PDA

View Full Version : For the folks with good info on the baseball team

GTHOM
02-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Just wondering what ya'll expect out of this years team, last year cant happen again in my opinion. No excuse to be that bad at baseball at MSU

engie
02-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Host or the year is not a success.

Last year won't happen again or we will be searching for a new coach...

Tools are in place, including schedule, to be a borderline national seed.

CadaverDawg
02-11-2016, 02:56 PM
2 seed at absolute worst.

bulldogcountry1
02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
I tabulated all the spring scrimmage hitting data and got some very interesting numbers. Here are some of the notable batting averages:

Lowe - .429
Alexander - .300
Gordon - .278
Marrero - .273
Mangum - .273
Robson - .250
Gridley - .250
Humphreys - .238
Brown - .150
Collins - .091

TEAM - .248

bulldogcountry1
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
No sign of Holland. I thought he was supposed to be healthy. if he doesn't get some ABs this weekend, then I don't see how he will be ready for live pitching opening weekend.

Rooker only had a few ABs at the start and has been out with a minor foot injury.

mparkerfd20
02-11-2016, 04:43 PM
I tabulated all the spring scrimmage hitting data and got some very interesting numbers. Here are some of the notable batting averages:

Lowe - .429
Alexander - .300
Gordon - .278
Marrero - .273
Mangum - .273
Robson - .250
Gridley - .250
Humphreys - .238
Brown - .150
Collins - .091

TEAM - .248

Either we have excellent pitching or that isn't very good. I figure it's the latter.

Homedawg
02-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Either we have excellent pitching or that isn't very good. I figure it's the latter.

Two things, 1, I think our pitching is good. 2, remember everyone is batting. So the team 248 is inclusive of people that won't get to play. Our lesser pitchers get about an inning a week. Our lesser position players bat every day. Now, we aren't going to be a great offensive club. Don't see how that's possible. But we should be a much better all around club.

Ralph
02-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Interesting the top 5 are newcomers except Gordon whom is a RS freshman. What's up with Collins numbers is he injured?

mparkerfd20
02-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Two things, 1, I think our pitching is good. 2, remember everyone is batting. So the team 248 is inclusive of people that won't get to play. Our lesser pitchers get about an inning a week. Our lesser position players bat every day. Now, we aren't going to be a great offensive club. Don't see how that's possible. But we should be a much better all around club.

Hope you're right. I've learned not to get my hopes up that we will be a 'good' offensive club. After last year I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach. I think we'll be much improved. If not, Cohen WILL be gone.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 05:45 PM
No sign of Holland. I thought he was supposed to be healthy. if he doesn't get some ABs this weekend, then I don't see how he will be ready for live pitching opening weekend.

Rooker only had a few ABs at the start and has been out with a minor foot injury.

I feel the same way about Holland. I think Stovall starts at second. Same with Kruger and Marrero with Marrero starting at catcher.

Homedawg
02-11-2016, 05:49 PM
I feel the same way about Holland. I think Stovall starts at second. Same with Kruger and Marrero with Marrero starting at catcher.

Kruger has arm trouble. He isn't an option right now.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 05:49 PM

I think how well we hit is going to be based a lot on how the freshmen do. That's certainly not something we can rely on. We should get more production from Lowe compared to Rea, Collins, Humphreys, and Rooker than we did last year though.

dawgoneyall
02-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Just wondering what ya'll expect out of this years team, last year cant happen again in my opinion. No excuse to be that bad at baseball at MSU

Regional at the least.

Super Regional I expect.

louisvilledawg
02-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Is humphreys a bust? he's a career .245 hitter with only 6 homers. Hopefully he's worked on that long swing of his and some pitch recognition.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Is humphreys a bust? he's a career .245 hitter with only 6 homers. Hopefully he's worked on that long swing of his and some pitch recognition.

I think he gets drafted as a pitcher. He might be our closer this year. He was overhyped because he has a connection to Tyler Moore and he played at a baseball powerhouse in Jackson.

Homedawg
02-11-2016, 06:14 PM
I think how well we hit is going to be based a lot on how the freshmen do. That's certainly not something we can rely on. We should get more production from Lowe compared to Rea, Collins, Humphreys, and Rooker than we did last year though.

I don't disagree with this....just won't be a stellar offensive club. Which I think we agree on.

maroonmania
02-11-2016, 06:26 PM

Just shows how hard it is to project performance in baseball. When we signed Holland everyone was saying he was going to come in and take over at SS and be an instant star. And he did bat well over .400 in JUCO but it looks like he is not going to be the player we thought he might be.

Backspin
02-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I like the potential we have with the starting rotation and a couple relievers but the bullpen for the most part will be somewhat inexperienced and young. That usually results in inconsistency. I am real concerned with hitting....I keep up with Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss and Texas A&M and they all seem to be hitting much better this spring than we are at this point. I don't think that is all related to our pitching being stellar either. I have this team winning 13 - 15 conference games and making a regional if they get to 15. Obviously, improvement over last year but I just don't think we're anywhere near hosting yet.

Taog Redloh
02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
This is just his 3rd year. Renfroe didn't do much until his Jr. year either. Some of you are too damn quick to call people a bust. Let the boy grow up.

Learn something from Ole Miss' run in 2014. Will Allen is a prime example. Drafted about the same level Humphreys was, never produced, finally his Sr. year he was a straight beast and anchor of that team.

Taog Redloh
02-11-2016, 07:08 PM
He was overhyped because he has a connection to Tyler Moore and he played at a baseball powerhouse in Jackson.
- Drafted in the 36th round
- Hit .419 with 11 bombs and 32 RBIs his senior year, .370 as a junior, against top competition
- Gatorade MS POY
- L'ville Slugger 1st Team All-American

YEP, ALL BECAUSE HE WENT TO NORTHWEST RANKIN. OVER-HYPED, HE SAYS!

Todd4State strikes again.

Schultzy
02-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Friday February 19 opening day....Hi 72 low 52 sunny
Saturday. Hi 70 low 50 cloudy

If we get this kind of weather, gonna be happy. Can't wait to smell the grills cooking next Friday.

I think we will pitch well this season...if we hit the ball better we can make a regional and possibly advance to a Super but my expectations will be tempered. It's seems like a loooonng time ago we were good at the plate.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
- Drafted in the 36th round
- Hit .419 with 11 bombs and 32 RBIs his senior year, .370 as a junior, against top competition
- Gatorade MS POY
- L'ville Slugger 1st Team All-American

YEP, ALL BECAUSE HE WENT TO NORTHWEST RANKIN. OVER-HYPED, HE SAYS!

Todd4State strikes again.

Sigh

.370 is not that high for an elite level prospect. Reid was just as much or more of a prospect as a pitcher until he had Tommy John.

Can't wait to watch Luke Reynolds start over Collins for us at third as you predicted.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Friday February 19 opening day....Hi 72 low 52 sunny
Saturday. Hi 70 low 50 cloudy

If we get this kind of weather, gonna be happy. Can't wait to smell the grills cooking next Friday.

I think we will pitch well this season...if we hit the ball better we can make a regional and possibly advance to a Super but my expectations will be tempered. It's seems like a loooonng time ago we were good at the plate.

If we pitch better we will be fine. Our hitting was middle of the pack in the SEC. The pitching was near or at the bottom. We should be better defensively too.

Schultzy
02-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Better at catcher for sure, excited about that. Hope Gridley's range at SS has improved but he does make the routine play.

Middle of the pack for BA is ok if we are hitting more doubles. Last year we had trouble scoring from 2nd base on a single bc their outfielders were playing so shallow.

Taog Redloh
02-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Sigh

.370 is not that high for an elite level prospect. Reid was just as much or more of a prospect as a pitcher until he had Tommy John.

Can't wait to watch Luke Reynolds start over Collins for us at third as you predicted.
Just stop commenting on players, period. If you want to claim to know about baseball, fine, throw out some stats or something. But you aren't qualified to judge these players, slick.

weblow
02-11-2016, 10:31 PM
I will say this again, it will come down to our bullpen. We will be ok offensively. We won't set any offensive records but it will be enough to win games if our pitching delivers. I know that everyone thinks we will be lights out on the mound but to me, that is our biggest question mark and the one that scares me the most.

We sucked on the mound last year and I will have to see it with my own eyes to believe we have made a huge jump there. Can't wait until opening day. Will be there for every game regardless. My favorite place to be.

Jacksondevildog
02-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Todd is a Madison central guy. It's not shocking to see a luke warm comment from him about a NWR kid. I do respect his opinion on baseball though.

Taog Redloh
02-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Todd is a Madison central guy. It's not shocking to see a luke warm comment from him about a NWR kid. I do respect his opinion on baseball though.
Explain why? I'd really like to know.

As for the players, I've seen that dumbass bash our players on twitter more than once, and that's a public forum. And now he's bashing Humphreys over his damn high school. Pretty shitty IMO but I guess it's just me.

Jacksondevildog
02-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Just because he's opinionated, doesn't mean that he's not knowledgable. He makes some good posts. He adds some good insight to the board. I don't always agree with him, but that's why these forums are here.

Political Hack
02-11-2016, 11:14 PM
CWS. Every year. That's what you play for and what makes college baseball so special. I think Cohen is good enough to get us there fairly regularly. If he can go 2 out of every 3/4 years I'd be happy. I think we could maybe push this year if we can get a 1 or a favorable 2 seed location.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Just stop commenting on players, period. If you want to claim to know about baseball, fine, throw out some stats or something. But you aren't qualified to judge these players, slick.

That's pretty rich based on your comments about Luke Reynolds and Ryan Rigby. Not to mention the fact that pretty much everything you attempted to call me out on you were wrong about.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 11:49 PM

As for the players, I've seen that dumbass bash our players on twitter more than once, and that's a public forum. And now he's bashing Humphreys over his damn high school. Pretty shitty IMO but I guess it's just me.

How did I bash Humphreys? And who did I bash on twitter? All I said was that he was well known because he had a connection to a MLB player that was a good player at MSU and went to a big high school in the largest city in the state. That's shitty to you? LOL.

Since you obviously didn't get my point- all I was saying was that he had a lot of high expectations because of the situation he was in. Compared to say Hunter Renfroe who would have had the EXACT same expectations had he played at Northwest Rankin and was related to a pro player. Except he didn't have the same expectations since he played at Copiah Academy. It is what it is. I don't expect you to understand it.

Also, where am I bashing Northwest Rankin? Because I called them a big program? Hell- they're 6A and one of the largest schools in the state. How else should I describe them that's suitable for you? One of my friends used to be one of their assistants- when Reid was playing there. I have nothing but respect for them and they are a great program. I don't care if they are a rival of MC.

Edit to say I looked back at my post and I saw that I called Northwest Rankin a powerhouse. How shitty of me indeed.

So yeah- it's just you.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Oh and Goat- if you don't like what I have to say on twitter, it's real easy to unfollow me. I'd actually appreciate it if you did to be honest.

Todd4State
02-11-2016, 11:57 PM
CWS. Every year. That's what you play for and what makes college baseball so special. I think Cohen is good enough to get us there fairly regularly. If he can go 2 out of every 3/4 years I'd be happy. I think we could maybe push this year if we can get a 1 or a favorable 2 seed location.

If he takes us to Omaha 2 out of every 3 years I will be ecstatic.

I seen it dawg
02-12-2016, 06:57 AM

It is just you. You're going off the deep end here. Chewing up your chances of keeping this name.

coastratdog
02-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Lowe - .429
Alexander - .300
Gordon - .278
Marrero - .273
Mangum - .273
Robson - .250
Gridley - .250
Humphreys - .238
Brown - .150
Collins - .091

TEAM - .248

Against mostly weekday pitching. Only playing 6-7 innings. Hope pitching comes thru this year. Have not been impressed with the overall hitting since Cohen was hired.

Blackout
02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Regional at the least.

Super Regional I expect.

Wrong way to look at things.

"Regional" is required 9 out of 10 years.

We need to be hosting because that shows where the strong programs are. Host or VERY STRONG 2 seed and then let the chips fall where they may

engie
02-12-2016, 09:29 AM
The schedule defaults us into a great hosting opportunity this year. That's what I expect.

maroonmania
02-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Well good gracious YES! In our highest hayday under Ron Polk we were only making the CWS roughly 1 out of 4 years. If we can get to averaging 2 out of 4 years, much less 2 out of 3 in this day and time I would be beyond ecstatic.

Political Hack
02-12-2016, 10:16 AM

It's absurdly high expectations, but I think we're close to making that a reality. With the new park coming we should be able to recruit like Hugh Freeze without all those annoying show causes.

Political Hack
02-12-2016, 10:17 AM
The schedule defaults us into a great hosting opportunity this year. That's what I expect.

Agree, but if we host we should win. And if we win, were one series away from Omaha with a deep staff, better bats, and a much improved defense across the board.

The 1-2 match up is critical in a regional and the matchup in the super obviously, but I promise you nobody is going to be thrilled about having to play this team in the post season. I just hope Cohen doesn't burn our pin out during the SEC tourney.

Taog Redloh
02-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Just because he's opinionated, doesn't mean that he's not knowledgable. He makes some good posts. He adds some good insight to the board. I don't always agree with him, but that's why these forums are here.
He's not knowledgeable, at least regarding our team. Maybe he knows something about the Cardinals I guess.

Taog Redloh
02-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Oh and Goat- if you don't like what I have to say on twitter, it's real easy to unfollow me. I'd actually appreciate it if you did to be honest.
I don't follow you. Your tweets have been linked here before.

preachermatt83
02-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Wrong way to look at things.

"Regional" is required 9 out of 10 years.

We need to be hosting because that shows where the strong programs are. Host or VERY STRONG 2 seed and then let the chips fall where they may

This!

preachermatt83
02-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Host or the year is not a success.

Last year won't happen again or we will be searching for a new coach...

Tools are in place, including schedule, to be a borderline national seed.

I agree... not being in a regional two years in a row is EASILY a fireable offense IMO. Especially if no, or very little improvement is shown... We should be hosting this year or at very least a STRONG 2.

Student Dawg
02-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Anybody know whats wrong with Jack Kruger? He was easily the best hitter in the fall scrimmages.