PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lashley

Natedogg33
02-03-2016, 10:14 PM
While everyone is getting over their meltdown, I have a question about Lashley. I understand he was ranked as a 4 star that lived 15 minutes away from campus, and he is apparently related to one of our greatest players of all time. Should've been an easy pick up. He certainly has the measureables to be regarded as a high end guy.
My question is this. Did any of y'all see him play? If so, were you highly impressed? Or was he worth his rating? I ask this because, early on, my understanding was there was very little to no game tape on him. Something about he was growing in to his body. He basically got his rating from camp showings, size and future potential. I personally have to take a breather on him, because I can't see a guy that highly regarded having not started 2 or 3 years in high school. Find it odd. And I could be completely off base, and if so thank you for informing me otherwise.
He may be great, and my questions aren't meant to be a knock on him. Just wanted some first hand opinion on the reasoning for our freak out.

MSUDeltadawg1971
02-03-2016, 10:20 PM
First he is not kin to Johnnie. Second, he was going to have to redshirt just like he will at Bama. Only difference he would have played three years here and he won't at Bama. He has 2-3 5 stars ahead of him. He would have been our answer to the missing left tackle but he would not have come in as an immediate impact such as Simmons. He burnt a major bridge, I hope he makes it at Bama.

missouridawg
02-03-2016, 10:21 PM
There isn't one player that signs with Alabama that we shouldn't want. Maybe a QB on occasion, but no one else.

TUSK
02-03-2016, 10:33 PM
First he is not kin to Johnnie. Second, he was going to have to redshirt just like he will at Bama. Only difference he would have played three years here and he won't at Bama. He has 2-3 5 stars ahead of him. He would have been our answer to the missing left tackle but he would not have come in as an immediate impact such as Simmons. He burnt a major bridge, I hope he makes it at Bama.

'71, this is something that I've asked several times before, so perhaps you can give me an answer re: Bama's LT Depth....

who do you have at LT for Bammer beyond Cam (who will be gone after this year)?

edit: actually, the whole OL, if you've the time & don't mind...

Coach34
02-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Most people think he is a future NFL OT-enough said

Natedogg33
02-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Delta, I know you've stated he and johnnie aren't related. I kind of posed that as the way everyone has understood it. Wether it was false or not. And he may very well have been our left tackle in 3 years.
Missouri, I think Saban took this year to take a small shot over the bow of the Mississippi teams. All three guys he took have issues, in my non expert opinion. He can afford to steal projects from us, because he doesn't miss on many. Grey shirt or red shirt em, damage them and put them on medical.

TUSK
02-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Most people think he is a future NFL OT-enough said

that's kinda what I was thinkin', Coach... he may be a bit "raw", but that size & speed can't be coached, IMO...

I think he's expected to be more than just a "flier"...

Natedogg33
02-03-2016, 10:44 PM
If that's the case coach, we will have truly dropped the ball. But I've been around guys that made it that you'd have never expected and seen others not do jack that you thought would. It's an imperfect science, especially on the line.

msstate7
02-03-2016, 10:44 PM
that's kinda what I was thinkin', Coach... he may be a bit "raw", but that size & speed can't be coached, IMO...

Make no mistake though, he is a project. You guys recruit at such a high level that lashley better not take too long to start projecting or he'll be processed in favor of a more finished player

defiantdog
02-03-2016, 10:46 PM

I doubt Bama will be patient with him though. The dude needs some work

Natedogg33
02-03-2016, 10:46 PM
I hate we missed on Lashley, I just wanted a little first hand knowledge.

TUSK
02-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Make no mistake though, he is a project. You guys recruit at such a high level that lashley better not take too long to start projecting or he'll be processed in favor of a more finished player

Oh, I agree completely, but there are so many variables... My point is that those who are saying that Lashley will definitely "ride the pine" for years behind a pile of "5 stars" when they likely don't know the depth situation at all of Bammer's OL positions...

MSUDeltadawg1971
02-03-2016, 10:53 PM
'71, this is something that I've asked several times before, so perhaps you can give me an answer re: Bama's LT Depth....

who do you have at LT for Bammer beyond Cam (who will be gone after this year)?

edit: actually, the whole OL, if you've the time & don't mind...

I believe your starting left tackle is a sophomore, Lester cotton is a freshman, just early enrolled a juco all American and a 5 star high school kid. Not counting what you have that will come off redshirted this year.

I just think with him being a project Bama may not have patience with him to develop. I hope I'm wrong.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-03-2016, 11:06 PM
All I know is Lashley has to beat out two 5* tackles & a 4* guard who enrolled early & have a full spring on him, as well as a 4* guard who signed today, all of whom were rated higher than him. IDK what else bama has but getting on the field ahead of that is a tall task in itself, w/o even considering the 5*s coming next year. That's enough for me to believe that Lashley will never be more than high quality depth at bama. Great for saban, great for bama, great for the wal mart fans who will never know his name.. bad for the kid, bad for the prospect.

TUSK
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
I believe your starting left tackle is a sophomore, Lester cotton is a freshman, just early enrolled a juco all American and a 5 star high school kid. Not counting what you have that will come off redshirted this year.

I just think with him being a project Bama may not have patience with him to develop. I hope I'm wrong.

LT Cam Robinson will go pro.... his backup Kirven will graduate....
Cotton (SO) will play OG unless the sky falls on us... he is a swing lineman...
The new JUCO kid (Baldwin) is a RT next year (unless he sucks... if he does, we're screwed)...
The 5* kid from Cali is an early '16 entry and "projects" well, but is still unproven and needs more size, IMO...

MSUDeltadawg1971
02-03-2016, 11:15 PM
As I said, hope it works for him, if not, oh well

TUSK
02-03-2016, 11:17 PM
All I know is Lashley has to beat out two 5* tackles & a 4* guard who enrolled early & have a full spring on him, as well as a 4* guard who signed today, all of whom were rated higher than him. IDK what else bama has but getting on the field ahead of that is a tall task in itself, w/o even considering the 5*s coming next year. That's enough for me to believe that Lashley will never be more than high quality depth at bama. Great for saban, great for bama, great for the wal mart fans who will never know his name.. bad for the kid, bad for the prospect.

You may be right buddy... but I'm willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt...

shoeless joe
02-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Scott is a good kid but he handled his recruitment poorly. He was ranked based on size and athleticism...not production. He has never played a full season of football. I hoped he would go to state and we'd watch him develop but he made his choice.

I will also say that folks who think West Point is a miss state stronghold are badly mistaken. It's almost as bad as bammer central...aka, lowndes county.

banded
02-04-2016, 12:32 AM
He and Knott will end up at JSU with TV in my opinion

bulldawg28
02-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Raw is an understatement. He's a big guy that's just learning to use it. He's average on run blocking unless the guy is stupid enough to attempt a bullrush and extremely raw on pass blocking. His ratings are a generic eye test of height to weight versus high school kids. The fact that he was rated a 4* is absurd with no technique or football experience. He has no football IQ and everything he's learning. He has pure potential.. Only. He could be great once he figures everything out or bust 101 due that he has a short time to learn.

TUSK
02-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Raw is an understatement. He's a big guy that's just learning to use it. He's average on run blocking unless the guy is stupid enough to attempt a bullrush and extremely raw on pass blocking. His ratings are a generic eye test of height to weight versus high school kids. The fact that he was rated a 4* is absurd with no technique or football experience. He has no football IQ and everything he's learning. He has pure potential.. Only. He could be great once he figures everything out or bust 101 due that he has a short time to learn.

I've heard the same, 28... Well, at least, we'll have some good size for depth/mop up duty if he doesn't pan out...

shannondawg
02-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Scott is a good kid but he handled his recruitment poorly. He was ranked based on size and athleticism...not production. He has never played a full season of football. I hoped he would go to state and we'd watch him develop but he made his choice.

I will also say that folks who think West Point is a miss state stronghold are badly mistaken. It's almost as bad as bammer central...aka, lowndes county.

I'm lived my whole life in wp until 8 years ago. At one time we had one of the Bulldog Clubs largest chapters per capita , but don't think thats the case anymore. There is a large contingent of om fans there, but mostly bandwagons with no large donors other than my buddy.

defiantdog
02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm lived my whole life in wp until 8 years ago. At one time we had one of the Bulldog Clubs largest chapters per capita , but don't think thats the case anymore. There is a large contingent of om fans there, but mostly bandwagons with no large donors other than my buddy.
im done letting Mullen use my helicopter to go to West Point if they're full of OM folks now********

shannondawg
02-04-2016, 04:39 PM
im done letting Mullen use my helicopter to go to West Point if they're full of OM folks now********

But there are a lot more bulldogs, too many to count, even what you would call a cigar boy, but he is straight as they come, not in the ego driven mode like most of em.

KB21
02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Lashley is an inexperienced kid who has only played football for two years. He has a lot of potential, but he also has a chronic leg condition called Blount's Disease, where his knees may progressively become more bowed. I don't know how this will effect him long term at this point. I know that this is the reason he has only played 2 years.

bulldawg28
02-04-2016, 05:01 PM
I've heard the same, 28... Well, at least, we'll have some good size for depth/mop up duty if he doesn't pan out...

Lol.. that's true.

mstatefan91
02-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Lashley is an inexperienced kid who has only played football for two years. He has a lot of potential, but he also has a chronic leg condition called Blount's Disease, where his knees may progressively become more bowed. I don't know how this will effect him long term at this point. I know that this is the reason he has only played 2 years.

Blount's disease can sometimes be corrected with surgery. I see that he had multiple surgeries from 7th to 9th grade. My guess is that they got the growth plate aligned correctly... don't know for sure though.

TUSK
02-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Blount's disease can sometimes be corrected with surgery. I see that he had multiple surgeries from 7th to 9th grade. My guess is that they got the growth plate aligned correctly... don't know for sure though.

I read that the condition was corrected with surgery... if not, he could still get a degree while on medical scholarship, if he wants...

I hadn't thought of that angle, actually...

maroonmania
02-04-2016, 05:57 PM

I hope you are right. I would be just fine if Lashley, RDavis and Knott all fall flat on their face and get processed by the Saban machine. If they go over and become All-American types all that will do is encourage more MS HS players to jump over the line and play for Saban when given the chance. Saban hasn't hurt us that much before because he usually signs HS players that are highly touted AND highly developed which is not something you find with most MS HS players so he really hasn't targeted MS that much. Players in MS usually tend to have lots of potential but are quite raw. Lashley, due to not playing much HS football, is even rawer than most. Will be interesting to see what happens to him over there.

TUSK
02-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I hope you are right. I would be just fine if Lashley, RDavis and Knott all fall flat on their face and get processed by the Saban machine. If they go over and become All-American types all that will do is encourage more MS HS players to jump over the line and play for Saban when given the chance. Saban hasn't hurt us that much before because he usually signs HS players that are highly touted AND highly developed which is not something you find with most MS HS players so he really hasn't targeted MS that much. Players in MS usually tend to have lots of potential but are quite raw. Lashley, due to not playing much HS football, is even rawer than most. Will be interesting to see what happens to him over there.

if any of those cats wash out at Bama, would be ok with them coming to State (if you thought they could contribute), or is that bridge burned?

paco
02-04-2016, 06:04 PM

This is one scouting report synopsis on Lashley:

Lashley is an interesting prospect. Looks like a bit of a frustrated TE at the HS level and will need to fully embrace his fate as a less glorified, 'lunch pail' carrying OT, but if he does he brings some tools that could allow him to gain attention for his play there. Still raw and needs to settle in and focus on OT and at this stage not an early contributor, but a big man with some real promising upside.

MSUDawg99
02-04-2016, 06:19 PM
if any of those cats wash out at Bama, would be ok with them coming to State (if you thought they could contribute), or is that bridge burned?

Knowing Mullen's arrogance, the bridge is burned.

TUSK
02-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Knowing Mullen's arrogance, the bridge is burned.

Did you and I meet at the Bammer/MSU game, by chance? That handle "rings a bell"... pardon the pun....

MSUDawg99
02-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Did you and I meet at the Bammer/MSU game, by chance? That handle "rings a bell"... pardon the pun....

Yes thats me

TUSK
02-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Yes thats me

ah, I thought I smelled something.*

sandwolf
02-05-2016, 01:35 AM
I think Saban took this year to take a small shot over the bow of the Mississippi teams.

This is definitely not the case. I honestly can't see Saban ever signing a player just to stick it to another team.....when he gives a commitable offer to a recruit, he does it because he feels like that player can help him win another title. But even if he did engage in petty, counterproductive bullshit like that, it damn sure wouldn't be directed at us. Dan Mullen has never even had a lead against Bama (in 420 minutes of football, he has spent 0 seconds with more points than them), so I don't think that Saban would even offer a recruit a preferred walk on with the intent of sticking it to us.

TUSK
02-05-2016, 02:06 AM
This is definitely not the case. I honestly can't see Saban ever signing a player just to stick it to another team.....when he gives a commitable offer to a recruit, he does it because he feels like that player can help him win another title. But even if he did engage in petty, counterproductive bullshit like that, it damn sure wouldn't be directed at us. Dan Mullen has never even had a lead against Bama (in 420 minutes of football, he has spent 0 seconds with more points than them), so I don't think that Saban would even offer a recruit a preferred walk on with the intent of sticking it to us.

dead. nuts. on.