PDA

View Full Version : Defense 2016

chef dixon
02-04-2016, 12:40 PM
I think we could potentially have a really salty defense this upcoming season. We just have to find some stability at corner. Let me know if I miss any players.

DL: Jefferson, Calvin, Coleman, James, Adams/Adams, Hoyett, Thomas, *******, Kobe, Simmons..... All the sudden with this recruiting class we have some depth plus experience at this position now. Losing C Jones hurts of course but Ryan Brown wasn't overly productive.

LBs: R Brown, Green, Gray, Lewis, Jung, Washington, possibly Thompson..... Mix of experienced guys in Gray and Brown with some highly talented guys waiting for their turn. Losing B Brown hurts some but we will overcome that by mid season.

S: Peters, McLaurin, Bryant, Coman..... Between these 4 guys we should have at least a solid rotation in the game at all times. Bryant is going to be one of our best players on the team this season. I know Coman is frustrating sometimes but he doesn't hurt to have in a 4 man rotation with his experience.

CB: Cleveland, Graham, Smitherman, Stamps, Rayford, CJ Morgan, Durr..... For me this is a crap shoot, maybe someone else more informed can weed it all out. I think we can expect Cleveland to start based on Mullen's past. It seems the newer guys are highly regarded but we will just have to see.

Overall I think we've built pretty good depth at all positions if anything. I'm excited to see what element Sirmon brings to the table as well. We are going to need the defense to be nasty as we work through the kinks of the new quarterback.

Beaver
02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
This reminds me of Bama's defense a couple years ago. Really nice front 7, but pretty weak at the cornerback position. I think safety play will be improved from the last 2 years, but the defense as a whole will be great if our rotation of corners can pick up the slack.

Coach34
02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
We are weak at CB and lack depth at DE. Those are very concerning. You have to have 2 DL's and 4 CB's in today's game. We dont really have but 1 CB in Jiles right now.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Pretty funny

I couldn't figure out who player ******* was until I looked at our roster & saw that we actually have a DL named Mullin_s. lol

So, I guess Anfernee Mullin_s will forever be known as player ****** on Elitedawgs

defiantdog
02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
I expect Green to play a lot of stand up DE this year even with Sirmon as DC. If DE becomes a major issue for us, Erroll could step in immediately and help there (but I see him redshirting for the most part and sticking to his ILB position). Smitherman may win a starting spot this spring. He is like a shorter Fred Smoot. He and D. Thomas were jawing at each other every play of bowl practice.

I know we are all pumped about Simmons, but don't forget we have a motor on that Dline with Fletcher Adams. He's beefed up some, but he was a huge mismatch in bowl practices. He's quick. Sirmon has also stated he's going to add all kinds of sets this year on defense. So I'm not too worried about our DE depth. The CB position is my biggest concern on defense.

Westdawg
02-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Richie Brown is going to Med School this fall. At least that was the word amongst those who know him

K9 Avenger
02-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Richie Brown is going to Med School this fall. At least that was the word amongst those who know him

Med School? I thought Richie was blue collar**

Taog Redloh
02-04-2016, 03:42 PM
DL will help the CBs. I think Turner is finally get his type of 'grinders' on the DL. I would imagine Simmons starts fairly quickly too. James, Jefferson and Calvin are going to be good ones IMO.

Not worried about Safeties.

At LB, as long as Gerri Green shows up and does what we all know he can, we will be just fine.

Political Hack
02-04-2016, 04:08 PM
DL, LBs, and S's will all help our CBs significantly. Smokey and Smitherman have a lot of skill and we've got experience with Jiles and Cleveland. Given the uptick I expect at S, and the injuries we sustained this year in the secondary, I think our secondary as a whole will be much improved.

If we have problems, it'll be at DE with a lack of depth. I think we'll have to see some OLbs slide down to help or just bring a ton of heat off the edge from the 2nd level. Our DL is full of good run stoppers... Just have to find a way to generate pressure.

Joe Schmedlap
02-04-2016, 07:08 PM

That's new to me.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 07:15 PM

What?

We can't be having starters quit. Last year it was Sobes.

I honestly don't know about this. Richie still has a chance to play in the NFL kinda of like Cam Lawrence did. That would pay for med school

Coach34
02-04-2016, 07:26 PM
DL will help the CBs. I think Turner is finally get his type of 'grinders' on the DL. I would imagine Simmons starts fairly quickly too. James, Jefferson and Calvin are going to be good ones IMO. .

People said the same thing about Jones. We havent had a true Freshman start since 2009- thats probably not going to change in 2016.

GumpDawg
02-04-2016, 07:37 PM

That would be a shocker. He is an industrial tech major. Not really your standard route to med school. not saying it's impossible but that's a wierd combo.

djaymsu5
02-04-2016, 10:26 PM
People said the same thing about Jones. We havent had a true Freshman start since 2009- thats probably not going to change in 2016.

Well it needs to! Simmons is that good. Throw that kid in the fire and let him after the QB. Is he going to be an end mostly or a tackle? And what about Fletcher?

djaymsu5
02-04-2016, 10:26 PM
I think we could potentially have a really salty defense this upcoming season. We just have to find some stability at corner. Let me know if I miss any players.

DL: Jefferson, Calvin, Coleman, James, Adams/Adams, Hoyett, Thomas, *******, Kobe, Simmons..... All the sudden with this recruiting class we have some depth plus experience at this position now. Losing C Jones hurts of course but Ryan Brown wasn't overly productive.

LBs: R Brown, Green, Gray, Lewis, Jung, Washington, possibly Thompson..... Mix of experienced guys in Gray and Brown with some highly talented guys waiting for their turn. Losing B Brown hurts some but we will overcome that by mid season.

S: Peters, McLaurin, Bryant, Coman..... Between these 4 guys we should have at least a solid rotation in the game at all times. Bryant is going to be one of our best players on the team this season. I know Coman is frustrating sometimes but he doesn't hurt to have in a 4 man rotation with his experience.

CB: Cleveland, Graham, Smitherman, Stamps, Rayford, CJ Morgan, Durr..... For me this is a crap shoot, maybe someone else more informed can weed it all out. I think we can expect Cleveland to start based on Mullen's past. It seems the newer guys are highly regarded but we will just have to see.

Overall I think we've built pretty good depth at all positions if anything. I'm excited to see what element Sirmon brings to the table as well. We are going to need the defense to be nasty as we work through the kinks of the new quarterback.

Don't forget to add Marquiss Spencer to that group

Taog Redloh
02-04-2016, 10:34 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2013/ms0921.htm
http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2013/ms1012.htm#GAME.PRE

FARRRRRRRRRT

Quit making shit up. We play true freshmen all the time, regardless of if they 'start' or not.

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Jones started 3 games as a true freshman, Alcorn (second game of the year), Troy and Bowling Green. He played the second series in first ever game for us. Bear started against Alabama and played a ton as a freshman. Peters started 2 games this year Missouri and EB. Williams started the EB but that was by default. Not a lot of starts, not a ton of ready impact Freshman over the years either. But the point stands we have started true freshman since 2009.

Dallas_Dawg
02-04-2016, 11:03 PM
I expect Lashard Durr to earn some significant reps early.
What about Chris Rayford? I know the staff was high on him early on. He is a third year sophomore, hopefully he can bring something to the table

somebodyshotmypaw
02-04-2016, 11:11 PM
What about Chris Rayford? I know the staff was high on him early on. He is a third year sophomore, hopefully he can bring something to the table

Rayford looked terrible in very limited action last year.

Westdawg
02-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I may have the wrong player/info then
I had a room mate at state that got his engineering degree and went on to med school. He had to jump somehow hurdles, but he is an outstanding doctor today.

sandwolf
02-05-2016, 12:27 AM
I may have the wrong player/info then
I had a room mate at state that got his engineering degree and went on to med school. He had to jump somehow hurdles, but he is an outstanding doctor today.

A lot of people do biomedical engineering for undergrad and then go on to med school. But industrial tech is not engineering, and I wouldn't think that it has nearly enough science in the curriculum to make it a realistic path to med school.

BoomBoom
02-05-2016, 08:03 AM
A lot of people do biomedical engineering for undergrad and then go on to med school. But industrial tech is not engineering, and I wouldn't think that it has nearly enough science in the curriculum to make it a realistic path to med school.

If I remember right all it requires is a year each of calculus, physics, chemistry, anf bio. Most take more, which helps.

HSVDawg
02-05-2016, 11:26 AM

He's actually in Industrial Engineering, unless he changed majors recently. I only know that because I remember it being mentioned during one of the televised games and it stuck with me because that was my major at State. I agree with what you are saying though. Bio Engineering is pretty much the only engineering major that provides a path to medical school. Just about all MSU grads that go to medical school do undergrad in Bio Engineering, Biochemistry, or Microbiology. I'm not even sure there is a dedicated Pre-Med degree at MSU.