PDA

View Full Version : Hot shot bling bling players and Have-Not Ag school Peoples U's don't mix.......

Taog Redloh
02-09-2016, 01:53 PM
See this article: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14746404/ex-texas-qb-kyle-allen-critical-former-school-culture

Think back in our history, some of that applies to us. We've always had trouble controlling the 5 star players. Mullen has done a pretty good job of it, but look at Chris Jones (and his taking plays off), Quay Evans, David Turner constantly riding folks like Nick James, etc. Derek Pegues had trouble going to class too. Duuuuntay. The list goes on.

Some schools are just meant for hard-working grinder types. If they just happen to be a 5 star, great, then you have Jeffrey Simmons, or a Kyle Allen. Either way, that's why I don't think you see the talented spotlight types take a liking to us too much. We still get some talent, but it's the type with a head on their shoulders.

Oh well, just my rationalization. If you're going to play the bling bling game, you have to be able to control it. You can see Freeze is struggling with it, but it works because Ole Miss is a school that values perception, no matter how hollow. Usually, it takes a combination of big school plus strong coach to control that many egos, like Saban at Bammer.

starkvegasdawg
02-09-2016, 02:04 PM
It also helps when you have a roster full of 5 stars. When you're the only five star on the team the chance is there of letting it go to your head and get the ego. You know you're the best player on the team and can probably get away with more than the non rated walk on. At Alabama, if you 17 up then Saban just replaces you with another 5 star that's been riding the pine for two years. You know at places like that you are easily replaceable.

Taog Redloh
02-09-2016, 02:09 PM
It also helps when you have a roster full of 5 stars. When you're the only five star on the team the chance is there of letting it go to your head and get the ego. You know you're the best player on the team and can probably get away with more than the non rated walk on. At Alabama, if you 17 up then Saban just replaces you with another 5 star that's been riding the pine for two years. You know at places like that you are easily replaceable.
Yes, great point.

AlSwearengen
02-09-2016, 02:21 PM
so many factors come into play. Self motivation, upbringing, etc., etc.

I still can't figure out if Chris Jones was taking plays off or if he was just getting more attention from OLinemen after his freshman year.

I will agree that it seems like most of our "star" recruits haven't done that great.

CadaverDawg
02-09-2016, 05:36 PM
See this article: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14746404/ex-texas-qb-kyle-allen-critical-former-school-culture

Think back in our history, some of that applies to us. We've always had trouble controlling the 5 star players. Mullen has done a pretty good job of it, but look at Chris Jones (and his taking plays off), Quay Evans, David Turner constantly riding folks like Nick James, etc. Derek Pegues had trouble going to class too. Duuuuntay. The list goes on.

Some schools are just meant for hard-working grinder types. If they just happen to be a 5 star, great, then you have Jeffrey Simmons, or a Kyle Allen. Either way, that's why I don't think you see the talented spotlight types take a liking to us too much. We still get some talent, but it's the type with a head on their shoulders.

Oh well, just my rationalization. If you're going to play the bling bling game, you have to be able to control it. You can see Freeze is struggling with it, but it works because Ole Miss is a school that values perception, no matter how hollow. Usually, it takes a combination of big school plus strong coach to control that many egos, like Saban at Bammer.

I agree, good post. You nailed the bolded part.

msudawg1200
02-09-2016, 06:31 PM

I believe this is the reason that the best Freeze will do is 9-3. He has all the talent in the world, and will pull an occasional upset(Bama), but in the long run the lack of control bites them in the arse vs. lesser teams(Memphis, Arkansas, Vandy, and us in 13). Same thing happens at A&M even when Manziel was there. To me Freeze and Sumlin have around the same amount of control.