PDA

View Full Version : Losing Assistants

Really Clark?
02-05-2016, 04:51 PM
We have run this topic down every which way for our program. But I saw this and thought pretty interesting

http://coachingsearch.com/images/stories/Bielema%20lost%20assistants%201.png

Reason2succeed
02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Let me break this down
1) The SEC is the pinnacle of college football.
2) Coaching is a profession not a hobby. None of these guys are at State because they are fans. It's a job to all of them.
3) In the profession great coaches want to be with great coaches because it progresses their career.
4) Guys getting "poached" away from your program is the natural cost of winning and having success.
5) The fact that Mullen is able to hire more up and coming coaches to fill those positions is proof that he is good at career development.

The extra benefit is that after Mullen leaves (because nothing last forever esp in coaching) we will have great relationships to pick our next coach from.

FISHDAWG
02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
so is the attrition we are experiencing normal or a result of Dan looking around ?..... I have never kept up with other staffs so maybe this is kind of nature of the business IDK ... all I know is that this season we lost more than the norm it seems

Dawgtini
02-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Let me break this down
2) Coaching is a profession not a hobby. None of these guys are at State because they are fans. It's a job to all of them.
3) In the profession great coaches want to be with great coaches because it progresses their career.
4) Guys getting "poached" away from your program is the natural cost of winning and having success.
5) The fact that Mullen is able to hire more up and coming coaches to fill those positions is proof that he is good at career development.

The extra benefit is that after Mullen leaves (because nothing last forever esp in coaching) we will have great relationships to pick our next coach from.
+1000 You my friend are way to reasonable and logical for many on this forum.

Commercecomet24
02-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Let me break this down

Nail on head! That was well said!

Reason2succeed
02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
+1000 You my friend are way to reasonable and logical for many on this forum.

I appreciate the compliment. Many people get really emotional over stuff like recruiting and they start making up insane theories like that Mullen is lazy. Mullen may be a lot of things but lazy isn't one of them. Stubborn and arrogant are norms when dealing with smart highly successful people. They are not going to just ditch their program that has worked throughout their career just because some yahoo has hasn't done it a day in their life says so. Yes, the board was aflame because a couple of kids nearby spurned us from other opportunities. I'm sure Mullen put in the work to get the guy if the guy really wanted to be here but Mullen has a penchant for finding guys that fit our program. Many of the times that the fanbase thought they knew more than the coach and just had to have a big recruit it ended up like Quay Evans or worse.

Trust the coaches. It's in heir best interest to do their best regardless of their career aspirations. If/when the results on the field warrant a change then it will happen but now ain't the time.

It_Could_Happen
02-06-2016, 12:24 AM
The only assistant in America that stays because he loves the place is Bud Foster. Has passed up head coaching opportunities because he just loves VT and being a DC that much. It's very rare to find guys like that.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-06-2016, 01:05 AM
Townsend to the NFL = promotion
Diaz to Miami = moved back to his home where his parents and other family members live.
Hughes to Jackson St. = fulfilled a dream to become a head coach.

None of these had anything to do with any negative connotations with Miss. State. Unless you want to believe the Mississippi media and anyone associated with UNM.

engie
02-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Our carousel is pretty normal. I don't have much issue with the guys leaving -- I have an issue with the guys that are staying.

Still think we need to add at least 2 more coaches, at least one of which is on the offensive side.

defiantdog
02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Our carousel is pretty normal. I don't have much issue with the guys leaving -- I have an issue with the guys that are staying.

Still think we need to add at least 2 more coaches, at least one of which is on the offensive side.
I couldn't agree more

AROB44
02-06-2016, 10:44 AM
I appreciate the compliment. Many people get really emotional over stuff like recruiting and they start making up insane theories like that Mullen is lazy. Mullen may be a lot of things but lazy isn't one of them. Stubborn and arrogant are norms when dealing with smart highly successful people. They are not going to just ditch their program that has worked throughout their career just because some yahoo has hasn't done it a day in their life says so. Yes, the board was aflame because a couple of kids nearby spurned us from other opportunities. I'm sure Mullen put in the work to get the guy if the guy really wanted to be here but Mullen has a penchant for finding guys that fit our program. Many of the times that the fanbase thought they knew more than the coach and just had to have a big recruit it ended up like Quay Evans or worse.

Trust the coaches. It's in heir best interest to do their best regardless of their career aspirations. If/when the results on the field warrant a change then it will happen but now ain't the time.

Makes way to much sense for many on this board....

ILOATHEBears
02-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Is it just so widely known across college football about NMU and how they croot that no one ever comes in and picks off one of their assistants? I don't know the answer but u would think if they were all that someone would come calling...This has had me confused for some time

FISHDAWG
02-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Is it just so widely known across college football about NMU and how they croot that no one ever comes in and picks off one of their assistants? I don't know the answer but u would think if they were all that someone would come calling...This has had me confused for some time

ULL wishes they had taken your question into consideration

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2016, 12:49 PM
One thing I'll note, most on that list moved for some sort of upgrade. And R2S is right about it being a business. That said, the successful schools retain a certain level of continuity at the coordinator positions. The revolving door at DC HAS to stop. Sirmon needs to stay at least 3-4 years and provide us some stability on that side, assuming Mullen doesn't bolt.

engie
02-06-2016, 01:26 PM
That said, the successful schools retain a certain level of continuity at the coordinator positions.
Like where? 7 of the top 10 Scoring Defenses this year will be led by new DCs next year...

8 of 14 DCs in the SEC were replaced between 2014 and 2015.
8 of 14 DCs in the SEC were replaced between 2015 and 2016.

Only 2 DCs in conference have been in their current jobs longer than 2 seasons -- Dave Wommack at OM and DJ Eliot at Kentucky.