PDA

View Full Version : After 4 scrimmages, my guess on opening day lineup....

HoopsDawg
02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
C: Marrero
1B: Lowe
2B: Holland
SS: Gridley
3B: Collins
LF: Cody Brown
CF: Robson
RF: Rooker
DH: Humphreys

2 guys who have been impressive not listed are Mangum and Stovall. Also Kruger had a great fall so I look for him to DH if Hump struggles.

Sexton, Tatum, and Houston have looked best on the mound so far, but we are talking about a small sample size for the pitchers.

missouridawg
02-04-2016, 10:54 AM
From what I've heard, Marrero might be the best catcher we will ever see in Maroon and White. Allegedly, Cohen has stated that he has never coached a freshmen catcher that was as ready to contribute as Marrero is.

Now that I've stayed this, the upper class men will get the majority of the reps.

msstate7
02-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Luke Reynolds looking more like first part of last year or last part of last year? Really interested in who the real Reynolds is...

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Thank goodness...a baseball thread.

That is a safe lineup, and about what I expect. I also expect to see another dozen position players on the field the first weekend. Everyone will have to ear their spot.

What happened with Barfield? He evidently tweeted something last night about letting the team down.

HoopsDawg
02-04-2016, 11:55 AM

That is a safe lineup, and about what I expect. I also expect to see another dozen position players on the field the first weekend. Everyone will have to ear their spot.

What happened with Barfield? He evidently tweeted something last night about letting the team down.

He was either cut or left the team for personal reasons. I think we have to cut 5 more players. msstate7, I think Luke will DH against righties and play some 3B. On Marerro, I think his dad was a pro catcher so he knows what he's doing. He has a quick release and a strong arm, also stole 3 bases over the weekend.

Backwoodsdawg
02-04-2016, 12:23 PM
C: Marrero
1B: Lowe
2B: Holland
SS: Gridley
3B: Collins
LF: Cody Brown
CF: Robson
RF: Rooker
DH: Humphreys

2 guys who have been impressive not listed are Mangum and Stovall. Also Kruger had a great fall so I look for him to DH if Hump struggles.

Sexton, Tatum, and Houston have looked best on the mound so far, but we are talking about a small sample size for the pitchers.

What I have noticed as well is the last 2 scrimmages is Stovall playing 2nd base for "both teams" for 4 or 5 innings and Gridley playing the other innings with no sign of Holland playing or hitting! He has been walking around with a clip board?! Also, you are right on Mangum too ,he has played his butt off trying to get in on the rotation somehow and has done a pretty good job of stating his case as well! As I've said before it is going to be an interesting 16 days to see who they run out on the field. I'm hoping they all stay healthy because there is some talent that can help us make a run if its played the right way!

blacklistedbully
02-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Knowing the way Cohen does things, we will probably see just about everybody playing up until midway through the season. Let's not forget how much he loves to jumble the lineup for much longer than pretty much any other team.

maroonmania
02-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Knowing the way Cohen does things, we will probably see just about everybody playing up until midway through the season. Let's not forget how much he loves to jumble the lineup for much longer than pretty much any other team.

Final decisions will be made based on who are the best bunters in live games.****

maroonmania
02-04-2016, 01:38 PM

Didn't Barfield have some kind of arm or wrist injury he was having trouble recovering from?

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 01:55 PM

With the schedule we have, He can't afford to go very deep into the season with his tryouts. He's got to settle into something pretty quick and not let his tinkering cost us games.

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
What I have noticed as well is the last 2 scrimmages is Stovall playing 2nd base for "both teams" for 4 or 5 innings and Gridley playing the other innings with no sign of Holland playing or hitting! He has been walking around with a clip board?! Also, you are right on Mangum too ,he has played his butt off trying to get in on the rotation somehow and has done a pretty good job of stating his case as well! As I've said before it is going to be an interesting 16 days to see who they run out on the field. I'm hoping they all stay healthy because there is some talent that can help us make a run if its played the right way!

I don't think Holland played much in the fall due to an injury. Cohen didn't mention any injuries in an interview the other day. I'm going to assume Holland is just being protected a bit. I think he's in a position where he's going to start and get the benefit of the doubt for a while. He just needs to hit above .300.

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Has Collins caught at all so far this spring?

Backwoodsdawg
02-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Has Collins caught at all so far this spring?

No he hasn't. Been solely Marrero and Kruger since Lovelady got hit in the head the first day.

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 02:48 PM
No he hasn't. Been solely Marrero and Kruger since Lovelady got hit in the head the first day.

Obviously, this means Collins will start catcher**

HoopsDawg
02-04-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't think Holland played much in the fall due to an injury. Cohen didn't mention any injuries in an interview the other day. I'm going to assume Holland is just being protected a bit. I think he's in a position where he's going to start and get the benefit of the doubt for a while. He just needs to hit above .300.

Holland has played a little 2B and a little SS. I'm still a believer in Holland. In fact, if Gridley struggles at the plate (he had a nice triple in the last scrimmage) I would consider moving Holland to SS and put Stovall in at 2B. Stovall is small but has a nice bat and plays good defense. Luke Alexander is in the mix too, but I'm not sure if the offense is there yet.

BankerDog
02-04-2016, 03:12 PM
I have a former player I'm pretty close with that had to leave the team for medical reasons but is still connected with the guys. Some of the players have told him this team is closer than the one that went to Omaha. They believe they have the talent in place to be very special. Problem with that though means Cohen will never settle on a lineup.

HoopsDawg
02-04-2016, 03:19 PM
I have a former player I'm pretty close with that had to leave the team for medical reasons but is still connected with the guys. Some of the players have told him this team is closer than the one that went to Omaha. They believe they have the talent in place to be very special. Problem with that though means Cohen will never settle on a lineup.

Cohen and the Bullpen are the 2 big question marks.

bulldogcountry1
02-04-2016, 04:02 PM
The disaster of 2015 required that Cohen take a long hard look at every detail of the program. The question is, when he looked at himself, what did he see? Did he see anything wrong with the way he manages games? Did he accept responsibility or did he blame everything on the seams and injuries? I guess that's what I need to know. He's changed his recruiting approach, but has he changed his in-game management approach? I'm concerned that he hasn't, and he will try to take over the game at the first opportunity.

Political Hack
02-04-2016, 04:16 PM
The disaster of 2015 required that Cohen take a long hard look at every detail of the program. The question is, when he looked at himself, what did he see? Did he see anything wrong with the way he manages games? Did he accept responsibility or did he blame everything on the seams and injuries? I guess that's what I need to know. He's changed his recruiting approach, but has he changed his in-game management approach? I'm concerned that he hasn't, and he will try to take over the game at the first opportunity.

Baseball is definitely the hardest sport to coach out of the big 3. It's hard not to meddle when things turn downhill. You can scheme in football and basketball to beat certain teams by attacking weaknesses, but in baseball players have to produce at an individual level for you to have any shot. It's incredibly frustrating to see your team struggle and not be able to do anything about it, which is when Cohen overthinks situations. If our guys are playing well, I think he'll be just fine.

Big4Dawg
02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
C: Marrero - Fr
1B: Lowe - JUCO Jr
2B: Holland - Sr
SS: Gridley -So
3B: Collins - Jr
LF: Cody Brown - Jr
CF: Robson - Jr
RF: Rooker - So
DH: Humphreys - Jr

Doesn't mean anything, just added class to see

DawgFromOxford
02-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Is Cole Gordon still being considered at first base? The one scrimmage I managed to go to he was hitting well. Could of just been his lucky day or poor pitching tho.

I seen it dawg
02-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Baseball is definitely the hardest sport to coach out of the big 3. It's hard not to meddle when things turn downhill. You can scheme in football and basketball to beat certain teams by attacking weaknesses, but in baseball players have to produce at an individual level for you to have any shot. It's incredibly frustrating to see your team struggle and not be able to do anything about it, which is when Cohen overthinks situations. If our guys are playing well, I think he'll be just fine.

And every single player is different and has to be coached differently. Baseball is such an individualistic sport it's easy to let some players get away from you and not reach them.

msstate7
02-04-2016, 08:43 PM
2 weeks from tomorrow boys... I'm ready

weblow
02-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I think you will see a different Cohen this year that learned a lot from some mistakes last year.

I think the biggest question mark is pitching. I know there has been a lot made of our pitching staff but I think it is the most unproven position on the field and will make or break this team.

That being said, cannot wait to be back in the Dude to see how the season unfolds.

I seen it dawg
02-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Can't get here soon enough

engie
02-04-2016, 09:21 PM
And every single player is different and has to be coached differently. Baseball is such an individualistic sport it's easy to let some players get away from you and not reach them.

This is what I laugh about when people get upset about simple things like lineups, etc... For every guy that such trivial matters hurts, there is another guy that thrives in these perceived slights.

It comes back to something he says in recruiting. "You don't always get who you want, but you always get who you are". I'm not sure I like the identity of the Mingione players nearly as much as I liked the identity of the Burroughs guys who were, for the most part, less talented. That said, they certainly get another chance to change my mind this year. And thusfar I really like the mentality that Johnson brings to the pitching staff.

I seen it dawg
02-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Johnson is the key to the season. This team needed a get in your grill kick you in your ass guy. Johnson is that guy.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-04-2016, 11:04 PM
From what I've heard, Marrero might be the best catcher we will ever see in Maroon and White.

But is he a 5 tool kind of a player?? ***

State82
02-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Can't get here soon enough

Yep. I've grown weary of football over the years and basketball has become a distant thought. But, I get like a kid at Christmas as we approach late February at DNF.

Todd4State
02-05-2016, 01:06 AM
This is what I laugh about when people get upset about simple things like lineups, etc... For every guy that such trivial matters hurts, there is another guy that thrives in these perceived slights.

It comes back to something he says in recruiting. "You don't always get who you want, but you always get who you are". I'm not sure I like the identity of the Mingione players nearly as much as I liked the identity of the Burroughs guys who were, for the most part, less talented. That said, they certainly get another chance to change my mind this year. And thusfar I really like the mentality that Johnson brings to the pitching staff.

I bet the "tinkering" bothers our fans more the actual players. If you are a player that is not a bitch you are just happy to be in the lineup. Which is ho it's supposed to be. Statistically speaking there it's better to have a lineup that matches up well against the opposing pitcher as opposed to keeping the lineup the same and keeping players in some mythical "rhythm" which if it actually existed we wouldn't see slumps.

Give me tinkering over Dan's play all upper classmen BS.

Todd4State
02-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Is Cole Gordon still being considered at first base? The one scrimmage I managed to go to he was hitting well. Could of just been his lucky day or poor pitching tho.

Cole is going to be good but Lowe is better right now.

I seen it dawg
02-05-2016, 07:05 AM
I bet the "tinkering" bothers our fans more the actual players. If you are a player that is not a bitch you are just happy to be in the lineup. Which is ho it's supposed to be. Statistically speaking there it's better to have a lineup that matches up well against the opposing pitcher as opposed to keeping the lineup the same and keeping players in some mythical "rhythm" which if it actually existed we wouldn't see slumps.

Give me tinkering over Dan's play all upper classmen BS.

Disagree on the rhythm piece. Some players have to absolutely get in a rhythm to be productive. Most more than not. It's going back to knowing your players.

Coursesuper
02-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Disagree on the rhythm piece. Some players have to absolutely get in a rhythm to be productive. Most more than not. It's going back to knowing your players.

I agree wholeheartedly here. It's all about seeing the ball. Without live reps you see the ball much differently, more reps the better off, more relaxed and more able to concentrate on the pitch and the ball coming out of the pitchers hand and not have to think about it. Just Hit. The constant not knowing if your in the lineup and sense of anxiousness is not a recipe that lends itself confidence in your ability to perform at a high enough level to get it done in the SEC. And BP ain't live reps.

engie
02-05-2016, 09:12 AM

I would say it's split pretty down the middle at this level.

engie
02-05-2016, 09:16 AM
I agree wholeheartedly here. It's all about seeing the ball. Without live reps you see the ball much differently, more reps the better off, more relaxed and more able to concentrate on the pitch and the ball coming out of the pitchers hand and not have to think about it. Just Hit. The constant not knowing if your in the lineup and sense of anxiousness is not a recipe that lends itself confidence in your ability to perform at a high enough level to get it done in the SEC. And BP ain't live reps.

The ball doesn't look a bit different coming out of Dakota Hudson's hand in a scrimmage vs an opposing pitcher in a game. A hitter that needs all of this crap to find a semblance of success -- is most likely to be the first guy to crumble when the actual game pressure arrives. You established it in all of your examples of negative responses to adversity.

chainedup_Dawg
02-05-2016, 09:28 AM
The rhythm aspect in baseball doesn't effect you really much at all if tthe scenario you're talking about is just moving the order of the lineup around. Where it can hurt you is when guys are wondering in the back of their minds if they'll be in the lineup or if they'll get yanked as soon as something goes wrong. Of course, some of that is on the coaches "tinkering" but the vast majority is on the player's mind set. Too often the last few years we've had guys that didn't seem to have that killer instinct in them. I like the core players we have now and hope they've developed it. The young guys pushing the older group seem to.

Coursesuper
02-05-2016, 09:28 AM
The ball doesn't look a bit different coming out of Dakota Hudson's hand in a scrimmage vs an opposing pitcher in a game. A hitter that needs all of this crap to find a semblance of success -- is most likely to be the first guy to crumble when the actual game pressure arrives. You established it in all of your examples of negative responses to adversity.

Don't disagree, I would just like to see some sort of stability in a line up. Live reps are live reps.

engie
02-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Where it can hurt you is when guys are wondering in the back of their minds if they'll be in the lineup or if they'll get yanked as soon as something goes wrong.
If guys are worrying about it -- something is definitely about to go wrong. These "concerns" should not even exist in the mental makeup of the type of players we must have under Cohen to be successful.

Of course, some of that is on the coaches "tinkering" but the vast majority is on the player's mind set. Too often the last few years we've had guys that didn't seem to have that killer instinct in them. I like the core players we have now and hope they've developed it. The young guys pushing the older group seem to.
This is correct, agree with every word.

Here is the deal -- both "types" of players can be successful. Polk had more success with the opposite type of player than Cohen has success with. Truly elite coaches can coach either type successfully -- even together on the same team -- it just takes a lot more work actually understanding the mental makeup of your guys on an individual basis and tailoring your coaching to maximize each of them. But some coaches are going to coach their own way regardless of what makes the player the best they can be -- and it's going to rub the players of the opposite personality type the wrong way. These coaches need "their" type of guys to succeed -- and to be successful at the highest level, they must realize this personality trait in themselves, and go overboard to account for "similar mental makeup" in recruiting. Cohen has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he needs "his" type of guys to have success at the highest level. He can't have mild-mannered, must hit in the 4 hole every day or I crawl into a shell, type of players regardless of how talented they actually are. He needs guys that don't get their "confidence" shaken when he pulls them out of the lineup to overplay a damn matchup(which he does overplay) -- he needs guys that get pissed and fight to prove his mistake in the first place. For all the "tinkering" he is accused of -- it's always with guys that aren't getting the job done. Once something is truly earned by performance on the field -- he has no issue rolling with it.

My reservation about predicting this squad to be a host team is this "fit" among our players. I do think that should be the expectation -- and less should be unacceptable. But it was obviously a square peg in a round hole last year with the personality mesh -- and when the cards were on the table those guys laid down. Can that be fixed in one year? Possibly. I know the personality type that excels under Cohen when I see it(I am this personality type) -- and 4 or 5 of the freshman position players have "it".

preachermatt83
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Look for Hudson to be the starter game one. Houston will eventually be a starter but they have got to get him ready to throw more than 3-4 innings. I look for it to be Hudson, Sexton, TATUM. Will Houston as Long reliever and Brown or Billingsly closing.

Todd4State
02-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Look for Hudson to be the starter game one. Houston will eventually be a starter but they have got to get him ready to throw more than 3-4 innings. I look for it to be Hudson, Sexton, TATUM. Will Houston as Long reliever and Brown or Billingsly closing.

I'd much rather Houston be the closer. Billingsley has been hit some and I want a shut down guy at closer. Not a Jason Isringhausen collegiate version.

preachermatt83
02-05-2016, 01:29 PM
I'd much rather Houston be the closer. Billingsley has been hit some and I want a shut down guy at closer. Not a Jason Isringhausen collegiate version.

I love the idea of Houston as the closer. I just hate taking innings away from him. But yea I agree but it just seems cohen is really high on Billingsly. I read somewhere that Reid my get a shot at the closer spot.

Todd4State
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
I love the idea of Houston as the closer. I just hate taking innings away from him. But yea I agree but it just seems cohen is really high on Billingsly. I read somewhere that Reid my get a shot at the closer spot.

Colleges use closers differently than MLB because they only play 60-70 games approximately. We could use Houston 2-3 innings at a time and that would probably maximize his production.

I like Reid at pitcher too. He has been at 93 or so and o wouldn't be shocked if that is what he does in pro ball.

DawgFromOxford
02-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Robson being an obvious lock, between Smith, Humphreys, Rooker, and Brown which two would you trot out there to give us the best chance offensively and defensively?

Todd4State
02-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Robson being an obvious lock, between Smith, Humphreys, Rooker, and Brown which two would you trot out there to give us the best chance offensively and defensively?

Rooker, Robson, and Cody with Reid at DH.

DawgFromOxford
02-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Rooker, Robson, and Cody with Reid at DH.

Smith used simply for pinch running situations?

I seen it dawg
02-05-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm not talking rhythm as moving around the order. I'm talking in and out of the lineup. It absolutely affects hitters no matter the mindset of the player if they aren't in the lineup on a regular basis. I just disagree on some points I guess.

Todd4State
02-06-2016, 01:19 AM
Smith used simply for pinch running situations?

I wouldn't just use him as a pinch runner. He is a very good defender- he's made SportsCenter highlights a couple of times and has barely played. Offensively, I don't think he's where the other four OF's are so to me he is the odd man out. In fact I think we will see him play a good bit and possibly even platoon with Cody.

Plus, if we're going to let Reid pitch which I am really liking at this point we're going to need someone capable to play out there when he is pitching.