PDA

View Full Version : Relax - You'll enjoy life a lot more!

engineerdog
02-03-2016, 05:18 PM
I used to be obsessed with recruiting. I poured over the Skuttle-butt and tried to get every bit of insight I could.

Then 2001 happened.

Coming off the dominant defenses State had and then the snow bowl victory, I was sure that 2001 was going to be the year that State won the SEC. The class was loaded with High School and JC talent - Coco Hodge, Clarence McDougal, Paul Broussard, Korey Banks, Corey Brown and more.

I charted the stars for the players and couldn't wait for the season. Then Paul Broussard was freakishly murdered in Texas and the season went into a tailspin.

After beating Memphis, State lost 5 straight games. Finished the year 3-8.

Never really followed recruiting after that and it hasn't hurt me one bit. Tell me who's on the field when the game starts and I'm good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of who we're recruiting and where they might go, but I don't obsess over it anymore. I cheer for State and when the game is over, I enjoy my family. Win or Lose.

Commercecomet24
02-03-2016, 05:41 PM
I used to be obsessed with recruiting. I poured over the Skuttle-butt and tried to get every bit of insight I could.

Then 2001 happened.

Coming off the dominant defenses State had and then the snow bowl victory, I was sure that 2001 was going to be the year that State won the SEC. The class was loaded with High School and JC talent - Coco Hodge, Clarence McDougal, Paul Broussard, Korey Banks, Corey Brown and more.

I charted the stars for the players and couldn't wait for the season. Then Paul Broussard was freakishly murdered in Texas and the season went into a tailspin.

After beating Memphis, State lost 5 straight games. Finished the year 3-8.

Never really followed recruiting after that and it hasn't hurt me one bit. Tell me who's on the field when the game starts and I'm good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of who we're recruiting and where they might go, but I don't obsess over it anymore. I cheer for State and when the game is over, I enjoy my family. Win or Lose.

Wow a concise, rational thought on NSD! I didn't think that was possible! Great post!

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I think Bobby Bowden said it best when he said "You will never win a championship on signing day, but many championships are lost on signing day."

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
This is more than recruiting. It's the culture of average effort.