PDA

View Full Version : Current Football Roster Breakdown

engie
02-04-2016, 10:26 AM
This came up in the other thread -- so I thought I'd mention it separately. I'm starting at today projecting forward. So, this past season's juniors are considered seniors, so on and so forth. I'm counting the JUCOS/EEs already on campus as well. Easily could be a number or two off somewhere -- as it's not the simplest thing in the world to go through and break down off memory.

SR - 23(includes Walley -- who may go onto medical scholly I'd think)
JR - 9(includes 2 EE JUCOS, Harris who may go on medical scholly I'd think, and Rankin who redshirted)
SO - 18
FR(rs+ee) - 20
incoming(not on campus yet) - 12 freshmen and 1 junior

Assuming we get everyone in -- we're looking at absolute max of 83. In reality, probably more like 79-80. And we'll lose a couple to normal summer/fall attrition when they lose their spots or aren't as high up the depth chart as they would like to be. So, that drops us down to more like 75 or so.

Alot of stuff to glean from these numbers -- but our roster management isn't so good right now. This class exacerbated the problem when it could have been the 3rd in a row with decent balance and put us well on the way to fixing the problem.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-04-2016, 10:42 AM
What's our attrition rate under Mullen? Like you said in that other thread, 2013 was killer on our numbers.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-04-2016, 11:00 AM
my spreadsheet counts 79 scholarship players including gus & dez. i may be missing a few schollies going to snappers or walk ons, not sure what the numbers are there, but 79 is about right.

1bigdawg
02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
I get 83 with Walley and Harris. We need to sign a great class this year, but we can also use strategy better than before. We probably should have gone after JUCOs harder this year for class balance, but the incredibly small Junior group is going to be a problem. So we can try to oversign, but really gamble on a few high profile players for whom we have to wait until the very end. If we lose them, we have a few left over for the next year, which we will need. If we get them, then they are big time players.

Taog Redloh
02-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Are you counting walk-ons? As long as this is corrected by either JUCOs or a bigger class next year, I don't see an issue. We'll have plenty of upperclassmen in 2016 and depth should not be an issue.

I do wish we'd signed 2 more OL.

sandwolf
02-04-2016, 02:44 PM
I used the 2015 roster from Hailstate.com (http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=10997&SPSID=90891&DB_OEM_ID=16800) as my starting point, and I removed all of the seniors, the juniors who left early, Keith Joseph and all of the walk ons......that left me with the following 68 players that will be on scholarship next year:

Traver Jung Jr.
Fred Brown Jr.
Cedric Jiles Jr.
Tolando Cleveland Jr.
Fred Ross Jr.
Brandon Holloway Jr.
Kivon Coman Jr.
Damian Williams Jr.
Deontay Evans Jr.
Gus Walley Jr.
DeAndre Ward Jr.
Ashton Shumpert Jr.
Richie Brown Jr.
A.J. Jefferson Jr.
Torrey Dale Jr.
Martinas Rankin Jr.
Will Coleman Jr.
Justin Senior Jr.
Jamaal Clayborn Jr.
Devon Desper Jr.
Jocquell Johnson Jr.
Cole Carter Jr.
Nick James Jr.
Nelson Adams Jr.
Johnathan Calvin Jr.
Donald Gray So.
Jamoral Graham So.
Westin Graves So.
Gabe Myles So.
Logan Cooke So.
J.T. Gray So.
Dezmond Harris So.
Jake Thomas So.
Elijah Staley Fr.
Gerri Green Fr.
Nick Fitzgerald Fr.
Jamal Peters Fr.
Nick Tiano Fr.
Deddrick Thomas Fr.
Brandon Bryant Fr.
Nick Gibson Fr.
Malik Dear Fr.
Keith Mixon Fr.
Chris Rayford Fr.
Alec Murphy Fr.
Aeris Williams Fr.
Chris Stamps Fr.
Maurice Smitherman Fr.
Dontavian Lee Fr.
Cory Thomas Fr.
Mark McLaurin Fr.
Fletcher Adams Fr.
Leo Lewis Fr.
Tim Washington Fr.
Deion Calhoun Fr.
Michael Story Fr.
Darryl Williams Fr.
Ronald Cochran Fr.
Elgton Jenkins Fr.
Harrison Moon Fr.
Justin Johnson Fr.
Farrod Green Fr.
Jonnas Spivey Fr.
Jesse Jackson Fr.
Grant Harris Fr.
Anfernee Mullins Fr.
Kendell Jones Fr.
Braxton Hoyett Fr.

Is there anyone on this list that shouldn't be? If not, then the incoming class should put us at 86 scholarship players, prior to attrition. So while that number is definitely a little lower than you'd like it to be, I am not seeing 10 unused scholarships. And I would rather save those scholarships for next year than just throw them at some MAC level recruits, just for the sake of having a full roster next fall.

Coach34
02-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Jake Thomas and Cole Carter are not on scholarship anymore

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I used the 2015 roster from Hailstate.com (http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=10997&SPSID=90891&DB_OEM_ID=16800)

Is there anyone on this list that shouldn't be? If not, then the incoming class should put us at 86 scholarship players, prior to attrition. So while that number is definitely a little lower than you'd like it to be, I am not seeing 10 unused scholarships. And I would rather save those scholarships for next year than just throw them at some MAC level recruits, just for the sake of having a full roster next fall.

minus Thomas & Carter, as 34 said, those + the incoming class are the same 84 I have. My formula was off in my 1st post. I assume we lose 2-4 of those due to medical & unforeseen reasons. So if we end up w/ 80 this year, does that mean we can sign 30 next year?

engie
02-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Ward is a walk-on. He was awarded a scholarship when it shook out that we had extras. That's a one year deal -- and he's hardly a scholarship-worthy linebacker to tie one up the rest of his career.
Graves is a walk-on.
Thomas is out.
Carter is out.
Harris and Walley are candidates for medical scholarships to not count against the 85.

So, 86 becomes 80-82 -- and we are assuming all of the freshmen and one remaining JUCO recruit get into school(with the greatly stiffened acceptance terms from the NCAA this year). And we haven't even started spring practice yet. We will lose a couple more in spring and a couple more in summer. When role is counted in August -- we will most likely be at 75-78.

I get that it's being spun as "we're at 85" counting the walk-ons that have been awarded and playing a best possible case scenario instead of a realistic one -- but we do not have to be at 85 players today nor should we be. That is the number we need to be at in 6 months. We undersigned by at least 7 kids in this class if we were going to start the season full. We created a number problem here and now that is going to take at least 2 classes to correct. Good attrition can't happen/doesn't make sense when the roster isn't full.

Taog Redloh
02-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Jake Thomas and Cole Carter are not on scholarship anymore
So we've only got 11 OL on the roster at present? 14 this fall?

Holy shit. We will lose 4 more next year, putting us at 10. We need 5 minimum in 2017 just to stay alive.

engie
02-04-2016, 03:18 PM
minus Thomas & Carter, as 34 said, those + the incoming class are the same 84 I have. My formula was off in my 1st post. I assume we lose 2-4 of those due to medical & unforeseen reasons. So if we end up w/ 80 this year, does that mean we can sign 30 next year?

We'll be very lucky to start this year with 80. But the 85 number doesn't have anything to do with how many we can sign. We'll be able to sign somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 next year via the 25 rule and the eligible countbacks. Hence how Saban manages to sign within a gnats ass of 25 every year regardless.

HoopsDawg
02-04-2016, 03:23 PM
We'll be very lucky to start this year with 80. But the 85 number doesn't have jack to do with how many we can sign. We'll be able to sign somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 next year via the 25 rule and the eligible countbacks.

I would like to see us sign 5 quality Juco players + 23 HS players for a total of 28 signees assuming all will make their grades. It's all dependent on the quality of kids we can sign of course, but 28 is a good number. Right now our coaches need to be talking to every single Juco coach in the state to identify the top talent and start helping these kids get their grades in order to be out next December. We really sucked on the Juco scene this year.

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 03:29 PM
I would like to see us sign 5 quality Juco players + 23 HS players for a total of 28 signees assuming all will make their grades. It's all dependent on the quality of kids we can sign of course, but 28 is a good number. Right now our coaches need to be talking to every single Juco coach in the state to identify the top talent and start helping these kids get their grades in order to be out next December. We really sucked on the Juco scene this year.

They sent several more JUCO offers for the 2017 out already this week. They are looking at that hard like you said.

I want to see what Champion does this fall. Been looking pretty good