PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Line.....

Taog Redloh
02-08-2016, 12:33 PM
....wins championships. That is all, thanks Denver.

If we want to win a national championship at MSU, we better continue what we're doing on offense (obviously need to recruit better OL), and build hell on the defensive line. A DL that gets a pass rush on its own makes everyone better. Yes Denver blitzed a lot but the game was won by Ware and Miller. See the Giants DL vs. Tom Brady in 2007, against another seemingly unstoppable offense.

In football, you have to have a competent offense to have a chance. Then you have to have a defense in order to win anything once you get a chance. Mississippi routinely produces great defensive talent. Look at Mullen's recrootin - he's doing about as good as we can hope.

NCDawg
02-08-2016, 12:42 PM
....wins championships. That is all, thanks Denver.

If we want to win a national championship at MSU, we better continue what we're doing on offense (obviously need to recruit better OL), and build hell on the defensive line. A DL that gets a pass rush on its own makes everyone better. Yes Denver blitzed a lot but the game was won by Ware and Miller. See the Giants DL vs. Tom Brady in 2007, against another seemingly unstoppable offense.

In football, you have to have a competent offense to have a chance. Then you have to have a defense in order to win anything once you get a chance. Mississippi routinely produces great defensive talent. Look at Mullen's recrootin - he's doing about as good as we can hope.

Very true, and the defense must have speed and desire. The play of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware last night were prime examples. They gave it their all on every play.

Coach34
02-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Football is and always will be a LOS game. DL and OL is where you win games. We weren't bad on the DL this past year- but our OL being so bad killed us. Step it up on the OL if we want to have any success- and continue to have a good DL.

Taog Redloh
02-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Football is and always will be a LOS game. DL and OL is where you win games. We weren't bad on the DL this past year- but our OL being so bad killed us. Step it up on the OL if we want to have any success- and continue to have a good DL.
Agree we weren't bad but I think we can get a good bit better. We probably won't ever be elite on the OL, but we can be on the DL. Essentially, following the Clemson blueprint.

Coach34
02-08-2016, 01:02 PM
We could certainly be better on the DL- we lacked speed rush off the edge that hurt us vs Spread teams. We gave LSU and Bama some fits- but could never put drives together consistently to score points for momentum as well as consume time for the D to rest. That hurts your D. We have got to get better OL play- that will help the whole team get better

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Just look at some of Jackie's better teams. We had great OL and DL play and were average or below at most of the skill positions. There were some ugly wins back then, but just ask Denver how beautiful their ugly win was yesterday.

We've had better skill position players the past few years than we've ever had. Really have to focus on the lines now. And I think the coaches finally realize that.

DanDority
02-08-2016, 02:06 PM
And I think the coaches finally realize that.

Oh, REALLY, and what makes you so sure? Please let me know!

Taog Redloh
02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Just look at some of Jackie's better teams. We had great OL and DL play and were average or below at most of the skill positions. There were some ugly wins back then, but just ask Denver how beautiful their ugly win was yesterday.

We've had better skill position players the past few years than we've ever had. Really have to focus on the lines now. And I think the coaches finally realize that.
We don't necessarily have to have AS much beef on the OL as King Jackie had IMO.....just a little more than what we had in 2015. I thought we were OK in 2014 honestly. I mean, playing Alabama in Tuscaloosa was what it was, and the defense let us down in Oxford that year. We always get too wrapped up in the immediate past. I think what happened in 2014 was about as much as we could ask of our program except for the DC planning to jet town during rivalry weekend. Turns out that game didn't matter much nationally but still.