PDA

View Full Version : Greg Sankey is the Chair of the NCAA committee on Infractions....

DistrictDawg92
02-10-2016, 03:24 PM
How does this bode for OM? Interesting that he is the only commissioner on the committee. Not only is he on the committee but he is the chair. Does this help lessen OM's infractions or does Bama have as much pull in Birmingham as thought, and push for harsh infractions?

Obviously this could also mean nothing but it is interesting nonetheless.

QuadrupleOption
02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
If he protects them at the expense of Bama and Georgia (among others), his run as SEC commissioner will be short.

DistrictDawg92
02-10-2016, 03:31 PM
If he protects them at the expense of Bama and Georgia (among others), his run as SEC commissioner will be short.

yep, seems as if he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would hate to be in his position.

starkvegasdawg
02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
I would imagine he would recuse himself from this. But I seriously doubt he lets an also ran skate at the expense of the big boys of the conference. Harvey would poison every tree in his yard just to start things off.

Johnson85
02-10-2016, 04:04 PM
How does this bode for OM? Interesting that he is the only commissioner on the committee. Not only is he on the committee but he is the chair. Does this help lessen OM's infractions or does Bama have as much pull in Birmingham as thought, and push for harsh infractions?

Obviously this could also mean nothing but it is interesting nonetheless.

It bodes well for them. He won't be able to simply protect him, but it's not in his interest to hammer an SEC program, even one of the have nots. He's not going to want to have them ineligible for bowls.

At the same time, if they aren't put back in their place with respect to future recruiting, he's going to have problems with his job. Still, on net, I think they're better off with him there. They're not going to get a death penalty by other means, which I think other people at the NCAA and other schools wouldn't mind seeing.

Pollodawg
02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
It bodes well for them. He won't be able to simply protect him, but it's not in his interest to hammer an SEC program, even one of the have nots. He's not going to want to have them ineligible for bowls.

At the same time, if they aren't put back in their place with respect to future recruiting, he's going to have problems with his job. Still, on net, I think they're better off with him there. They're not going to get a death penalty by other means, which I think other people at the NCAA and other schools wouldn't mind seeing.

Quite the contrary. I think it makes it worse for them. Sankey knows he can't keep OM happy and risk alienating a handful of teams in the conference. It isn't worth the risk to him.

MaxedOutMaroon
02-10-2016, 05:25 PM
He lives in the Brook Highlands neighborhood. He'd be out so fast if he did anything not reasonable

Todd4State
02-10-2016, 05:39 PM
yep, seems as if he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would hate to be in his position.

Not really. He has to choose between pissing off Ole Miss vs pissing off Alabama and Georgia. I know what I would do- and it seems to be a no brainer to me.

Plus if one SEC program gets hammered it's not going to kill the SEC. Just like having Vanderbilt in the SEC doesn't kill the SEC in football.

State82
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
I would imagine he would recuse himself from this. But I seriously doubt he lets an also ran skate at the expense of the big boys of the conference. Harvey would poison every tree in his yard just to start things off.

I would think ethics dictate him recusing himself from this matter. So I would agree.

Johnson85
02-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Quite the contrary. I think it makes it worse for them. Sankey knows he can't keep OM happy and risk alienating a handful of teams in the conference. It isn't worth the risk to him.

Nobody is going to keep UM happy. An impartial committee would likely hit UM pretty hard without pressure from UGA and Bama, and it wouldn't be any skin off their back if UM was also ineligible for bowls for a few years. Yes, Sankey may be under pressure to make sure UM gets back in their place for recruiting, but that pressure is more or less irrelevant as a disinterested party would likely put UM back in their place. At least Sankey has some incentive to keep UM from being bowl ineligible or crippling long term.

Mutt the Hoople
02-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Not really. He has to choose between pissing off Ole Miss vs pissing off Alabama and Georgia. I know what I would do- and it seems to be a no brainer to me.

Plus if one SEC program gets hammered it's not going to kill the SEC. Just like having Vanderbilt in the SEC doesn't kill the SEC in football.

Ole Miss is on the bottom Tier of the SEC, the only reason they're even in our conference is because they were lucky enough to be an original member. I can see Sankey throwing the Bears out of the building like a cheap date...and picking up some wealthy school with less baggage like SMU. The mustangs would be perfect for today's SEC- in the DFW market (and the recruiting that goes on up here) and a lousy football program that's an easy win.

State82
02-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Mutt, you are da mane.