PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of the Clarion Ledger

Dawgcentral
02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Thought this might be a good idea, and worthy of a separate thread.

Simply choosing to end a subscription or refuse to purchase the paper will not get the job done. There are over a million people in their area of circulation, yet less than 100,000 subscribe or purchase at a vendor. The way you take the knees out is to refuse to do business with their advertisers. Let the folks who purchase ad space know the reason why you chose to do business with their competitors.

This effort, applied with a broad brush would certainly have a dramatic effect. I can imagine their salespeople reporting back to the editor just exactly why they can't sell ad space. Seems like the best way to apply pressure in my mind. This has gone on way too long.

Bucky Dog
02-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Not the best idea you e come up with. You know the Miskelly's are big Bulldogs, right?probably one of their biggest advertisers. Now if they put pressure on the CL that would be different.

Dawgcentral
02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Let the Miskellys know why you are choosing to buy furniture elsewhere. I'm sure they derive quite a bit of revenue from advertising on television. Pressure from them on the CL would be effective to say the least.

Mutt the Hoople
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM
It's hard to find who their advertisers are- nobody under the age of 70 reads newspapers anymore.

what we need to do is give this material to someone that's more pro-MSU, like the Columbus commercial Dispatch. They would want to please their MSU and Alabama target audience, and this might get them a few Pulitzers.

Bully13
02-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Never liked business boycott protests. It reminds me too much of....oh never mind, hack will get upset. But the CL'S coddling will be embarrassing them even more once more information starts to materialize.

Dawgcentral
02-06-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm not crazy about the political boycott either. But it can be effective in bringing about change in corporate policy.

There are MSU fans who are selective with whom they do business based on their collegiate affiliations. They choose doctors, lawyers, dentists and car repair shops on this basis.

Would any of us purchase a vehicle from Cannon Motors?

On the other hand, could one keep himself or herself from shopping at Kroger or WalMart simply because they advertised in the CL? I doubt it. But it doesn't have to be a complete boycott to have a detrimental effect.

Spiderman
02-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Thought this might be a good idea, and worthy of a separate thread.

Simply choosing to end a subscription or refuse to purchase the paper will not get the job done. There are over a million people in their area of circulation, yet less than 100,000 subscribe or purchase at a vendor. The way you take the knees out is to refuse to do business with their advertisers. Let the folks who purchase ad space know the reason why you chose to do business with their competitors.

This effort, applied with a broad brush would certainly have a dramatic effect. I can imagine their salespeople reporting back to the editor just exactly why they can't sell ad space. Seems like the best way to apply pressure in my mind. This has gone on way too long.

That's a little wacko.

Now, if you are a State fan and advertise, don't buy an ad if you want to hurt them. Although it may hurt you too because ads get your product or service out in the public.

I truly believe that the paper newspaper is on the way out any way. Unless they do something drastically different, I don't see state wide newspapers, as paper, surviving. Big city papers, and small town papers may hang on longer.

shannondawg
02-06-2016, 10:34 AM
When the om beat writer replied to my friend on why Bjork is withholding info, with "why don't you ask him". That did it.

I cancelled my subscription this morning.

Dawgcentral
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
'That's a little wacko.'

Yep. Borderline impossible, could be considered simply a stupid idea.

"Now, if you are a State fan and advertise, don't buy an ad if you want to hurt them. Although it may hurt you too because ads get your product or service out in the public."

I agree. Each business has the need to keep their name and product out there in a wide spectrum, as well as proper targeting. But I believe over the short term (and short term is all it would take to bring about a change in policy), advertising budgets by said businesses could be redirected to radio, television, and printed material to minimize the loss.

"I truly believe that the paper newspaper is on the way out any way. Unless they do something drastically different, I don't see state wide newspapers surviving. Big city papers, and small town papers may hang on longer."

Exactly why the process could have such an immediate impact. They've suffered massive lay offs and cut backs. Time to go for the jugular.

paco
02-06-2016, 11:07 AM
I always like to know with whom I'm spending money. I attempt to avoid doing business with democrats and rebs. Vote with your wallet.

AlmostPositive
02-06-2016, 11:32 AM
The Clarion Ledger slants its "straight" news coverage. There is absolutely no doubt about this.

Why would anyone believe they would be reluctant to slant sports coverage?

I haven't bought a paper or subscribed in twenty years....hoping to see them drop the print version by 2020. Then we can world on the online variants.

Op4isabitch
02-06-2016, 11:39 AM
The Tupelo Daily Journal is OM biased as well, I won't do business with them anymore and told them that when I canceled my subscription.

TUSK
02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
It's hard to find who their advertisers are- nobody under the age of 70 reads newspapers anymore.

what we need to do is give this material to someone that's more pro-MSU, like the Columbus commercial Dispatch. They would want to please their MSU and Alabama target audience, and this might get them a few Pulitzers.

here's your answer, MUTT... http://packet-media.com/

the Dispatch would follow....

yjnkdawg
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM
When the om beat writer replied to my friend on why Bjork is withholding info, with "why don't you ask him". That did it.

I cancelled mine almost one year ago. The Manager of Sales told me that I had been such a loyal customer over the years that he was going to give me a manager's special to keep my subscription. I told him nothing personally toward him, but when the Clarion Ledger became a non-bias Ole Miss Newspaper then I would consider the online version.

Political Hack
02-06-2016, 04:38 PM

Lmao. I didn't have one to cancel or I'd have done the same. Can't believe that was his response.

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2016, 04:43 PM
The Tupelo Daily Journal is OM biased as well, I won't do business with them anymore and told them that when I canceled my subscription.

The Journal published what was basically a UM recruiting pitch to AJ Brown on signing day morning. I had never seen anything quite like it, even from them.

ScoobaDawg
02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
The Journal published what was basically a UM recruiting pitch to AJ Brown on signing day morning. I had never seen anything quite like it, even from them.

Yeeeaaa I just found it....
(http://djournal.com/sports/browns-big-decision-he-cant-go-wrong/)

Brown’s big decision: ‘He can’t go wrong’

By Parrish Alford

Daily Journal

STARKVILLE – One of the nation’s top high school football players will be surrounded by friends and family at Starkville High School when he announces his college choice Wednesday morning.

A.J. Brown, mere minutes from Mississippi State, may choose Ole Miss.

The nation’s No. 38 overall prospect according to the 247Sports composite rankings, Brown could basically choose any place he wanted. Alabama, as always, is lurking nearby.

A physical wide receiver at 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Brown is expected to announce in a ceremony around 9 a.m.

It’s unusual, although not unheard of, for Starkville High School players to sign with Ole Miss.

The most recent was tight end Eric Rice, who signed with David Cutcliffe in 2000. Rice would go on to letter at Ole Miss in 2000 and again from 2002-2004.

Orlando Trainer, a farmer and the president of the Oktibbeha County board of supervisors, highly recommends the experience. He signed with former Ole Miss coach Billy Brewer and played under interim coach Joe Lee Dunn and Brewer’s replacement, Tommy Tuberville.

“It was tremendous. I’ve never had anything said or done that’s made me think it was a burden or some type of thing I would not be proud of,” he said.

Former Starkville coach Tommy Lucas worked hard to market Trainer, an undersized lineman, to college scouts.

Trainer did not get an offer from MSU, which was in the early years of the Jackie Sherrill era then.

Former Ole Miss assistant James “T” Thomas was instrumental in getting Trainer to Oxford, he said.

“My goal when I left was to come back to Starkville. I wanted to come back better prepared than when I left,” he said. “I felt a strong connection to coming back home. I wanted to make an impact.”

He’s been able to do that, he says, not because of football but because of the complete college experience.

“I am proud for the opportunity that Mr. Brown has to decide where he wants to go. He can’t go wrong. My advice to anybody from Starkville is that the No. 1 priority is education. Sports are fine, but the education aspect can take you a lot longer and a lot farther than the athletic side.”

Trainer works concessions at Mississippi State home games with his church. He says he hasn’t lost local friends because of his Ole Miss affiliation.

“Sometimes people will say, ‘You live in Starkville, and you went to Ole Miss, yada, yada, yada …’ When Ole Miss does well against Mississippi State I don’t hear a whole lot. When Ole Miss does not do well I hear one or two things. I am a Mississippi man through and through. When we compete with other schools, I am Mississippi. When we compete inside the state, I have a natural affection for the University of Mississippi.”

parrish.alford@journalinc.com

notsofarawaydawg
02-07-2016, 06:36 PM
The Miskelly Company took their business away from the business owned by the lady who slept with the NCAA investigator back in the Jackie days when they found out what happened. Found another company to handle their IT business.

Jack Lambert
02-07-2016, 07:37 PM
I always like to know with whom I'm spending money. I attempt to avoid doing business with democrats and rebs. Vote with your wallet.

If I know the store is not american own I go to the next.

bulldogcountry1
02-07-2016, 08:34 PM

So how do you find out or keep track of who owns businesses? I'd like to be more proactive in this area.

Often, though, when my first reaction is to stop doing business with company X for some reason, I consider how many State alumni might work for that company.

Jack Lambert
02-07-2016, 08:41 PM
So how do you find out or keep track of who owns businesses? I'd like to be more proactive in this area.

Often, though, when my first reaction is to stop doing business with company X for some reason, I consider how many State alumni might work for that company.

I had a car almost run me off the road a few years ago and they had a State Allumni sticker in the window. Should I not be piss because they are a State Allumni?

t45fixer
02-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Know what you mean living on hwy45. It's almost like their wife said I'm giving away some ***** in 15 minutes whether your here or not.