PDA

View Full Version : Baseball notes

Todd4State
02-06-2016, 02:52 AM
I was really impressed with Daniel Brown today as well as Hudson. Our pitching should be much better this year. Reid Humphreys looked great out of the bullpen again and was throwing harder hitting 94. Billingsley struggled again and I hate it because I want him to get it together.

Someone stepped on Rooker's foot and he was out for the scrimmage but will be back for opening day. He was in a boot though. Fans please take caution to not step on our players in any sport.

Luke Reynolds made an error again at third base. And as I said before that is why he will not start for us at third until he cleans up his defense. Especially when we have Oregon, UCLA, and Vanderbilt on the schedule who will kill us bunting the ball if we aren't strong there.

Cohen did say that Collins will catch some. I like that idea about as much as I like Houston starting for us midweek. We're so much better as a team with Marrero and Collins at catcher and third respectively not to mention Jack Kruger.

Not much longer my friends.

Dawgbite
02-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the update. It's refreshing to read something other than another " Ole Miss is cheating recruiting sucks" thread.

shoeless joe
02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
This season will depend on pitching. Offense should be much improved but even if it's not the pitching could still get us where we want to be.

Jacksondevildog
02-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Might have been already mentioned, but I read where Jacob Barfield recently left the team. I wonder if he got in trouble and was cut or was just cut due to numbers.

dawgoneyall
02-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the update. It's refreshing to read something other than another " Ole Miss is cheating recruiting sucks" thread.

Ole miss cheats in baseball

messageboardsuperhero
02-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Ole miss cheats in baseball

They rolled their bats in 2014.*

messageboardsuperhero
02-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I see no point in Collins catching. He is supposedly our best defender at third and our worst behind the plate. Plus it protects his hand and keeps his bat in the lineup... Just put him at third and roll with it.

And Zac Houston is who I want to see as our closer.

SoJackDog
02-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks for updates.

It's time to hit the diamond!

Todd4State
02-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Might have been already mentioned, but I read where Jacob Barfield recently left the team. I wonder if he got in trouble and was cut or was just cut due to numbers.

I've heard the rumor that he left too- but it was because of nagging injuries.

Todd4State
02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I see no point in Collins catching. He is supposedly our best defender at third and our worst behind the plate. Plus it protects his hand and keeps his bat in the lineup... Just put him at third and roll with it.

And Zac Houston is who I want to see as our closer.

I know- it seems like common sense. I have a feeling that's what will end up happening when things shake out. I suspect it's a case of Collins wanting to catch and Houston wanting to start but that's just conjecture on my part.

AlSwearengen
02-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I know that Houston wants to start.

Todd4State
02-06-2016, 02:32 PM

If I'm Cohen I'd tell him to look at Holder who is now starting in the Yankees system. Plus I would like to see us use Houston at least two innings at a time anyway.

DistrictDawg92
02-06-2016, 03:14 PM

I don't think Cohen gives a shit what Houston wants honestly. I've been wanting to see Houston at closer for almost a year now. Cohen has shown that he likes a "starter" in the closer role, see Holder and Fitts, that can stretch it out to 3 innings if need be. Can't stress enough just how important having an elite arm in for the last 2 innings is. This was one of our main problems last year, blowing games blows.

AlSwearengen
02-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Keep in mind that closers have to have a certain mind set and personality. I don't know Houston personally, but I get the feeling that he doesn't have that ultra aggressive "f you" personality that can easily shake off failure that a closer needs to thrive.

You could see it last year, however, he I'd much better later in the year.

DistrictDawg92
02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Keep in mind that closers have to have a certain mind set and personality. I don't know Houston personally, but I get the feeling that he doesn't have that ultra aggressive "f you" personality that can easily shake off failure that a closer needs to thrive.

You could see it last year, however, he I'd much better later in the year.

Definitely agree there, a closer usually needs to be cocky and most importantly have a quarterback's short memory. Although the best ever, Mariano Rivera, seemed to be quite passive, but with a pitch like that cutter it doesn't matter. But just judging by Cohen's past actions, he likes a big right handed closer with the ability to throw 50+ pitches any given night. It just makes too much sense to me, especially when Houston is throwing in the mid-upper 90s.

It's gonna be fun watching Dakota, Zac and company light up the radar gun this year. We finally have the velocity of an elite pitching staff.

RAYn_Man
02-06-2016, 06:24 PM
i don't think anyone from last year's team has an ideal closer mentality, but if I was to pick one, it'd be Tatum or Paul Young.

Todd4State
02-07-2016, 01:16 AM
I agree with everyone that says that the closer has to have a certain Kenny Powers mentality. But the interesting thing is some guys like Rivera are able to turn it on/off when they need it. So you can be laid back off the field and ultracompetitive between the lines. And then there are guys that are like Kenny Powers 24/7.

Physically from a pure skill standpoint I would say Houston would be the guy that fits the profile the best. And the good thing is part of my reason for wanting Houston to be the closer is not because I don't think he can start- it's because I feel like we have at least three capable starters in the fold. If Houston is our midweek guy and people like UT-Martin are expecting some guy throwing in the mid 80's, they are in for a rude awakening.

Now I will admit I don't know Houston, Tatum, Young, etc. well enough personally to know if they can handle it from a mental standpoint. My only concern with Young is it seems like he has been hit some this spring. Reid Humphreys is throwing 94 and I think he bares watching. If he pitches as well as plays in the field then there are some substitution concerns about losing the DH when he pitches- which is easier managed later in the game meaning Humphreys closing might be ideal. Tatum I think would be fine- although I think I would like him to be the midweek guy.

Todd4State
02-07-2016, 01:23 AM
I don't think Cohen gives a shit what Houston wants honestly. I've been wanting to see Houston at closer for almost a year now. Cohen has shown that he likes a "starter" in the closer role, see Holder and Fitts, that can stretch it out to 3 innings if need be. Can't stress enough just how important having an elite arm in for the last 2 innings is. This was one of our main problems last year, blowing games blows.

I think Cohen is pretty good about letting the players have some say as far as what they want to play. Now- I don't think he will let it become a detriment either.

I also think that Wes will manage our staff differently than Butch did. We'll probably be a little bit more conventional. Especially with our starting pitchers. That does remain to be seen though.

Conventionally in college I expect the starter to go at least 5 IP and then the closer to be used for at least 2 IP. MLB I would expect 6 for a starter and 1 for a closer in most circumstances.

If Houston was our closer- I could see him pitching at least 3-4 IP on the weekend and probably 2 midweek. That's about the equivalent, albeit slightly less, of a typical starting pitchers workload in the SEC

ZedFedder
02-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Do we know how hard guys are throwing now with Wes? I know Houston is 96 and Humphreys is up there. Just wondering about the other guys as well.

engie
02-07-2016, 10:35 AM
IMO we will see some mild immediate velocity increases -- but a lot of this stuff is an overall culture change in both mental and physical approach. It'll be the second season before we really start to reap Johnson's rewards IMO -- and a good bit beyond that as there is trickle down effect.

bulldogcountry1
02-07-2016, 11:01 AM
- I think we need to temper our enthusiasm on Hudson. He might be just what pro scouts are looking for, but he just doesn't appear to be a polished Friday night ace just yet. I think he is walking too many and will end up with an ERA around 4, which isn't bad. I hope I am wrong.

- On the other hand, Sexton seems a bit more polished than I would have expected. He could take over Friday night if Hudsom slips up at all.

- Houston really wants to be a starter. I hope if that doesn't work out it won't create an issue.

- I wonder what to think of Humpreys pitching. My gut says he's not really performing at the plate like he should, and they are trying to find a place for him. With Houston wanting to start and Billingsly not being very sharp, some needs to step up.

- Collins shouldn't be catching on the weekends.

- Looks like we are going to enter the season in good health. That's huge if you want to compete with the best.

Todd4State
02-07-2016, 02:38 PM
- I think we need to temper our enthusiasm on Hudson. He might be just what pro scouts are looking for, but he just doesn't appear to be a polished Friday night ace just yet. I think he is walking too many and will end up with an ERA around 4, which isn't bad. I hope I am wrong.

- On the other hand, Sexton seems a bit more polished than I would have expected. He could take over Friday night if Hudsom slips up at all.

- Houston really wants to be a starter. I hope if that doesn't work out it won't create an issue.

- I wonder what to think of Humpreys pitching. My gut says he's not really performing at the plate like he should, and they are trying to find a place for him. With Houston wanting to start and Billingsly not being very sharp, some needs to step up.

- Collins shouldn't be catching on the weekends.

- Looks like we are going to enter the season in good health. That's huge if you want to compete with the best.

Pump the brakes on Hudson right now. Yes, he walked a few and gave up some hits. But he also didn't allow a run and struck out 4 in 4 IP. The umpires are supposed to be calling a tight zone as well. I thought Hudson looked better this time than the first time he pitched, which is ultimately what I want to see at this point. But the thing is we really won't know how we look until we actually play someone other than ourselves.

And as far as Houston- we have five guys that I think could be quality SEC starters right now- Hudson, Sexton, Daniel Brown, Tatum, and Houston. With four games a week in general, someone is going to be the odd man out.

On your comment about Sexton- I think that might be in part due to being in the SEC rotation last year and why I wanted us to start Hudson and Tatum last year. It didn't happen though and we'll have to move forward from here.

Reid was actually recruited as a dual position guy, but had Tommy John in high school and he is just now recovering from that and I think in the meantime the coaches put pitching on the back burner since he could still help us out at the plate and in the field. This remains to be seen, but I think pitching has actually made Reid more confident as a player in all facets of his game- even hitting and defense. I could totally see him closing games if Houston is just really adamant about not closing- although I don't know that he would be either. Reid could very easily be a dual position guy for us and we have enough outfield depth to make it work.

preachermatt83
02-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Hudson is a beast. Houston is as well. He or Reid should be closing.

messageboardsuperhero
02-08-2016, 12:22 AM
I must admit, the prospect of Humphreys closing for us is intriguing. It's still early but the guy has been unhitable so far in scrimmages and is up in the mid 90s. I'm shocked in a good way. We just need to find the guy with the right mentality to get the job done at the end of games- starting pitching shouldn't be an issue.

A rotation of Hudson, Sexton, and Houston would be by far the best group 1-3 of the Cohen era if they pitch anywhere near their ceiling. Then Tatum and Brown are very capable behind them. Look for Ethan Small to help out the pen on weekends too.

baseballfan
02-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Pitchers - I like Sexton, Hudson, Small, Hughes as starters. Tatum, Brown, Breaux, Barlow as relievers. Houston, Young, and Rigby as closers. What's the status of Rooker's injury?

Schultzy
02-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Mike Smith was 6 for 11 with two doubles in the three scrimmages last weekend.

baseballfan
02-15-2016, 10:59 PM
ok now that we are getting down to opening day....who makes the final baseball roster? who is red shirted? any cuts?

Todd4State
02-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Pitchers - I like Sexton, Hudson, Small, Hughes as starters. Tatum, Brown, Breaux, Barlow as relievers. Houston, Young, and Rigby as closers. What's the status of Rooker's injury?

Rooker played in the last scrimmage and hit a home run. He's fine and should be good to go.

Todd4State
02-15-2016, 11:21 PM
ok now that we are getting down to opening day....who makes the final baseball roster? who is red shirted? any cuts?

We won't officially know until opening day. I think they have until either the day of or the day before to decide. We always wait until the last minute to make our roster out.

Taog Redloh
02-16-2016, 10:23 AM
And as far as Houston- we have five guys that I think could be quality SEC starters right now- Hudson, Sexton, Daniel Brown, Tatum, and Houston. With four games a week in general, someone is going to be the odd man out.
Tatum should not be starting and never should have. The only reason he did last year is out of sheer attrition.

Taog Redloh
02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
I am with you. All reports say he is a different player, but I can't buy in just yet.

ScottH
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Likely Houston may do both. Or at least experimented with.

Friday closer. Tuesday starter.

Taog Redloh
02-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Likely Houston may do both. Or at least experimented with.

Friday closer. Tuesday starter.
I think the freshmen ultimately end up handling midweek. We'll need all the upperclass guys for the weekend, in one form another.

tcdog70
02-16-2016, 01:07 PM
i love threads about MSU. Come on Baseball and let's kick some ass

baseballfan
02-16-2016, 11:00 PM
That's good news. We need his bat

preachermatt83
02-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Houston will not be a closer. Cohen and Johnson have both pretty much said so. Said he takes longer for his arm to come back around

Todd4State
02-17-2016, 12:44 AM
Houston will not be a closer. Cohen and Johnson have both pretty much said so. Said he takes longer for his arm to come back around

Actually they said we're probably going to see a committee of closers. Houston will probably be one, Humphreys one, and then my guess is someone between Rigby, Billingsley, and Paul Young.