recruiting overkill (I know that does not and cannot exist). I think we will be better than we ever have been before.

Jack Lambert
02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
So much for the OM propaganda machine saying we were hiring Noxubee's coach to secure Simmons

I never have had a problem with that. I would rather hire a coach who is going to continue to produce after we get the guy we want by signing him then to hire a kids brother who isn't going to bring anything else to the table.

Todd4State
02-16-2016, 04:57 PM

I think you are probably right at least to an extent.

He's in a good spot because now he has developed Dak- and that has resulted in us landing QB's like Keytaeon Thompson. We need to get a great RB to compliment him like we had Josh to compliment Dak- and that's probably Hill, although I hope we find a way to get Akers and Reddix too.

Now he just has to wait until Saban retires and hopefully Auburn and Arkansas will stay where they are relative to our program for awhile. No guarantee in any of that though.

There are definitely some similarities where we are now and where we were right before Jackie made his big run with us. Actually I'm sure we are in an even better position now than we were then.

Todd4State
02-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Mullen has been reading "The Art of War". He let Freeze destroy himself and now he is preparing to dominate. The x-factor in all of this is the NCAA's willingness to put their foot down and give OM the punishments they deserve.

Back when everyone was complaining about the guys we "lost" I tried to suggest that Mullen was already addressing the recruiting void left by Tony Hughes departure. And boy has he addressed it. It's almost like recruiting overkill (I know that does not and cannot exist). I think we will be better than we ever have been before.

I like Tony Hughes at Jackson State. Based on what I can tell, he is going to recruit Mississippi HARD. With their academic standards there, he will get some guys like Tony Bridges away from JUCO and keep them from going other places and might even keep a few diamonds from going other places.

Bully13
02-16-2016, 06:20 PM

I spent quite a bit of time talking and getting to know the guy who knocked him out. Mortgage bidness in Metairie back in the day.

Billy Ray Valentine
02-16-2016, 07:22 PM

Good thing replay wasn't a thing back then

War Machine Dawg
02-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Good thing replay wasn't a thing back then

How do you figure? He got in. I dare you to prove otherwise. Even under the current rules, it's a TD. Call on the field was TD and there was no angle you could tell otherwise. Thus, TD stands.

Homedawg
02-17-2016, 12:10 PM
How do you figure? He got in. I dare you to prove otherwise. Even under the current rules, it's a TD. Call on the field was TD and there was no angle you could tell otherwise. Thus, TD stands.

You are correct based on the rules. However, it didn't stop them from giving bama a td in 14 without evidence. So yea we could've gotten screwed then too.

Bully13
02-17-2016, 12:15 PM
The guy that made the knock out hit was a pretty cool guy. I wish I had a reason to doubt his take on that play but I don't. He emphatically said rod's knee hit the ground and miraculously made a 1/2 yd fall/crawl over the goal line in an unconscious state. He said he didn't know how rod hung on to the ball. I also remember him saying "I knocked his ass out "

MSUDogFan
02-17-2016, 01:49 PM
I was at the game...We scored on the play before that. Wish we had replay for that play.

Bully13
02-17-2016, 03:05 PM
I was at the game...We scored on the play before that. Wish we had replay for that play.

So was i. ..and I thought we had scored on that one too

Tbonewannabe
02-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Well the next year an LSU RB scored with Eugene Clinton holding the ball 3 yards away. He fumbled around the 2 or 3 yard line and the ball rolled straight to Eugene The Machine Clinton. We lost the game in Overtime so that TD definitely help decide the game. Strange that LSU fans never bring that up.

Tbonewannabe
02-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Also I am pretty sure Anthony Dixon scored on the play prior to Tyson Lee trying to sneak in to the endzone in 2009. It isn't even close how many calls have went LSUs way and we get one that is even questionable and people want to debate it.