PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Bourbon from CO, and rum casks?

SapperDawg
02-13-2016, 09:59 AM
We had a short, but informative tasting today I think you guys may appreciate - no pics this time.

First up: Breckenridge Bourbon. Hailing from Colorado, from my readings this has been a very well received, generally highly rated bourbon. We didn't care for it. Great nose with a creamy, thick mouthfeel - there was little to no finish. I am hoping some air time brings this one around, as it is getting dumped in the decanter on Monday. At $50 a bottle, this one is a clear pass right now.

Second: Angel's Envy Rye finished in rum casks. I know some of you are rum drinkers, so here is the up front - you cannot go wrong with this. Great whiskey, with an awesome finish. Creamy, but much lighter mouthfeel than the Breckenridge. Really enjoyed this one much more that I was expecting. Pricy at over $70 a bottle, this one is definitely worth at spot on the shelf.

Third: Henry McKenna 10 year old. This one is Heaven Hill Distillery juice, and has been floating around my cabinet for about two years now. At first, this was not one of the better pours I can say we had, however, it has really come around after revisiting this over the last few months. At $30 a bottle, I would happily put this bottle in my collection of 10 year olds.