PDA

View Full Version : My final thoughts

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-03-2016, 11:18 PM
THe class of 2016 will definitely go down as one of the most unique groups that has ever come down the pike. What happened to the good ole days when you could just fax your letter and hug momma and say "we gonna be alright".

What we learned (and I am keeping this to the players only. Y'all got enough threads bashing the coaches) is that there are two totally different kinds of kids that fit the Msu mold. You have two kids like Kobe Jones and Jeffrey Simmons that bust their rear ends every day, and let their talking be done of the field. That fits what most of us are about. Then you have the Prima Donna that goes out of his way to embarrass his community and the people that supported him by running his mouth nonstop on Twitter. That's the ole miss way.

While I am extremely proud of every single kid that picked the maroon and white, I want to pick out a few that are just special. This group while not good enough for the experts (still don't know what except kissing the right ass qualifies them for that title) to give an overly raving review of them, will succeed and make us proud.

I want to begin with the bellcow. The franchise. The glue. CJ Morgan Walker. If you had a son. This is what you want him to be. This kid just does everything the right way. In the classroom, on the field, in the community.....Courtney if you are reading this I know you are proud and you got every right to be brother. If you dont follow this young man in Twitter do so. Everything that was good about Dak is good about CJ.

Cameron Dantzler. could develop into one of the most gifted defensive backs ever to wear the uniform. This kid is special. Whatever it is, he has it. Long and instinctive, he is a physical specimen. LSU let this one get away and they will regret it.

Korey Charles- sudden. Explosive. Game changer. Take your pick. All describe him. But what describes him best of all is hard worker. Common theme here. If you don't know him you will. Mark my words.

Kobe Jones-- he gets it. He knows how important he was to all of us. And he cares. You out that with the work ethic of Fletcher Cox and You have Kobe. This kid should instantly be in your top three of favorite players on the roster. Cause he knows, he cares, and he is one of us.

Jeffery Simmons- he went to the country club. He saw what they were about. He left saying "no, not likely". Nothing about that lifestyle or that community fit Mr Simmons. He didn't want that wad of cash given to him, he wanted to earn it. Jeffery don't talk. He lets his play and his actions talk. If that's not a Bulldog I don't know what is. Not sure how many saw but I love the fact that Coach Shorter admitted that Ole Miss wasn't even in consideration after he left Sodam and Gamora last weekend

Really Clark?
02-03-2016, 11:24 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ElitedawgRecruiting again.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Beautiful. Thank you.

MSUDeltadawg1971
02-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Great assessment, I'm also looking forward to Marquiss Spencer.

State82
02-03-2016, 11:49 PM
One of the best posts of recruiting season. Bravo.

Noxdog
02-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Than Cameron & Korey, spot on & perfect.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Than Cameron & Korey, spot on & perfect.

Thanks brother. Long day

Noxdog
02-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Ha, no prob. Thank you.

messageboardsuperhero
02-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Can't remember if it was here or another site where I read a rumor about an unnamed big-time prospect UM wanted that was supposedly very much turned off by the recruitapalooza throw down in Oxford last weekend.

Is it safe to assume that prospect was Simmons?

GTHOM
02-04-2016, 12:05 AM
You add in Simmons and Kobe Jones with our DL now and the others we got in this class, Coach Turners crew should be nasty

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Can't remember if it was here or another site where I read a rumor about an unnamed big-time prospect UM wanted that was supposedly very much turned off by the recruitapalooza throw down in Oxford last weekend.

Is it safe to assume that prospect was Simmons?

Kobe was very turned off. Left early, didn't talk with media and went pretty much straight to our campus. The UNM "insiders" had to know we knew they were just trolling that they had the 3 wrapped up.

Simmons and his mom did text our coaches over that weekend as well. That's not a good sign usually either. When a recruit is on an OV and him and his mom are texting another staff, not good usually.

Cruz
02-04-2016, 12:07 AM
I'm looking forward to the guys that we have on board. It seems like a lot of folks here are pretty excited about Errol Thompson too.

swdawg
02-04-2016, 12:08 AM
Yes, that would be correct.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-04-2016, 12:10 AM
Errol, Marquiss, Nero, Parker, Big Greg, Dontae...... More talent there then most folks realize

yjnkdawg
02-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Great Post, Elite.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 12:59 AM
Great post EDR

I do have a question though. We seem to be a program that attracts blue collar guys and not prima donnas, but is that a good thing long term?

What's more attractive to an out of state recruit, flash or grinding it out?
What's more attractive to an out of state recruit, huge parties or 5:30 am workouts?

My point is that I love our identity and what it stands for, but I question if you can win big with it. It would be a great NFL indentity and no doubt one that is similar to the Patriots, but college football is about recruiting and in order to recruit at a high level, you've got to have something that's bait. Perhaps if we were located in a talent rich populated state I wouldn't say that, but with only three million people in MS and Ole Miss and us likely splitting talent with Bama and LSU nabbing some now, I don't believe the program can get to where it needs to get to with this identity alone. We must appeal to a greater number of today's prospects. This isn't 1965

Bucky Dog
02-04-2016, 01:16 AM
Great post EDR

I do have a question though. We seem to be a program that attracts blue collar guys and not prima donnas, but is that a good thing long term?

What's more attractive to an out of state recruit, huge parties or 5:30 am workouts?

My point is that I love our identity and what it stands for, but I question if you can win big with it. It would be a great NFL indentity and no doubt one that is similar to the Patriots, but college football is about recruiting and in order to recruit at a high level, you've got to have something that's bait. Perhaps if we were located in a talent rich populated state I wouldn't say that, but with only three million people in MS and Ole Miss and us likely splitting talent with Bama and LSU nabbing some now, I don't believe the program can get to where it needs to get to with this identity alone. We must appeal to a greater number of today's prospects. This isn't 1965

I don't care what is more attractive. It's not Ms State! Let's keep getting the guys that want to be here. Someone posted earlier that in the 9 years Mullen has been here we have averaged in the 20's nationally and 11 in the SEC in recruiting and have done pretty well. Yeah, yeah, you have these guys on here say if average is good enough the. You suck! Have we really been average with those classes? Can we get better? Of course. But again, do it the right way and develop these guys, while also getting a little better at recruiting. I think Mullen is taking the next steps with Sirmon and Buckley.

Todd4State
02-04-2016, 01:21 AM
While I think your post is very good, we need some immediate impact guys that have some swag- and sometimes those are "prima donnas". And usually they are at skill positions.

And to be clear, I'm not saying we need a lot of them nor am I saying we should stop recruiting blue collar hard working types. We need a good mix. Last year I thought we lacked a lot of energy for long stretches especially at the beginning. That's where the swag guys help out a lot.

IMO an ideal class for us would be 15 blue chip kind of guys like Jamal Peters or Chris Jones, 5 blue collar hard working types of guys like Tavese Calhoun and 5 raw athlete types that can be developed like Benardrick McKinney.

Todd4State
02-04-2016, 01:25 AM
Great post EDR

Even the Patriots have the biggest prima donna in the NFL- and not coincidentally he is still their best player. Actually Brady and Gronkowski are prima donnas now that I think about it.

I agree in that I think our model will keep us winning consistently but at the same time I don't think we will ever come close to reaching our ceiling doing it the way we are either. Which to me means being a 6-8 win a year program when we could be a 10 win a year program with someone that can bring in the talent and develop it.

We've done a great job developing 2-3 star guys. Imagine what we could do if we were getting 4-5 star guys more frequently.

Todd4State
02-04-2016, 01:29 AM
I don't care what is more attractive. It's not Ms State! Let's keep getting the guys that want to be here. Someone posted earlier that in the 9 years Mullen has been here we have averaged in the 20's nationally and 11 in the SEC in recruiting and have done pretty well. Yeah, yeah, you have these guys on here say if average is good enough the. You suck! Have we really been average with those classes? Can we get better? Of course. But again, do it the right way and develop these guys, while also getting a little better at recruiting. I think Mullen is taking the next steps with Sirmon and Buckley.

When I think of Ole Miss I think of rich preppy white boys from some private school that are spoiled douchebags. How many of their football players that they have recruited fit that mold that actually play more than mop up duty against UT-Martin?

You have to bring in talent whether that talent fits your archeotype or not.

Bucky Dog
02-04-2016, 01:34 AM
When I think of Ole Miss I think of rich preppy white boys from some private school that are spoiled douchebags. How many of their football players that they have recruited fit that mold that actually play more than mop up duty against UT-Martin?

You have to bring in talent whether that talent fits your archeotype or not.

But Todd, what I am saying is we are not going to bring in the talent right now like Bama or LSU or insert a few others, unless we cheat our ass off like OM and I'm not willing to do that! We can get a few more 4 and 5 stars like you said, and we did that last year. But damn we need to not let one year define us in recruiting or our future success after we had 19 wins and two really good recruiting classes those years.

Todd4State
02-04-2016, 01:43 AM
But Todd, what I am saying is we are not going to bring in the talent right now like Bama or LSU or insert a few others, unless we cheat our ass off like OM and I'm not willing to do that! We can get a few more 4 and 5 stars like you said, and we did that last year. But damn we need to not let one year define us in recruiting or our future success after we had 19 wins and two really good recruiting classes those years.

If you're not going forward you are going backwards. For us to be consistently good we have to in the words of John Cohen "stack" one good class after the other. Some of the mistakes we made this year are unacceptable and egregious. I could tolerate it if we just got beat out- but this appears to be more about our staff being lazy than anything. The fact that we are coming off of two "good" seasons makes it even worse. Look at the class Cohen brought in during the next recruiting cycle after we made our CWS run. Why isn't that happening in football?

Personally, I don't think we have to cheat to get a few more 4-5 stars. See Fred Ross, Beniquez Brown among others. What we have to do is have our staff recruit harder and place more emphasis on it. We need to dominate Mississippi first and then fill in the blanks with about 3-5 out of state four star guys. It's very doable on the up and up. Cohen and Howland have no problem bringing in out of state guys that are elite- and yet we aren't even in the game for a 4-5 star legacy from Atlanta? That should have been a guy that we should have obviously been on like white on rice. I know he would be a Dog if he played baseball or basketball.

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Quit buying the narrative that the staff is lazy. They have a type kid they are looking for and that is all they look for. If you are the type looking for a payday then they tend to back off and not pursue the drama. It is also going to rule out a lot of kids by default that fans want our staff to pursue. I would think after 8 years that would have been evident to so many people who live and breath MSU football.

If you want to criticize our recruiting, call it too narrow, too limited in reach. Call for it to be more national or regional. But you can not pull guys like Simmons, Leo Lewis, Chris Jones, etc. by being lazy. You also don't find guys like Dak, Tavese, Banks, Slay, Vic, Preston, Fletcher, etc. by being lazy.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Here is the biggest issue with the MSU fanbase when it comes to that kind of kid. You take a kid that has what your asking for Todd. Full of bravado and swag as you say. When he gets on campus and has that attitude and that style, our fans constantly berate him. Example you may ask. Elijah Staley. How many times has it been written on this board and every other Miss State board that "I am just not sure he has the leadership qualities we need". Not based off of talent. Not based off of work ethic. Based off of how he acts and is perceived. We can't see past the swag long enough to realize that this kid is simply the most physically gifted quarterback we have ever had on our campus. Before everyone melts Down I didn't say he was better then Dak. Dak is once in a lifetime. We all know that. But if you go just on physical gifts and what the good lord gave you Staley is a freak of nature.

While everyone raved for weeks about the talent of the "best wide receive to come out of Mississippi in a long time", which was BS to begin with, anyone I talked to privately can attest to the fact that I have been saying talented yes, but a huge head case and a ton of baggage. Turns out I was right. Freeze will let the inmates run the asylum. He could care less as long as he gets to get in tv and say "aw shucks I prayed for patience and butter milk with my corn bread today".

I agree we need more talent. An influx of it and 2017 provides a lot more hen 2016 did. Anyone who says different is wrong. But swag without heart and hard work equals flights out of Atlanta motel Windows

Really Clark?
02-04-2016, 08:27 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ElitedawgRecruiting again

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2016, 08:31 AM
^^^ this.

ShotgunDawg
02-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Good post EDR.

1. You may be right about Staley and I look forward to him changing the perception through having success.

2. One other problem with most fans and Staley is that we've only seen him play about 4 or 5 snaps since he's been on campus. I think sometimes insiders that maybe go to practice or have sources lose sight of the fact that 95% of this board doesn't have that access or live close enough to do that. So all we see is a guy dabbing on the sideline without the counter of him looking like Cam Newton when he plays. Once he makes a play in a game, I doubt you hear much else about his personality.

basedog
02-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Here is the biggest issue with the MSU fanbase when it comes to that kind of kid. You take a kid that has what your asking for Todd. Full of bravado and swag as you say. When he gets on campus and has that attitude and that style, our fans constantly berate him. Example you may ask. Elijah Staley. How many times has it been written on this board and every other Miss State board that "I am just not sure he has the leadership qualities we need". Not based off of talent. Not based off of work ethic. Based off of how he acts and is perceived. We can't see past the swag long enough to realize that this kid is simply the most physically gifted quarterback we have ever had on our campus. Before everyone melts Down I didn't say he was better then Dak. Dak is once in a lifetime. We all know that. But if you go just on physical gifts and what the good lord gave you Staley is a freak of nature.

While everyone raved for weeks about the talent of the "best wide receive to come out of Mississippi in a long time", which was BS to begin with, anyone I talked to privately can attest to the fact that I have been saying talented yes, but a huge head case and a ton of baggage. Turns out I was right. Freeze will let the inmates run the asylum. He could care less as long as he gets to get in tv and say "aw shucks I prayed for patience and butter milk with my corn bread today".

I agree we need more talent. An influx of it and 2017 provides a lot more hen 2016 did. Anyone who says different is wrong. But swag without heart and hard work equals flights out of Atlanta motel Windows

Well said! Character plays a big part or it should, it's about We not I, under Mullen we have had very little character or discipline problems compared to the other school.

And yes we can always use more talent, Todd4state made a commit about stacking recruiting classes, not to say he isn't right but baseball is a much different sport compared to football. Red shirting football players is much more important because they need to get bigger and stronger. You can be a little man and excel in baseball but football players to be bigger, stronger, faster and a helluva lot more meaner.

I'm glad recruiting is over, time will tell how all this unfolds, I will say Mullen and staff need to evaluate what they are doing as for as recruiting. I'm sure with new younger coaches aboard now it will be talked about for the 2017 class.

Dawgface
02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Quit buying the narrative that the staff is lazy. They have a type kid they are looking for and that is all they look for. If you are the type looking for a payday then they tend to back off and not pursue the drama. It is also going to rule out a lot of kids by default that fans want our staff to pursue. I would think after 8 years that would have been evident to so many people who live and breath MSU football.

If you want to criticize our recruiting, call it too narrow, too limited in reach. Call for it to be more national or regional. But you can not pull guys like Simmons, Leo Lewis, Chris Jones, etc. by being lazy. You also don't find guys like Dak, Tavese, Banks, Slay, Vic, Preston, Fletcher, etc. by being lazy.

Agree and nice review EDR.

Beaver
02-04-2016, 09:13 AM
But swag without heart and hard work equals flights out of Atlanta motel Windows

Beautiful

BorneDawg
02-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Glad to see others on here who agree with my thoughts! I said awhile back in a post that I was proud we didn't stoop to the unethical antics that our two faced northern U coaches use ( and was told we need to do things like unm and forget staying honest to win no matter what). Yeah we miss on a few here and there and maybe that cost us a game or too each year. I had rather be who we are and slowly close the gap than sell our soul like unm to cheat our way to winning more!

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
THe class of 2016 will definitely go down as one of the most unique groups that has ever come down the pike. What happened to the good ole days when you could just fax your letter and hug momma and say "we gonna be alright".

What we learned (and I am keeping this to the players only. Y'all got enough threads bashing the coaches) is that there are two totally different kinds of kids that fit the Msu mold. You have two kids like Kobe Jones and Jeffrey Simmons that bust their rear ends every day, and let their talking be done of the field. That fits what most of us are about. Then you have the Prima Donna that goes out of his way to embarrass his community and the people that supported him by running his mouth nonstop on Twitter. That's the ole miss way.

While I am extremely proud of every single kid that picked the maroon and white, I want to pick out a few that are just special. This group while not good enough for the experts (still don't know what except kissing the right ass qualifies them for that title) to give an overly raving review of them, will succeed and make us proud.

I want to begin with the bellcow. The franchise. The glue. CJ Morgan Walker. If you had a son. This is what you want him to be. This kid just does everything the right way. In the classroom, on the field, in the community.....Courtney if you are reading this I know you are proud and you got every right to be brother. If you dont follow this young man in Twitter do so. Everything that was good about Dak is good about CJ.

Cameron Dantzler. could develop into one of the most gifted defensive backs ever to wear the uniform. This kid is special. Whatever it is, he has it. Long and instinctive, he is a physical specimen. LSU let this one get away and they will regret it.

Korey Charles- sudden. Explosive. Game changer. Take your pick. All describe him. But what describes him best of all is hard worker. Common theme here. If you don't know him you will. Mark my words.

Kobe Jones-- he gets it. He knows how important he was to all of us. And he cares. You out that with the work ethic of Fletcher Cox and You have Kobe. This kid should instantly be in your top three of favorite players on the roster. Cause he knows, he cares, and he is one of us.

Jeffery Simmons- he went to the country club. He saw what they were about. He left saying "no, not likely". Nothing about that lifestyle or that community fit Mr Simmons. He didn't want that wad of cash given to him, he wanted to earn it. Jeffery don't talk. He lets his play and his actions talk. If that's not a Bulldog I don't know what is. Not sure how many saw but I love the fact that Coach Shorter admitted that Ole Miss wasn't even in consideration after he left Sodam and Gamora last weekend

Best post on here in a LONG while. There are a lot of people who seem to want us to turn into Ole Miss, or at least use their tactics. I went to MSU because it WASN'T Ole Miss. It's everything Ole Miss isn't and nothing that Ole Miss is and that is what I have always loved about the place.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Great post EDR

We aren't Ole Miss and we damn well better not ever become Ole Miss.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
While I think your post is very good, we need some immediate impact guys that have some swag- and sometimes those are "prima donnas". And usually they are at skill positions.

And to be clear, I'm not saying we need a lot of them nor am I saying we should stop recruiting blue collar hard working types. We need a good mix. Last year I thought we lacked a lot of energy for long stretches especially at the beginning. That's where the swag guys help out a lot.

IMO an ideal class for us would be 15 blue chip kind of guys like Jamal Peters or Chris Jones, 5 blue collar hard working types of guys like Tavese Calhoun and 5 raw athlete types that can be developed like Benardrick McKinney.

Renardo Sidney comes to mind. Perfect example of that type player.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2016, 09:46 AM

You would think people would have this figured out by now. We are doing better than we ever have by doing it too.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Excellent post.

PassInterference
02-04-2016, 09:57 AM
But swag without heart and hard work equals

..beating our ass in Egg Bowls.

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Question - What Do you consider "Blue Chip"? A four Star minimum? A 3 with multiple P5 offers?
Let's say 4* is an auto "Blue Chip", and a 3* with 3 P5 offers is too. Then this class has 10 "Blue Chips" out of 18 kids. And that doesn't include Durr who was a sign and place who no one recruited this go round. Isn't that pretty close to your 15/5/5 in a year with a small class?

the59dawg
02-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Amen. Way to lead us. Thanks