PDA

View Full Version : With open Scholarships, what position should we target a grad transfer at?

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 04:45 PM
As someone mentioned in another thread today, with our scholarship situation, we should ABSOLUTELY be looking for graduate transfers.

I realize that Mullen hasn't traditionally done this, but it would be ridiculous to not investigate this heavily this season.

So what positions should we be on the look out for?

For me, I would love to sign a SR CB & X receiver that has experience. I hate the idea of putting the "big receiver" role all on Jamal Couch this year & adding a dependable, experienced CB could really help our defense, which should have tons of talent at every other position.

Hopefully, this is an area where Sirmon, Buckley, or new safeties coach could make an immediate impact. With their experiences in other parts of the country, I would think we could cast a pretty wide net on this.

Landing a grad transfer at either or both of these positions could really change the outlook of the 2016 season.

Jack Lambert
02-04-2016, 04:49 PM
We have to use those in the fall or lose them I believe? I would rather go after some JUCO who is going to be around for two seasons but that's just me.

confucius say
02-04-2016, 04:50 PM
OL

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 04:51 PM
We have to use those in the fall or lose them I believe? I would rather go after some JUCO who is going to be around for two seasons but that's just me.

Not me because I think the quality of player is going to better with a graduate transfer.

All the good JUCOs have already signed. We need to find a graduate on a crappy team that wants to play SEC football for one season.

Iowa State could be prime place to look for that considering our new coach was there.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
OL

If you could find a good one. However, I think that will be tough to come by & it would be tough for him to learn our system that quickly. I'd feel better about the chances of a WR or CB making an impact

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 04:54 PM
You won't find a player that could help us as a grad transfer. There are not that many total players to even look at, much less at certain positions.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
You won't find a player that could help us as a grad transfer. There are not that many total players to even look at, much less at every position.

You don't think a CB could become available?

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 04:58 PM
You don't think a CB could become available?

That could help us? Not really. When was the last time one has even transferred in the Power 5 as a grad?

Dawgtini
02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
That could help us? Not really. When was the last time one has even transferred in the Power 5 as a grad?

Didn't one transfer from Michigan to Auburn last season?

Coach34
02-04-2016, 05:11 PM
OL and CB

Irondawg
02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Maybe an OL but I also thnk we should target more guys that have 2+ years left and basically want to come sit a year and play in the SEC. Found some highly rated guys that might be unhappy and want to play in the SEC. I don't want to use all our open schollies that way but if we could find a situation like when we got the OL transfer from Florida it would be nice

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Didn't one transfer from Michigan to Auburn last season?

Countess. Yep forgot him. One like that would be good. Just don't see very many starter grad leave. Was there another in the last year? Usually they were back ups. Maybe with so many coaching changes this year will create a few more guys. But usually it's about like the LB we got from Clemson. Depth piece at best or they are not SEC caliber at all

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Countess. Yep forgot him. One like that would be good. Just don't see very many starter grad leave. Was there another in the last year? Usually they were back ups. Maybe with so many coaching changes this year will create a few more guys. But usually it's about like the LB we got from Clemson. Depth piece at best or they are not SEC caliber at all

If there is no one out there, then there's nothing you can do. But we absolutely need to be aggressive with anyone that does become available.

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 05:32 PM
If there is no one out there, then there's nothing you can do. But we absolutely need to be aggressive with anyone that does become available.

Yeah. I'm not saying don't monitor the market and be very aggressive if someone pops up, just don't be planning to fill a need this way. But you never know. However if it's a player that can start for us, he will be very sought after

Hotdawg66
02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
My understanding is no open scholarships at this time. One was open and given to a walk on

IMissJack
02-04-2016, 10:29 PM
As someone mentioned in another thread today, with our scholarship situation, we should ABSOLUTELY be looking for graduate transfers.

I realize that Mullen hasn't traditionally done this, but it would be ridiculous to not investigate this heavily this season.

So what positions should we be on the look out for?

For me, I would love to sign a SR CB & X receiver that has experience. I hate the idea of putting the "big receiver" role all on Jamal Couch this year & adding a dependable, experienced CB could really help our defense, which should have tons of talent at every other position.

Hopefully, this is an area where Sirmon, Buckley, or new safeties coach could make an immediate impact. With their experiences in other parts of the country, I would think we could cast a pretty wide net on this.

Landing a grad transfer at either or both of these positions could really change the outlook of the 2016 season.

I do not understand how MS has one of the most prolific JC football systems in the country, and we cannot get hardly any players, unless it is a placement by us!! Hell do what Jackie did and go to Butler or Garden City KS and find someone.