PDA

View Full Version : Now that everyone is calmer, or at least tired out

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 04:15 PM
I have a question and a few comments....

Do I have enough "cred" here now? Just asking because I hope I don't have to defend myself in 5 page threads in the future.

I've said it in a lot of those threads that I don't have inside info on every subject here. I will also tell you I don't know when I don't know.

But, if I do post something, it's as solid as can be at that time. Like an old coach told a young coach one time, 'Boy, if I tell you it's Christmas in July, go hang up your little red stocking."

Bet some are now wishing they could feel "Meh" today.

As far as today, the only big surprise to a lot of State folks was Lashley. It went sideways after his Bama visit. He got the stars in his eyes and that was that. State's staff was hoping they could bring him back down but Saban and Mario did a good job on him.

AJ was no disappointment, he was never coming, barring a miracle. Everyone remember for the future... it's never good when a HS kid from your state doesn't visit. I don't care if he lives on the campus with his faculty parents. An official visit is a lot different than hanging out on campus. I was hoping he would also pick Bama. But like i said 2 weeks ago, if he took that visit to Ole Miss look out.

Knott was a battle. Went to the wire like i figured but knew Bama had the advantage if they really wanted him. No surprise.

Kobe was a big lean the whole way but hurt us by not committing early. I know he wanted to enjoy the process, but he basically knew he was going to State and hurt the team and himself by not helping them with other recruits. Kobe is a out front leader type guy. Others would have listened to him.

Simmons was a big get. I truly don't think anyone knew where he was going. Ole Miss sure didn't. Yancy 100%'ed him because that's what the Ole Miss staff thought and told Yancy. (And yes, they leak to Yancy. He tweeted the cute pic of AJ real early this morning, before he announced, because his papers were already in.) There is a reason they were stunned, as Low said. They thought they had him and actually, according to Shorter, came in last for him.

Now, we all hate the Ole Miss narrative.

But we have one here, but it won't be used. What's that you ask?

Sure we lost Knott, Lashley and Davis to Bama. No real shame in that if Bama wants them bad enough. AJ went to Ole Miss, but as I
said, we never really had a chance there anyway. They didn't out recruit us for him, no matter what he says. He's saying that to take the pressure off. (That situation deserves it's own post.)

But we did go head to head with Bama and Ole Miss on Simmons, who Ole Miss wanted more than anyone else in State. Make no mistake, he was their #1 guy. He was State's #1 guy. He was Bama's #1 guy in the State of Mississippi.

We didn't have the inside track to start with. We started out even with the others.

So tell this to anybody that says we CAN'T recruit..... we out recruited Ole Miss for the kid we both wanted the most. We out recruited Bama for the kid too.

Think about that. They and State went all out for the kid, and State beat them out, and beat Ole Miss out bad, for the kid we both wanted most.

Hell that looks like a sunshine post, but I've been accused as nothing but negitive for the last month and a half.

Now, let's go hire us a recruiting corner back coach, 28 and Angie

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Do I have enough "cred" here now? Just asking because I hope I don't have to defend myself in 5 page threads in the future.

I've said it in a lot of those threads that I don't have inside info on every subject here. I will also tell you I don't know when I don't know.

But, if I do post something, it's as solid as can be at that time. Like an old coach told a young coach one time, 'Boy, if I tell you it's Christmas in July, go hang up your little red stocking."

As far as today, the only big surprise to a lot of State folks was Lashley. It went sideways after his Bama visit. He got the stars in his eyes and that was that. State's staff was hoping they could bring him back down but Saban and Mario did a good job on him.

AJ was no disappointment, he was never coming, barring a miracle. Everyone remember for the future... it's never good when a HS kid from your state doesn't visit. I don't care if he lives on the campus with his faculty parents. An official visit is a lot different than hanging out on campus. I was hoping he would also pick Bama. But like i said 2 weeks ago, if he took that visit to Ole Miss look out.

Knott was a battle. Went to the wire like i figured but knew Bama had the advantage if they really wanted him. No surprise.

Kobe was a big lean the whole way but hurt us by not committing early. I know he wanted to enjoy the process, but he basically knew he was going to State and hurt the team and himself by not helping them with other recruits. Kobe is a out front leader type guy. Others would have listened to him.

Simmons was a big get. I truly don't think anyone knew where he was going. Ole Miss sure didn't. Yancy 100%'ed him because that's what the Ole Miss staff thought and told Yancy. (And yes, they leak to Yancy. He tweeted the cute pic of AJ real early this morning, before he announced, because his papers were already in.) There is a reason they were stunned, as Low said. They thought they had him and actually, according to Shorter, came in last for him.

Sure we lost Knott, Lashley and Davis to Bama. No real shame in that if Bama wants them bad enough. AJ went to Ole Miss, but as I
said, we never really had a chance there anyway. They didn't out recruit us for him, no matter what he says. He's saying that to take the pressure off. (That situation deserves it's own post.)

But we did go head to head with Bama and Ole Miss on Simmons, who Ole Miss wanted more than anyone else in State. Make no mistake, he was their #1 guy. He was State's #1 guy. He was Bama's #1 guy in the State of Mississippi.

We didn't have the inside track to start with. We started out even with the others.

So tell this to anybody that says we CAN'T recruit..... we out recruited Ole Miss for the kid we both wanted the most. We out recruited Bama for the kid too.

Think about that. They and State went all out for the kid, and State beat them out, and beat Ole Miss out bad, for the kid we both wanted most.

Hell that looks like a sunshine post, but I've been accused as nothing but negitive for the last month and a half.

The only thing I will disagree with, and you said this on Kobe, but that is that with any kind of a decent recruiting effort and if Hevesy was not so repulsive Lashley would have been committed to MSU 6 months ago and then a Bama visit would have been a non-factor. One thing I've learned with Mullen and staff is that they are not good closers late in the process so if we don't have some of our best commits in the boat before the 1st game of the season kicks off then we are likely headed for trouble on the recruiting trail.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 04:26 PM
The only thing I will disagree with, and you said this on Kobe, but that is that with any kind of a decent recruiting effort and if Hevesy was not so repulsive Lashley would have been committed to MSU 6 months ago and then a Bama visit would have been a non-factor. One thing I've learned with Mullen and staff is that they are not good closers late in the process so if we don't have some of our best commits in the boat before the 1st game of the season kicks off then we are likely headed for trouble on the recruiting trail.

Lashley let the process go to his head a little. He was committed then everybody came at him.

Kinda like the plain ole gal that was meek and nice as a sophmore and came back as a junior looking like a new woman and getting asked out and hit on by every dude on campus.

I think his head is still spinning. Too much blame being placed on Hev here in my opinion.

We were the O line man asking him to prom. Bama was the QB

EliteDawgEnforcer
02-03-2016, 04:29 PM
If anyone is doubting Spiderman... I can vouch. He is 100% Bulldog through and through.

Commercecomet24
02-03-2016, 04:29 PM

Great post! Agree that our staff does a better job than folks been giving them credit for. We have a lot of talent in Starkville just gotta get better on the OL. Thanks for your insights.

Dawgtini
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Bravo, Sir!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-03-2016, 04:33 PM

I love what they did, I just wish they did it more consistently. I wish we showed the same effort that we showed on Simmons for some other guys, but maybe that will improve going forward.

confucius say
02-03-2016, 04:36 PM
We also finished ahead of om for Davis and knott (he just confirmed this in cl article, said he thought about flipping this morning) and lashley. That doesn't matter in the long run I know, just saying bama was our problem this year, not om.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
I love what they did, I just wish they did it more consistently. I wish we showed the same effort that we showed on Simmons for some other guys, but maybe that will improve going forward.

I truly think we did.

We had the misfortune of Bama wanting, and having spots for Lashley, Knott, and Davis.

If not, I think we get them all easily, then we'd be dancing in the streets.

It's very rare that Bama want 5 kids out of Miss. and have spots for them in one year. This was the year.

It's just that same ole dog shit State luck that seems to bite us every now and then.

Schultzy
02-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Have we ever signed a DL duo better than Jeffery Simmons and Kobe Jones not to mention Marquisse Spencer from Greenwood? Great DL class this year.

T

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
We also finished ahead of om for Davis and knott (he just confirmed this in cl article, said he thought about flipping this morning) and lashley. That doesn't matter in the long run I know, just saying bama was our problem this year, not om.

!00% correct. You've had some spot on posts today.

Bama killed us. Yeah, Ole miss got AJ but we knew that was gonna be tough. They didn't beat us on anybody head to head on anyone else except maybe that kid from WC but he's been committed to them forever. Have no idea how hard we even went after that kid.

Irondawg
02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
i still hate we lost Derrick Brown to AU - any opinion or insight on that one?

Commercecomet24
02-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Have we ever signed a DL duo better than Jeffery Simmons and Kobe Jones not to mention Marquisse Spencer from Greenwood? Great DL class this year.

T

Absolutely great DL class and add them too fletcher and Mullins from last year. Not bad.

Commercecomet24
02-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Have y'all really stopped to think about how talented and deep our front 7 is right now? Look at the roster and who we picked up today. It's pretty exciting!

Irondawg
02-03-2016, 04:48 PM
i still hate AJ going to OM - I think he's going to be a stud and if that turns out true I'd just assume it be at Bama than have to watch it take place in Oxford.

gtowndawg
02-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Two things -

1.) Hev - enough said. get rid of him.
2.) Even though Ole Miss was 3rd behind us and Bama for several guys, they pull from a larger talent pool to offset those loses. We have no real fall back if we lose to Bama. We have to stop hoping all the in state guys will pick us and get out there and work other areas. Oh, and get rid of Hevesy for pete's sake.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
i still hate we lost Derrick Brown to AU - any opinion or insight on that one?

No. Just that we had no chance.

I will say, in my opinion, not any specific knowledge, that we dicked the dog on it not getting on him long ago.

I have a thought on this type of thing.

Hire a data nerd that is a die hard State guy just out of school that loves football. His job would be to keep up with former players, manager's, student trainer's from the football team. Cards at Christmas, on birthdays, births of children etc. Set up a network, with a flow of info.

Also to scour the top 400 recruits in America as Sophomores or whenever they rank them and look for ANY connection to State.

Use the network created and contacts to the staff's advantage.

That kid should have been top target for a long time.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Two things -

1.) Hev - enough said. get rid of him.
2.) Even though Ole Miss was 3rd behind us and Bama for several guys, they pull from a larger talent pool to offset those loses. We have no real fall back if we lose to Bama. We have to stop hoping all the in state guys will pick us and get out there and work other areas. Oh, and get rid of Hevesy for pete's sake.

Not gonna argue that, but the kids we did go up against them on, we pretty much won, except AJ. And we were behind to start with him.

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 05:37 PM
i still hate AJ going to OM - I think he's going to be a stud and if that turns out true I'd just assume it be at Bama than have to watch it take place in Oxford.

Yes, but UNM has receivers coming out their ears anyway. He will only make them marginally better because receiver is not a big position of need for them. AJ actually had a better chance to jump on the field big time next year with us.

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Lashley let the process go to his head a little. He was committed then everybody came at him.

Kinda like the plain ole gal that was meek and nice as a sophmore and came back as a junior looking like a new woman and getting asked out and hit on by every dude on campus.

I think his head is still spinning. Too much blame being placed on Hev here in my opinion.

We were the O line man asking him to prom. Bama was the QB

Well, I meant being PUBLICLY committed for more than a half hour. Anyone who is not publicly committed in my book is not really committed no matter what they are saying in private. Heck, some public commitments are fragile but they are better than no public commitment.

JoseBrown
02-03-2016, 06:01 PM
No. Just that we had no chance.

I will say, in my opinion, not any specific knowledge, that we dicked the dog on it not getting on him long ago.

I have a thought on this type of thing.

Hire a data nerd that is a die hard State guy just out of school that loves football. His job would be to keep up with former players, manager's, student trainer's from the football team. Cards at Christmas, on birthdays, births of children etc. Set up a network, with a flow of info.

Also to scour the top 400 recruits in America as Sophomores or whenever they rank them and look for ANY connection to State.

Use the network created and contacts to the staff's advantage.

That kid should have been top target for a long time.

You just described Ron Polk..except for the kid thing, and football*** no, really. Hell, I'd do it for season tickets to the big three, I got the time...

bulldawg28
02-03-2016, 06:01 PM
You're my boy spider!!!! Check out that Safety coach!!! I like you spider don't change who you are.

defiantdog
02-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Lashley got caught in the process. And like Womack who's already at Bama, he'll most likely be processed through the line. Lashley needs a lot of work. Mario C likes guys who are ready to play once they hit campus. Lashley is a mean dude, but he's raw. He won't see significant playing time for a while. I'm not saying he should have signed with us, but he needed to sign with a team that will work with him. This was a bad decision on his part. He's a classic case of a small town dude getting caught up in the hype.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 07:07 PM
If anyone is doubting Spiderman... I can vouch. He is 100% Bulldog through and through.

Thanks. But most knew it anyway, they just didn't want to believe it. Or believe what I was saying.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Well, I meant being PUBLICLY committed for more than a half hour. Anyone who is not publicly committed in my book is not really committed no matter what they are saying in private. Heck, some public commitments are fragile but they are better than no public commitment.

He was publicly committed for a good while.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 07:15 PM
You just described Ron Polk..except for the kid thing, and football*** no, really. Hell, I'd do it for season tickets to the big three, I got the time...

Polk was amazing at that. I wish they would hire somebody to do it.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Awesome we beat OM for one guy. And beat nobody else for anybody else. Im gonna leave this here...

So we got the best player in Mississippi and that's great. What the **** else? In comparison to the rest of the real programs in the sec. They get guys from all over. We recruit Mississippi, La, and Alabama hard, or what the staff considers hard. And we don't own any of it. This staff recruits on the level of a mountain west school and that may be insulting to the mountain west.

There are kids all over this damn country that want to play in the sec. Make some ****ing effort and go out and find them. Most other staffs are doing it so there is zero excuse. Our staff is ****ing lazy.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Awesome we beat OM for one guy. And beat nobody else for anybody else. Im gonna leave this here...

So we got the best player in Mississippi and that's great. What the **** else? In comparison to the rest of the real programs in the sec. They get guys from all over. We recruit Mississippi, La, and Alabama hard, or what the staff considers hard. And we don't own any of it. This staff recruits on the level of a mountain west school and that may be insulting to the mountain west.

There are kids all over this damn country that want to play in the sec. Make some ****ing effort and go out and find them. Most other staffs are doing it so there is zero excuse. Our staff is ****ing lazy.

When you figure out how to beat Bama head to head in recruiting, let us know.

We beat OM head to head more than we lost.

We aren't gonna go "national" like OM.

Just gonna have to live with that

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 08:16 PM

Well **** that. We don't even try to compete as a staff. ****ing lazy. At least ****ing compete. If the player might be too far from Macon then well we got no shot. Lazy ****s.

mic
02-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Utah signed 5 kids from Florida... 5... Utah..
Cause it's ever kids dream growing up in Fla to go play football for Utes...
Props to CDE and CKW for doing work...

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Well **** that. We don't even try to compete as a staff. ****ing lazy. At least ****ing compete. If the player might be too far from Macon then well we got no shot. Lazy ****s.

Ok.

Step back alittle and think about it.

We lost a DL, OL and a DB to Bama. We lost an OL to LSU. WE lost aWR to Oklahoma and a WR to OM.

You might be one of the same guys that bitched we were recruiting against Directional Louisiana , Middle Tenn. and UAB.

You are bitching that we didn't go far and wide to find players.

We went head to head with the big boys and lost. We didn't lose kids to Southern or Kentucky, or Tulane.

Except Simmons and Kobe, and the LB from Alabama. (Isn't that a little ways from Macon.)

We are never gonna go all in like Ole Miss, as it is now.

Either except that, or just go ahead and be miserable all the time.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Utah signed 5 kids from Florida... 5... Utah..
Cause it's ever kids dream growing up in Fla to go play football for Utes...
Props to CDE and CKW for doing work...

How good are those kids and what positions do they play? I honestly don't know.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Ok.

Step back alittle and think about it.

We lost a DL, OL and a DB to Bama. We lost an OL to LSU. WE lost aWR to Oklahoma and a WR to OM.

You might be one of the same guys that bitched we were recruiting against Directional Louisiana , Middle Tenn. and UAB.

You are bitching that we didn't go far and wide to find players.

We went head to head with the big boys and lost. We didn't lose kids to Southern or Kentucky, or Tulane.

Except Simmons and Kobe, and the LB from Alabama. (Isn't that a little ways from Macon.)

We are never gonna go all in like Ole Miss, as it is now.

Either except that, or just go ahead and be miserable all the time.

We stay in our little geography and don't try to get out of our little comfort zone. It's lazy. And when we try it's a beat down. Our guys don't have the fire to compete on the level it takes to compete in the sec west at this point.

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 08:48 PM
We stay in our little geography and don't try to get out of our little comfort zone. It's lazy. And when we try it's a beat down. Our guys don't have the fire to compete on the level it takes to compete in the sec west at this point.

It's got nothing to do with that.

You are blinded by what Ole Miss is doing.

We are not gonna do that, whichis, let's call it what it is... cheat institutionally , as long as Keenum, Strick, and Mullen are in charge.

So accept that, or be miserable

mic
02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
How good are those kids and what positions do they play? I honestly don't know.

I have no idea.. Starzzzz don't matter right??.
Point is if Utah can pull 5 players from Florida .. To leave the south and go to freaking Utah... We can get more players from outside our recruiting comfort zone to come play sec ball..

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Point is if Utah can pull 5 players from Florida .. To leave the south and go to freaking Utah... We can get more players from outside our recruiting comfort zone to come play sec ball..

Ok, so we should have had 4 or 5 guys from Florida not signing with anybody, but waiting on us, until we find out if Simmons, Kobe, Lashley, Knott, Cushenberry sign with someone else?

Think about that. That's unreal expectations.

Coach34
02-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Spidey- spin all you want. They are right here. There is more to recruiting than just Alabamy, Sipi, and Looziana

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Spidey- spin all you want. They are right here. There is more to recruiting than just Alabamy, Sipi, and Looziana

Refer to my post above.

Coach34
02-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Ok, so we should have had 4 or 5 guys from Florida not signing with anybody, but waiting on us, until we find out if Simmons, Kobe, Lashley, Knott, Cushenberry sign with someone else?

No- its not unreal- you sign the most talented guys you can- and process the ones that arent working out.

True story- Hev wanted one of our OT's to move on- even found him a D-II school to play at. The kid said he didnt want to leave State and was happy playing on the XP team. We left him on scholarship in 2015. Thats not doing your job as our OL coach. He should have been processed

Spiderman
02-03-2016, 09:06 PM
No- its not unreal- you sign the most talented guys you can- and process the ones that arent working out.

True story- Hev wanted one of our OT's to move on- even found him a D-II school to play at. The kid said he didnt want to leave State and was happy playing on the XP team. We left him on scholarship in 2015. Thats not doing your job as our OL coach. He should have been processed

We were limited on scholly's . No way we could not wait on those guys. As far as processing kids, I have no idea

RezDawg
02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Nm

Coach34
02-03-2016, 09:11 PM
We were limited on scholly's . No way we could not wait on those guys. As far as processing kids, I have no idea

You do what everybody else does- recruit the most talented and the ones that jump on board first get the scholly. This shit aint hard. Our staff is lazy. Lazy. As in shitty lazy.

Sign what u need to do and process what you have to make the numbers work. Its hard for nobody else but us

Coach34
02-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Yeah- but we dont need somebody like Whittingham at State do owe?????

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 09:13 PM
It's got nothing to do with that.

You are blinded by what Ole Miss is doing.

We are not gonna do that, whichis, let's call it what it is... cheat institutionally , as long as Keenum, Strick, and Mullen are in charge.

So accept that, or be miserable

It absolutely has to do with that. I'm not talking about cheating or giving a shit about what OM does which is one and the same. I know of 2 instances this cycle that guys are teed up and one we totally blew off and another we almost did if it wasn't for a hungry guy on staff. One of the only 3 we have. These guys that have been on staff for all these years either are too complacent now to do the job in recruiting or are just ****ing lazy. Either way changes need to,happen.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Yeah unreal to go outwork somebody. Happens all over the country. It's their muther****ing job and they ****ing suck at it. Give some ****ing effort outside the little geography.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Nm

Yep. You're very accurate in that they USED to be. Stay out of this.

mic
02-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Ur missing the point .. Utah signed 5 fla kids.
Which means whatever coach had this territory worked his ass off to find, recruit, stay on, these guys..
Maybe they didn't have any other offers, I have no idea..
But a Pac12 Power 5 school still got them to come cross country.. Shit I'm sure it would be hard to steer these kids away from Ucf, USF, Not to mention southern schools that may have been on them..

So if Utah can pull kids from Fla, why can't we get a couple of OL from the Midwest..???
Again it's ****ing Utah....
Because they work harder...

Percho
02-03-2016, 09:20 PM

As someone once said, "there are WR's on every corner in Fl,"********

Percho
02-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Utah continued to grow its influence in the state of Florida, thanks in large part to assistant coach Dennis Erickson, who Whittingham said has "instant credibility" in the state after several successful years coaching in Florida. Utah signed five recruits from South Florida, including RB Devonta'e Henry-Cole, QB Tyler Huntley, RB Zack Moss, WR Demari Simpkins, and LB Donavan Thompson.