PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Baseball Preseason Thoughts

bulldogcountry1
02-16-2016, 11:02 AM
I've tallied all the spring scrimmage offensive stats, read all the articles, and watched all the interviews. Things are starting to become a little clearer now as we head into the opening weekend of the 2016 season. I expect to see 14 or so position players in the lineup at some point in the weekend. Really specific, huh? Let's try to break it down.

Brent Rooker OF/DH- Sat out most of the scrimmages due to an ankle, but he should be fine and looks like he will have a big year for us.

Gavin Collins 3B/C- Only hit .192 in the scrimmages, but he will be okay as long as we don't try to catch him too much. I wouldn't expect for him to catch more than 1 game a week, and he will play 3rd the rest of the time.

Mike Smith OF- He hit .278 in the spring, which is well enough to deserve some early PT. He could find himself platooning in an outfield position if some of the bigger bat guys don't perform.

Reid Humphreys P/OF- Seems to be doing well on the mound and could up being a closer. Not sure about his situation as a position player. I imagine he will get a good opportunity due to his experience, but I still haven't seen anything that would make me think he can hit with average AND power.

Luke Reynolds OF/DH- He started coming on late last year, but he hasn't had a good spring. (.148) I don't see him playing 3rd much. He's going to have to battle for one of the outfield spots.

Cody Brown OF- He's our most productive returning hitter from 2015, but he's had a rough spring too. (.143) Once the lights are on, he will do well. He just needs to be more consistent at the plate. I've always liked the way he plays, and he will continue to fight for PT.

Jacob Robson CF- He's about the only guy I could place with any confidence at this point, given Cohen's track record. He's simply going to play good defense and get on base a lot.

Elih Marrero C- Hit .219 in the fall, and everyone is talking about him. I haven't heard this much buzz about a true freshman in a long time.

Nate Lowe 1B- Hit .444 in the fall. He's earned the job replacing Rea.

Jack Kruger DH/C- Cohen has been raving about his hitting ability, thought it hasn't translated into actual hits this spring with only a .167 BA. Cohen is very high on him, and it looks like he will play a lot.

Hunter Stovall IF- He has impressed the staff with his speed and high energy. we may see him at 2nd if Holland Can't go.

John Holland MIF- I don't really know what we are going to get here. He showed a lot of promise coming into last year. He played excellent defense, but never could really get into a groove at the plate. He's been injured most of the off season and hasn't seen live pitching in a while. Even if he does come back soon, he's going to be rusty.

Luke Alexander MIF- He looks like a guy that ready to step in and play.

Ryan Gridley MIF- He has the experience and has some some pop in his bat, but he is being pushed hard by Alexander.

Cole Cordon 1B- Had a big summer and is having a decent spring at .269. Lowe is just the better hitter at this point.

Jake Mangum OF/P- He's had a good spring at .290, but he might be the odd man out on the OF. He was given a lot of ABs, so I expect Cohen likes what he sees and plans on getting him in the lineup somehow.

Coach34
02-16-2016, 11:32 AM
good stuff- thanks

The Meddler will throw out a bunch of line-ups and make people battle. Thats a given. Hopefully some people can get in a groove and stay in the lineup awhile

Taog Redloh
02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
I would really like to see us get 2 of 3 back for fourth years out of the Rooker, Humphreys and Collins. That could be the catalyst we need next year to maintain the momentum that I THINK we're going to have after this year.

Lowe and Kruger are intriguing prospects for sure. I've learned not to trust the JUCOs too much, but they've done nothing but impress.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-16-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm hoping our pitching is lights out because our hitting hasn't been good to this point in spring. I know hitting lags behind pitching at this point in the season, but we've had some good weather to practice in this spring to get going at the plate. Our lack of extra base hits is concerning to me even at this point. We tried to win station to station last year out of necessity because we had no power whatsoever. Let's see if last summer's successes carry over. I certainly hope so.

This season is so critical on so many fronts. For one, Cohen being able to be in the third base box when we open the new Dude and Stricklin and his efforts in raising money to where we can build what we want compared to building what we can.

smootness
02-16-2016, 11:56 AM
We're still not going to have a great offense. Our success will depend on our pitching. But with Rooker, Collins, and Robson, I think we only need to have another 2-3 guys step up to have good years at the plate in order to win a lot of games.

maroonmania
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Not real promising, we had only 2 guys that hit .300 or better last season (Cody Brown and Luke Reynolds) and those guys hit a whopping .143 and .148 in the Fall respectively. I'm not getting the warm fuzzies about having much of any offensive punch this year.

bulldogcountry1
02-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Not real promising, we had only 2 guys that hit .300 or better last season (Cody Brown and Luke Reynolds) and those guys hit a whopping .143 and .148 in the Fall respectively. I'm not getting the warm fuzzies about having much of any offensive punch this year.

When you are looking at inter-squad scrimmage, there's a positive to most negatives. Our best pitchers are getting most all of our hitters out. That's really the best scenario you can hope for. If our guys were raking against our weekend guys, I would really be worried. Also, the advantage goes to the pitcher because the starters are only facing the hitters maybe twice, so they can bring their best stuff from the beginning. These are short scrimmages with 4-5 pitchers seeing action. This generally keeps the hitters from getting settled in.

Backwoodsdawg
02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
The thing with the hitting from what I've seen is our pitchers and catchers know our hitters so well that it almost isn't fair. They have pitched to them almost everyday for the past 6 months. They know what it takes to make them just a little off balance and roll over a ball or just not hit it as solid as they might off of someone who doesn't know them so well. I know other teams will have scouting reports on our hitters but it's not the same as throwing to them every week. I've seen flashes of the offense being pretty good early in the fall and early in the spring before the pitchers hone in on getting them out. Hopefully they will be able to turn it on when pitchers don't know them so well especially after struggling to get it to fall for a base hit against our own guys.

I hope I'm right at least I've seen it before, so we'll just have to give it a week or so and see what happens.