PDA

View Full Version : Soooo....the burner phones are becoming a big issue

Coach34
02-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Bama guys saying not only did Saban turn in OM again- this time on Carter- buttttttt the NCAA has his burner phone too

Couple that with the NCAA at Allen HS in Texas last week- and guess what the A&M people are saying they were asking about? Phone use and number of phones

jumbo
02-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Why in the world would you give the phone to the kid? Way too much liability with it in someone else's possession.

RC3
02-15-2016, 08:57 AM
wouldnt be surprised if something new comes out today that is bad for the boys up north

Coach34
02-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Why in the world would you give the phone to the kid? Way too much liability with it in someone else's possession.

Because they dont abide by the allowable contact rules. . You dont want recruits going to other schools with all those contacts times and network member phone numbers on their personal phone records.

msstate7
02-15-2016, 09:04 AM
I was always skeptical on how you could tie a burner phone to om coaches, but 2 different phones from different players saying the same thing is pretty strong evidence

Jack Lambert
02-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Because they dont abide by the allowable contact rules. . You dont want recruits going to other schools with all those contacts times and network member phone numbers on their personal phone records.

And you can add that they are a bunch of arrogant prim donnas that thought they could do what ever the wanted and get a way with it.

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I was always skeptical on how you could tie a burner phone to om coaches, but 2 different phones from different players saying the same thing is pretty strong evidence

This

Remember, there are two ways to know it snowed last night in court: 1. you actually stayed up and saw it snow. 2. It wasn't snowing when you went to bed but when you woke up there was snow on the ground.

The first is proof and the second is highly likely. The NCAA doesn't need "beyond a shadow of doubt" proof. They just need to truly believe somethings happened

TrapGame
02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
But B-Dork said it's over.**

Serious question: Are these phones on CSpire? Doesn't Jim Barksdale own CSpire?

Johnson85
02-15-2016, 09:39 AM

I find it hard to believe they would be that stupid. A burner phone is pretty damning evidence of intentionally flouting the NCAA rules and basically establishing that they premeditated about how they would like to the NCAA. Knowing that lying to the NCAA is one of the few things they are still somewhat serious about, why would you do that.

I have to believe they aren't that stupid until I see it in a NCAA report.

Uncivilengineer
02-15-2016, 09:39 AM
It they are burner phones, they are probably the off brand prepaid ones.

BeardoMSU
02-15-2016, 09:42 AM
I find it hard to believe they would be that stupid. A burner phone is pretty damning evidence of intentionally flouting the NCAA rules and basically establishing that they premeditated about how they would like to the NCAA. Knowing that lying to the NCAA is one of the few things they are still somewhat serious about, why would you do that.

I agree with this.

Also, had they ever watched Breaking Bad, they'd know to break their burner into a bunch of pieces after using it**

Coach34
02-15-2016, 09:46 AM

Its not stupid- its actually smart. When the NCAA was interviewing Kimchee, Paidwell, Tonsil, and crew back in 2013- all they had to say was let us have a copy of your cell phone records for the last 6 months- and if they didnt provide them they could risk their eligibility. With a burner- there is nothing damning on their personal phone records.

RC3
02-15-2016, 09:47 AM
It they are burner phones, they are probably the off brand prepaid ones.

Well yeah since that's the very definition of a burner loll

QuadrupleOption
02-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Jim Barksdale doesn't own C Spire, but I beleive the owners are Ole Miss fans.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Couple of questions.

Do burner phones have voice mail?
Do burner phones log the phone number dialed or call received?

If no voice mail, no evidence of an actual voice of the person calling.
If no log record, no record of number dialed or received.

Heck, even if logs numbers, if OM coaches use a burner phone, they can just throw theirs away.
NCAA no subpoena power, so can't subpoena records from carrier. Is that right?

C-spire owned by diehard Rebs so no help from them.

Barksdale does not own C-Spire for previous poster.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2016, 09:54 AM

Pisses me off that's who my service is with then.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Its not stupid- its actually smart. When the NCAA was interviewing Kimchee, Paidwell, Tonsil, and crew back in 2013- all they had to say was let us have a copy of your cell phone records for the last 6 months- and if they didnt provide them they could risk their eligibility. With a burner- there is nothing damning on their personal phone records.

Yea but if OM coaches had the burner phones instead of the players then the NCAA still had nothing. Oh that's just a girl I talk to & the # isn't tied up to a university.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Couple of questions.

Heck, even if logs numbers, if OM coaches use a burner phone, they can just throw theirs away.

They will have most, if not all, of the features of standard phones. There will be a log of all calls made/received and to/from.

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Theoretically of course, they could deliver the burner phones so the kids know that anyone who calls them is connected to the program, without having to explain to player X that they're connected. It's a trusted phone line and only trusted people will have the number. Then, when someone calls and wants to talk about an offer, they know that the person on the other end got that number from someone connected. And when they say "I'd like to meet with you and your dad before you return to Starkville to discuss your future at Ole Miss" they're more likely to take the meeting invite. Especially if they're already in Oxford...

Remember, the only thing that's been rumored to have happened is that one or two guys didn't turn their phones in after a visit. If that's actually true, then maybe they're just handing them out during the visits. "Keep this on you so we can get in touch with you quickly. If it rings, answer it. No one else has this number except our people who know you're here." Then an offer is made.

It established a connection to the staff for a booster without having to really spell out that connection to the kids or parents.

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Couple of questions.

BUT....if two or three unconnected recruits tell the NCAA the same story and show them the same burner phone, does any of this matter?

Would it not then be reasonable to believe the recruits? The NCAA doesn't need "beyond a reasonable doubt proof" yet we continue to speak as if the do.

PassInterference
02-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Phone records are FOIA'able. What happens when Ole Miss can't account for phone calls made to and from these burner phones (because the staff also presumably has burner phones)?

Bah Bum Bummmmmm

Ole Miss could plead ignorance and claim they have no connection to those phones. But multiple recruits with the same story would be damming.

And so would questions about where those phones came from. Did a coach provide it? Did a booster provide it? If different staff and/or different boosters all gave burner phones to multiple players, that proves there is a coordinated effort to cheat, which is even more damming. It shows that The Network is real and that there is a serious Loss Of Institutional Control and not just a rouge booster.

Johnson85
02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

It's smart when you're dealing with a court of law with a burden of proof to meet. Dealing with the NCAA, anytime they give one to somebody not in the boat is serious exposure to them. The smartest way to do it is to have somebody not officially related to them provide the burner phone, or even give them cash to go get a burner phone, and then tell them to give that number to the UM coaches. To be really safe they should also probably give the number out to another couple of schools without telling them it's a burner. That leaves the UM coaches with plausible deniability, except that they as long as the burner phones keep records (which theuy presumably have to so that they can establish the charges), the records are going to show it's obvious that UM coaches were ignoring the limitations on contact. With one recruit telling them the phone came from UM, even if indirectly, and records showing that UM seemed to expect the contacts would remain hidden, that's probably enough for the NCAA's purposes to find UM to have intentionally violated the rules and been deceptive about it. WIth two recruits telling them that, that would probably be considered a slam dunk for the NCAA's purposes, even if the recruits couldn't tie the phone to somebody officially with UM.

I guess the only way I can imagine it is that everybody sort of already lives with this risk if they are recruiting with the big boys, with a dozen or more recruits each year that could rat them out. I guess if you're comfortable they won't rat you out for the $5k you paid them for coming to summer camp, you'd be comfortable they aren't going to rat you out for burner phones. Still a different level of paper trail for phone records versus a cash payment.

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 10:00 AM
NCAA does not have subpoena powers. Also, the calls coming into those phones aren't going to be coming from Freezus's house. It'll be coming from another burner, bought in Memphis or somewhere else, that was laid for in cash. Burner to burner. All cash. No subpoena power.

They'll be able to get messages and testimonial evidence. OM's lawyers will challenge it and say it's hearsay and speculation and threaten to sue the ever living hell out of the NCAA if they assume it's a violation without proof and bring sanctions against the coaching staff. I think OM knows they're going on probation, they may know that they can't stop an LOIC, but they can probably fight a show cause on Freeze or maybe even other staff members.

Jacksondevildog
02-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Coach, how much Info are you getting from secrant?

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Theoretically of course, they could deliver the burner phones so the kids know that anyone who calls them is connected to the program, without having to explain to player X that they're connected. It's a trusted phone line and only trusted people will have the number. Then, when someone calls and wants to talk about an offer, they know that the person on the other end got that number from someone connected. And when they say "I'd like to meet with you and your dad before you return to Starkville to discuss your future at Ole Miss" they're more likely to take the meeting invite. Especially if they're already in Oxford...

Remember, the only thing that's been rumored to have happened is that one or two guys didn't turn their phones in after a visit. If that's actually true, then maybe they're just handing them out during the visits. "Keep this on you so we can get in touch with you quickly. If it rings, answer it. No one else has this number except our people who know you're here." Then an offer is made.

It established a connection to the staff for a booster without having to really spell out that connection to the kids or parents.

I think you just nailed it. Every bit of this makes total sense and establishes a clear motive for the phones. The phones aren't so Freeze can talk to a croot more, they are so the "bag man" doesn't have to establish his identity in order to make a connection with the kid.

If the "bagman" never gives the kid his name, how can he or Ole Miss be implicated? The burner us used as a trusted person hotline.

Ralph
02-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Is there any information the burner phones are connected to OM coaching staff, or could it be boosters? If boosters they have plausible deniability. If coaching staff that's incredibly risky and quite brazen on their part.

Coach34
02-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Coach, how much Info are you getting from secrant?

zero

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Is there any information the burner phones are connected to OM coaching staff, or could it be boosters? If boosters they have plausible deniability. If coaching staff that's incredibly risky and quite brazen on their part.

Doesn't matter. If two or three croots have the same story, then the NCAA will go in dry.

mparkerfd20
02-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Nope he doesn't.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 10:15 AM
This

Remember, there are two ways to know it snowed last night in court: 1. you actually stayed up and saw it snow. 2. It wasn't snowing when you went to bed but when you woke up there was snow on the ground.

The first is proof and the second is highly likely. The NCAA doesn't need "beyond a shadow of doubt" proof. They just need to truly believe somethings happened

LOL This is so true- most of the time you wake up to find out there is snow on the ground and you find out school is cancelled

TrapGame
02-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Well, shit. The next time Jim Barksdale comes in for a checkup I'm going to ask him exactly why he has more money than God.

engie
02-15-2016, 10:22 AM
This deal doesn't pass the sniff test...

Ok -- so if they were smart enough to get these burner phones -- they are both talking on burners. Also, assuming they are iPhones, the purchasing party with any sense will setup the iCloud on the phone and thus have the ability to remote wipe the iPhone at the visit. So turning them in is nice -- but not totally necessary for them to still be virtually useless to the NCAA.

They would have to be dumber than I give them credit for for there to be any real evidence linking back to OM here.

confucius say
02-15-2016, 10:22 AM
All this talk of phones and a secret communications system gives a new meaning to the term "network" ***

STATEBALLIN
02-15-2016, 10:24 AM
So to get off track here just a litte. It seems to me that it isn't a question of whether or not they go on probation and are penalized, but more so a question of how severe the punish will be? Amirite?!

Really Clark?
02-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Well, shit. The next time Jim Barksdale comes in for a checkup I'm going to ask him exactly why he has more money than God.

Read his bio and you will see why. He recently built a direct link fiber optic system between Chicago and NY trading centers. Increasing the speed of information between the two sites by 3 milliseconds and allowed him to charge 8-10 times the going rates to use his connection. He used his own money and did it in secret.

confucius say
02-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Ok -- so if they were smart enough to get these burner phones -- they are both talking on burners. Also, assuming they are iPhones, the purchasing party with any sense will setup the iCloud on the phone and thus have the ability to remote wipe the iPhone at the visit. So turning them in is nice -- but not totally necessary for them to still be virtually useless to the NCAA.

They would have to be dumber than I give them credit for for there to be any real evidence linking back to OM here.

If burner phones exist (have no idea if they do) and multiple recruits say they got them from om, that's all the evidence ncaa will need. This isn't a court of law. Kinda like if your wife finds you with a "wiped" burner phone given to you by another woman, good luck using the excuse that there is no evidence on it tying you to an affair.

spbdawg
02-15-2016, 10:29 AM
#

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 10:30 AM

I agree with you, but if the two or three unconnected recruits tell the NCAA the same story, show the NCAA the phones, and show the NCAA that both phones are wiped clean, is that also not a ton of evidence?

The NCAA doesn't need a smoking gun, yet we continue to discuss this as if they do.

jumbo
02-15-2016, 10:34 AM

I have a hard time believing that they got burner iPhones.

msstate7
02-15-2016, 10:35 AM

Probably just iPhone 3's**

7dawg
02-15-2016, 10:35 AM
With burners they would still need to be very clever if they were ever investigated for this. The coaches would still need to call their home or legit cells to show a record of calls made to the recruit that was legit. The NCAA could still request their phone records and if there were not any calls from UM coaches that should raise some eyebrows. I honestly doubt any of those coaches are clever enough to make calls to their homes then call the burner too. Maybe the burner was used during the dead period or when calls were not allowed.

ShotgunDawg
02-15-2016, 10:37 AM
With burners they would still need to be very clever if they were ever investigated for this. The coaches would still need to call their home or legit cells to show a record of calls made to the recruit that was legit. The NCAA could still request their phone records and if there were not any calls from UM coaches that should raise some eyebrows. I honestly doubt any of those coaches are clever enough to make calls to their homes then call the burner too. Maybe the burner was used during the dead period or when calls were not allowed.

I think talking to coaches is only about 20% of the reason for the burners.

msstate7
02-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Didn't Hugh get in trouble while an assistant for excessive contact with recruits? I could be dreaming this up...

TrapGame
02-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Didn't Hugh get in trouble while an assistant for excessive contact with recruits? I could be dreaming this up...

2006. Couldn't contact Memphis croots for a couple of weeks after.

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 10:39 AM
I believe AJ's phone was confiscated during class one day and the teacher redialed one of the incoming phone numbers on the burner phone......the other party answered and the teacher instantly recognized the other party as being associated with Ole Miss football.....I'm sure I read that story somewhere here.

I've heard this as well but can't remember where or from who at this point. So much crap flying around. By the time the dust settles, some of it will be true, some of it will be false, some of it that's actually flase will appear to be true, and some of it that's actually true will appear to be false.

I can tell you with certainty that there is close to a 0% chance the NCAA gets this factually correct, but that won't stop them from pushing for sanctions. The NCAA findings report on state was badly flawed. Lots of stuff was incorrect and incomplete. Some of it was way off...

RC3
02-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Some of the allegations in the NOA supposedly deal with some phone calls. Could be related

Ralph
02-15-2016, 10:40 AM
If burner phones exist (have no idea if they do) and multiple recruits say they got them from om, that's all the evidence ncaa will need. This isn't a court of law. Kinda like if your wife finds you with a "wiped" burner phone given to you by another woman, good luck using the excuse that there is no evidence on it tying you to an affair.

What keeps any school facing sanctions from pulling a Patriots Deflategate deal and having a court overrule sanctions? I'm just not familiar with the processes and can's and cant's

Jack Lambert
02-15-2016, 10:41 AM
NCAA does not have subpoena powers. Also, the calls coming into those phones aren't going to be coming from Freezus's house. It'll be coming from another burner, bought in Memphis or somewhere else, that was laid for in cash. Burner to burner. All cash. No subpoena power.

They'll be able to get messages and testimonial evidence. OM's lawyers will challenge it and say it's hearsay and speculation and threaten to sue the ever living hell out of the NCAA if they assume it's a violation without proof and bring sanctions against the coaching staff. I think OM knows they're going on probation, they may know that they can't stop an LOIC, but they can probably fight a show cause on Freeze or maybe even other staff members.

You know the NCAA does not have the same power as the legal folks but on the other hand they don't have the same innocent until proven guilty rules either. They can do pretty much what they want. They can believe what they want as well.

Really Clark?
02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
I know if I am getting burner phones for black op purposes, it would not be a smart phone with data and GPS capability. Voice and text only for the most basic phone.

Johnson85
02-15-2016, 10:59 AM
NCAA does not have subpoena powers.

They don't need subpoena powers, they just need the person responsible for the account to cooperate. But I wasn't thinking about the fact that the recruit wouldn't actually have access to the account, he'd just have possession of the actual phone. Doubt that would be sufficient to get the company to show him the phone records to justify charges.

So the burner phones pose pretty much no more risk than giving cash. You can only get in trouble if recruits roll on you, which obviously very few recruits want to get into since they probably like getting the extra benefits.

1bigdawg
02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Let's remember that the NCAA does to have to "prove" anything. If they "believe" someone is guilty and can charge them with something at cannot be disproven, then they can and will impose sanctions.

All of their fact finding is to help them determine how guilty someone is and who is most likely guilty. The thing about the UNM investigation that makes me think it will be bad for them is that they kept being blatant about their cheating while they were being investigated.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 11:24 AM

What other ways can you use burner phones? When you buy one can you register it under someone like a fake name or school? There is def smoke here if 3 recruits in 3 different states got one of these. I would think they could find out what store they were bought from Like Walmart in oxford or a certain cell phone store, they have to be in inventory

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Remember Renardo. NCAA ruled him ineligible until his family turned over private financial records. They may not have subpoena power but they sure as hell have you can sit your ass on the bench until we get our way power.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
What other ways can you use burner phones? When you buy one can you register it under someone like a fake name or school? There is def smoke here if 3 recruits in 3 different states got one of these. I would think they could find out what store they were bought from Like Walmart in oxford or a certain cell phone store, they have to be in inventory

I worked for a freight company several years ago and when a store got a shipment of say car stereos the Bill of lading had each serial number listed. That way if something was missing they could tell what item it is.. I cleared shipments through customs I know the serial number is on those forms and phones do have serial numbers. I know you can trace it to a location at least

Really Clark?
02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Remember Renardo. NCAA ruled him ineligible until his family turned over private financial records. They may not have subpoena power but they sure as hell have you can sit your ass on the bench until we get our way power.

Yeah but with coaches and staff members it's different. Refusing to turn over information requested is automatic impeding and/or lying to investigators. That's Level 1 violations (no matter how minor the infraction they are asking about) and you bring show cause and termination into play. If they ask for phone records the staff has to produce them. They only way to get out from that is if they can prove without a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't a number connected to them in any form. If you have multiple witnesses saying that number xyz was always picked up by abc staff member or booster, then the NCAA has to decide if that is credible enough to lay a charge of violations.

ETA. Here is a minor example. A staff member gave a kid a $100 gift card, per the player, that is a minor impermissible benefit. If the staffer refuses to produce a receipt or admit that they did so, then THAT could be a Level 1 major infraction. It's a minor violation but not cooperating makes it a major violation. And they will hammer a school or at least the staffer for that.

thf24
02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
You know the NCAA does not have the same power as the legal folks but on the other hand they don't have the same innocent until proven guilty rules either. They can do pretty much what they want. They can believe what they want as well.

They've also shown many times that they operate on the Al Capone methodology, where if they can prove just a few things, they'll bust a program for a lot more that they only think they did.

Big4Dawg
02-15-2016, 11:33 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Anyone remember this?

And buy burners. Lots of burners.

"It's the bat phone. Everybody has a bat phone. Buy some in a gas station out of town, use 'em for a while, toss 'em. The worst part was convincing my wife it wasn't so I could carry on an affair, because I wouldn't let her use it or see who I was talking to."

Burners are seasonal and used mostly around the height of recruiting season, when local bag men need to communicate quickly with other shadow boosters across the state and region higher up the fiscal chain. Later on they'll be used to communicate directly with active players. But calls are often made to a person's primary number, and in a pinch basic code-talking will suffice.

Westdawg
02-15-2016, 11:39 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Anyone remember this?

well................when your own bagman a few years back gives the blueprint, don't think they (NCAA) won't start looking at it real hard and determine how to best attack their ways. getting taken down by their own egos and talking too much in the past. it's how it always happens

B
O
O
M
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really Clark?
02-15-2016, 11:40 AM

Anyone remember this?

And notice the author of the article.

Big4Dawg
02-15-2016, 11:42 AM
"It's a small group. If you grow up in the state, you end up knowing folks. It's really that simple. But that won't stop them from trying to bury your ass when it gets down to it. A few years back, we were fighting hard for a kid in their backyard. We went for a full year with the family, thought we had it wrapped up. Still thought we had it done the night before Signing Day. He liked our coaches. But the family keeps dragging it and dragging it. Late that night I get a call, and it's the player on the phone, the kid himself. You could tell he was nervous. He said, ‘Mr. [name], I talked to my mama, and we decided that $70,000 and we're going with you, if you can promise us $70,000 tonight.' I knew right away we were being recorded, and I knew the asshole down there who had set it up. I knew him personally. They had him. That part was done. But they wanted to get someone on tape to try and turn it over to the NCAA. So I said, 'Well gosh [player name], we'd love to see you here next season, but we just don't do that kind of thing.' Then I hung up."

I always wondered who this was....this sounds like something Mullen would do. haha

TrapGame
02-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Good find B4D.

All three recruits landed at ole miss. All three recruits had burner phones w/ the same numbers. That's all the NCAA needs.

oldjoedawg
02-15-2016, 11:44 AM
In the late 1960's and early '70s Barksdale worked for IBM in Memphis..he was a sales rep for them and sold the company for whom I worked our punched card stock and continuous forms for computer printing. That dude has come a long way....LOL Class of '62

Read his bio and you will see why. He recently built a direct link fiber optic system between Chicago and NY trading centers. Increasing the speed of information between the two sites by 3 milliseconds and allowed him to charge 8-10 times the going rates to use his connection. He used his own money and did it in secret.

defiantdog
02-15-2016, 11:47 AM
You get it

QuadrupleOption
02-15-2016, 11:54 AM

From the interwebs:

"James Love Barksdale is an American executive who served as the president and CEO of Netscape Communications Corporation from January 1995 until the company merged with AOL in March 1999."

That'd explain it.

Spiderman
02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
I said last week I had always been told the coaches used burners, since they have been made available. Under the rules, every call has to be logged for the compliance office.

Burners get around that.

Still don't see why the kid would need a burner. He can legally call a coach any time on a clean coaches phone.

Burners are also used to text, mainly "Call me 911" or for under the table crap, from coach to player.

Player then calls coach's clean phone.

More interesting than burners is rumors of the new "Currency". Passwords to Paypal and like accounts.

Order from Amazon and Ebay, pay by Paypal. Only the Paypal is in no way connected, or traceable to to you.

Free items to keep or sell.

Online currency, impossible to trace without supena power.

confucius say
02-15-2016, 12:07 PM
What keeps any school facing sanctions from pulling a Patriots Deflategate deal and having a court overrule sanctions? I'm just not familiar with the processes and can's and cant's

That court was only upholding, or not, the arbitration bt the nfl and patriots. There was no lawsuit. The nfl and it's teams have an arbitration agreement between them for those kind of disputes. The ncaa and it's teams do not. A university would have to file suit, which opens up formal discovery. No school wants that.

maroonmania
02-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Plus the NCAA, once proving you guilty of SOME allegations, has GREAT leeway regarding the punishment. They can convict you on what they've shown you've done and absolutely can punish you on what they think you've done.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
They will have most, if not all, of the features of standard phones. There will be a log of all calls made/received and to/from.

I think they are just regular phones just prepaid- that was stupid to give recruits a burner phone when all they had to do is get a burner for themselves and if they called the recruits personal phone it wouldnt be traced back to them

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Couple of things -

Phones leave digital trails. Internet, Apps, etc - we live in an era where both political parties can trace individual voter issues to a specific household member. You don't give a kid a shiny new toy that his friends will see said toy and not expect his little egotistical self to brag about it.

Human nature is to brag on your own sense of self-importance - this is why we as a nation do such extensive vetting, or are supposed to, on those hired to execute sensitive duties. Handing out your achilles heal -flagrant rules violation with major security holes in it - to a kid you can't control in crunch time is both arrogant and monumentally STUPID. I mean if they are holding free BJ's and cash being cut off over them it will work only to the extent the kid's parents or coaches do not intervene - or a Saban. At that point the NCAA can turn that method against you. What is unknown to us is how LONG in the process the NCAA had the phone and how long the kids cooperated.

Think about that. If those kids or their parents have been assisting the NCAA for months not just weeks then UNM just walked into the lions den. The NCAA has rules they have to abide by to prove their cases but as noted, it is not the standard of reasonable doubt or even that of a civil court.

When a kid gets confronted with minimal evidence, along with his parents and high school administration, they are all going to protect the kid, not the suitor - and that means they willingly give up the info. The NCAA holds the kid's athletic and Academic/Life future in their hands. "Cooperate or you will never be eligible to compete in any NCAA athletic program" UNM can't protect the kid at this point.

If these phones were given up under this type off circumstance then UNM is indeed having the moment when you realize your last airplane engine just turned off in flight. Happy landings!

Jack Lambert
02-15-2016, 12:42 PM
All you need to know is there's a reason Terrorist use these type of phones.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 12:44 PM
So can they be traced to what cell tower they used?

Swami Dawg
02-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Till now I have not been heard of this reasoning.

Why is it for to being necessary to trace calls and numbers?

Is it not for impermissible to be giving the phone itself? If many recruits are to be saying they had been given electronic goods (phone, iPad, laptop, xbox) that in itself is being a violation. No need in finding who calling or texting who.

Perhaps it is not being as bad violation as extra contactings but phone by itself is breaking of the rules.

Swami

confucius say
02-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Is it not for impermissible to be giving the phone itself? If many recruits are to be saying they had been given electronic goods (phone, iPad, laptop, xbox) that in itself is being a violation. No need in finding who calling or texting who.

Perhaps it is not being as bad violation as extra contactings but phone by itself is breaking of the rules.

Swami

You for to being right, swami

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Well beyond that. Just depends how much the NCAA is willing to spend to have them traced all over the net as well as their actual calls. And if any of those kids used them for social media - OH MY

engie
02-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Everything on them can be reviewed -- by governing bodies with subpoena power and unlimited funds. Wiping them doesn't clear their drive imprints. I sincerely doubt the NCAA has anyone in a technology forensic position however. And even if they did, it's a lot of resources to dedicate.

Burners calling burners isn't going to give them much. The players saying "OM gave us burners" may get them further slapped on the wrist or further the case for LOIC -- but it's not nearly as cut and dry as having the actual evidence existing on the phone. A smart "criminal" in this case is going to give them a good enough phone that they(as the "contract holder" which if they are smart still doesn't tie directly to them individually) both can trace and remotely wipe. Providing prepaid iphones, for instance, gives the provider damn near unlimited power if they were tech savvy on the front end. Can spy on the recruit to an insane extent without them knowing. And still have the ability to "burn" them remotely at a moment's notice.

The phones might provide another piece here to help get them -- but they are most likely not smoking guns if they were done by the pros. Then again, they've been sloppy and lazy lately -- so hopefully they didn't take the necessary precautions to properly insulate themselves, and will thus fry for it. One can hope -- just shouldn't expect -- IMO.

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Swami

Wise, but the more details one has the more violations and number of occurrences can be traced.

More evidence eliminates opportunities to deny.

This brings more opportunities to punish

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Everything on them can be reviewed -- by governing bodies with subpoena power and unlimited funds. Wiping them doesn't clear their drive imprints. I sincerely doubt the NCAA has anyone in a technology forensic position however. And even if they did, it's a lot of resources to dedicate.

Burners calling burners isn't going to give them much. The players saying "OM gave us burners" may get them further slapped on the wrist or further the case for LOIC -- but it's not nearly as cut and dry as having the actual evidence existing on the phone. A smart "criminal" in this case is going to give them a good enough phone that they(as the "contract holder" which if they are smart still doesn't tie directly to them individually) both can trace and remotely wipe. Providing prepaid iphones, for instance, gives the provider damn near unlimited power if they were tech savvy on the front end. Can spy on the recruit to an insane extent without them knowing. And still have the ability to "burn" them remotely at a moment's notice.

The phones might provide another piece here to help get them -- but they are most likely not smoking guns if they were done by the pros. Then again, they've been sloppy and lazy lately -- so hopefully they didn't take the necessary precautions to properly insulate themselves, and will thus fry for it. One can hope -- just shouldn't expect -- IMO.

Engie - it does not take near the resources many people think. Depends on NCAA intent, will, and budget. Yes there are some areas only law enforcement can go. Depending on use though there are ways those in the public domain can accomplish a great deal more than many think.

RTO Dawg
02-15-2016, 01:11 PM
NCAA is investigating what benefits the burners provided...if they untie that knot...watch out

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 01:13 PM
You can't call your cell phone company right now and ask for a log of your own text messages without a court order. It's too costly and they won't provide it. They can provide a call/text log, with the other number, but not he actual messages (voice or text) without court papers.

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 01:20 PM
You can't call your cell phone company right now and ask for a log of your own text messages without a court order. It's too costly and they won't provide it. They can provide a call/text log, with the other number, but not he actual messages (voice or text) without court papers.

But you can associate the numbers - and if any social media app has been used it will open up other avenues. If your name relates to your way of earning a paycheck you know how detailed big data can go. All in non-legal channels. Quite sure the NCAA can access the same companies the politicos of the world use.

ckDOG
02-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the existence of burner phones is as big as the content that may or may not be there? If you prove they exist and the source (not that hard is you can make a couple unrelated former recruits sing), you have proven there is a known and intentional plan to skirt the rules by a program or its booster network. NCAA has their info at that point - anything beyond is gravy.

Billy17
02-15-2016, 01:42 PM

I agree they have been sloppy and lazy and letting a recruit keep his burner shows how stupid they are- I mean its bad when our site knows more than there fan sites

Coach34
02-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the existence of burner phones is as big as the content that may or may not be there? If you prove they exist and the source (not that hard is you can make a couple unrelated former recruits sing), you have proven there is a known and intentional plan to skirt the rules by a program or its booster network. NCAA has their info at that point - anything beyond is gravy.

ding ding ding

Really Clark?
02-15-2016, 01:44 PM

They have the info that allows them to tell the staff one thing. Produce the logs and phone records. You don't and its Level 1 obstruction and that is an aggravated offense that carries min and max penalties that they won't no part of. At a min you can get 2-3 year bowl bans, 25%+ scholarship reductions, 2%+ of financial penalties, 5 years+ show cause, 40%+ game suspension to HC through show cause, 4 years + probation. Now they don't have to use all of the penalties but which ever penalties they enforce, these are the min they would get.

turkish
02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
If we're talking MSU, I think that's how the NCAA would treat it. I'm not convinced yet that everybody else has to play by the same rules.

32 Dive
02-15-2016, 02:11 PM
All there needs to be, one would assume, is a common thread between these burner phones. If they were THAT sloppy, they'll get nailed. But one would reason, that each burner phone (on #TheNetwork end) would not be used to contact more than one burner phone (on the recruit's end). IF there is a number, that appears on all of these phones, and there is a somewhat logical tie-in...

Surely, with all that goes on, they wouldn't be THAT careless.

Now, I'm skimming over this rather quickly. SO, I may have gotten lost in the details. Are the phones allegedly from UM Staffers, or #TheNetwork?

Percho
02-15-2016, 02:19 PM

All you need to know about C spire

Cellular South, Inc. began its wireless service on the Mississippi Gulf Coast on February 4, 1988, using AMPS technology. Former football quarterback Archie Manning made the company?s inaugural call from Gulfport, Mississippi to then U.S. Representative Trent Lott in Washington, D.C.[5] Wikipedia

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 02:19 PM
But you can associate the numbers - and if any social media app has been used it will open up other avenues. If your name relates to your way of earning a paycheck you know how detailed big data can go. All in non-legal channels. Quite sure the NCAA can access the same companies the politicos of the world use.

They can't use anything that's not publicly available other than what people turn over to them. They can purchase data or use lexusnexus, mill through old school records, etc... but they have as much standing as our local HOA to go into a company and ask for private records.

There are some ways they can piece things together, but I don't expect any "smoking gun" scenarios here. As another poster said, the existence of the guns is big. They'll contain little to no info though.

Dawgowar
02-15-2016, 02:23 PM
They can't use anything that's not publicly available other than what people turn over to them. They can purchase data or use lexusnexus, mill through old school records, etc... but they have as much standing as our local HOA to go into a company and ask for private records.

There are some ways they can piece things together, but I don't expect any "smoking gun" scenarios here. As another poster said, the existence of the guns is big. They'll contain little to no info though.

Don't get me wrong, happy with just the known existence of these, but would love to see the trail run to the coaching staff. Not a requirement but it would be nice.

sleepy dawg
02-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Pisses me off that's who my service is with then.

C Spire does not have burner phones. Please do not lump C Spire in with this mess.

JDog13
02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Are we sure they weren't Obama phones?

Political Hack
02-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Are we sure they weren't Obama phones?

I love when people give Obama credit for something Bush started. W was such a bleeding heart liberal. Didn't veto a single bill for 6 years. Spend, spend, spend... signed every check that crossed his desk for 6 straight years. Unreal. It's amazing he didn't send Obama phones to all the third world countries.

Jack Lambert
02-15-2016, 02:44 PM
I love when people give Obama credit for something Bush started. W was such a bleeding heart liberal. Didn't veto a single bill for 6 years. Spend, spend, spend... signed every check that crossed his desk for 6 straight years. Unreal. It's amazing he didn't send Obama phones to all the third world countries.

I think Regan started it but it was to allow everyone access to a land line to make emergency phone calls.

Saltydog
02-15-2016, 02:47 PM
the gospel to some unrepentant recruits.........Nothing to see here...........

smootness
02-15-2016, 02:57 PM
I agree with you, but if the two or three unconnected recruits tell the NCAA the same story, show the NCAA the phones, and show the NCAA that both phones are wiped clean, is that also not a ton of evidence?

The NCAA doesn't need a smoking gun, yet we continue to discuss this as if they do.

You seem to be the only one who understands this. The NCAA doesn't need 'real evidence'. They've proven this time and time again. Once they decide something happened, that's all that is needed. There is no entity for whom they produce and present evidence.

Dawgtini
02-15-2016, 03:01 PM

and even with court papers they do not do it. If the welfare of a minor was involved they may.

JDog13
02-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Wut

RougeDawg
02-15-2016, 04:08 PM

This all day. If they are stupid enough to actually hand out burner phones they aren't smart enough to use wipeable iPhones. Which one is it?

RougeDawg
02-15-2016, 05:26 PM

This all day. If they are stupid enough to actually hand out burner phones they aren't smart enough to use wipeable iPhones. Which one is it?

RougeDawg
02-15-2016, 06:20 PM
the gospel to some unrepentant recruits.........Nothing to see here...........

Fearing for blue chip souls requires direct lines of communication with the messiah.

RougeDawg
02-15-2016, 06:31 PM
A little late on the thread but the NCAA has linked these burners and allegations to multiple signing classes, which in firm is the missing link between Bucky And his knowledge of everything including the fraud. Saunders squealed like a pig and spilled every bean in the jar on Bucky's tactics. Only problem is the NCAA cannot act on statements alone. Now that they have multiple burners in possession they are connecting the dots back to the Beaver Dam. That's why coach and others are saying that the NCAA is working on the show cause. Since Bucky has not been caught in the act nor admitted, the NCAA is using allegations from multiple schools and these phones to connect the dots to the recruiting coordinator sandwiched in between the other two RC's who have been fired and given show causes. He is trying to deny and defect the allegations but there are messages on these burner phones from the beav himself that only he would know. Only problem is bucky was also using a burner so the dot connecting is taking longer than it would had he used his own phone. This plan would work if these handful of recruits had not kept the phones.

Either way Bucky better hope he didn't use up all those prayers on 5* guys. From what I've heard the NCAA has on him, he's gonna need every last one of them if he ever wants to coach again. Oh and if the NCAA can coerce Chris Jones into talking he'll be gone as well.

ILOATHEBears
02-15-2016, 06:32 PM

Are a u a Liberal political hack?

Coach34
02-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Are a u a Liberal political hack?

Hack banged Hillary Clinton for a promotion a decade ago

Jack Lambert
02-15-2016, 06:51 PM

That's taking one for the team. I rather **** a crawfish hole.

turkish
02-15-2016, 06:58 PM
and if the NCAA can coerce Chris Jones into talking he'll be gone as well.
This irks me.

ILOATHEBears
02-15-2016, 07:32 PM

That's one Hack of a promotion

Dolphus Raymond
02-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Damn, what does a person's political leanings have to do with Ole Miss taking it up the ass from the NCAA? Look, for what it's worth, politically, I fall somewhere between Marshal Tito and Fidel Castro but what the hell does that have to do with Ole Miss burning in the NCAA's version of hell? Oh and by the way F**k Ole Miss.

TrapGame
02-15-2016, 07:41 PM

So, Hack's a lesbian?

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2016, 07:51 PM
So, Hack's a lesbian?

Hillary's a woman?

ILOATHEBears
02-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Damn, what does a person's political leanings have to do with Ole Miss taking it up the ass from the NCAA? Look, for what it's worth, politically, I fall somewhere between Marshal Tito and Fidel Castro but what the hell does that have to do with Ole Miss burning in the NCAA's version of hell? Oh and by the way F**k Ole Miss.

It was a joke. It took about 5 pages in the thread before someone basically said maybe OMs burner phones were Obama phones. Referencing the infamous Obama phone from a few years back and Hack laughed at how people blast Obama for the phone program that W put in place. Hence me asking the question. All in fun

Reason2succeed
02-15-2016, 08:10 PM
It was a joke. It took about 5 pages in the thread before someone basically said maybe OMs burner phones were Obama phones. Referencing the infamous Obama phone from a few years back and Hack laughed at how people blast Obama for the phone program that W put in place. Hence me asking the question. All in fun

It's not funny. Sure it's all fun and games until people from the other side respond. There's a reason why we have a political forum. Here it's all about the bulldawgs and the OM burning in the hell they have built for themselves.

nicks_hammer
02-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Hillary's a woman?

I about chocked on my drink!!!

nicks_hammer
02-15-2016, 08:14 PM
It's not funny. Sure it's all fun and games until people from the other side respond. There's a reason why we have a political forum. Here it's all about the bulldawgs and the OM burning in the hell they have built for themselves.

Damn dude, why so serious? I'm beginning to question where your loyalty's are at.

ILOATHEBears
02-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Maybe u should carefully select what u read. If it bothers u don't read it

HSVDawg
02-15-2016, 08:45 PM
You seem to be the only one who understands this. The NCAA doesn't need 'real evidence'. They've proven this time and time again. Once they decide something happened, that's all that is needed. There is no entity for whom they produce and present evidence.

I think this is half right. The NCAA can certainly infer evidence based on partial findings (and by "partial findings" I mean a he said / she said can suffice). However, its extremely difficult and easy to dispute a charge if there is no closed loop. By that, I mean whoever has the phone in hand has to be able to name the person that gave it to them, and that person has to be a real individual. So, if an actual coach (even off-field coach) or booster who discloses his real identity provides the phone, then OM could be screwed. But, if neither of those situation occurs, its much more difficult. There has never been an NOA stating "recruit was provided prepaid cellular phone by a booster who could not be determined". It's too speculative and won't hold up to the infractions committee, and I think OM's powers that be are probably aware of that.

fader2103
02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Just so for the people who don't know. If you have the right program. You can download info on phones that tell you what texts say. Also if people added names to numbers it will show. Even if you delete stuff off phones it can still be redownloaded. Nothing ever is really deleted

mstatefan91
02-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Just so for the people who don't know. If you have the right program. You can download info on phones that tell you what texts say. Also if people added names to numbers it will show. Even if you delete stuff off phones it can still be redownloaded. Nothing ever is really deleted

Not true. Just ask Tom Brady how he did it...***

State82
02-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Stark and Trap are making me waste good whiskey

Reason2succeed
02-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Wow, two posters with collectively 101 posts are going to try to school me on how to use the message board and even question my loyalty. Wow?!? Like I said keep political stuff on the political forum. This forum is about sports. Period.

nicks_hammer
02-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Wow, two posters with collectively 101 posts are going to try to school me on how to use the message board and even question my loyalty. Wow?!? Like I said keep political stuff on the political forum. This forum is about sports. Period.

Awe now sugar, are you having feelings of inadequacy? Yes I'm having fun at your expense.

nicks_hammer
02-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Sometimes the lines between politics and passion are tainted. This is Mississippi we are talking about, politics and sports are intermixed. "good ole boys"

ILOATHEBears
02-15-2016, 09:12 PM

U have to be a Hillary supporter acting this way. Cmon man. Loosen up...

nicks_hammer
02-15-2016, 09:16 PM

I think someone got their panties in a wad.

RougeDawg
02-16-2016, 09:43 AM

Fancy? Is that you?

Political Hack
02-16-2016, 09:54 AM
I'll vote for whoever forces Ole Miss to obey the law.

dawgs
02-16-2016, 10:04 AM

I'm with you. I'm also far more liberal than most of this board, and every time I see someone casually toss out a liberal/democrat/Obama themed bashing, it takes some restraint not to turn it into a full on political flame war. I avoid using republican/conservative themed bashing because I know it'd probably derail the conversation.

Jack Lambert
02-16-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm with you. I'm also far more liberal than most of this board, and every time I see someone casually toss out a liberal/democrat/Obama themed bashing, it takes some restraint not to turn it into a full on political flame war. I avoid using republican/conservative themed bashing because I know it'd probably derail the conversation.

So would you do her or not?

Jack Lambert
02-16-2016, 10:11 AM
So, Hack's a lesbian?

If I was a women I guarantee I would be a lesbian.

BrunswickDawg
02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
You are like my friend who has always said he is a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

TrapGame
02-16-2016, 10:22 AM

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

And to swing this thread back on the rails...

If the NCAA can connect just a few dots they can show that this was a collusion to influence recruits far beyond just a hundred dollar handshake. This is some organized top to bottom cheating. Thus, show cause to Freeze and severe penalties on om to set an example that this level of cheating will not be tolerated.

ETA: Damn, Bruns stole my thunder.

engie
02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/3015/TMrzVN.gif

Stolen from Secrant, but just needed to be on here somewhere

Really Clark?
02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
I do find the burner phone deal kind of funny, in the sense that has been brought up in a couple of big cases recently, on both sides. Tyndell and his assitants used them but gave them to HS coaches mainly I believe. Tyndell also use his mom's phone to make illegal calls. Funny. "Hey mom can use up 10,000 min on your phone. I'll pay you back."

Also, the NCAA gave Shiparo a burner to use while he was in prison. So they know all about the burner uses.

Mjoelner34
02-16-2016, 10:42 AM

http://i.imgur.com/998Vd63.jpg

sandwolf
02-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Honestly, I had pretty much chalked the whole burner phone theory up as being nothing more than internet legend....it just sounded a little far fetched to me. Steve has also been of the opinion that there probably wasn't anything to it.....then, this morning he posted this:

I have been very skeptical about this burner phone deal, but last night I was texted by someone I trust who believes there is something to it.

So it is at least being discussed by more people than just the folks on this site.....

Dawgtini
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
So it is at least being discussed by more people than just the folks on this site.....
Yee of little faith.... **

dawgs
02-16-2016, 01:31 PM
So would you do her or not?

Nah, I unfortunately lived in DC for 4.5 years, hate the political bullshit, and don't really find many (any?) high level politicians to be attractive.

sandwolf
02-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Yee of little faith.... **

Haha, I definitely try to approach any information that gets posted on the message boards with a degree of cynicism......especially when it comes to Ole Miss getting hammered by the NCAA.

BeastMan
11-21-2016, 10:25 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Jv4Te8YylM3Pa/giphy.gif

RougeDawg
11-21-2016, 10:30 AM
This thread brings up a question. Where has Engie/Engine gone? Banished to purgatory?

msstate7
11-21-2016, 11:00 AM
This thread brings up a question. Where has Engie/Engine gone? Banished to purgatory?

He's still on SPS. Not sure why he's no longer here

Really Clark?
11-21-2016, 11:01 AM

He is on sixpack and posts there a good bit

shannondawg
11-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Didn't always agree with Engie, but I enjoyed reading his posts. But almost goes for everyone on here.

EngDawg
11-21-2016, 11:22 AM

He got banned over the whole C34 John Cohen deal back at the start of baseball season

msstate7
11-21-2016, 11:26 AM
He got banned over the whole C34 John Cohen deal back at the start of baseball season
Was that when C34 wanted Cohen fired? Funny we won the sec the same year

Dawgology
11-21-2016, 11:27 AM
I agree with this.

Also, had they ever watched Breaking Bad, they'd know to break their burner into a bunch of pieces after using it**

Burner phones were very fragile on Breaking Bad. They must have been made of glass.

lamont
11-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Engie is not banned

TUSK
11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
I agree with this.

Say my name, Beardo....

EngDawg
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Engie is not banned

Maybe it was temporary or something. All I know is that he came on SPS that night saying that he got banned on ED and I haven't seen him here since.