PDA

View Full Version : The ineptitude of the Clarion Ledger is astounding.

MadDawg
02-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Is there any bit of this NCAA investigation that they have not either been completely wrong about or oddly silent?

cheewgumm
02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
They're just not there anymore. Their paper has been reduced to just a mouthpiece. Just there to spout talking points and make excuses. It's over.

Political Hack
02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Is there some kind of credentialing that they have to go through? If so, I'll happily compile a letter of explanation as to why they should lose their credentials, with a little help from the board of course.

1bigdawg
02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Is there some kind of credentialing that they have to go through? If so, I'll happily compile a letter of explanation as to why they should lose their credentials, with a little help from the board of course.

Newspapers do not need any more credentials that a blog: Freedom of the press.

Political Hack
02-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Newspapers do not need any more credentials that a blog: Freedom of the press.

AP doesn't require some sort of credential to participate? Seems odd, but I suppose that could quickly get into constitutional issues. Either way, that rag has been around long enough. People need to take notice and quit supporting it.

TrapGame
02-10-2016, 02:42 PM
The CL is only good for fish wrap and bird poop. Hell, Jackson Free Press has harder hitting stories.

thf24
02-10-2016, 02:55 PM
I'd like to know what kind of oversight Gannett has and if they're aware of the extent of the issue. I can see them being ok with general bias as long as they think it optimizes readership, but I can't imagine they're thrilled that one of their papers is intentionally dragging its feet and letting national outlets beat it to the punch.

dickiedawg
02-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Gannett only cares about the $$$. As long as there are advertisers, the $$$ is there.
Nothing changes unless we boycott any business that advertises in the paper.

maroonmania
02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
They're just not there anymore. Their paper has been reduced to just a mouthpiece. Just there to spout talking points and make excuses. It's over.

They don't WANT to be there when its negative news on UNM. Riley Blevins WAS there and you see what was done to him.

shannondawg
02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
The little lady asked me was there anything they could do to keep me as a subscriber. Fire some damm sportswriters would be a start. She said she understood that, sounded like she had heard it before.

lastmajordog
02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
I have not read the Jackson paper in years largely because of their sports and news bias. I also don't watch the Jackson news/sports broadcast so my question is are the local stations turning a blind eye like the paper??

maroonmania
02-10-2016, 04:47 PM
After all of this, I vote that any supposed MSU poster that comes on this board and tries to poo poo that there is bias for OM at the Clarion-Ledger, that poster should be immediately banned.

lastmajordog
02-10-2016, 04:56 PM
My question was not meant to stir anything and isn't poop....it was an honest query about the local TV station's coverage of the present situation. Sorry if it bothered you so badly.

yjnkdawg
02-10-2016, 05:05 PM
They don't WANT to be there when its negative news on UNM. Riley Blevins WAS there and you see what was done to him.

I could understand it when the Hederman's owned the paper on the negative OM news not being publicized, but since Gannett bought them out I didn't think there was an OM connection. Maybe some major advertisers are calling the shots?

Schultzy
02-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Bias has trumped tv ratings and subscribers in the news industry for years. I don't know how they do it, must be getting backed by ideological groups with lots of money.
The C-L doesn't even try to hide their bias anymore, the cost of them straight up doing journalistic work on om must be damn high to not care about pissing off the entire MSU fan base.

The Riley Blevins treatment is just one example.

maroonmania
02-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I could understand it when the Hederman's owned the paper on the negative OM news not being publicized, but since Gannett bought them out I didn't think there was an OM connection. Maybe some major advertisers are calling the shots?

Not sure who is calling the shots but its black and white what's happening. Its the old if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and swims like a duck, its a duck.

Dawg61
02-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Gannett only cares about the $$$. As long as there are advertisers, the $$$ is there.
Nothing changes unless we boycott any business that advertises in the paper.

This is brilliant. Whose got access to a shitty Clarion Ledger? Can you please list some of the advertisers in the sports section? I will officially ban myself from any establishment that advertises in that shitty paper till it burns to the ground. Whose with me? #meandtomcruiseareout

Homedawg
02-10-2016, 09:50 PM
This is brilliant. Whose got access to a shitty Clarion Ledger? Can you please list some of the advertisers in the sports section? I will officially ban myself from any establishment that advertises in that shitty paper till it burns to the ground. Whose with me? #meandtomcruiseareout

So we are going to boycott miskelly's furniture? Loyal to the end Bulldogs bc the advertise to make money??? Don't buy the paper, fine... But you are hurting our own as much as anyone....and in not jumping you 61, just don't think anyone who thinks this is the best course of action is mistake.

Dawg61
02-10-2016, 10:11 PM
So we are going to boycott miskelly's furniture? Loyal to the end Bulldogs bc the advertise to make money??? Don't buy the paper, fine... But you are hurting our own as much as anyone....and in not jumping you 61, just don't think anyone who thinks this is the best course of action is mistake.

Well no I'm not going to boycott the miskelly's. Any others that need to be included in the exempt list? Speak up please.

BulldogBear
02-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Well no I'm not going to boycott the miskelly's. Any others that need to be included in the exempt list? Speak up please.

That's what I was thinking, boycott all that are not Bulldogs but also tell the Bulldogs how you feel about them advertising in the CL. Also tell them that you know about them thru other means not the CL....because you don't read it. Tell them it's only their maroon, tails, and cute noses that are granting them an exemption.

BulldogBear
02-11-2016, 09:04 AM
My question was not meant to stir anything and isn't poop....it was an honest query about the local TV station's coverage of the present situation. Sorry if it bothered you so badly.

He was saying that after all this anybody that comes on here and tries to say there is NOT a rather blatant Ole Miss media bias is daft or a troll.

defiantdog
02-11-2016, 09:15 AM
The OM admin has been lying to all of their resources. Who's to say they aren't going to lie to the CL.

Reason2succeed
02-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Y'all are scared to boycott businesses that advertise in the paper because they're bulldawgs. THAT'S THE POINT!!! Stop bulldawgs from buying and using that fish wrap.

Solution: pick another newspaper (preferably a paper with Bulldawg leadership) and tell everyone to buy and advertise with that paper.

Jack Lambert
02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Not sure who is calling the shots but its black and white what's happening. Its the old if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and swims like a duck, its a duck.

It could be a goose.

drunkernhelldawg
02-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Boycotts suck.

drunkernhelldawg
02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
I haven't followed the CL's coverage. Can somebody be specific about the shortcomings of their coverage?

confucius say
02-11-2016, 11:31 AM
I haven't followed the CL's coverage. Can somebody be specific about the shortcomings of their coverage?

First, they have been late to the party on this deal and have only regurgitated what they are told by om people, most of which has been misleading if not outright lies. no journalistic investigation.

Second, they get an "exclusive" and allow bjork to present his talking points but not answer their questions. Might as well been a press release.

Third, they get an "exclusive" and don't even ask why they mislead the public on the nature of the allegations and, according to at least 3 signees, outright lied to eventual signees three days before signing day by telling them all the allegations involved matters pre-freeze. How do you not ask that?

sandwolf
02-11-2016, 11:37 AM

Well to start with, they haven't broken anything about the NCAA investigation....they have only covered it after it was broken by someone else. But the biggest issue to me is the response that Steve Robertson got when he sent what has proven to be very credible information to the CL. Here is a summary of it:

For reasons unknown to me, the in-state media by and large has elected to take a pass on this important news story. Most of them have essentially walked in lock step with the talking points of the Ole Miss narrative without question.

I was contacted over two years ago about the ACT issues being investigated regarding David Saunders, Ginny Crager and the allegations made regarding the supervision of the testing center there in Wayne County. I am not going to get into all of the specific allegations, but some of them have now surfaced in the Louisiana-Lafayette NCAA file.

In October of 2014, I was contacted by a friend in Tupelo who caught wind of a neighbor of his being interviewed face to face by the NCAA regarding some potential recruiting violations. Two weeks later, I learned the same NCAA investigator had interviewed folks in and around Jackson.

It was clear this was more than just a fire drill deal.

I tried in vain twice to pass this story along to the Clarion Ledger, because I felt it was really more in their scope of journalism. They had little interest in the story despite the facts. I was recently told that they simply "had too much on their plate". The state's largest newspaper with all of their resources was too busy.

Political Hack
02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
The clarion ledger has actively assisted ole miss in covering up the magnitude of the ncaa's investigation and has done so for years. They even went as far as to fire the only journalist they had with enough integrity to dig his heals in and press for answers. In fact, I think the treatment of Blevins could possibly be considered a breach of the first amendment. I hope he takes legal action against them once the NCAA finalized its findings and issues sanctions.

Bully13
02-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Drunk is a fan of fairytale media. You'll have to excuse him.

lastmajordog
02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
My screw up......like they always said....ADHD and typing don't mix