PDA

View Full Version : Think about this on the garbage that Newman is one and done

Coach34
02-09-2016, 10:24 PM
He's not even going to make Freshman All-SEC- Q is...let that sink in. Somebody please talk some sense into that kid.

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Yep. He will make himself a BUNCH of money by coming back. In all honesty I think if he goes now he winds up in Europe, and not in one of the top leagues there either.

djaymsu5
02-09-2016, 11:18 PM
And I think Newman and Weatherspoon play well together. If one is driving in transition the other is following close behind. We need Malik to come back and help be a leader for this group of freshman next year. I saw some good things from Holman tonight too.

archdog
02-10-2016, 01:10 AM
All three are really playing good basketball right now. I will agree Newman needs another year in the NCAA to make some real money and to let the game slow down for him. Q is seeing the court very well right now. Guy is going to be something else next year. If Newman comes back, we could have something special brewing.

defiantdog
02-10-2016, 01:14 AM
He's not even going to make Freshman All-SEC- Q is...let that sink in. Somebody please talk some sense into that kid.
Newman is running out of time to turn the corner. I expect him back next year.

Bothrops
02-10-2016, 01:17 AM
He should definitely come back, but he'll need to work very hard in the off season to get where he wants to be.

Martianlander
02-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Plus if he comes back with better players, it should make him better too.

fishwater99
02-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Malik is at best a 2nd rounder, imo. He has had some real problems adjusting to the college game.
In HS he was just quicker than everyone on the floor and could just blow by them to the basket, that's not the case in CBB.
He needs to work on his ball handling and defense, where he is a liability at times.
Howland has to develop some plays to get Mailk open looks from outside, that is just not happening in our motion offense often enough.
I am excited again about basketball, next year should be fun and 2017/18 even better.

Thick
02-10-2016, 10:06 AM
If he's not blowing past CBB players, then he sure as hell isn't blowing past NBA men. He needs to come back...period. His game is not developed enough for that jump. Have any of you noticed that he pushes off with his left hand quite a bit in one on one situations?

parabrave
02-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Plus if he comes back with better players, it should make him better too.

One thing that Malik needs to do is to improve his assists. He and Ready have both played 250 mins this year. MN has 48 assists and IJ has 98. Thats too wide of a margin between our 2 guards. Sword even has 20 more than MN. MN needs to be more like Timmy Bowers and less like Gary Ervin. This will only come with more experience, ie one more season, under a REAL coach.

RougeDawg
02-10-2016, 11:20 AM
If he's not blowing past CBB players, then he sure as hell isn't blowing past NBA men. He needs to come back...period. His game is not developed enough for that jump. Have any of you noticed that he pushes off with his left hand quite a bit in one on one situations?

This is about the only NBA skill he has developed to this point.

Irondawg
02-10-2016, 11:42 AM
I kinda hate that it always looks like we are bashing the kid when I think we are all very thankful he chose MSU. However it's pretty clear that his only NBA skill at this moment is as a spot shooter. Virtually everything else is even substandard for NCAA P5.

He's got a tough choice to make. Declare and follow your dream and probably get picked in 2nd round and see what happens. Come back and play well and get into the first round. Or risk that maybe you get hurt again or don't develop other areas well enough and then you don't get drafted at all.

We never talk about that last scenario

BeastMan
02-10-2016, 12:13 PM
I have been under the opinion since day 1, the best thing for MSU basketball is for him to be 1 and done. As long as he gets drafted, it's good for MSU basketball long term. Doesn't matter if it's the last pick of the draft.

msstate7
02-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I have been under the opinion since day 1, the best thing for MSU basketball is for him to be 1 and done. As long as he gets drafted, it's good for MSU basketball long term. Doesn't matter if it's the last pick of the draft.

2nd round nba pick is better than playing for us next season? I don't agree with this. 1st round is a different story

maroonmania
02-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I kinda hate that it always looks like we are bashing the kid when I think we are all very thankful he chose MSU. However it's pretty clear that his only NBA skill at this moment is as a spot shooter. Virtually everything else is even substandard for NCAA P5.

He's got a tough choice to make. Declare and follow your dream and probably get picked in 2nd round and see what happens. Come back and play well and get into the first round. Or risk that maybe you get hurt again or don't develop other areas well enough and then you don't get drafted at all.

We never talk about that last scenario

To be honest though what we are seeing with Malik is what was really the initial intent of putting in the one year rule. A lot of kids were getting drafted out of HS before that rule that NBA execs were taking chances on that they had NEVER seen play against any real competent competition. BUT, because these guys did so well against HS competition they were not going to risk NOT drafting them and missing out. Seeing guys play against college competition, even for just one year, does give the NBA a clearer picture of a player's true skillset level and where a player is in his development relative to other potential draft picks. So far Malik's dominance in HS just hasn't really translated to the college game and so its no surprise that his draft stock has tanked from what it would have been coming out of HS.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
To be honest though what we are seeing with Malik is what was really the initial intent of putting in the one year rule. A lot of kids were getting drafted out of HS before that rule that NBA execs were taking chances on that they had NEVER seen play against any real competent competition. BUT, because these guys did so well against HS competition they were not going to risk NOT drafting them and missing out. Seeing guys play against college competition, even for just one year, does give the NBA a clearer picture of a player's true skillset level and where a player is in his development relative to other potential draft picks. So far Malik's dominance in HS just hasn't really translated to the college game and so its no surprise that his draft stock has tanked from what it would have been coming out of HS.

One thing that confuses me is Malik was a pretty good dunker in HS. Supposedly, he improved his vertical 5 inches at MSU. He had 2 chances last night to throw down dunks and he just laid them in. The explosiveness doesn't seem like it's there.

HoopsDawg
02-10-2016, 12:40 PM

Yes, if he played like a lottery pick and was drafted in the lottery. Neither of those things are going to happen.

fishwater99
02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
One thing that confuses me is Malik was a pretty good dunker in HS. Supposedly, he improved his vertical 5 inches at MSU. He had 2 chances last night to throw down dunks and he just laid them in. The explosiveness doesn't seem like it's there.

I agree something is going on with him. I know he was hurt early in the year, not sure if he is at 100% yet.

msstate7
02-10-2016, 12:50 PM

On his dunk he barely got it up there on a clear break away