PDA

View Full Version : It's tough as a fan to get used to the depth we're building in football...

CadaverDawg
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
I have been trying to step back and look at just how deep in talent our football team is becoming. As a State fan, we get used to seeing any and every highly touted recruit come in and play immediately because we have always had such a lack of quality depth and quality players ahead of them.

And it's so easy for us as fans to get anxious to see guys like Arrington, Antoine, Redmond, Shumpert, Chris Jones, etc. Sometimes we, or I, even start to wonder if a guy like Arrington is going to be somewhat of a bust. But then I quickly realize that we just don't have anywhere for those guys to play right now that would be an upgrade to the position.....and that is something as MSU fans we have really never seen. Even in Jackie's best years, we didn't have the type of quality depth of what we are beginning to see with Mullen.

I guess what I'm getting to is....it sure is nice to know that we don't have to watch the highly recruited players come in and take lumps in crucial situations as Freshman and Sophs due to NEED anymore. Instead, they get to spend a year, 2, and sometimes 3, getting used to the system and polishing their game against great talent in practice. They get to compete for spots and be a more polished and "SEC ready" player by the time they contribute big minutes as redshirt freshman, sophomores, and Juniors.

I just think it's important to look at everything as it's happening every now and then. We are talking about how we will get a 4 star Arrington in the game as a backup some this year....and how a 5 star DE will either be second, third, or FOURTH string behind another 5 star DE and a couple of 3 and 4 star DE's with experience. This is unchartered waters for us, so don't get too caught up in the moment to see what changes our program is going through before our very eyes.

Ronny
08-11-2013, 05:00 PM
...MSU football hasn't had any real depth on the squad since the height of Jackie Ball in the late 1990's.

Having said that, if that depth doesn't translate into wins, then it's not real depth.

It's just one mediocre player ahead of a couple of slighty more mediocre players.

maroonmania
08-11-2013, 05:11 PM
On the plus side Dan is doing a tremendous job building depth across our entire roster. What he has not done is be able to snag enough elite players where our frontline players match up with the upper echelon of the SEC's frontline players. That is reallly where our current gap is.

Offshore Dawg
08-11-2013, 05:16 PM
This is a good thing, it is how the big boys have been doing it for years. Every dog has his day

Goat Holder
08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Next step is to get the QB. Shortcut almost worked with Newton, but oh well. Hopefully Russell's going to, at minimum, break the stereotype this year.