PDA

View Full Version : Simmons/Spencer

msstate7
02-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Check out their last 2 years' stats combined...

Simmons (5a competition)...
212 tackles 35 tfl 30 sacks 10 FF

Spencer (4a competition)...
293 tackles 59 tfl 44 sacks 9 FF

That's a ton of production. Not sure why Spencer wasn't more of a recruiting battle

Todd4State
02-07-2016, 02:14 AM
It's because he re-classified.

Bothrops
02-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Spencer has been under the radar because there was some confusion over his classification. He reminds me a lot of Chris Jones when he was in high school, but maybe even better. What we have here is basically a 5* level player that was an unknown, and is still an unknown.

Reason2succeed
02-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Mullen is notorious for finding guys under the radar, looking at them with his own eyes and making his own evaluation. While everyone else is chasing after the ESPN 100 kids Mullen had found guys just as good or with as high of a ceiling and has stashed them away. Because these guys could care less about the flash and glamour of the process they have quiet recruitments and none of the pay sites can make money off of a quiet recruitment. Pay sites sell drama.

klong-dog
02-07-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't know about last year.

Cowboydawg
02-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Check out their last 2 years' stats combined...

Simmons (5a competition)...
212 tackles 35 tfl 30 sacks 10 FF

Spencer (4a competition)...
293 tackles 59 tfl 44 sacks 9 FF

That's a ton of production. Not sure why Spencer wasn't more of a recruiting battle

Noxubee is 4a. Simmons and Spencer went head to head in the State Semis with Noxubee coming out on top 14-7. Even as a 4 star, Spencer is vastly underrated. He did it all for Greenwood. Freak athlete. It's going to be fun watching those 2 play together the next few years.

msstate7
02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Noxubee is 4a. Simmons and Spencer went head to head in the State Semis with Noxubee coming out on top 14-7. Even as a 4 star, Spencer is vastly underrated. He did it all for Greenwood. Freak athlete. It's going to be fun watching those 2 play together the next few years.

Thanks... Didn't know that

dawggoneit
02-07-2016, 10:46 AM
DL should be scary good!

engie
02-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Yes, I was concerned about DL recruiting -- but no more. The last two classes have addressed my concerns. Really -- look across the field -- and where do you not see a bright future? I see one position group. Dead horse.

Maroons
02-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Spencer has been under the radar because there was some confusion over his classification. He reminds me a lot of Chris Jones when he was in high school, but maybe even better. What we have here is basically a 5* level player that was an unknown, and is still an unknown.

How old is Spencer?

oldjoedawg
02-07-2016, 12:10 PM
I saw somewhere that he is 16.....cannot verify it....

How old is Spencer?

GreenheadDawg
02-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Yes, I was concerned about DL recruiting -- but no more. The last two classes have addressed my concerns. Really -- look across the field -- and where do you not see a bright future? I see one position group. Dead horse.

Spot on. That horse is nothing but ash and bones

hailmari
02-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Spencer absolutely terrorized Ripley last year. He was beating Michael Story all night. Granted, Story was playing out of position at tackle, but he has been well thought of at G since he came in last spring.

Spencer isn't close to fully developed physically. Gonna be a beast.

chef dixon
02-07-2016, 01:27 PM
I don't think we've had this type of pass rusher before. Marquis Haynes type guy hopefully. We've never had great speed off the edge. Preston Smith probably the closest thing.

defiantdog
02-07-2016, 01:43 PM
I saw somewhere that he is 16.....cannot verify it....

CJ Morgan-Walker is still 17.... we got some youngens on the team

tcdog70
02-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Noxubee is 4a but played Columbus and Starkville and beat them both. only team to beat Starkville the 6A champs. also played Meridian and West Point and lost but Simmons was hurt. they went to Texas and played 5a Texas State champs and barely lost and two TDS called back.

sbcmortgageman
02-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Yes spencer is only 16.

whosyourdawgy
02-08-2016, 08:04 AM
So not only is he a freak athlete but undoubtably a very smart young man as well. I mean who graduates high school at 16

KB21
02-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Mullen is notorious for finding guys under the radar, looking at them with his own eyes and making his own evaluation. While everyone else is chasing after the ESPN 100 kids Mullen had found guys just as good or with as high of a ceiling and has stashed them away. Because these guys could care less about the flash and glamour of the process they have quiet recruitments and none of the pay sites can make money off of a quiet recruitment. Pay sites sell drama.

Which is precisely why I play very little attention to recruiting rankings and trust our coaching staff's ability to evaluate players on their own. Spencer didn't catch fire like Chris Jones did because he was solidly committed to MSU and did not take any other visits after committing. The recruiting websites tend to forget about you when you aren't creating some drama. This kid has a great frame and great athleticism. He will end up being around 6'5", 265 lbs playing DE very soon.
'5