PDA

View Full Version : TE vs WR Question

Reason2succeed
02-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Of course Mullen was trying to deflect from missing AJ but he kept praising Jordan Thomas and saying that he might play WR. How does a guy that is 6'7 and 270lbs play WR? Is this really feasible? I've always wondered why teams wouldn't load up on TEs (if they could find big guys with great hands) and present a totally different look than other teams. It should make your running game almost unstoppable because you are automatically in a jumbo package. It would make sense to me that it would be nearly impossible for small corners to cover him but then again I'm not a coach and have never played a day of organized football. Someone help me out. Is this real or just Mullen playing games?

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Don't be surprised if Roberson moves out too WR too. He moved out mid season due to an injury and excelled.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
I like big guys on the outside especially if they run well. Worked pretty well for the patriots. Big time mis match for most teams. To big to cover with a db and if you put a lb out there on them makes defenses lighter in the box so it's easier to run. If you got multiple big boys you can lineup outside even better.

t45fixer
02-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Rosie says he's the real deal whether he has to put a hand on the ground or lined up in the slot.

defiantdog
02-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Of course Mullen was trying to deflect from missing AJ but he kept praising Jordan Thomas and saying that he might play WR. How does a guy that is 6'7 and 270lbs play WR? Is this really feasible? I've always wondered why teams wouldn't load up on TEs (if they could find big guys with great hands) and present a totally different look than other teams. It should make your running game almost unstoppable because you are automatically in a jumbo package. It would make sense to me that it would be nearly impossible for small corners to cover him but then again I'm not a coach and have never played a day of organized football. Someone help me out. Is this real or just Mullen playing games?

He's got soft hands. He'd play more of a gronkowski role. he needs to keep his weight down because he has an OT frame. I don't see him playing outside though.

Commercecomet24
02-04-2016, 09:01 PM
He's got soft hands. He'd play more of a gronkowski role. he needs to keep his weight down because he has an OT frame. I don't see him playing outside though.

I like hearing that! Gronk goes out wide a lot though especially in the red zone. He beat kj right before the half last year split out wide. I would really like to see us use this type offense. Good info, thanks!

bulldawg28
02-04-2016, 09:12 PM
I think this year we'll see more creativity in the offense similar to what Mullen did we he first arrived. Dak crippled him to a degree

Commercecomet24
02-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Amazing how a great qb can do that to a coach sometimes. They get so used to the guy making so many plays they start depending on him to make them all. It's not just Dan, it happens to a lot of coaches.

Reason2succeed
02-04-2016, 09:40 PM
So it sounds like Mullen is going to try to make TE/WR a position of strength again. With Dontea Jones, Justin Johnson, and Jordan Thomas we ought to be able to create some mismatches. I've always felt that a great TE was a young WBs best friend after a RB.

msstate7
02-04-2016, 09:47 PM
So it sounds like Mullen is going to try to make TE/WR a position of strength again. With Dontea Jones, Justin Johnson, and Jordan Thomas we ought to be able to create some mismatches. I've always felt that a great TE was a young WBs best friend after a RB.

Christian Roberson is another one

bulldawg28
02-04-2016, 09:47 PM

Not just a young Qb but any Qb. They're chain movers and touchdown makers

cheewgumm
02-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Could Justin Johnson take Derunyas spot?

Commercecomet24
02-04-2016, 09:50 PM

I been thinking that myself. He's as fast as bear for sure. Strong kid too.

msstate7
02-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Should we expect Jesse Jackson, d. Thomas, and couch to have an impact this year?

defiantdog
02-04-2016, 10:08 PM

No he's in the Malcolm Johnson role.

defiantdog
02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Should we expect Jesse Jackson, d. Thomas, and couch to have an impact this year?
Yes to all of them. d. Thomas and Jackson both have glue for hands.

DancingRabbit
02-04-2016, 10:57 PM

I think we would hope to redshirt Couch, unless he's too ready and too good. We'll get to see Deontay Evans and Roberson in spring practice so one of them might play.

We are in need of size on the outside, but maybe Justin Johnson, Jesse Jackson and the TE's can fill the bill and we don't have to burn Couch's redshirt.

We add Mixon to all the other talent inside. That kid has some moves and quickness that is special, based on the little bit of video I've seen.

Dallas_Dawg
02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
What about Farrod Green?

bulldawg28
02-05-2016, 04:25 AM
I think we would hope to redshirt Couch, unless he's too ready and too good. We'll get to see Deontay Evans and Roberson in spring practice so one of them might play.

We are in need of size on the outside, but maybe Justin Johnson, Jesse Jackson and the TE's can fill the bill and we don't have to burn Couch's redshirt.

We add Mixon to all the other talent inside. That kid has some moves and quickness that is special, based on the little bit of video I've seen.

Deontay Evans is a safety.

Reason2succeed
02-05-2016, 08:38 AM
I was wondering about Justin Johnson too. Does he have the speed to move to the outside. Or are we going to put the TE body types out wide and leave Johnson inside. It would create lots of mismatches and once again you could always bring he MR(monster receiver - I have that trademarked) inside to create a jumbo package for running inside. I think that would be a fun offense to watch. Plus, we have a ton of slot type guys so the size advantage should help them on bubble screens, reverses, etc.

thf24
02-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Mississippi State - where every offseason we want to switch our WR's to TE and TE's to WR.

BrunswickDawg
02-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Mississippi State - where every offseason we want to switch our WR's to TE and TE's to WR.
Except when we want to switch them to guard.

msstate7
02-05-2016, 10:16 AM
I've been beating this drum for awhile... I want to see some 2 te sets this year. Arkansas really hurt the sec with their te's this year and I think it would help our running game too. I'm not saying run 2 te sets all the time, but I do want to see it some

cheat2win
02-05-2016, 10:22 AM
I hope the ball finds its way to Donald Gray a lot this year.

DancingRabbit
02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Deontay Evans is a safety.

Yeah, I meant Dontea Jones.

state66
02-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Im going to wait and see at what weight deonte jones checks in at when he arrives before I assume what position he will play. Alot of rumors that his weight has gotten very high.

archdog
02-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Simmons played some TE too. Just saying.

BrunswickDawg
02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Im going to wait and see at what weight deonte jones checks in at when he arrives before I assume what position he will play. Alot of rumors that his weight has gotten very high.

See - "move him to guard"

Commercecomet24
02-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Or tackle, h back, de or linebacker! I want to see a big te converted to kicker so we can have the biggest, baddest kicker out there****?