PDA

View Full Version : Newman quotes from today's presser

mstatefan91
02-08-2016, 02:39 PM
"I think I've been consistent with my play lately. I've had a good season, but not a great season."

"In high school and AAU there were one or two great players on a team. In the SEC, everyone is a good player."

"We just have to keep playing and fighting and hope for better results."

"The guys that come here play hard every day."

"The only thing on my mind right now is finding a way to win."

I think that's all. They haven't announced it as over yet, though.

Thoughts?

I still think he leaves, but I think he needs more time as many on this board do. He has the talent. He just hasn't put it all together yet.

Coach34
02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I think he has pretty much figured out he is not one and done

War Machine Dawg
02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
He'll stay if he wants to be a lottery pick. If he doesn't care about the lottery, he gone. I'd imagine we're still negotiating with Big Train about an extra season. That said, I think we can all agree Malik isn't where he needs to be at the point for the Association.

chef dixon
02-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I give him props for saying the right things. Seems like he's bought in and understands the big picture. It would have been easy for him to be really down on this season.

Bubb Rubb
02-08-2016, 03:03 PM
He'll stay if he wants to be a lottery pick. If he doesn't care about the lottery, he gone. I'd imagine we're still negotiating with Big Train about an extra season. That said, I think we can all agree Malik isn't where he needs to be at the point for the Association.

I'll be shocked if he returns. He should, but I'm certain that he's gone.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm not expecting him back.

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I posted this on the game thread but it works better here. There are only 12 one and dones in the draft this year and not many guards at all in that 12. 2015 was a weak class

I just looked on nbadraft.net and they dropped him all the way to the 60s and if that holds he will not be in the second round so yeah it would be in his best interest to come back. Also, they only have two UK players in the draft so they will have to process some high level players in order to make their numbers work. This might be the first year Cal's methods will screw him. Some of the players he thought were one and done aren't.

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm not expecting him back.

He's not even in the second round.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 03:12 PM

Depending on where you look.

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
At this point in order for him to jump and be a mid to late first rounder, he will have to dominate games from here on out and average at least 20+ points a game. If he does that, we will finish with a flourish and we could still get to .500 in the league. If he does not and he jumps, he would be lucky to go in the late second round. If that's the case, his best interest professionally would be to come back one more year.

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Depending on where you look.

nbadraft.net is pretty reliable when it comes to the NBA draft.

smootness
02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
He would definitely be drafted if he left, but at this point it would either be the end of the 1st round or the 2nd. Nbadraft.net doesn't list him this year b/c they have him going in the 2nd round next year.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Of the D-League draft. Newman needs to eat of bowl of reality. Whoever is advising him to leave needs to not be around him any longer.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 03:20 PM
nbadraft.net is pretty reliable when it comes to the NBA draft.

I like draftexpress.com the best. nbadraft.net is the only mock draft site that doesn't have him in the 2nd round. Most mocks have him late 1st early 2nd.

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I'll be shocked if he returns. He should, but I'm certain that he's gone.

He has no interest in returning up to this point

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 03:23 PM
He has no interest in returning up to this point

Who told you that?

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
He would definitely be drafted if he left, but at this point it would either be the end of the 1st round or the 2nd. Nbadraft.net doesn't list him this year b/c they have him going in the 2nd round next year.

Sorry I'm not buying this. If he had big time physical upside I could see him still getting drafted in the 1st round but his size is a major knock on him. He is a PG in size that can't play PG. Teams at the end of the 1st made the playoffs. They ain't dumb and they ain't reaching.

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Who told you that?
Someone who sees him daily. Not saying that it won't change, that's just what I heard a week ago.

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Sorry I'm not buying this. If he had big time physical upside I could see him still getting drafted in the 1st round but his size is a major knock on him. He is a PG in size that can't play PG. Teams at the end of the 1st made the playoffs. They ain't dumb and they ain't reaching.
Nm, misread you.

Bubb Rubb
02-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Who told you that?

I understand it's hard for people to comprehend. Logic doesn't always apply. Unless something drastic happens, he's gone. He is saying it, his friends are saying it, hell, even Howland is saying it.

smootness
02-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Malik Newman has tons of talent. Teams at the bottom of the draft are smart. Getting a very talented player at a lower draft slot than his talent would suggest, leading to the possibility of getting a steal, is a smart move.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Walter Sharpe got drafted 1st round after being kicked off two teams and getting shot during a drug deal gone bad so I guess Newman could still possibly get drafted this year.

shannondawg
02-08-2016, 03:35 PM
You think they ask him daily?

MaxedOutMaroon
02-08-2016, 03:38 PM
From what I've noticed about the nba, they are not in the business of development, either you're there or you're are not. Very rarely do NBA teams develop players that's why there are so many draft busts in the nba. Therefore, you have to develop prior to the draft. Newman is nowhere near developed. If he goes now, there is little chance he makes it, because he'll get lost in the D-Leauge like many others. If he's smart, he'll develop more before going

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 03:41 PM
From what I've noticed about the nba, they are not in the business of development, either you're there or you're are not. Very rarely do NBA teams develop players that's why there are so many draft busts in the nba. Therefore, you have to develop prior to the draft. Newman is nowhere near developed. If he goes now, there is little chance he makes it, because he'll get lost in the D-Leauge like many others. If he's smart, he'll develop more before going

It's actually just the opposite. Now there are hardly ever 10 guys in the 1st round who can come in & make a real contribution to a team let alone be a focal point.

engie
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
I understand it's hard for people to comprehend. Logic doesn't always apply. Unless something drastic happens, he's gone. He is saying it, his friends are saying it, hell, even Howland is saying it.

If it was this cut and dry -- why show up in the first place instead of just going overseas and getting paid like he openly discussed? The "he gone no matter what" shoe does not fit -- I don't care what is being chattered among friends.

The dude isn't leaving to go undrafted. For all the crazy talk -- the actual decisions made along the way have been very deliberate. He has no guarantees of being drafted right now. And certainly no real guaranteed money. If -- at the end of the season -- he needs another year to continue to learn the point(the only place he has a real potential NBA future), he is going to make the wise decision. We will see how it shakes out.

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
You think they ask him daily?

Nope

engie
02-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Malik Newman has tons of talent. Teams at the bottom of the draft are smart. Getting a very talented player at a lower draft slot than his talent would suggest, leading to the possibility of getting a steal, is a smart move.

What does he have that translates well as an NBA 2 guard?

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 03:45 PM
If it was this cut and dry -- why show up in the first place instead of just going overseas and getting paid like he openly discussed? The "he gone no matter what" shoe does not fit -- I don't care what is being chattered among friends.

So you think going to live alone in Italy/china/Spain for money at 18 is cut and dry but going to college for 1 year isnt?

maroonmania
02-08-2016, 03:45 PM

And I'm OK either way because, to be honest, he is not the level of player I thought he would be coming out of HS from all of the hype. I mean just saying that as honestly and fairly as I can. I'm not sure what the NBA is looking for but so far, other than his ability to knock down a perimeter shot when he is relatively open, I'm not sure what other exceptional skill he is bringing to an NBA team. He's not a distributor and while he has gotten better driving to the basket, he has trouble finishing. Not really a big time rebounder or defender and doesn't have hops or athleticism that jumps out at you. Maybe part of what is holding him back is he is not playing with other elite players but usually an elite player playing with average players shows out more than Malik has done so far. Anyway, I don't mean to sound negative because I am very glad that he followed in his Dad's footsteps and chose to play for us. And he is still certainly one of our better players but I guess with all of the one and done talk I was expecting a higher level of performance than what we've seen. And if I'm looking from an NBA perspective, I would be fairly hesistant to use a first round pick on him.

smootness
02-08-2016, 03:51 PM

I never he said he'd be drafted as a 2-guard.

And he can shoot really well from range. His ability to score near the basket hasn't shown up like I expected, but if that part of his game comes along, he has plenty of potential even as an undersized 2. The kid is really talented.

smootness
02-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Late 1st-round picks in the NBA rarely amount to much. I definitely think there are teams that would rather use a pick like that on a high-ceiling, low-floor talent than somebody with little chance of ever amounting to much.

chef dixon
02-08-2016, 03:58 PM

He can shoot. Good place to start for a shooting guard. I get your point, but thats a strong criticism.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 04:00 PM
I never he said he'd be drafted as a 2-guard.

And he can shoot really well from range. His ability to score near the basket hasn't shown up like I expected, but if that part of his game comes along, he has plenty of potential even as an undersized 2. The kid is really talented.

If he is determined to **** up his NBA future so be it. Peters is a better PG already and he's still in high school. More minutes for Peters.

DudyDawg
02-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Late 1st-round picks in the NBA rarely amount to much. I definitely think there are teams that would rather use a pick like that on a high-ceiling, low-floor talent than somebody with little chance of ever amounting to much.

100% agree. Ben Simmons isn't the best player in college ball but he's the best prospect bc of his ceiling. Not comparing the two, just that Malik has the talent to indicate his ceiling is much higher than his performance so far. Someone will take a low risk pick on the hope he reaches it.

Dawgface
02-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Perhaps the NBA is making a bet to the future, but he sure doesn't look ready.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 04:14 PM
100% agree. Ben Simmons isn't the best player in college ball but he's the best prospect bc of his ceiling. Not comparing the two, just that Malik has the talent to indicate his ceiling is much higher than his performance so far. Someone will take a low risk pick on the hope he reaches it.

Talent at what exactly?

MarketingBully
02-08-2016, 04:18 PM
I like draftexpress.com the best. nbadraft.net is the only mock draft site that doesn't have him in the 2nd round. Most mocks have him late 1st early 2nd.

Even that website has Newman in the second round. Hey, if he is a lock for the first round I agree he should go but we have seen two websites both have him either in the second round or undrafted. If he is a second round pick, he should come back one more year.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Even that website has Newman in the second round. Hey, if he is a lock for the first round I agree he should go but we have seen two websites both have him either in the second round or undrafted. If he is a second round pick, he should come back one more year.

If he's being listed in the 2nd round he's running a big risk of not getting drafted. Lots of 2nd round grades go undrafted. Ask Jamont Gordon. There will be 10-15 euros get drafted that aren't listed on any draft boards right now. Teams can stockpile them and keep their rights while they develop overseas. Newman is a fool if he leaves.

engie
02-08-2016, 04:38 PM
So you think going to live alone in Italy/china/Spain for money at 18 is cut and dry but going to college for 1 year isnt?

Is it all about the money or is it not?

engie
02-08-2016, 04:40 PM
He can shoot. Good place to start for a shooting guard. I get your point, but thats a strong criticism.

He's an undersized spot up shooter at this point in time. The rules of him making it haven't changed. He's got to do it as a point guard/combon guard -- and he is thusfar lacking more of those skill sets than he possesses.

Bubb Rubb
02-08-2016, 04:46 PM

The dude isn't leaving to go undrafted. For all the crazy talk -- the actual decisions made along the way have been very deliberate. He has no guarantees of being drafted right now. And certainly no real guaranteed money. If -- at the end of the season -- he needs another year to continue to learn the point(the only place he has a real potential NBA future), he is going to make the wise decision. We will see how it shakes out.

Players leave to end up getting undrafted every year. I agree that he isn't ready to go, but it's safe to say that a very large percentage of players who come out early aren't ready to go either. You can't just automatically assume that he is going to do the wise thing just because he's a Bulldog. These kids these days rarely do the wise thing.

He's not ready, for sure. He should come back, for sure. It's common sense to us, but that doesn't matter. Howland has said from the beginning that he was a one-and-done player, and I think that's probably the expectation at this point.

He could put together three big games in the SEC tournament and shoot up everyone's draft boards. Those things are very fluid.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
If he is determined to **** up his NBA future so be it. Peters is a better PG already and he's still in high school. More minutes for Peters.

Please don't put that pressure on Lamar before he gets here. He's played exactly like Malik did in HS. He's going to have to adjust to not just being able to pull up 25 footers & learn to run an offense. He does have a better handle than Malik so that helps but he's not a big kid either 6' 165-170lbs so he's going to have growing pains too. I think Lamar is going to be a great player for us but I'm not sold he comes in & dominates Day 1 in the SEC.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Please don't put that pressure on Lamar before he gets here. He's played exactly like Malik did in HS. He's going to have to adjust to not just being able to pull up 25 footers & learn to run an offense. He does have a better handle than Malik so that helps but he's not a big kid either 6' 165-170lbs so he's going to have growing pains too. I think Lamar is going to be a great player for us but I'm not sold he comes in & dominates Day 1 in the SEC.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Correct

HSVDawg
02-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I just hoped he hasn't stopped going to class. He's gonna need to stay eligible if he wants his options to be open, regardless of his final decision.

Coach34
02-08-2016, 06:28 PM
I sincerely hope after Horatio preached "lottery pick or stay in school" they don't change their mind. He is in no way a 1st round pick anymore. He has no choice but to come back or they are stupid.

CadaverDawg
02-08-2016, 06:32 PM
He gone. And that's ok. Howland wants to show that a one and done can be a one and done at MSU. It's all up to Malik at this point, but it's very very very likely he goes pro. Which I am totally fine with bc that was his plan all along. If he decides to come back (which I hear right now is not likely), then it is just icing on the cake. I just appreciate the guy choosing MSU and showing that it IS cool to come to State. He is THE reason we have the incoming class we'll have next year.

Coach34
02-08-2016, 06:42 PM
But when he goes 2nd round it will used against us as "if he had gone to Kentucky or whomever he would be a 1st rounder"...that will be the spin

he is leaving a lot of money on the table if he leaves

smootness
02-08-2016, 07:02 PM
But when he goes 2nd round it will used against us as "if he had gone to Kentucky or whomever he would be a 1st rounder"...that will be the spin

Eh, I'm not that worried about the way other teams try to spin it no matter which way it goes. Good recruiters can overcome that pretty easily, and Howland's a great one.

PMDawg
02-08-2016, 07:23 PM
I hope he is successful whatever he does. I'm grateful he came to State for however long it ends up being. I'm not real big on all the negative things being said about him here.

maroonmania
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
He gone. And that's ok. Howland wants to show that a one and done can be a one and done at MSU. It's all up to Malik at this point, but it's very very very likely he goes pro. Which I am totally fine with bc that was his plan all along. If he decides to come back (which I hear right now is not likely), then it is just icing on the cake. I just appreciate the guy choosing MSU and showing that it IS cool to come to State. He is THE reason we have the incoming class we'll have next year.

Irregardless of what he does with the draft after the season I too am thankful he came and played for us at a time when our program was trying to get things turned around. He definitely made a big impact to getting the class we have coming in next year.

CadaverDawg
02-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I hope he is successful whatever he does. I'm grateful he came to State for however long it ends up being. I'm not real big on all the negative things being said about him here.

I'm with you

CadaverDawg
02-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Irregardless of what he does with the draft after the season I too am thankful he came and played for us at a time when our program was trying to get things turned around. He definitely made a big impact to getting the class we have coming in next year.

Spot on

chef dixon
02-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Malik just seems like the type of guy that can make a huge jump in production in year 2. If he can get a little better at getting open looks he can be lethal. I agree I'll be happy regardless of what he does.

Dawg61
02-08-2016, 08:31 PM

I'm grateful Malik came here. I'd like his game and everyone else's better if we weren't 2-8 in the SEC. Win some games and I'll cheer the 17 up.

HancockCountyDog
02-08-2016, 08:46 PM

The problem with coming back, NBA execs may figure out that his ceiling has been reached, if he leaves now some exec will think that he hasn't reached his full potential.

There are just as many risks in coming back as there are going pro. The longer you play in college, the more the pros can pick apart.

There were 13 freshman drafted in first round, 5 sophomores, only 1 sophomore in lottery last year.

Shooter McGavin
02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
If the new NBA draft rules are in effect this year, this seems pretty simple. He will declare, go through the combine, and work out for some teams. If he gets good feedback, he's gone. If not, he can come back to school or take his chances.

engie
02-09-2016, 10:03 AM
The problem with coming back, NBA execs may figure out that his ceiling has been reached

If his ceiling has in fact been reached -- as a point/combo guard -- than yeah, he should go. I just don't believe that he's anywhere near it at this point in time.

DudyDawg
02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Is it all about the money or is it not?

Who says he has to go overseas for that?

engie
02-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Who says he has to go overseas for that?

Anyone with sense that can number crunch...

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
If he comes back he'd have the chance to lead an MSU team out of nowhere straight into the Sweet 16 and maybe further. We will be that talented next year if he comes back. If he leaves, he played a year for a team and didn't really impact the program the way a prime time player should. NBA guys will measure that. Unless he absolutely goes off down the stretch, it would be in his best long term interest to come back. 2nd round kids aren't even guaranteed to make a roster. If he's not slotted as a sure fire top 20 pick, it's a huge gamble to go unless he's ready to play overseas.

He has incredible talent, but he's got work to do before he's ready to be a 1 or a 2 in the nba. I do think his game will translate well to the nba but he's got to learn how to work his mid-range game, become an elite man up defender, work to earn his own shot, catch and shoot off the screen, etc...

DudyDawg
02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Wonder how much his foot has to do with it

HSVDawg
02-09-2016, 11:54 AM
If he comes back he'd have the chance to lead an MSU team out of nowhere straight into the Sweet 16 and maybe further. We will be that talented next year if he comes back..

May need to pump the brakes a bit on this Sweet 16 talk. I don't think a lot of people realize how much inexperience we are going to have on the court next year. Malik (if he comes back), Spoon, and IJ (if he isn't processed) with be the only ones back who have ever logged more than 5-10 minutes per game. I think we will be a hell of a lot better next year, may even make the tournament. But expecting a Sweet 16 trip is asking a little much considering we'll have 5 or 6 true freshmen in our core rotation. I don't think prople realize how far away we are right now from even making the NIT. This class coming in is very talented, but it isn't the Fab 5 and it isn't even a typical UK class (and even they got bit by the youth bug a few years ago and landed in the NIT).

As far as Malik goes, I don't think there's any question at thos point what he should do. But its about 50/50 on these kids as to whether they follow the good advice thats out there or follow the dollar signs and let an agent get in their ear. I wouldn't expect Malik to be any different.

Coach34
02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Malik comes back- he will average 18-20 per game and really get himself ready for the NBA- possible lottery pick. He leaves this year and he is a 2nd round draft pick

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 12:05 PM
May need to pump the brakes a bit on this Sweet 16 talk. I don't think a lot of people realize how much inexperience we are going to have on the court next year. Malik (if he comes back), Spoon, and IJ (if he isn't processed) with be the only ones back who have ever logged more than 5-10 minutes per game. I think we will be a hell of a lot better next year, may even make the tournament. But expecting a Sweet 16 trip is asking a little much considering we'll have 5 or 6 true freshmen in our core rotation. I don't think prople realize how far away we are right now from even making the NIT. This class coming in is very talented, but it isn't the Fab 5 and it isn't even a typical UK class (and even they got bit by the youth bug a few years ago and landed in the NIT).

As far as Malik goes, I don't think there's any question at thos point what he should do. But its about 50/50 on these kids as to whether they follow the good advice thats out there or follow the dollar signs and let an agent get in their ear. I wouldn't expect Malik to be any different.

Sweet 16 if Malik returns. We will be stacked. We should have great rim protectors, elite rebounders, and multiple scorers on the court at all times. We are going to be very, very good very quickly.

maroonmania
02-09-2016, 12:22 PM

I'm slowly learning that experience means the least in basketball than any sport. We have to be the most "experienced" team in the league with all of our SRs PLUS two pretty darn good freshmen and we are still really bad.

tcdog70
02-09-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm slowly learning that experience means the least in basketball than any sport. We have to be the most "experienced" team in the league with all of our SRs PLUS two pretty darn good freshmen and we are still really bad.

John Calipari Agrees

smootness
02-09-2016, 12:36 PM

It's a mix of experience and talent. Experience without any talent means nothing. Elite talent without experience can still be great. But when the talent is in the middle, experience still can mean quite a bit.

If Newman comes back, I think we're a Tournament team, but I won't go further than that until I see how ready some of these guys are to step in right away.

Dawg61
02-09-2016, 12:41 PM
We are going dancing next year. Don't forget Howland can still add 1-2 more players before we tip 2016-17 season.

msstate7
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
We are going dancing next year. Don't forget Howland can still add 1-2 more players before we tip 2016-17 season.
Hopefully, but I'll have to wait and see a few games before I get my hopes up. I think everyone here expected more from Malik than we've got this year and he was rated much higher than any freshman we have coming in. I do think '17 will be a special year though

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Ado will be the best shot blocker we have seen since Jarvis. Peters has the best midrange game we've seen since Hood left for Duke. And everyone on our team will be able to run the floor. That's huge with Howland's system. They'll have to accept their roles and play together, but if they do that they have a chance to be an elite team.

Things like IJ's perimeter defense (which looks to have improved a lot) won't be a liability nearly as much when Ado is roaming the paint. Not to mention all of the transition opportunities he's going to create with blocks and forcing teams to adjust their shots near the rim. I can't begin to explain how valuable a big time shot blocker is to a team that likes to run.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 01:14 PM
The key to next year's team IMO will be how quick Herard adjust to playing against elite competition. He's the legit Center we haven't had in a while & he has to be that anchor in the middle of the offense & defense. We need him to be ready to produce Day 1. He & Holman could make a very good high-low combo.

MarketingBully
02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Gotta love our fans. This has to be the most negative outlook you could have with a team that will have 9 4+ star players on it. This year was ruined because our seniors didn't buy in until it was too late. I agree with Hack that if Malik does come back this is a Sweet 16 team. Your back court would be Malik/Q which would be the best backcourt in the SEC. Kegler (who everyone wanted and rightfully so) will play the three (6'7", 225lb) who can hit the three and handle the ball like a guard and is a more natural three then say Sword aka Mr. Turnover. Aric Holman will move to his more natural position at the four while Herard will play center and already has better post moves then Ware. Our bench next year would be Peters/Carter/Wright/Ado/Stapleton which is 10x the bench we have now. Our floor even without Malik is the NIT. Just too much talent for it not to be.

Bully13
02-09-2016, 01:19 PM
I think Hack has some type of hoops experience so I'm gonna go with what he says. Can't wait for next year. Scoring in the paint too and picking up those cheap new fouls they call now.

MarketingBully
02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
The key to next year's team IMO will be how quick Herard adjust to playing against elite competition. He's the legit Center we haven't had in a while & he has to be that anchor in the middle of the offense & defense. We need him to be ready to produce Day 1. He & Holman could make a very good high-low combo.

Agreed. Howland said some of his best attributes are his hands and his passing ability. We will have plenty of weapons on the outside so if teams colapse on him, he will be able to get it to the open man to nail the open three.

Dawg61
02-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Ado will be the best shot blocker we have seen since Jarvis. Peters has the best midrange game we've seen since Hood left for Duke. And everyone on our team will be able to run the floor. That's huge with Howland's system. They'll have to accept their roles and play together, but if they do that they have a chance to be an elite team.

Things like IJ's perimeter defense (which looks to have improved a lot) won't be a liability nearly as much when Ado is roaming the paint. Not to mention all of the transition opportunities he's going to create with blocks and forcing teams to adjust their shots near the rim. I can't begin to explain how valuable a big time shot blocker is to a team that likes to run.

I'm very excited to see the eight new players we've got for next year (includes Xavian & Strugg). My gut tells me Mario Kegler is the cream of the crop. I think he's going to be a special player for us. I'm excited about all of them though. Tyson Carter has beautiful shooting mechanics. He is sneaky good and way below the radar. Wright is getting labeled as the player people are forgetting about the most but that's been said so many times now I believe it's Carter everyone is sleeping on now. Hadad is getting slept on too which is odd cause he's the highest national rank of all of them and one of the highest ranked recruits MSU has ever signed.

HSVDawg
02-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Sweet 16 if Malik returns. We will be stacked. We should have great rim protectors, elite rebounders, and multiple scorers on the court at all times. We are going to be very, very good very quickly.

I certainly hope you are right. Just don't think I can picture it right now. I think the sky is the limit for 2017-2018, but next year is still a big question mark. Personally, I'd be satisfied with NIT / NCAA bubble and anything beyond that is gravy.

HSVDawg
02-09-2016, 01:48 PM

We are still really bad because of all the seniors we have, Sword and Ware are the only ones that are halfway decent and neither one of them is elite by any stretch. Gavin is a liability on the defensive end and Sword is a poor decision maker on the offensive side at times. All other upperclassmen we have just aren't good basketball players at all. Then you add Malik, Spoon, and Holman. Of those 3, Spoon has been the only one that hasn't had some growing pains. Just look at Malik right now, he has taken 2/3 of the season just to begin putting it all together, and he is the most elite player we have ever signed. I just don't see how people can expect 5 or 6 guys to show up next year and not have at least half of them have the same learning curve as Malik has had this year (especially considering he was more highly rated and considered more college ready than all of them).

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM
We will have a shot at the tourney next year but this team won't reach it's potential until Howland's 3rd year. That has been his MO at every stop. Struggle the 1st year, get better the 2nd year, & the 3rd year the program takes off. We are bringing in a lot of talent next year but it's very good talent not elite talent. No one knows how those guys will react until we see them on the court. We hope they're ready but we can't guarantee they will be.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
We will have a shot at the tourney next year but this team won't reach it's potential until Howland's 3rd year. That has been his MO at every stop. Struggle the 1st year, get better the 2nd year, & the 3rd year the program takes off. We are bringing in a lot of talent next year but it's very good talent not elite talent. No one knows how those guys will react until we see them on the court. We hope they're ready but we can't guarantee they will be.

Basketball recruiting rankings are awful. We have elite talent coming in. Peters offensively and Ado defensively are elite. Keegler is elite. Malik and Q are elite. Then you have guys like Holman that don't need to be rushed. The best news of all??? None of these guys need to be seasoned professionals when they come in because of our depth and because we run the floor. You know why Cal runs the floor? It lets his young talent take off instead of forcing them to show maturity in a half court set every time down the floor. Howland will do the same.

If its my team, it would be some combo of the following for the first 5:
PG: Malik/Peters/IJ
SG: Q/Malik/Peters
SF: Kegler
PF/C: Ado
C/PF: Herard/Holman

I'll take an elite defensive player in the post with Ado over a hi-lo combo for offense, especially considering our scoring threats elsewhere on the floor and his ability to initiate the break.

HSVDawg
02-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Gotta love our fans. This has to be the most negative outlook you could have with a team that will have 9 4+ star players on it. This year was ruined because our seniors didn't buy in until it was too late. I agree with Hack that if Malik does come back this is a Sweet 16 team. Your back court would be Malik/Q which would be the best backcourt in the SEC. Kegler (who everyone wanted and rightfully so) will play the three (6'7", 225lb) who can hit the three and handle the ball like a guard and is a more natural three then say Sword aka Mr. Turnover. Aric Holman will move to his more natural position at the four while Herard will play center and already has better post moves then Ware. Our bench next year would be Peters/Carter/Wright/Ado/Stapleton which is 10x the bench we have now. Our floor even without Malik is the NIT. Just too much talent for it not to be.

I'm not questioning the talent one bit. I think it will be there and by the end of the season we will be a force to be reckoned with. And if you read my other post you'll see that I think we will be extremely strong in 2017-2018. The question is the beginning of the season. We aren't going to be able to afford losing 5 or 6 games before mid January if we are going to be in position to make the tournament at all...much less get a seed high enough to expect a deep run. If we hit the jackpot and the 9 4* players figure out right away the speed of the college game and learn each other's tendencies as well, then we might have a shot at making national noise. I just don't expect it and I don't think it's fair to Howland or the guys coming in to place unrealustic expectations on them for next season.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Basketball recruiting rankings are awful. We have elite talent coming in. Peters offensively and Ado defensively are elite. Keegler is elite. Malik and Q are elite. Then you have guys like Holman that don't need to be rushed. The best news of all??? None of these guys need to be seasoned professionals when they come in because of our depth and because we run the floor. You know why Cal runs the floor? It lets his young talent take off instead of forcing them to show maturity in a half court set every time down the floor. Howland will do the same.

If its my team, it would be some combo of the following for the first 5:
PG: Malik/Peters/IJ
SG: Q/Malik/Peters
SF: Kegler
PF/C: Ado
C/PF: Herard/Holman

I'll take an elite defensive player in the post with Ado over a hi-lo combo for offense, especially considering our scoring threats elsewhere on the floor and his ability to initiate the break.

Our definitions of elite are different. When I say elite talent I think 1 & done. We don't have a 1 & done kid in this class. We have a few guys who could be 2yr guys. I'm not counting on Malik coming back & even if he did having IJ 3rd on the PG depth chart is more wishful thinking than something that will actually happen. 2nd it's going to be very hard for Ado & Herard to play many minutes together because they'd clog up the lane on offense. Neither 1 can maneuver on offense outside of 10 feet & Ado's offense is very primitive, mainly dunks & putbacks. Howland would like to space the floor to give his guards driving lanes, that's why a stretch 4 is so important in this offense. I like your optimism about this class & in 2yrs they will be deadly but I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you think Peters, Ado, & Kegler are going to come in & be elite. Oh & we don't have Kentucky elite talent & they still struggle sometimes. It will be an up & down year next year.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 02:46 PM
I'll agree that none of these guys should be a one and done, including Malik. However I do think they are elite SEC players.

Also, as I stated earlier, I don't think you can worry about offensive production from your post enough to take an elite (yes, absolutely elite) shot blocker off the floor. Especially with the new rules. Ado doesn't have to score more than 4 points per game. Just put him under the rim and let him block shots. If he can pass at all, rebound a little, and get some trash points on offense it'll be more than enough. And while agree that Howland likes to space the floor in a half court set, he'd prefer to push the ball before having to go into a half court set. That starts with great defense, rebounding, and a solid outlet. Ado provides all of that.

Also, just to clarify, I don't think IJ will be 3rd string. I'm just saying that's likely the three who would compete for starter level minutes. Peters is too good to sit. He'll find his minutes.

With all the new faces, of course we will struggle at times. But that doesn't mean that they won't be clicking and experienced come time for the NCAA tournament. I don't see how we're not easily a top 3/4 SEC team next year, with an excellent chance to shock some people in the SEC tournament.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-09-2016, 02:55 PM
I'll agree that none of these guys should be a one and done, including Malik. However I do think they are elite SEC players.

Also, as I stated earlier, I don't think you can worry about offensive production from your post enough to take an elite (yes, absolutely elite) shot blocker off the floor. Especially with the new rules. Ado doesn't have to score more than 4 points per game. Just put him under the rim and let him block shots. If he can pass at all, rebound a little, and get some trash points on offense it'll be more than enough. And while agree that Howland likes to space the floor in a half court set, he'd prefer to push the ball before having to go into a half court set. That starts with great defense, rebounding, and a solid outlet. Ado provides all of that.

Also, just to clarify, I don't think IJ will be 3rd string. I'm just saying that's likely the three who would compete for starter level minutes. Peters is too good to sit. He'll find his minutes.

With all the new faces, of course we will struggle at times. But that doesn't mean that they won't be clicking and experienced come time for the NCAA tournament. I don't see how we're not easily a top 3/4 SEC team next year, with an excellent chance to shock some people in the SEC tournament.

I gotcha & I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I just think Herard & Holman overall games give them the nod over Ado. Ado definitely has a role to play on this team but I don't think he's ready to play 25-30min as a starter. I'd rather ease him in with 10-15min off the bench his freshman year. The biggest adjustment this team will have to make is fitting all these big time HS players into role players at the college level. You're right we do have a lot of depth so we shouldn't be depending on 1 or 2 guys to shoulder the load. If we're going to push the tempo push it all the way & have 10,11 guys playing 10+ minutes so no one ever gets fatigued & we keep the pressure on all game.

The biggest advantage for next year's team will be that summer trip to Italy. It will give these young guys a lot of extra practice & game time to mesh together. Also they will have to get closer as a team being out of the country with just themselves for a couple of weeks.

fishwater99
02-09-2016, 02:57 PM
If the new NBA draft rules are in effect this year, this seems pretty simple. He will declare, go through the combine, and work out for some teams. If he gets good feedback, he's gone. If not, he can come back to school or take his chances.

This is what he will do, if he gets a team that says they will take him in the 1st round he is gone. I just don't see it happening this year..

MarketingBully
02-09-2016, 03:07 PM
This is what he will do, if he gets a team that says they will take him in the 1st round he is gone. I just don't see it happening this year..

Sure, if he is a first round lock then he should go. If they say he should return or he is a second round guy, he needs to come back.

Jack Lambert
02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
We all knew he was one and done. If he comes back that's all the better. With Him, Weatherspoon (spelling) and who we have coming in, next year could be a real good year.

msstate7
02-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Is weatherspoon gonna be a 2 next year?

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 03:35 PM
I gotcha & I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I just think Herard & Holman overall games give them the nod over Ado. Ado definitely has a role to play on this team but I don't think he's ready to play 25-30min as a starter. I'd rather ease him in with 10-15min off the bench his freshman year. The biggest adjustment this team will have to make is fitting all these big time HS players into role players at the college level. You're right we do have a lot of depth so we shouldn't be depending on 1 or 2 guys to shoulder the load. If we're going to push the tempo push it all the way & have 10,11 guys playing 10+ minutes so no one ever gets fatigued & we keep the pressure on all game.

The biggest advantage for next year's team will be that summer trip to Italy. It will give these young guys a lot of extra practice & game time to mesh together. Also they will have to get closer as a team being out of the country with just themselves for a couple of weeks.

I think you're spot on here. As usual.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Our definitions of elite are different. When I say elite talent I think 1 & done. We don't have a 1 & done kid in this class. We have a few guys who could be 2yr guys. I'm not counting on Malik coming back & even if he did having IJ 3rd on the PG depth chart is more wishful thinking than something that will actually happen. 2nd it's going to be very hard for Ado & Herard to play many minutes together because they'd clog up the lane on offense. Neither 1 can maneuver on offense outside of 10 feet & Ado's offense is very primitive, mainly dunks & putbacks. Howland would like to space the floor to give his guards driving lanes, that's why a stretch 4 is so important in this offense. I like your optimism about this class & in 2yrs they will be deadly but I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you think Peters, Ado, & Kegler are going to come in & be elite. Oh & we don't have Kentucky elite talent & they still struggle sometimes. It will be an up & down year next year.

I think Kegler is pretty close to being an elite player. Also it will help that we are not playing in an elite basketball conference.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I think Kegler is pretty close to being an elite player. Also it will help that we are not playing in an elite basketball conference.

Yea, playing in the SEC is a little tricky because every school kind of gets sucked into playing a poor brand of basketball. I hope we can kind of overcome that and take it a step above over the next couple of years. It sucked up Missouri and made a good basketball program pitiful. LSU has all the talent and still is hard to watch. Bruce Pearl and Frank Martin are doing their best to snap out of it as well but its not easy.

Dawg61
02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Kegler is elite. No doubt about it. He is bigger and better than Rodney Hood coming out of high school.

smootness
02-09-2016, 04:09 PM
The bottom line is, nobody knows what these guys will be until they step on campus. Most people thought Newman would step right in and score 20+/game and lead us to the Tournament. Skal Labissiere was the #1 or #2 player in the class and is averaging 7 ppg and probably won't go pro after this year.

Kentucky has more talent than we will have next year, along with more experience than we'll have, and they're not a Sweet 16 team. We're not used to bringing in the kind of talent we will this year, but I think people are overreacting to that by predicting us to be a true competitor next year. We should be exciting and may be dangerous by the end of the year, but it's tough for me to see everything coming out as well as it could.

Predicting Ado to start seems very iffy.

smootness
02-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Kegler is elite. No doubt about it. He is bigger and better than Rodney Hood coming out of high school.

They're totally different players.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 04:13 PM
The bottom line is, nobody knows what these guys will be until they step on campus. Most people thought Newman would step right in and score 20+/game and lead us to the Tournament. Skal Labissiere was the #1 or #2 player in the class and is averaging 7 ppg and probably won't go pro after this year.

Kentucky has more talent than we will have next year, along with more experience than we'll have, and they're not a Sweet 16 team. We're not used to bringing in the kind of talent we will this year, but I think people are overreacting to that by predicting us to be a true competitor next year. We should be exciting and may be dangerous by the end of the year, but it's tough for me to see everything coming out as well as it could.

Agree. Bringing in 6+ guys definitely increases our chances of getting some good ones. I would predict Herard, Kegler to have the most immediate impacts. Peters could if Ready or Malik are no longer with us. Ado, Carter, Wright will definitely get good minutes but will need to be worked in to a role. I expect Stapleton to play good minutes as well and do a lot of the dirty work.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Potential starting 5

Malik/IJ/Peters (just depends on who is here)
Quinndary
Stapleton
Holman
Herard

Kegler could work his way in.

smootness
02-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Potential starting 5

Malik/IJ/Peters (just depends on who is here)
Quinndary
Stapleton
Holman
Herard

Kegler could work his way in.

This is pretty safe, though I would say Kegler has a better shot than Stapleton to win that job from the jump.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 04:26 PM
This is pretty safe, though I would say Kegler has a better shot than Stapleton to win that job from the jump.

Probably so. I just know Howland is pretty high on Stapleton, especially having some years to mature under his belt. Either way, I'm excited at the depth we will have next year albeit very young. Carter and Wright could be very good players as well.

Political Hack
02-09-2016, 05:42 PM

Again, that's not a depth chart prediction. I don't even think Newman will be here. It's a snap shot of what we could see come next year. Building our team that way would allow us to be dominant defensively and run the floor. Like IYOK said, they may choose to prioritize a hi-lo half court offense to open up lanes for our G's. There's a lot of options considering the level of talent we have.

CadaverDawg
02-09-2016, 06:24 PM
http://youtu.be/5KF9vxbJ2lk

Thick
02-09-2016, 06:26 PM
It seems people are forgetting about Stapleton. The guy will be a producer for us next year....tremendous hops, athleticism, and will attack the rim and finish.

chef dixon
02-09-2016, 06:28 PM
http://youtu.be/5KF9vxbJ2lk

Excited about all of em. 2 southpaw guards coming in. Don't see that everyday.

Dawg61
02-09-2016, 07:21 PM
They're totally different players.

Yea Kegler is better at playing small forward than Hood.