PDA

View Full Version : Rb heading into spring

msstate7
02-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Will it be the Holloway show or do you expect Williams, lee, or Gibson to cut into those carries?

Martianlander
02-09-2016, 08:47 AM
As well as he played, I think it's Holloway as the starter, with competition for carries with those you mentioned. Maybe Dear in the mix too.

starkvegasdawg
02-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Whoever has Sr by his name.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-09-2016, 10:01 AM
If Shumo will play every game the way he did the bowl game I don't mind him getting carries. Maybe that was a wake up call. I know if I was the "starter" and saw Aeris run like he did I would be working my tail off right now

MetEdDawg
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
If Shumo will play every game the way he did the bowl game I don't mind him getting carries. Maybe that was a wake up call. I know if I was the "starter" and saw Aeris run like he did I would be working my tail off right now

Aeris has got to make an impact. He started running the ball really well there at the end. Between Shump, Aeris, Holloway, Lee, Gibson, Dear, and Myles, we've got a lot of people who can get carries and make an impact.

KentuckyDawg13
02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
With his size/speed (6', 225, 4.48), I am hoping we see him on the field.
We need to reestablish the MSU power running game.

Will it be the Holloway show or do you expect Williams, lee, or Gibson to cut into those carries?

Coach34
02-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Just remember that once the season gets here- only your top 3 are going to get reps primarily. The 4th RB barely gets any love. Holloway will be one of those 3- and most likely Aeris will be as well. That leaves one more

msudawglb
02-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Just remember that once the season gets here- only your top 3 are going to get reps primarily. The 4th RB barely gets any love. Holloway will be one of those 3- and most likely Aeris will be as well. That leaves one more

It's going to be pretty sad if Dontavion is not one of those 3. If the guy could just attend class, he has all the skills to be "the man" at RB.

mic
02-09-2016, 10:37 AM
It's going to be pretty sad if Dontavion is not one of those 3. If the guy could just attend class, he has all the skills to be "the man" at RB.

Well that's on DLee...

War Machine Dawg
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
My money is still on D-Lee IF he gets his off the field crap together. If not, it's still Holloway, A-Train, and (most likely) Shump. Remember, it takes us at least 2 damn years to get a RB ready to play, according to Mullen. That means you can forget Gibson and Murphy.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 10:48 AM
I expect Aeris to be the main back with Holloway as the change of pace guy. Then I think it will be D. Lee or Gibson as Aeris backup. I think Shump will go the way of Deonte Evans where he is pushed back behind the young guys. He will be an asset on special teams & can used in a pinch in the backfield.

msudawglb
02-09-2016, 10:49 AM
My money is still on D-Lee IF he gets his off the field crap together. If not, it's still Holloway, A-Train, and (most likely) Shump. Remember, it takes us at least 2 damn years to get a RB ready to play, according to Mullen. That means you can forget Gibson and Murphy.

And if they cough up the ball....they will not see the field unless its mop up duty.

Todd4State
02-09-2016, 10:52 AM
I expect Aeris to be the main back with Holloway as the change of pace guy. Then I think it will be D. Lee or Gibson as Aeris backup. I think Shump will go the way of Deonte Evans where he is pushed back behind the young guys. He will be an asset on special teams & can used in a pinch in the backfield.

He could still be very valuable for us as an H-Back/FB

cheewgumm
02-09-2016, 10:53 AM
How is it possible that Dear does not get moved to RB?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 10:55 AM
How is it possible that Dear does not get moved to RB?

Because when you see Dear on the field in September he will have probably lost another 15-20lbs.

msstate7
02-09-2016, 11:03 AM

I cannot believe I left out shump. It was a pure oversight

sandwolf
02-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Because when you see Dear on the field in September he will have probably lost another 15-20lbs.

Man, I really hope you're right.

cheewgumm
02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
I am no coach but I would have moved him at bowl practice. I think it's a mistake, but whatever.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 11:12 AM
I like Williams, Shump, and Murphy. I'd like to see us reestablished a power running game.

I understand that Holloway is so fast he forces defense to honor his speed by moving a safety over some, which opens up passing lanes for Dak. However, we don't have Dak anymore and we won't be air raiding it down the field as much as we did last year. I hope we can go back to pounding the ball with 220 lb RBs.

War Machine Dawg
02-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Can people not figure this out already? Shump looked good because of the level of competition. That's it. Point blank period. Hate to be the one to say it, but there it is. He's too slow and lacks the necessary field vision to be an impact SEC RB. Hell, he even sucks at pass pro. Never saw the freshmen whiff a protection as badly as Shump did a couple of times last season.

For the 8 millionth time, he's a fullback. Just accept it instead of hoping that as a SR he'll make some miraculous transformation that he's never shown any signs of making in the last 3 years.

cheewgumm
02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
I wish we would play with Shump at full time FB. He can block, he can catch, he can run a little.

He'd be fantastic!

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
I don't think Murphy will ever see the field. Not as talented as the other guys. Gibson might be the best of the bunch. Good problem to have

YazooDawg23
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
It will be a big help to the program when Shump graduates. There is something about him the perpetuates losing. A-Train and D-Lee are SEC RB's.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
It will be a big help to the program when Shump graduates. There is something about him the perpetuates losing. A-Train and D-Lee are SEC RB's.

I think you really went too far to the left with this 1. You can think he shouldn't be the starter or play much but to say he perpetuates losing is a bit much IMO.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 11:36 AM
I don't think Murphy will ever see the field. Not as talented as the other guys. Gibson might be the best of the bunch. Good problem to have

Jerome Bettis wasn't as talented as Marshall Faulk, but he still saw the field. I see this as the same situation. He can be a grinder. In fact, during the season last year he was the scout team guy wearing #7 the week we played LSU and #2 the week we played Bama.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Jerome Bettis wasn't as talented as Marshall Faulk, but he still saw the field. I see this as the same situation. He can be a grinder. In fact, during the season last year he was the scout team guy wearing #7 the week we played LSU and #2 the week we played Bama.

Bettis & Faulk never played together. Who else would play those guys on the scout team he's the only big back we had on the scout team. It was either him or Gibson & he has 25-30lbs on Gibson so it only made sense.

GreenheadDawg
02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
I think you really went too far to the left with this 1. You can think he shouldn't be the starter or play much but to say he perpetuates losing is a bit much IMO.

Agree. Shump is a good bulldog and works hard. He's just at the wrong position.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Bettis & Faulk never played together. Who else would play those guys on the scout team he's the only big back we had on the scout team. It was either him or Gibson & he has 25-30lbs on Gibson so it only made sense.

Who won the most Friday night lights MVPs this past year? Or whatever they call it...

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Who won the most Friday night lights MVPs this past year? Or whatever they call it...

Keith Joseph

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-09-2016, 12:08 PM
This certainly took a weird turn. Lol.

Let's just all agree we got a nice stable of young backs

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Shitty oversight on my part. Wasn't even thinking and feel terrible now!

Cowboydawg
02-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Holloway really turned it on at the end of the year. It seemed to all click for him. If he can continue to catch the ball consistently he will be huge weapon. I look forward to seeing what he can do this year.

maroonmania
02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Just to be clear, what is the source of Dear not being put at RB? Is Dear pushing to stay at WR or is it the coaching staff wanting him to stay at WR?

FISHDAWG
02-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Holloway really turned it on at the end of the year. It seemed to all click for him. If he can continue to catch the ball consistently he will be huge weapon. I look forward to seeing what he can do this year.

there is still this thing called physics ...

Sacrifice
02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm gonna say Holloway leads all backs in carries, Shump is 2nd and Williams 3rd. I hope I'm wrong about Shump but I'll believe it when I see it.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna say Holloway leads all backs in carries, Shump is 2nd and Williams 3rd. I hope I'm wrong about Shump but I'll believe it when I see it.

That or something very close to it is what's likely to happen.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Just to be clear, what is the source of Dear not being put at RB? Is Dear pushing to stay at WR or is it the coaching staff wanting him to stay at WR?

Both

PassInterference
02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
I was pleasantly surprised at Holloway the 2nd half of the season. He would actually push people forward.

For heavens's sake, please move Shump to special teams. He whiffed on just as many blocks as the underclassmen RBs did. He had exactly a few good carries all year (in the bowl game). He needs to take a back seat to the better, younger talent on the team.

bulldawg28
02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm still sold on Gibson. He's ready right now to play. The dude is elite

Coach34
02-09-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm still sold on Gibson. He's ready right now to play. The dude is elite

He better grasp the offense quickly and pass block- or we will never know

Joe Schmedlap
02-09-2016, 01:49 PM
That or something very close to it is what's likely to happen.

Shumpert is not an SEC tailback, end of story. He is absolutely horrible.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Shumpert is not an SEC tailback, end of story. He is absolutely horrible.

I didn't say that's what I think should happen. I said that's what's likely to happen.

I'd like to see Shump on defense. Maybe move in an OLB role and let one of our bigger guys slide down to help at DE. Would be a better move for him and the team. His only chance to play in the NFL is to move to defense.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Why must we change everyone's position? Dear is perfectly fine and effective at where we have him and he will get more touches this year.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-09-2016, 02:24 PM
It won't matter who is put out there if the o-line is not looking good. Shumpert looked competent in 2014.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 02:48 PM
It won't matter who is put out there if the o-line is not looking good.

Winner

Thick
02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Good OLs can make average backs look really good. It all starts there....period. Then it really won't matter who he puts in the backfield.

Coach34
02-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Why must we change everyone's position? Dear is perfectly fine and effective at where we have him and he will get more touches this year.

With Ross and Myles there also? I dont think so

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 03:15 PM
With Ross and Myles there also? I dont think so

I would like to see Gabe on the outside more this year. He has the speed & decent size. It would give the younger guys like Dear & Mixon more opportunities in the slot. We also have p/t available on the outside after Fred Brown & Donald Gray.

Irondawg
02-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Dear still screams feature back to me, but it's not going to happen so I need to let that dream die. Williams showed some nice explosive plays late in the year but for him it all comes down to ball security. If he's coughing it up in practice or games, he's done. Lots of good words about Gibson but to me he's an unknownas it Lee.

Lee had a great spring game but that doesn't always mean everything. He does have nice sizea and a decent burst. My gut says its a Williams/Holloway timeshare for the most part with Lee being a short yardage back.

Coach34
02-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I would like to see Gabe on the outside more this year. He has the speed & decent size. It would give the younger guys like Dear & Mixon more opportunities in the slot. We also have p/t available on the outside after Fred Brown & Donald Gray.

I agree that something should be done- and that's one option. I think the better option is to put Dear at TB and run him 10-12 times per game and throw him the ball out of the backfield.

msstate7
02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
If dear wants to make the nfl, wouldn't he make it faster as a Darren sproles type of player faster than as a slot receiver?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 03:48 PM
If dear wants to make the nfl, wouldn't he make it faster as a Darren sproles type of player faster than as a slot receiver?

If Dear produces no matter at RB, Slot, or Harvin role he'll get his shot at the NFL.

defiantdog
02-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Man, I really hope you're right.

I'm going to some spring practices when they open to the public, so I'll check. If Dear wants to continue to play the slot position, he needs to get on a Leo like program.

sleepy dawg
02-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Holloway and Shump will be leaders.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm going to some spring practices when they open to the public, so I'll check. If Dear wants to continue to play the slot position, he needs to get on a Leo like program.

I expect he will. He lost around 20lbs from January to kickoff last year. I'm expecting another 15-20lbs loss this offseason.

smootness
02-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Well, Darren Sproles is essentially a slot receiver.

msstate7
02-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Well, Darren Sproles is essentially a slot receiver.

He lines up as Rb a good bit.

Sacrifice
02-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Dear staying in his current position maybe his best option for now. I'd love to see him change positions but considering what we have coming back at RB, he'll probably get more touches from the slot position.

smootness
02-09-2016, 05:00 PM
He lines up as Rb a good bit.

I know, but regardless of where he lines up, his main role is as a receiver, which is similar to Dear's role in our offense. Dear lined up in the backfield some last year as well.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Gabe looks like our fastest player on offense. He defintely accelerates to top speed faster than anyone else.

Prentis
02-09-2016, 06:28 PM
I have a question, why would Kylin Hill come here to be apart of this log jam. Better yet would Mullen even play him as a true freshman?

Dawgtini
02-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I have a question, why would Kylin Hill come here to be apart of this log jam. Better yet would Mullen even play him as a true freshman?
Yes