PDA

View Full Version : OK; something that's made me feel better

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
and maybe it will you too.

I went back and looked at last years class on 247 and Scout and compared it to this years class. I think we all can agree last years class was considered a pretty darn good group.

On 247

2015 avg. player was rated an 87.68
2016 avg. player was rated an 87.14

On Scout

2015 avg. player was rated a 3.25 star
2016 avg. player was rated a 3.33 star

We're not ranked overall in the rankings where we would like to be, but it boils down to we signed 18 this year and 28 last year. The overall number of signees is what has kept us from ranking higher this year. Next year we get to sign the full 25 plus what I imagine would be a few more to count back to this year.

The next step we all need to take is to regroup and all start pulling in the same direction again. Simmons gave us a good start.

cheewgumm
02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
We can't continue to be 40th, while our competitors are 1-5

Political Hack
02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Good perspective. It's not a deep class, which is dangerous though. If we miss on any it's magnified. Attrition hurts worse. Injuries hurt worse. Etc...

I think you should always sign 25 and then process some. Every other sec school does it. I know the media loves to stir crap up in MS when we do it, but they should shy away from it because of that. It's a necessary evil that I've slowly come to realize is 100% necessary if you're going to compete with other sec teams.

thf24
02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
It's not the overall ranking that's concerning. It's missing big on a position of need.

Covercorner2
02-03-2016, 03:54 PM
We can't continue to be 40th, while our competitors are 1-5

26th on Rivals and 30th on 247. Probably the best two sites. Been to an Orange Bowl with worse....

Dawgtini
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM

I went back and looked at last years class on 247 and Scout and compared it to this years class. I think we all can agree last years class was considered a pretty darn good group.

On 247

On Scout

We're not ranked overall in the rankings where we would like to be, but it boils down to we signed 18 this year and 28 last year. The overall number of signees is what has kept us from ranking higher this year. Next year we get to sign the full 25 plus what I imagine would be a few more to count back to this year.

The next step we all need to take is to regroup and all start pulling in the same direction again. Simmons gave us a good start.

I hear the naysayers, but I was looking at our average rankings vs. the number of commits and thought the same thing earlier today and it did confirm just what you stated. Glad to see the comparison to last year as well. +1

messageboardsuperhero
02-03-2016, 03:59 PM
It's not the overall ranking that's concerning. It's missing big on a position of need.

Bingo. It's mostly frustration that we could have ended up with a significantly better haul had the staff (besides Turner) gotten of their ass and not taken a couple of players for granted. Not much you can do about Farrar and Cushenberry having their dream schools offer at the 11th hour- but you can get off your ass and show kids from West Point and SHS that you want them. With our need at OT, how in the hell do you not sign Johnnie Cooks's nephew from West Point? Inexcusable on Hev's part.

ScoobaDawg
02-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Exactly.....this can't be stated enough

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Hack, I agree on the processing part. But did I dream it or did the NCAA come out with a new rule that it is now a 4 yr deal instead of year to year in football?

On a related note, I'm still hearing the Knott situation is not a closed deal. I'm wondering if he agreed to a greyshirt deal with them. May be the reason we saw the tweets we did this morning. I know he sent in his paperwork because they list him, but I'm wondering if greyshirts are considered differently than the others.

Johnson85
02-03-2016, 04:10 PM

On 247

On Scout

People that are miserable are losing perspective, but at the same time, there is still reason to be frustrated with the staff even though they ultimately got a solid class.

If you are going to focus recruiting locally, you are going to have to take advantage when the local talent is strong. Lashley was a gift to us this year. We had a sibling connection with Knott. AJ was literally in our back yard. Some of those connections are overrated and none of them mean you should get all of them, but you've got to do better than 2 for five. And we also had a strong family connection with Derrick Brown. Again, not going to win all of them, but you've got to close on them sometimes.

I really think the only huge loss was Lashley, but two or three playmakers can make a huge difference, and it's disappointing that we did so poorly on a class that should have set up well for us. Hopefully '17 we'll do a better job of capitalizing.

Dawgtini
02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
People that are miserable are losing perspective, but at the same time, there is still reason to be frustrated with the staff even though they ultimately got a solid class.

If you are going to focus recruiting locally, you are going to have to take advantage when the local talent is strong. Lashley was a gift to us this year. We had a sibling connection with Knott. AJ was literally in our back yard. Some of those connections are overrated and none of them mean you should get all of them, but you've got to do better than 2 for five. And we also had a strong family connection with Derrick Brown. Again, not going to win all of them, but you've got to close on them sometimes.

I really think the only huge loss was Lashley, but two or three playmakers can make a huge difference, and it's disappointing that we did so poorly on a class that should have set up well for us. Hopefully '17 we'll do a better job of capitalizing.

Well said.

gtowndawg
02-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Thank you. And it's not like we missed on a few 5 stars from California that chose USCe over us at the last second. That's a moral victory I suppose. But we missed in positions of need, from guys that grew up in the shade of Davis Wade the year after we were ranked #1 in the country for a while. We dropped the ball on several players that could have made the difference in beating a premium team(s) that we have struggled to beat lately.