PDA

View Full Version : You're a fool if you're calling for Mullen's head today

AlmostPositive
02-03-2016, 03:07 PM
..over what might happen in two years.

Apparently some people want an MSU head football coach with 19 wins in the past two seasons fired for losing the Ole Miss stars game. This must be close to neurological disorder. Whatever it is, it is absurd.

ScoobaDawg
02-03-2016, 03:12 PM
If you don't understand that the players we missed out on... will hurt us.. And that the Stars DO MATTER...
I can't help you.
Unless you are happy going to a bowl game every year But losing to Bama, LSU, and UM at least... EVERY YEAR.

Dan made the state a priority when he got hired...and the egg bowl. Then he experienced success and got cocky and hasn't kept that drive.

We got our asses kicked today. Yes there were some good things on the day.
But our weakness in the OL from a recruiting and coaching point... will be worse. because of today.

And no I'm not saying he should be fired today... But the actions of the day show the state of the program.

Op4isabitch
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
I don't want Mullen gone unless he is to stubborn to do something about a couple of assistant coaches.
If he won't make those adjustments then it's time for him to go. No time for another Croom/McCorvey type relationship fiasco. This is big money business, no room for butt buddies.

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Apparently some people want an MSU head football coach with 19 wins in the past two seasons fired for losing the Ole Miss stars game. This must be close to neurological disorder. Whatever it is, it is absurd.

Yep, it's totally, absolutely, stark raving insane.

Dawgface
02-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Agree even though Mullen pisses me off a lot.

GumpDawg
02-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Look I like ole Mulligan but he needs to move Heav to TE and Sallach to a desk. Hire a OL coach and let them work.

Johnson85
02-03-2016, 03:23 PM
If you don't understand that the players we missed out on... will hurt us.. And that the Stars DO MATTER...
I can't help you.
Unless you are happy going to a bowl game every year But losing to Bama, LSU, and UM at least... EVERY YEAR.

Dan made the state a priority when he got hired...and the egg bowl. Then he experienced success and got cocky and hasn't kept that drive.

But our weakness in the OL from a recruiting and coaching point... will be worse. because of today.

And no I'm not saying he should be fired today... But the actions of the day show the state of the program.

All of this is true and the original post is still true (at least the title). This recruiting season was a huge wasted opportunity and that's on the staff, and people that want him fired over it are still idiots.

HaggardDawg
02-03-2016, 03:23 PM
I think minimal heads need to roll and Dan needs to be reprimanded for the crap he pulled from November til today. Scott and Keenum need to send a message that talking to other programs before signing day will get you fired, period. The heads that need to roll are the usual, Hev and Sallach. We are pretty much conceding one recruiter by trotting Sallach out there and we are losing players because of Hev. Inexcusable for an SEC program. Cut the fat. Bring back Grimes if need be and hire a recruiter to coach tight ends and special teams. As long as David Turner is on staff with our additions, we will always recruit good defensively. Give Gonzo some help with the offensive recruits and hire 2 bang up recruiters.

Coursesuper
02-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Then the mother****er needs to quit trying to leave when he has been given everything he has asked for and more. And if we had an Oline that wasn't shat we would have been a playoff team and have a few more wins.

Tbonewannabe
02-03-2016, 03:24 PM
If we could move Sallach to the office and hire 2 first rate recruiters, a lot could be solved. Dan has built a good program but he has to fix the Oline to compete for championships.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Why make a blanket statement that 99% of the board agrees with? Who are you calling out, 2 people? We can't fire Mullen right now, but he damn sure needs to make some changes and I don't think he will do it.

ShotgunDawg
02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
If we could move Sallach to the office and hire 2 first rate recruiters, a lot could be solved. Dan has built a good program but he has to fix the Oline to compete for championships.

I don't agree.

The problem with our program rests with the fact that the head coach sets the pace in recruiting. Mullen could hire all the recruiters in the world & it wouldn't make one bit of difference unless Dan Mullen makes it his committment in life to be a GREAT recruiter & passionately pursue that every day.

It starts with him, & he has to make changes, if this problem is to be fixed

mic
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM

He doesn't really want to be here...!!!!!!. That's the problem.. And if anyone thinks differently they have neurological disorder.. If he can change that mindset it will be a start...

And with the " We won 19 games the last 2 years" ... That's great I agree.. .. We are 2-10 against Bama, LSU, and UMiss the last 4 years..

gtowndawg
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM
This thread is M-State summed up.

1/3 are just glad we didn't lose to a Maine the last few years (that's my Dad God love him)
1/3 are fine with being "good" (I assume that's almost positive)
1/3 want to be THE best and apply as much pressure as possible to make it so (I fall into that category)

Political Hack
02-03-2016, 03:40 PM
If he takes the company plane on a job interview in 2016 he needs to be fired before the wheels touch down. We need unequivocal, undeniable, unmistakable commitment from him. No menacing of words. No avoiding reports. He needs to come out with something stronger than a "pine box" statement as soon as whispers of his name are mentioned for another coaching job. ANYTHING short of that and I'll help him pack.

If he does that though, and keeps winning 9/10 games a year with an occasional run at Atlanta, he can stay as long as he wants. That's the truth and no amount of bitching on a message board will change that.

Bully13
02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Requiring a HC being paid 4 mill to be dedicated and apply 100% effort to the program shouldn't be asking too much. Letting hevesy hang around while looking into jobs like MD and others tells me he's not all in. He once was i believe but something changed. We don't need someone who doesn't want to be here. That goes for players too. It just never ends well.

GreenheadDawg
02-03-2016, 03:45 PM
He doesn't really want to be here...!!!!!!. That's the problem.. And if anyone thinks differently they have neurological disorder.. If he can change that mindset it will be a start...

And with the " We won 19 games the last 2 years" ... That's great I agree.. .. We are 2-10 against Bama, LSU, and UMiss the last 4 years..

Game. Set. Match. Maybe we can join the SWAC and go undefeated and then these guys can run around telling everybody that we are undefeated!

GreenheadDawg
02-03-2016, 03:47 PM

1/3 are just glad we didn't lose to a Maine the last few years (that's my Dad God love him)
1/3 want to be THE best and apply as much pressure as possible to make it so (I fall into that category)

Put me into the 3rd category as well. If these guys can't see how years like this hurt us then I don't really know what to say

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 03:48 PM
If he takes the company plane on a job interview in 2016 he needs to be fired before the wheels touch down. We need unequivocal, undeniable, unmistakable commitment from him. No menacing of words. No avoiding reports. He needs to come out with something stronger than a "pine box" statement as soon as whispers of his name are mentioned for another coaching job. ANYTHING short of that and I'll help him pack.

If he does that though, and keeps winning 9/10 games a year with an occasional run at Atlanta, he can stay as long as he wants. That's the truth and no amount of bitching on a message board will change that.

Yep, when Mullen took our HC job he said that most all fan bases tire of their HC and want him gone after 10 years. Well, to me it seems that our HC has grown tired of us after 7 years and is/was looking to get out. THAT is the problem. If Dan would act committed to us then most everybody would be all in on him. What happened today IMO was mostly due to a disengaged HC and some bad recruiters on staff. That's a REALLY bad combination.

HoopsDawg
02-03-2016, 03:48 PM

If I were Stricklin, I would tell Mullen to tell his agent that his name better not come out for any more job openings. If it does, he better hope he gets that job.

t45fixer
02-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Maybe he will understand he can be a great coach, even though he's complete retard at job interviews.

AlmostPositive
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
I will say it again: You are a fool to elevate recruiting -- i.e., projected future results -- over actual recent on-the-field record.

The irony is that OM has done that for years and roundly denounced, rightly so, for it right there.

If you want Mullen fired for talking to Miami, that is a different issue.

blacklistedbully
02-03-2016, 04:01 PM
He has said before, I think shortly after his hiring, that around 7 years is when a good chunk of the fans want a HC gone.

The problem is, MSU is not like other schools, and I think Dan has brought this crap on himself. If he had stuck with the, "relentless effort" he's preached to our kids all this time, and made it a point to flat-out deny interest in other jobs, rather than be cute with it and claim he, "doesn't respond to those type inquiries", etc he would not find himself with a significant portion of our fanbase pissed off at him.

He did it to himself.

Oh, and if he really did almost accept the Maryland job, I don't give a damn what he's done here, I want his ass gone as soon as we can find a good replacement. UGA I could understand, but freakin' Maryland???

I, for one would love it if Strick, Keenum and the cigar boys started putting out feelers every year for a hot prospect HC. Screw Dan. If he can play that game after the way we've treated him and his family, then I hope he knows we're gonna constantly be on the lookout for a new HC. Let him know we've got just as much right to shop our HC job as he has to shop himself to other schools.

Maryland, people. Let that sink in. According to some, Dan thinks Maryland would be a better job. If that's true, we don't need him around here.

Bucky Dog
02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I will say it again: You are a fool to elevate recruiting -- i.e., projected future results -- over actual recent on-the-field record.

The irony is that OM has done that for years and roundly denounced, rightly so, for it right there.

The problem is the group measuring themselves against OM and their cheating ways and numbers. Yes I want recruiting to get better but damn people!

Dawgtini
02-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Yep.

Coursesuper
02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

The deal is that the two things are closely related. If you think that other schools out there are not using that against us then you have issues. We cant fight uphill any more thatn we already have to. one leads to the other.

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 04:05 PM
If I were Stricklin, I would tell Mullen to tell his agent that his name better not come out for any more job openings. If it does, he better hope he gets that job.

As long as Football Scoop, Coaching Search, and the others like them exist his name will always be trotted out there every single year during recruiting season and there isn't anything you, Dan, or his agent can do about it. Some of us believe every troll job out there and help them spread it. Dan was contacted by one program, Miami, by phone. Miami initiated the contact. I know most of you refuse to believe that but from everything I can find out it's the truth.

mic
02-03-2016, 04:08 PM

The chances that will ever be told to Mullen by Scott are about as good as you actually being our AD hoops dawg... But I love where your heads at..

AlmostPositive
02-03-2016, 04:10 PM
I would rather lose every damn game than be know as Ole-Miss-level cheaters.

If you care more about football results than the basic integrity of your institution, you may need to do a major rethink.

Ole Miss will get theirs soon enough. If you want to get an early start on wetting the bed over MSU's next season, be my guest.

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 04:13 PM
As long as Football Scoop, Coaching Search, and the others like them exist his name will always be trotted out there every single year during recruiting season and there isn't anything you, Dan, or his agent can do about it. Some of us believe every troll job out there and help them spread it. Dan was contacted by one program, Miami, by phone. Miami initiated the contact. I know most of you refuse to believe that but from everything I can find out it's the truth.

This year was different though. This year you had MSU insiders saying he wanted to leave. And its no coincidence that the coaching search rumors hurt us MUCH more in recruiting this year than it has before and that's because this year the rumors were TRUE.

mic
02-03-2016, 04:13 PM

Well if so .. Our PR department is so quick to get into pissing contest and "No I'm not , Yes you are".. tweets about little bullshit stuff with these hacks, why not come out and blast them for putting this shit out there... And do it right away not days later..
Rip their ass, call them out, embarrass them, make them name sources, Ect.... Basically treat them like bitches.. And the shit will stop..

blacklistedbully
02-03-2016, 04:15 PM

BS! All Dan would have to do is emphatically deny the rumor and make a statement about how thrilled he is to be at MSU. But Dan doesn't do that. Dan seems to think it is in his best interest if he lets those rumors (true or not) circulate. Screw that! Strick and Dr. Keenum need to make it clear to Dan that shit ends NOW!

We pay that guy $4 million a year. We can damn sure require him to vociferously make it clear how much he likes it here and how he intends to stay.

mic
02-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I would rather lose every damn than be know as Ole-Miss-level cheaters.

If you care more about football results than the basic integrity of your institution, you may need to do a major rethink.

Ole Miss will get their soon enough. If you want to get an early start on wetting the bed over MSU's next season, be my guest.

Don't worry , we are never going to stoop to their level,, we don't even have a clue how.. They are basically waving their cocks in the face of the NCAA Before they bang it's wife... If the NCAA has balls it's coming..

Dawgtini
02-03-2016, 04:17 PM

Come on mic. Saban at Alabama has lost 10 games in the 7 seasons Mullen has been here. LSU and OMU don't fair as well because we have beat them. Granted, we haven't been as close against UA as we have against LSU or as successful as we have against OMU, but we have not looked anything like "Churchill say.." days. On top of that we have not had a Maine game and lately, the last 2 years, we have destroyed opponents that used to be squeakers. We need more studs on the OL, we need better depth in a few positions, but you have to admit that the overall (overall) trend is positive.

TrapGame
02-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Don't worry , we are never going to stoop to their level,, we don't even have a clue how.. They are basically waving their cocks in the face of the NCAA Before they bang it's wife... If the NCAA has balls it's coming..

This right here.

FISHDAWG
02-03-2016, 04:23 PM

and at least some of us are in the category of "I know we can't fire him but he no longer has my support"

RougeDawg
02-03-2016, 04:29 PM
BS! All Dan would have to do is emphatically deny the rumor and make a statement about how thrilled he is to be at MSU. But Dan doesn't do that. Dan seems to think it is in his best interest if he lets those rumors (true or not) circulate. Screw that! Strick and Dr. Keenum need to make it clear to Dan that shit ends NOW!

We pay that guy $4 million a year. We can damn sure require him to vociferously make it clear how much he likes it here and how he intends to stay.

All day. He never even denied that he was looking elsewhere and had put his name in the hat. He has shown absolutely zero drive and fire the last season and a half on and off the field. He refused to make changes himself and with the program that are glaring issues.

rbdog82
02-03-2016, 04:32 PM
The chances that will ever be told to Mullen by Scott are about as good as you actually being our AD hoops dawg... But I love where your heads at..

You'd be surprised. The topic was brought up in November.

LC Dawg
02-03-2016, 04:33 PM

The problem isn't just losing the Ole Miss stars game its that we are also losing the actual Ole Miss game and pretty solidly. We had some pretty good connections in this class and we seemed to have failed miserably on using them to our advantage. We also missed a good opportunity to significantly improve our OL. We were dead last in our division today and four teams from the division are in the top 10. I know we can't fire Mullen but if next year's class is not much better than this year's we may as well get ready for quite a few Birmingham and Liberty Bowls and accept that we won't own the Golden Egg for a while.

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
This year was different though. This year you had MSU insiders saying he wanted to leave. And its no coincidence that the coaching search rumors hurt us MUCH more in recruiting this year than it has before and that's because this year the rumors were TRUE.

As I said, most here will refuse to believe it.

mic
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
You'd be surprised. The topic was brought up in November.

If so he has my vote...

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 04:41 PM

He has denied it every time he has been asked. He blew it off as the BS it was this time.

maroonmania
02-03-2016, 04:44 PM

It doesn't freakin' matter what I believe. When MSU people and insiders are saying Mullen is ready to leave recruits WILL believe it. And that is what happened this year.

mic
02-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Come on mic. Saban at Alabama has lost 10 games in the 7 seasons Mullen has been here. LSU and OMU don't fair as well because we have beat them. Granted, we haven't been as close against UA as we have against LSU or as successful as we have against OMU, but we have not looked anything like "Churchill say.." days. On top of that we have not had a Maine game and lately, the last 2 years, we have destroyed opponents that used to be squeakers. We need more studs on the OL, we need better depth in a few positions, but you have to admit that the overall (overall) trend is positive.

I didn't saying it was bad or good.. Everyone throws out 19 wins past 2 years and how bad it used to be and brings up the past.. So I revert to the past and say over the last 4 years this is the record..
Because how long can us beating Auburn 3 of 4 and Ark 4 of 4 last??? We slip up there then what?? 7 wins .. 6 wins.. And the non conference is about to get tougher.. No more 4-0 OOC locks..

We just can't #acceptaverage.

blacklistedbully
02-03-2016, 04:49 PM
He has denied it every time he has been asked. He blew it off as the BS it was this time.

Not true. He may have once, but it was well after tons of damage had been done, and probably after he knew he'd screwed-the-pooch. His usual response was something like, "I don't respond to these type rumors. They come every year." He might throw in a, "I like it here where I'm at", but he did not emphatically put an end to it, as he could have.

blacklistedbully
02-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Were you headed to Gene's Page and just took a wrong turn?***

RougeDawg
02-03-2016, 04:54 PM

This is/was the exact reason it was used against him. He was nonchalant about denying it and to any 17-18 year old kid, an opposing coach can easily use this and make it look like Dan is leaving or wants out. We cannot view these situations with logic from our perspectives and life experiences. these are impressionable, gullible and most time ignorant kids, by no fault of their own. Other coaches know how to use this impressionable, naive mentality to land consistently higher classes than we do.

This is where we as fans go wrong observing/evaluating our classes and where our coaches go wrong recruiting.

TUSK
02-03-2016, 04:59 PM
When is Dan's current contract up? Why not just restructure it to a heavily incentive based deal?

dawgs
02-03-2016, 05:31 PM

His name keeps getting trotted out because his agent keeps putting it out there. David shaw got a handful of mentions for jobs a few years ago, but he never gets more than a cursory mention these days, not because he sucks now but because he and his agent don't float his name for every opening. Freeze is the exact same. Gary Patterson rarely is considered a serious candidate for jobs. Art briles isn't rumored to be up for every job from Minnesota to Maryland to Miami to uga, and are you telling me they wouldn't love to have briles??

The point is there are lots of coaches that have had more consistent success than Mullen out there coaching at programs with similar or less cach? than we do, yet their names disappear from the coaching carousel faster than it appears. It ain't because of some media conspiracy against msu, it's because they tell their agents to pull their names as fast as they get mentioned.

confucius say
02-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Well if so .. Our PR department is so quick to get into pissing contest and "No I'm not , Yes you are".. tweets about little bullshit stuff with these hacks, why not come out and blast them for putting this shit out there... And do it right away not days later..
Rip their ass, call them out, embarrass them, make them name sources, Ect.... Basically treat them like bitches.. And the shit will stop..
I agree

confucius say
02-03-2016, 05:48 PM
His name keeps getting trotted out because his agent keeps putting it out there. David shaw got a handful of mentions for jobs a few years ago, but he never gets more than a cursory mention these days, not because he sucks now but because he and his agent don't float his name for every opening. Freeze is the exact same. Gary Patterson rarely is considered a serious candidate for jobs. Art briles isn't rumored to be up for every job from Minnesota to Maryland to Miami to uga, and are you telling me they wouldn't love to have briles??

The point is there are lots of coaches that have had more consistent success than Mullen out there coaching at programs with similar or less cach? than we do, yet their names disappear from the coaching carousel faster than it appears. It ain't because of some media conspiracy against msu, it's because they tell their agents to pull their names as fast as they get mentioned.

Then we need to stop blasting football scoop on here. Bc apparently it's not them making up stuff about our coaches leaving, it's our coaches' agents. Can't have it both ways

confucius say
02-03-2016, 05:49 PM
It doesn't freakin' matter what I believe. When MSU people and insiders are saying Mullen is ready to leave recruits WILL believe it. And that is what happened this year.

What msu people and insiders did you read or hear say dan is ready to leave?

fishwater99
02-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I can't help you.

Exactly

We can not lose out on players on our backyard like Lashley and Brown...

The Big 6..

Jones -State
Simmons - State
Brown - Northern Miss
Knott - Bama
Davis - Bama
Lashley - Bama

dawgs
02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
The problem is the group measuring themselves against OM and their cheating ways and numbers. Yes I want recruiting to get better but damn people!

Well the problem isn't just that it's OM beating us, it's that everyone in the conference that we would like to compete with is kicking our asses. And OM is a very comparable program on top of being out rival, so when we sit here watching them sign a top 5 class for the 2nd time under freeze and being in the top 15 the other 2 years in between, then of course we are going to get pissed because why can't we sell a player on playing for us while OM can? If it's cheating, then we need to get better at cheating.

EAVdog
02-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Mullen is a phenomal coach. We develop players better than most anyone and for the most part our offense can be lethal. But in year 7 we have two issues really:

1. Coaching Instability.

2. Recruiting.

Both can be fixed. But real steps are needed. I want to think that there is an emphasis on recruiting with our new hires. But damn we need to structure their contracts so we're not the revolving door of assistants. And Mullen has to do something about the real or perceived focus on job shopping. It's year 8 decide if you want to commit or if your 'mid-life' crisis was more than that.

dawgs
02-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Then we need to stop blasting football scoop on here. Bc apparently it's not them making up stuff about our coaches leaving, it's our coaches' agents. Can't have it both ways

I've never called football scoop a liar and never blasted them for reporting what they have, at least not since some of mullen's early flirtations with programs like Minnesota, which at the time I thought was laughable. Most hot coaches have an offseason or 2 that they get floated around but most either take another job or eventually put a halt to the shit. How many coaches can you think of being linked to this many coaching searches over 6 or so years without taking one? I can't think of any others. Face it, Dan and only Dan can stop this shit but telling his agent to shut it down at the first phone call and he hasn't done that.

Coach34
02-03-2016, 06:05 PM

thats BS. Mullen talked to Georgia, Miami, and Maryland. And if the Georgia AD had gotten his way- Mullen would be the coach at Georgia. He got out voted

Coach34
02-03-2016, 06:11 PM

This.....this....this...read this people- this is the deal 100%

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 06:12 PM
So we got the best player in Mississippi and that's great. What the **** else? In comparison to the rest of the real programs in the sec. They get guys from all over. We recruit Mississippi, La, and Alabama hard, or what the staff considers hard. And we don't own any of it. This staff recruits on the level of a mountain west school and that may be insulting to the mountain west.

There are kids all over this damn country that want to play in the sec. Make some ****ing effort and go out and find them. Most other staffs are doing it so there is zero excuse.

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Exactly.....MSU people never know when to shut up.

I seen it dawg
02-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Ding ding ding

Liverpooldawg
02-03-2016, 06:14 PM
thats BS. Mullen talked to Georgia, Miami, and Maryland. And if the Georgia AD had gotten his way- Mullen would be the coach at Georgia. He got out voted

Whatever you say boss.

AlmostPositive
02-03-2016, 06:26 PM
If the name Charlie Shira means anything to you, you wouldn't be non-stop badmouthing an MSU football coach coming off nine and ten win seasons.

That is all.

EAVdog
02-03-2016, 06:27 PM

I was surprised he didn't go to UGA. I said it after they fired Richt that McGarity wanted to hire Mullen. I heard that directly from someone who worked under Richt for 5 years. They even surmised that the deal was in place prior to Richt being fired. I would not have blamed him if he would have left. UGA is a upper echelon program due to being the only SEC school in Georgia. I still am not sure that he wasn't offered the job, my connection was pretty adamant that Richt would not have been fired if Mullen would not have already been in the works.

Miami, Maryland, no explanation.