PDA

View Full Version : Question about recruiting improprieties and legality

breazy
02-08-2016, 11:12 AM
If the numbers being thrown around are true and the ncaa can prove anything, would the irs and fbi be intersted in the potential tax evasion and money laundering that has to occur?

Really Clark?
02-08-2016, 11:26 AM
If the numbers being thrown around are true and the ncaa can prove anything, would the irs and fbi be intersted in the potential tax evasion and money laundering that has to occur?

Proven is the key. But yes, see the Logan Young case with Albert Means recruitment

Dawgology
02-08-2016, 11:29 AM

It seems to me that the recruits and/or families receiving this under the table money couldn't really claim it on taxes. If they are channeling it in such a way that it is untraceable then they are, indeed, money laundering. Thought provoking question, surely.

1bigdawg
02-08-2016, 11:36 AM
It seems to me that the recruits and/or families receiving this under the table money couldn't really claim it on taxes. If they are channeling it in such a way that it is untraceable then they are, indeed, money laundering. Thought provoking question, surely.

It is not actually illegal to accept money to sign, but it is illegal not to declare it on your taxes. If the IRS were to get involved, then people could be deposed...

the59dawg
02-08-2016, 11:44 AM
It is not actually illegal to accept money to sign, but it is illegal not to declare it on your taxes. If the IRS were to get involved, then people could be deposed...

Would seem AJ and daddy would have a hard time hiding the supposedly $ he got to sign, $100,000 now and up to $225,000 total

Reason2succeed
02-08-2016, 11:50 AM
And this BS would end real quick. The IRS and FBI are nothing to play with.

Personally, I support legalizing a stipend or something for players because I think that the NCAA penalties are already much more harsh on the player than they are on the team. Teams get bowl bans and then they schedule a road trip against Hawaii like Bama did or in Ireland like Penn State did. Players like Redmond lose playing time that they can NEVER get back. Redmond is just lucky that he is so talented that he was able to raise his draft stock in the time he had left. Sometimes coaches will prefer younger players over a senior who is on his way out the door even if they both are comparable in talent. That means that a NCAA penalty can totally derail NFL hopes. Too bad many players never consider this. They take the cash anyway.